Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Tank Boy Ken posted:

It's over 450 now.

If only WTFO could get those numbers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Warhawk109
Mar 13, 2017
This is the closest thing to an actual ELE, and no Derek.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Toblakai posted:

I'm wondering this myself. I'm also wondering why the gently caress are the characters glitching so often to the T-pose.

If you take for example a crappy engine like Gamebryo, you can see a lot of fun stuff there too, but not so much T-poses.

aleksendr explains the twisting pretty well. T-poses tend to be a sign of missing or confused animation states, or perhaps more commonly missing transitions between states. For double bonus points, it may be a direct consequence or component of the aforementioned stretching problem.

The animation procedure is asked to run animation XYZ on model ABC and the game goes “uh… no idea what XYZ is, I'll just soft-fail and run the default (t-pose) instead.” or, to transition from pose #132 to pose #4 and say the same thing because you've asked for something silly or something that doesn't exist. Or — the bonus variant — it'll say “ehm… animation XYZ is intended for Ship Objects. I'm a Character Object, you idiot. So poo to you with knobs on, I'm showing the default t-pose instead.” It's a particularly likely scenario if they've introduced a type checking in an attempt to get the spaghettification under control but haven't quite gotten around to fixing the issue of confusing one character object for another.

The fact that a consistent theme with the player object is that it seems to often get confused about exactly what kind of (and which) object it is also goes a long way to explain why it has such a strong tendency to get confused about what animations to run.

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK

Warhawk109 posted:

It's ok, Derek has a bot set up to randomly tweet "I called it" every few hours. (It's the first twitter bot to pass the Turing test!)

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

Warhawk109 posted:

Don't worry, he's going all out on Twitter.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

TheAgent posted:

not soon enough, it feels like

they better have something loving amazing planned for citcon because this is really it for them

Can you add a bit about a large organisation getting a $45k refund to this thing whatever it is, if so, yes please. The more current it is, the more mad certain people will get.

ModernSociety
Jul 12, 2017

I want it all, I want it all, I want it all, and I’ll wait for years,

Adventure seeker on a bug filled street,
Just a Reddit creeper, light on his feet
A young warlord screaming, that his new blog’s out,
With the pain and anger having just T’d out,
It ain't much I'm patchin’, I heard him say,
Gotta find me a delta, and download today.

Listen all you FUDdies, come gather round
I gotta get me a game loop, gotta shake outta this the ground
Just take my, nickel and my dime,
Crobberts do you hear me, that a really good sign,
It ain't much I'm asking, just give me facts not truth
Here's to the future, coming 3.2,

He’s a man with a one track mind,
Nothing to play, they’re takin’ their time
Not a man for compromise but all about just living lies
So he’ saying it all, yes he’s saying it all,
And I'm buying it all, and I'm buying it all,

[Sick Thumb Solo]

It ain't much I'm asking, just give me facts not truth
Here's to the future, coming 4.2,

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Combat Theory posted:

Don't worry, he's going all out on Twitter.

Yeah, does appear warlord switch has been activated.

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.
I think I need to do a Roberts/Fleetwood mac matchup

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rcjpags7JT8

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

The true ELE was the Gamescom presentation.

Because it was such a disaster, they couldn't release 3.0 as planned around Sept 8.

They had probably pressed for an embargo on the Eurogamer interview until the 11th.

Since they planned to have 3.0 out on the 8th, with its new Early Access/no-refunds TOS, they were not concerned with how the Eurogamer article would be received. It would just reinforce the messaging of the TOS and recharacterization of 3.0 as Early Access.

Eurogamer abided by their embargo and published on the agreed date.

The red flags waved at the Gamescom event (on top of the past years of non-performance to promises) were enough to lend credibility to the leaks/rumors of no-refunds.

When a heavily-invested whale signals that this is the last chance for refunds, it makes sense that others will follow.

Chris' hubris in going ahead with the presentation and thinking he could spring the Early Access trap despite the state of the project is solely responsible for the current cascade.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

I am beginning to think internet poster SC_White_Knight is over his head.

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKsWNzKjVEk&t=117s

BloodyScab
Sep 12, 2017

by Smythe
My fingers are so sore from faking all these refunds. Its someone elses shift now.

Richie Stardust
Mar 30, 2016

Mr Fronts posted:

Kind of makes me appreciate just how hard-nosed Frontier Developments had to be when initially getting Elite out the door.

The internal pressure to "keep adding just one more thing" must have been immense. They self-published, so no external voice of reason/compromise/reality existed.

FD went from "backer Alpha" through to "initial release" in 12 months, and had a bunch of really difficult go-or-no-go decisions to navigate throughout the latter part of the process in 2014.

- Offline Mode was a promise from late in the kickstarter process, before they were over the line. Their project team eventually threw up their hands and said, "you know what, this offline mode needs a second parallel game core, which will eat our focus and resources". They made the call to chop it and focus on just ONE game core.

- A million "cool" mechanics that were proposed, discussed and often expected, but which simply did not exist in late 2014.

- A million more "essential" mechanics that were super-basic in their implementation.

FD are still unravelling the giant, tangled ball of string that is their game world, with layered extensions, unconnected additions, odd early implementations and so on. This is the future the internal purists would have been shouting about, with dire prophetic warnings of mess, frustration and so on.

But...

