Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

félicitations 100yrs,~

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Pinterest Mom posted:

félicitations 100yrs,~

Merci! I'll admit I've got a bit of a chip on my shoulder about the whole thing since I just studied on my own, while my fellow laureates did a year's training program at some university. To be fair the English portions of the test were production wise a cakewalk. I still had content to learn plus I even learned how to write passably in French. It was a tough year.

PMush Perfect posted:

The first LIS is wonderful. The new one is a scab game with none of the old cast because they're on strike.

Yeah we really enjoyed it. Saved Chloe for the win. We did spend the whole game saving her to let her die good golly. Some of the writing was embarrassing but in its own charming way.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Hello hello. I hope all has been well since my Irish Goodbye. I took a break to study for my teacher's exam, which I passed and now I'm a week in of being a bonafide English teacher in France. I still can't believe they're entrusting children's education to me, since I don't know what I should be doing, not really sure what the exam was supposed to be preparing me for...

Anyway, life is going well even if I'm super busy. I'd love to play a small game and be yelled at for being dumb and terrible. Anything recruiting?

Congrats!

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

Mordiceius posted:

Join my game, grandicap. We only need one more.

Sorry Mord, in the HP thing and I only do 1 thing (or 0 things usually) at a time these days.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Sjoin mor'd GAME

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

GulagDolls posted:

I now have to deal with so many people saying "see I knew the hurricane wouldn't be bad." its awful. the emotional damage is incalculable. please contribute to my gofundmepage

Wheres the link? I'll def contribute.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this
I have begun to worry recently the ways that the discord is affecting our community. This thread is used a lot, lot less and I worry that it's connected to the overall mafia stagnation I feel is going on.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this
I like the discord a heck of a lot but I miss this thread quite a bit too

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Eh, this thread still gets a lot of use. We just don't have 20 pages of Buzzfeeds now

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

buzzfeeds got people in the door, and once they were in the game joining/building/discussion happened

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy
quote this post and i'll vanish for 100 pages

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

derp posted:

quote this post and i'll vanish for 100 pages

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

BottleKnight posted:

I have begun to worry recently the ways that the discord is affecting our community. This thread is used a lot, lot less and I worry that it's connected to the overall mafia stagnation I feel is going on.

More like the way discord is affecting every community. A vast majority of the popular threads/subforums I frequent have their own discords now which both makes things harder to keep up with and greatly diminishes thread communication.

I think it's something too where you have 5-10 regulars that will change their focus to 90% discord/10% thread and then you end up with people that would be thread only posting less frequently because everyone else is.

Just my speculation.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Zesty posted:

Normal threads on this forum have standards about keeping on topic.

I don't understand why this thread being impenetrable is a problem that can't or shouldn't be solved. Some people really dig the Crew discussion and that's great. It will never hurt for activity. But a separate Mafia chat will have a better time retaining people who want to stay in the community without riding the roller coaster that is this thread. We lose good friendly people all the time that just can't keep up.

Someone wants to take a break from playing Mafia. Now every time they open their SA Mafia feed there's 200 posts per day that have little to do with mafia to catch up on or skip. Just imagine you're the kind of person who doesn't want to ever read that or just doesn't have the time commitment to read it like you used to. I think it's a lot more difficult than you realize to jump back in.

If it was me, I'd rather take my Mafia break but still read the 10-20 Mafia-specific posts per day. Being able to do a quick scroll and see the Mafia-specific discussion, the posts announcing that a game has ended in a ~~Mafia~~ victory, and knowing the onslaught of the Crew thread is a single thread away is actually rather inviting. It keeps me engaged and willing to come back sooner because it provides an easy way to keep up with things.

It's a Choose-Your-Own-Commitment.

Zesty posted:

I'm not sure how you get more cliquish than to say people should just deal with one thread where actual Mafia discussion is drowned out by your mini social network.

Is this what you've been thinking? This is exactly what I've been saying. Let's just make it clear which thread is silly and which thread is Mafia.

How do you ignore that old timers don't try and keep up because the discussion thread is usually a hot mess of off-topic discussion? You're right that nothing stops them from hitting last page and posting something Mafia related, but how do people who don't care for the mess but want to see the Mafia-related discussion get the chance to see it when they have to play needle-in-a-haystack to find the Mafia chat?

This thread is really terrible if you just want to enjoy Mafia discussion but don't care for the rest of it. There's totally a barrier whether it affects you or not.

Soaring Kestrel
Nov 7, 2009

For Whiterock.
Fun Shoe
hello. I never really posted in this thread save for vf stuff and the discord has helped me engage w the community in a way that I would not otherwise have

use your opinion of me to determine whether that's a net benefit

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I'm mostly just in the thread still these days.

