Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Al Borland Corp. posted:

So you're saying it's a final fantasy

I think it's actually a pokeymans

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
The series stems from FF2 in a lot of ways, so kinda-sorta?

Never really played the SaGa games but the way I interpret them is they're what you'd get if Final Fantasy games could get head trauma.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Improbable Lobster posted:

I think it's actually a pokeymans

drat I forgot about Pokemon. There's seven rpgs. gently caress, eight if you count Tecmo's Sword of the Stars.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
When is square going to remaster brave fencer musashi?

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Al Borland Corp. posted:

drat I forgot about Pokemon. There's seven rpgs. gently caress, eight if you count Tecmo's Sword of the Stars.

Is Tecmo Bowl a football RPG?

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

cheetah7071 posted:

If you're gonna be extremely reductive about RPGs then how do Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest not end up in the same extremely reductive category

I know this is not your point, but if we're doing a flowchart with "Role-playing Video Game" at the top, the difference in perspective between DQ and FF is where I definitely make the first split off.

And I know I can't bring myself to play games that put you in the DQ first-person perspective during battles. Something about it makes the whole exercise feel too abstract. Gotta see my dudes take one step forward and do a 4-frame animation.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Thank you all. If it's being made by the same people then I guess it's a spiritual sequel? Anyway, Primrose was fun. Battling is simple but fun enough. And it's all very pretty. I put the voices on Japanese though, when they VO in English I feel like I have to hear them out which just dragged things out. I'll get to Knight dude later this weekend.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

It's not made by the same people.

edit: at least im pretty sure it's not.

raditts posted:

SaGa is lesser-known Square RPG series that started as a trilogy on Gameboy that was released in the US as "Final Fantasy Legend," followed by an SNES series of three more games called "Romancing SaGa" that never made it out of Japan until it got re-released on mobile recently, and then a PS1 series of two more called SaGa Frontier during that phase when pretty much every mediocre RPG was getting a US release in the wake of FF7.

The comparisons come from SaGa Frontier being structured as seven disparate smaller stories of individual characters that intertwine with one another.

Nope, Secret of Mana is the second game in the Seiken Densetsu series (which started with what came to the US as "Final Fantasy Adventure" and remade as "Adventures of Mana") and is in fact a spinoff of Final Fantasy.

There's three other games there as well. Unlimited SaGa and the remake of Romancing SaGa 1, both of which are on PS2 and in English, and Scarlet Grace which is Vita exclusive.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
really hope vs super mario bros will be out before odyssey. kinda hilarious that the closest thing to the virtual console is through those neo geo arcade guys but whatever, i'll take it. actually really pump about it tbh, i'm assuming they'll have the same stuff the neo geo ones have, like the time trials and one life high score stuff. gonna rock.

edit: oh poo poo looking over the list of vs. arcade machines and i didnt know castlevania had one. oh please oh please oh please.

Vikar Jerome fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Sep 14, 2017

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Al Borland Corp. posted:

On further reflection, it's a skysrim

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

Vikar Jerome posted:

really hope vs super mario bros will be out before odyssey. kinda hilarious that the closest thing to the virtual console is through those neo geo arcade guys but whatever, i'll take it. actually really pump about it tbh, i'm assuming they'll have the same stuff the neo geo ones have, like the time trials and one life high score stuff. gonna rock.

Speaking of, does anyone know how the VS arcade games are different? I'm pretty sure there are some subtle differences.

For example, I'm pretty sure VS Castlevania has a pretty aggressive timer since it was an arcade game.

I might actually be interested in arcade Punch Out.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

katkillad2 posted:

Speaking of, does anyone know how the VS arcade games are different? I'm pretty sure there are some subtle differences.

For example, I'm pretty sure VS Castlevania has a pretty aggressive timer since it was an arcade game.

I might actually be interested in arcade Punch Out.

i read that vs super mario bros goes all lost levels but i don't know how true that is.

gonna get vs mario bros, super mario bros, castlevania, punch out and maybe tetris if they do that one.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Vs. SMB has a different level order and a few stage changes. It is actually harder in the long run.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

The real question is will they keep the 3 minute max timer in vs super Mario bros

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Improbable Lobster posted:

On further reflection, it's a skysrim

Western rpg's don't count. Those are first person shooters

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Played Octopath for an hour and a half last night. Finished the warrior's story and recruited the 2nd character but didn't go check out the ruins (?) or do the quests that opened up, aside from one in the desert town where you just beat up some jerk.

Some thoughts:
- Voice acting is rough but I'd be shocked if the voices are finalized. Some of them sound like they were probably SE employees but I *think* Olberic's voice actor is Fenrich from Disgaea 4?
- Would like to be able to skip through text faster at times.
- Combat is pretty straightforward and the weapon swapping to hit weaknesses is neat.
- Break mechanic in combat is hilariously OP and even when solo if you can hit an enemy's weakness in 2 hits or less you can stunlock them forever, basically.
- Fighting 2 enemies with 1 hit stun means you can alternate targets each turn to lock them down and slowly kill them without taking damage (or you just AOE them repeatedly).
- Turns that you spend extra points on probably shouldn't generate a new point next round but in the full game I imagine it won't feel as overpowering.
- Character unique Path skills are really cool and I imagine there's going to be some insane/complex/hidden quests in the main game that makes use of most/all those skills.
- Load times are rough but it's a beta/demo so I'd be kinda shocked if they weren't.
- Game screams I'M A SAGA GAME so much that the only reason they might not call it SaGa Frontier 3 is because the name isn't as well known outside Japan.
- I'm probably going to want (pixelated) amiibos of all 8 characters.
- Bloom effect feels a bit extreme but it might also just be my 9 year old TV at this point. Olberic was basically a glowing white blob in the bandit cave though. Definitely needs some work though.
- Items don't seem to have a description when you highlight them, such as when using items in combat? It's needed and one of many things going in the survey.