Elite Dangerous exists. Frontier Developments is a going concern with several real self-published products.

Having no publisher making the HARD decisions means someone internal has to be the one capable of making the hard decisions.

Because somebody certainly has to do it.

No, you don't need a publisher to make hard decisions. When the hard decisions come up you just sound off with a loud and public "Yes!"

You don't understand game development.

Slow_Moe
Feb 18, 2013

:justrub:

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!

TheAgent posted:

not soon enough, it feels like

they better have something loving amazing planned for citcon because this is really it for them

Have you played: Dream Daddy yet?

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

BloodyScab posted:

My fingers are so sore from faking all these refunds. Its someone elses shift now.

Where'd you leave off from on the Excel sheet?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Colostomy Bag posted:

Where'd you leave off from on the Excel sheet?

BZ column, row 263

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

Were those not fine days, when we drank of clear honey, and spoke in calm tones of our love for the stuff?
prediction: in an attempt to quiet down the brown sea and hold back the refund cascade, todays burn down chart will have lots of critical bugs being marked as fixed. no 3.0 date will be given but they'll deliver a vague promise like, 'closer than ever' or 'sooner than expected'. in another week the amount of blockers will jump up.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Nicholas posted:

prediction: in an attempt to quiet down the brown sea and hold back the refund cascade, todays burn down chart will have lots of critical bugs being marked as fixed. no 3.0 date will be given but they'll deliver a vague promise like, 'closer than ever' or 'sooner than expected'. in another week the amount of blockers will jump up.

Really going out on a limb today aren't ya?

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
You all don't get it.
Crobblz is trying something never attempted before in game development.
Get funded by your customers perpetually so that you can perpetually develop update your game.

This is sure to fail spectacularly, which is why everyone else considers it either a scammy model or a one-way to bankruptcy innovative and clearly working wonders for the BDSSE.

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

Golli posted:

The true ELE was the Gamescom presentation.

Because it was such a disaster, they couldn't release 3.0 as planned around Sept 8.

They had probably pressed for an embargo on the Eurogamer interview until the 11th.

Eurogamer abided by their embargo and published on the agreed date.

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
We do these things not because they are easy, but because we thought they would be easy.
Grimey Drawer

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Remember that time Derek _________________________ and we all laughed?

:allears:

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

Yo! The Mafia supports you. But don't tell no one. Spread the word.

SCROLL BUTTONS... never looked so good
Scrolling up and down... like you knew they would

ModernSociety posted:

[Sick Thumb Solo]

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

BloodyScab posted:

I'm up!

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
PC INVASION: Star Citizen backer gets huge $45,000 refund - https://www.pcinvasion.com/star-citizen-backer-gets-45000-refund
GAME-DEBATE: A Star Citizen Player has Just Successfully Received a $45,000 Refund - http://www.game-debate.com/news/23720/a-star-citizen-player-has-just-successfully-received-a-45-000-refund

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!
Crobbler is still out sailing in his rental $15K per day yacht so he doesn't care about any of this.

notoriousman
Nov 18, 2007

I'M AWARE I'M
AN IDIOT

Rad Russian posted:

Crobbler is still out sailing in his rental $15K per day yacht so he doesn't care about any of this.

I'd care; these damned leavers just robbed him of three days!

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
lol we're back to "you just don't understand game development"

I'm glad of it

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

HycoCam posted:

Have you played: Dream Daddy yet?
yea

maybe I'll throw in a gay love scene with Commodore Parpman since he's already rockin the DSLs

Rahtas
Oct 22, 2010

RABBIT TROOP FOREVER!
This video for starforge popped up in my Youtube recommendations. It is like Star Citizen's timeline shrunk down. Except instead of getting quiet, CIG is still trying to appear legit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3vA-EE4HwE

I remember this game. It was when I was young and naive and didn't know that Early-Access Open World Survival meant 'this will never be done, please donate the money you'd spend on this to charity instead".
I played it, like, twice. Once after I bought it and years? months? after that to see if it had gotten anywhere. It hadn't.

But watching that video and the bits about squelching criticism and going quiet when things go bad reminded me to a TEE (t? tea? teak?) of Star Citizen.

That's my Star Citizen story.

Get a refund.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007
When will objective bastion of games journalism PC Gamer have their story about the $45k refund up?

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Toblakai posted:

Are you calling ... an ELE?

What's an ELE and why has nobody even mentioned this before now?

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

smg77 posted:

When will objective bastion of games journalism PC Gamer have their story about the $45k refund up?

lol

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

I have insights in the love pledge dev team and things don't go well. The last bit is that the capital ship supposed to star in the erotic final action broke in half on an iceberg on the way to the mocap studio, leading to a two weeks delay.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Toops posted:

Elephant Leaver Event

It's when a land based big backer gets a refund.

The Pi dude
Oct 19, 2013
Buglord

Toops posted:

It's a type of phone. Derek called it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

Yo! The Mafia supports you. But don't tell no one. Spread the word.

Tank Boy Ken posted:

It's over 450 now.

Comment in that $45k refund thread from the OP:

"What should worry you is that this $45k is just the official org assets, it's not even the ships belonging to every individual in our group, who are going to start refunding too, and will make $45k look like nothing. Tick tock time's run out Chris Roberts."

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen_refunds/comments/6zy3ko/just_refunded_3_completionist_packages_for_a/dmz61ws/?context=3