Better for shitposting, records them for everyone to enjoy.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Met groused about everything

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

long time readers will certainly recall me advocating for the death of buzzfeed posting and clique central but I can't deny that it had the result of keeping people engaged on the forums. It's my opinion of course that the engagement here led to a much easier sell on joining/building games and altogether maintaining a community through the games just as much as through the conversation.

Jamuraan
Oct 10, 2005

Jamuraan, J.D. in Critical Reasoning and Logic
Ask me about how good I am at party games! Please god ask me about how good I am at party games!
I like the current state of Mafia discussion thread. I appreciate not having to wade through 1000000 garbage posts. Keep that on discord.

Tldr; everything is fine

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

You might prefer reading the disc thread this way but the issue isn't how the disc thread reads

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Just to provide a counterpoint - I think one of the overriding reasons for games filling slower these days, regardless of Discord vs. Disc Thread, is that I see players consciously saying "I'm only playing one game/FRG/thing at a time." This is pretty darn different from even a year ago, and probably counts for a lot.

That being said, it's probably time for another recruitment game. What subforum do people want me to run something in? Is GBS good or crap these days?

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Podima posted:

Just to provide a counterpoint - I think one of the overriding reasons for games filling slower these days, regardless of Discord vs. Disc Thread, is that I see players consciously saying "I'm only playing one game/FRG/thing at a time." This is pretty darn different from even a year ago, and probably counts for a lot.

That being said, it's probably time for another recruitment game. What subforum do people want me to run something in? Is GBS good or crap these days?

BYOB

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
BYOB is actually pretty okay now.

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

Podima posted:

I think hte plan is to run 3 recruitment games, one per month for oct, nov, and dec. Or at least that's what I was thinking. TNL and I have planned to run a recruitment game in a subforum in November, and I believe Bif expressed interest in running one as well.

Soaring Kestrel
Nov 7, 2009

For Whiterock.
Fun Shoe

Podima posted:

Just to provide a counterpoint - I think one of the overriding reasons for games filling slower these days, regardless of Discord vs. Disc Thread, is that I see players consciously saying "I'm only playing one game/FRG/thing at a time."

This is a really good point, I know I made that decision after realizing I couldn't keep track of two sets of players at the same time

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Whichever forum has the writer competitions

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

Jonathan Fisk posted:

Creative Convention

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Podima posted:

Quality of games is inversely proportional to how many games the players in it are playing.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Jonathan Fisk posted:

unironically a fantastic idea

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Mr. F! posted:

I think hte plan is to run 3 recruitment games, one per month for oct, nov, and dec. Or at least that's what I was thinking. TNL and I have planned to run a recruitment game in a subforum in November, and I believe Bif expressed interest in running one as well.

Would a Cookfia recruitment in the cooking thread be worth it? It feels too gimmicky to really represent what we do here.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Mr. F! posted:

Oh yeah! Forgot that conversation. Dibs September then :) What subforum do you want? Any one in particular?

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Jonathan Fisk posted:

If we do this it needs to be either an Ecco game or a Pod game on the level of the Shine series

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
[MAFIA] Death Of The Author

Edit: oh poo poo I'm inspired now. Does anyone hang out in that sub forum and recommend a specific mod to reach out to?

Podima fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Sep 14, 2017

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

Podima posted:

Oh yeah! Forgot that conversation. Dibs September then :) What subforum do you want? Any one in particular?

Hmm, not particularly sure where we are going to run it. Maybe in the Film subforum? Cause we're doing it on Return of the Killer Tomatoes.

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Would a Cookfia recruitment in the cooking thread be worth it? It feels too gimmicky to really represent what we do here.

Hmm, that could be a very fun way to reach out to that community. I think it'd work fine if you chose to do that.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

That would definitely be done with co-mod in that case. We'll call it "Dinner with a side of MURDER".

But yeah I don't ever go there. We'd need to contact a mod and get permission etc right? Well that'll be an endeavor to undertake maybe after Christmas.

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

100YrsofAttitude posted:

That would definitely be done with co-mod in that case. We'll call it "Dinner with a side of MURDER".

But yeah I don't ever go there. We'd need to contact a mod and get permission etc right? Well that'll be an endeavor to undertake maybe after Christmas.

Yeah just hit up a mod over there to get the OK and you're good

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

MAFIA POSTER HOMEWORK ASSIGNMENT

consider whether a recruitment game would be viable in your favorite forum or subforum.

If it is, mention it here to see if any other regular of that forum would go in on a game with you.

Make a game!

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
What if we make a recruitment game

In trad games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

I don't want those people