Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xbox Ambassador
Dec 23, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT BEING THE BIGGEST CRYBABY ON THE FORUMS

mysterious loyall X posted:

dark souls pvp is for cuckolds frankly

This

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
DS3 pvp invading was frustrating, but also fun, because the times that you manage to kill the guy with 4 summoned phantom helpers is very rewarding. i can't imagine doing the fight club or arena stuff MLG style, though

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

In Training posted:

I enjoyed ds2/3 but I think Bloodborne proves they shouldn't really ever do direct sequels and just make more new stuff all the time

Bloodborne is my favourite souls game. I haven't played DeS so maybe it will surprise me.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Human Grand Prix posted:

Bloodborne is my favourite souls game. I haven't played DeS so maybe it will surprise me.

DeS is great. things are rough around the edges, but exploring boletaria is awesome, and the end boss (well, penultimate) is one of my favorite fights in the series. i wish i'd played it when it was new, though, because with years of experience with the format i steamrolled the bosses.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

I really liked having a hubworld with numbered levels. Demon's Souls is basically a twisted Mega Man game

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

My fave invader was a man in township whose name was a small picture of siegmeyer who just held a big party where everyone danced around and occasionally he would drop an item called PENIS that never showed up in my inventory

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I hate in these games when you use the duel areas and it's always some guy with a parry weapon or a buckler and a +10 katana

Oh Long Johnson
Oct 22, 2010
PVP is the most fun when you do something weird and creative like use chameleon in a really obvious spot and parry the person when they strong attack or pretend to be an enemy or knock them off ledges, etc

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Laying all the traps in the rat covenant area and running across the brides back and forth until they had to chase you

Oh Long Johnson
Oct 22, 2010
Scraping Spear and the acid cloud spell in Demon's Souls

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

In Training posted:

Laying all the traps in the rat covenant area and running across the brides back and forth until they had to chase you

lmao

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Oh Long Johnson posted:

Scraping Spear and the acid cloud spell in Demon's Souls

having 99 near instant full heals at all times

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

mysterious loyall X posted:

dark souls pvp is for cuckolds frankly

lmao i think the idea of 1v1 honor duels in a game where lag warps people around all the time is dumb as hell but the absolute chaos of bell/ratbros in 2 was amazing, scholar upped the playercount too

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

If Dark Souls PVP is for cuckolds, then lock me in the cuckshed and throw away the key.

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002
If you're having a bad time with souls pvp, you aren't dropping enough prism stones

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

One time me & fairport trapped an invader at the bottom of an elevator shaft, throwing Hello items down at him for like 10 minutes until he jumped off a ledge

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

One of the things I liked doing in dark souls 2 was helping someone through the wharf by pointing out secrets and then when they tried going through the boss door, I would backstab and kill them.

dark souls 3 invasions were godawful because the host had so many advantages. The only fun I ever had invading was when I put on that ring that makes you invisible from a distance and shot a gank squad with dragonslayer arrows for 10 minutes.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

The advantages the host had made the victory all the sweeter.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

There are probably no games that I have such overwhelming fond painful nostalgia for then from PVP success stories across all Dark SOuls games.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

net cafe scandal posted:

The advantages the host had made the victory all the sweeter.

I never invaded after a while because 4v1 is so boring

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Also having like, matchmaking based on weapon levels was gay.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
i get invaded a lot but dont do any invading and i never use phantoms of any kind, so all my souls pvp has been fun

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

worst prt is you couldnt even drop it in a bottomless box to get to a lower weapon level, that was fuckin retarded

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

invading was really cool whn it worked out though, tricking first-timers into triggering traps in carthus is pure italian chef

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

Fungah! posted:

worst prt is you couldnt even drop it in a bottomless box to get to a lower weapon level, that was fuckin retarded

This part I agree with, but I like the matchmaking system as it is. I felt like I had more control over what pool of players I'd be matching with, even if it took me a playthrough or two to get a good idea of what level ranges were for the areas

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Fungah! posted:

invading was really cool whn it worked out though, tricking first-timers into triggering traps in carthus is pure italian chef

i really wish they'd perfected the rat covenant in 3, and made you like a dungeon master type character who sets traps and unleashes monsters

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

One time me & fairport trapped an invader at the bottom of an elevator shaft, throwing Hello items down at him for like 10 minutes until he jumped off a ledge

lol

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

extremebuff posted:

lmao i think the idea of 1v1 honor duels in a game where lag warps people around all the time is dumb as hell but the absolute chaos of bell/ratbros in 2 was amazing, scholar upped the playercount too

i mean stupid 1v1 crap. i didn't do and of the ds2 extra clan stuff becasue i wanted the game to be over as soon as possible

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
steam is running a bandai/namco sale today, and DS3 is 60% off

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
what's the current best bet for a PC controller? i would need to buy one to play DS3.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

sector_corrector posted:

what's the current best bet for a PC controller? i would need to buy one to play DS3.

360 pads fine

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

sector_corrector posted:

I like the Xbox one controller the most

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002
Xbone controller for 36 bucks with coupon code EMCRKBF39 (ends at midnight I think)
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16874103563

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

HolePisser1982 posted:

Xbone controller for 36 bucks with coupon code EMCRKBF39 (ends at midnight I think)
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16874103563

sick, thanks dude. should be here within a few days.

i got the 60% off on DS3 PC (played it on PS4 previously). considered getting the season pass, but to be honest i'll wait until that's even cheaper during a sale.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
i was fooling around with KB+M just now since my controller won't be here for a few days, and lol, that's tough

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

sector_corrector posted:

i was fooling around with KB+M just now since my controller won't be here for a few days, and lol, that's tough

i remember it being outright broken without dsfix, they did not care lol

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

extremebuff posted:

i remember it being outright broken without dsfix, they did not care lol

DS3, this time, which "works" out of the box

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

The southern half of Florida basically hasn't had internet for over a week now. I wanted to play this but remembered I also had dragons dogema installed and I barely remember my PS3 strider play through so I've been binging that. Playing as a mage is broken as gently caress

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
i'm thinking about what i want to do for my next DS3 run, and a STR / PYRO build seems like fun. maybe a beefy 2hand sword for my weapon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

I still need to do the second dlc but I'm just not at the point yet where I can replay vanilla ds3 after burning myself out on it