Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
There are so many loving games coming out for this thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Also a 2DS is not going to cut it for SNES classics, the 2DSXL is needed for that since it has the same innards as the New 3DS.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Guy Goodbody posted:

There are so many loving games coming out for this thing.

No but see Switch games only sell well because there's no games on the system and furthermore *faaaaaaart*

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

I though octopath traveler was a game about cephalopods and I'm still excited but in a different way now

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Remind me again what's included in the xb2 special edition

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

Why are they still doing 3ds games though, I just can't go back to that aliasing

Money

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Dr. VooDoo posted:

No but see Switch games only sell well because there's no games on the system and furthermore *faaaaaaart*

You seem to have farted in the middle of your true statement re: the current library relative to other platforms. Please continue to describe the real hunger for software on switch.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

It's kind of crazy the Switch is still in launch year and I already have a bunch of amazing games for it yet there's still more loving coming. I usually have buyers remorse the first year of any console I get at launch typically but with the Switch I can't sop buying carts every month to put into my mouth

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

So, there's been a direct about every few months and TGS in a week or so. Hoping we'll find out what's going on with PlatinumGames & Retro Studios sometime in the next six months.

The direct at the start of the year announced a lot of games, this one recently clarified a lot of stuff. If they start the next year with another stack of announcements and a schedule for their one-game-per-month strategy, then top it up through the year then we'll be sitting pretty.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Okami HD when
Dragon Ball Fighter Z when

Holy poo poo the Switch is getting DOOM and Wolfenstein 2

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

well why not posted:

So, there's been a direct about every few months and TGS in a week or so. Hoping we'll find out what's going on with PlatinumGames & Retro Studios sometime in the next six months.

The direct at the start of the year announced a lot of games, this one recently clarified a lot of stuff. If they start the next year with another stack of announcements and a schedule for their one-game-per-month strategy, then top it up through the year then we'll be sitting pretty.

Nintendo historically stays out of tgs

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Yeah people forget that they were still selling NES games 3 and 4 years after the SNES came out.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Infinitum posted:

Dragon Ball Fighter Z when

I'm deathly afraid that nobody's going to buy Xenoverse 2 when it comes out on Switch because we all just want FighterZ and then we won't get FighterZ because nobody got Xenoverse 2

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Dr. VooDoo posted:

It's kind of crazy the Switch is still in launch year and I already have a bunch of amazing games for it yet there's still more loving coming. I usually have buyers remorse the first year of any console I get at launch typically but with the Switch I can't sop buying carts every month to put into my mouth

Signs of impending doom

the Gaffe
Jul 4, 2011

you gotta believe dawg
Mario Odyssey Switch bundle preorder:

http://www.gamestop.com/nintendo-switch/consoles/nintendo-switch-super-mario-odyssey-bundle/153465

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Tatsuta Age posted:

I though octopath traveler was a game about cephalopods and I'm still excited but in a different way now

Have you not played Splatoon 2? Because you should play Splatoon 2 :v:.

Calaveron posted:

220 page hardcover artbook, steelcase, soundtrack 'selection' CD.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
I don't know who decided to make Peach a Healer / Guardian / Tank in Mario XCOM, but I love them.

Why are there even characters besides Rabbid Luigi and human Peach?

This game owns way too hard. I'm so sorry I made fun of the E3 presser.

e: also I traveled with the system for the first time and resumed the game from sleep mode when I docked it. Best console?

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

Manky posted:

I'm deathly afraid that nobody's going to buy Xenoverse 2 when it comes out on Switch because we all just want FighterZ and then we won't get FighterZ because nobody got Xenoverse 2

A lot of people bought XV2 when it released in Japan last week.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

if mario has nipples that means luigi has them and wario has them and waluigi has them.

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

Calaveron posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/908100574419099648

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Personally I think it's bullshit that an Italian plumber from Brooklyn doesn't have any chest hair.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Mahoning posted:

Personally I think it's bullshit that an Italian plumber from Brooklyn doesn't have any chest hair.

He waxed

He's a metrosexual

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Waltzing Along posted:

Did Xenoblade look like a 10 year old game to anyone else?

The Switch is basically ten year old technology (a slightly better Xbox 360).

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Shards of Fate posted:

Seriously, Mario looks insane. Looking forward to the reveal that there will be double the worlds upon finishing the first set ala 3D Land.
I'm imagining something like Galaxy 2.5

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Mahoning posted:

um excusee.but i heard he was no longer a plumber

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

Given that Mario Odyssey looks to be one of the all time greats, the first year for Switch has to go down as best ever for any console. The SNES is probably the only real comparison, as it launched with Super Mario World and then had Link to the Past in the first year period (August 1991 it launched, April for LttP) and was bolstered by other great games in that first calendar year- Castlevania 4, FZero, Contra 3 and some other good ones. Super Mario Kart released juuuust after the anniversary of launch by a couple days so I'd include that as well.

Some other systems launched with a killer app (N64 with Mario64, Xbox with Halo: CE, Gameboy with Tetris, NES with Super Mario Bros.) but it would take awhile for other "all-timers" to come out.

First year of Switch has BOTW and (most likely) Mario Odyssey anchoring it, with Splatoon 2, Mario Kart and Mario/Rabbids as really good other games plus whatever else is coming out this year. Pretty crazy.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

a.lo posted:

um excusee.but i heard he was no longer a plumber

I bet the union kicked him out when they saw his 10-year-old boy chest.

Free Cheese
Sep 16, 2005
Come on, it's free
Buglord
Hes a rapper he spits hot fire

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

Given that Mario Odyssey looks to be one of the all time greats, the first year for Switch has to go down as best ever for any console. The SNES is probably the only real comparison, as it launched with Super Mario World and then had Link to the Past in the first year period (August 1991 it launched, April for LttP) and was bolstered by other great games in that first calendar year- Castlevania 4, FZero, Contra 3 and some other good ones. Super Mario Kart released juuuust after the anniversary of launch by a couple days so I'd include that as well.

Some other systems launched with a killer app (N64 with Mario64, Xbox with Halo: CE, Gameboy with Tetris, NES with Super Mario Bros.) but it would take awhile for other "all-timers" to come out.

First year of Switch has BOTW and (most likely) Mario Odyssey anchoring it, with Splatoon 2, Mario Kart and Mario/Rabbids as really good other games plus whatever else is coming out this year. Pretty crazy.

RIP Monster Hunter XX :smith:

Smash Bros Melee was a killer app and an all-timer, I know the community has gotten kind of toxic which makes looking back on it weird but that's still a great game.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Waltzing Along posted:

Did Xenoblade look like a 10 year old game to anyone else?

the first Assassin's Creed came out in 2007 so play that and then come back and try to tell us it looks better than any Switch game

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

it helps that it will now have the GOTY 2016 DOOM as well

I'm sure Kingdom Battle, Zelda, Odyssey, ARMS, Splatoon 2 will all be on my best-of list at year's end so that's crazy for a launch console. I'm stoked to see what comes next besides Kirby for 2018.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

2018 better have Animal Crossing. Please Nintendo. I need to donate fish to a mueseum

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

I think I'm kind of done with Animal Crossing unless they
1) Give you unlimited storage space or let you re-order anything from the catalogue so you don't have to hoard.
2) Make it so neighbors will never leave without asking you about it. Or you can designate like two neighbors to not leave. The thing that really killed the game for me was when I put it down for a week and my favorite neighbor moved away :( Then I would play even if I didn't feel like it and hound all my neighbors trying to prompt the "I'm thinking of moving!" dialogue so I could stop them.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!
Gamestop has pre-orders for the Odyssey Switch bundle up. Just grabbed one for my niece for X-mas. Comes with the Switch with red joycons that match his hat color, a special red carrying case and the digital game. No wedding amiibos, sadly.

a.lo posted:

if mario has nipples that means luigi has them and wario has them and waluigi has them.

How many times do I have to tell you to keep it in your pants?

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Tender Bender posted:

I think I'm kind of done with Animal Crossing unless they
1) Give you unlimited storage space or let you re-order anything from the catalogue so you don't have to hoard.
2) Make it so neighbors will never leave without asking you about it. Or you can designate like two neighbors to not leave. The thing that really killed the game for me was when I put it down for a week and my favorite neighbor moved away :( Then I would play even if I didn't feel like it and hound all my neighbors trying to prompt the "I'm thinking of moving!" dialogue so I could stop them.

The Welcome Amiibo update introduced the concept of curating your neighbors with amiibos/amiibo cards. It's pretty sweet, I bought a bunch of cards and now I can permanently keep who I want around. If they move, I can just wait until they move, and use the Amiibo card to call them back for no charge.

Furry Hunter
May 5, 2005
Professional Fursecutor

a.lo posted:

I have nipples, Greg. Can you milk me?

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

FireMrshlBill posted:

How many times do I have to tell you to keep it in your pants?

how do you keep nipples in your pants

this is a rhetorical question

Bean
Sep 9, 2001
https://twitter.com/britishgaming/status/908317209944043521

I played the Primrose part of Octopath Traveler. Haven't done Ooglethorpe or whoever yet. Thoughts:

- yes
- i need it
- give it to me
- Even though the art is Extremely My poo poo, it's really obviously rough in a few places, like when Primrose is carrying the torch through the dark dungeon.
- It's actually kind of hard. Or, at least, the dungeon enemies aren't a pushover. The boss wrecked me the first time and I had to go back and level up and try again.
- The final boss of the area could have EASILY been lifted out of FF6
- Primrose's gimick of picking up Johns and using them in battle wasn't as helpful as I had hoped, but maybe it's because it was the first area and the real useful guys are in later levels.
- I love me some story in games but good goddamn they could cut every other line out of this and be okay.
- Celes got to sing an entire opera and Primrose didn't even get one lovely five second pixel art dance? Come on, Square. I was real mad at that fade out. I'm a straight girl, it's not creepy.

Overall I do love it. I'm an old nerd desperately thirsty for some late era SNES/PSX rpgs, though. There's plenty of us. During the direct, I kept telling my husband, "That looks like Final Fantasy 6! It looks just like Final Fantasy 6!" He, uh, didn't think so, but what he didn't get was that Back In The Day that's what we all thought Final Fantasy 6 LOOKED like.

Give me a release date, Square, so I can vomit money at you.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
I only skimmed the direct and didn't finish the demo but I hope Octopath is 8 different stories and less the first hour or two is setting up the chosen protagonist but the rest of the campaign is the same as the other 7

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Octopath Traveler is extremely good

Although they did keep saying "customs" instead of "customers"

• Locked thread