Verdict: Day 1 pre-order.

In that Nintendo Direct there were Definite Switch Buys of Mario Odyssey, Octopath Traveller, Xenoblade Chronicles 2, and possibly Kirby. I might get EO5 for my 3DS, assuming it's not "New 3DS2/DS only" but I didn't get very far in to EO4 before other games pulled me away.

DOOM and Wolfenstein would be buys for me except I've already beaten DOOM on PC and if I'm going to replay that, or play Wolfenstein it'll be on PC since I have a 1440p 144hz monitor.

Real hurthling! posted:

I played some octopath traveller and its good. Battle system is cool. but not being able to skip conversations makes me not want to play it

I'd like to be able to skip through conversations (faster, since pressing A speeds up the text) as well but it's by no means a deal breaker. I imagine there is going to be a LOT of talking in the full game though.

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

$64 is pretty cheap for eight 3350 mAh cells with a good charging/protection IC

Don't buy it if you plan to use it while flying because I'm pretty sure that thing is well over what TSA allows on planes.

Zutaten posted:

Octopath Traveller is SaGa Frontier in a witness protection program, given a nice new home on the Switch. And I'm the nosy neighbour looking at it, going "Don't I know you from somewhere?"

This game is SaGa Frontier 3. Like, in the "what other feedback do you have for us" section that survey will likely have, my first this is going to be CALL THIS SAGA FRONTIER 3 GODDAMNIT.

Though hopefully this game is actually finished, unlike SaGa Frontier. :smith:

(I know SaGa Frontier 2 was finished but it wasn't a very good game. Especially the last war battle where it was basically "turtle in a very specific way and pray the AI doesn't move until turn X or you lose, period."

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Gonna :lol: if Octopath outsells the latest Final Fantasy Road Trip

It won't but if if the buzz is good for it over the next few months it could make a killing since the only other RPG competition it has is Xenoblade and they're two very, very different styles of RPG. Like if this game pulls out unexpected sales the way Xenoblade Chronicles and Bravely Default did we're probably going to get a near-immediate "oh yeah we're making another of these without question" kind of response.

Frankston posted:

How do I beat the brigand boss in octopath? I just don't have enough healing items to tank the fight and I don't do enough damage to kill anyone before the boss KO's me with his special attack.

What level are you? I ran around a bit and ended up fighting him at level 6 and only used 1 healing item. Also immediately broke him when he used Bide because it seemed like a setup for him wrecking me.

Lakbay posted:

SaGa Frontier has multiple protagonists with their own individual, unique plots in a shared gameworld, that's the similarity with Octopath from what they've shown of the game so far.

Also SaGa Frontier was released unfinished. At least one character, Lute, has almost no story and you can go to the final dungeon after about 15-20 minutes of gameplay IIRC. Doing so will get you destroyed but it's possible. Another character, Fuse, never got their story but they can still be recruited by other characters when you play through their stories.

What story does exist varies from dumb (Rikki) to awesome. Red is literally a Power Ranger and he can't transform in to Alkaiser if there are any conscious human/monster party members because Alkaiser has to keep his identity a secret. He can transform with robot party members present and conscious though, presumably because they can all be made to keep his secret. He even threatens his story-specific (medical) robot recruit to this effect because said robot figures out Red's secret.

Then you have Blue. Blue's story is both janky as hell and kinda awesome. Janky because it leaves out a lot of useful information and awesome because Blue and his brother are actually two halves of the same person, and Blue is the evil/rear end in a top hat half. When they duel before the end of the game whomever wins is who you play for the rest of the game so even if you lose the fight you finish the story as Rouge. The final boss fight is kinda hosed up because they don't ever seem to explain why the fight freezes suddenly, when it's because you've just been sealed away with the Big Bad you're fighting.

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Nobody who recognizes this masterpiece of an RPG can be all that bad. :buddy:

Huxley posted:

I know this is not your point, but if we're doing a flowchart with "Role-playing Video Game" at the top, the difference in perspective between DQ and FF is where I definitely make the first split off.

And I know I can't bring myself to play games that put you in the DQ first-person perspective during battles. Something about it makes the whole exercise feel too abstract. Gotta see my dudes take one step forward and do a 4-frame animation.

The RPG tree starts with D&D and branches in to Bard's Tale/Wizardy in one branch and Final Fantasy/Dragon Quest in another. :eng101:

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

Zelder posted:

The real question is will they keep the 3 minute max timer in vs super Mario bros

yeah these hamster arcade archives are arcade perfect but i bet there will be the standard options of changing it for regular play but keeping it for the single coin high score modes.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Man I'd buy a two pack of the Bravely Default games on Switch in a minute. I hate playing on the 3DS screen now.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Evil Fluffy posted:

DOOM and Wolfenstein would be buys for me except I've already beaten DOOM on PC and if I'm going to replay that, or play Wolfenstein it'll be on PC since I have a 1440p 144hz monitor.

Basically same, but I still want to buy the ports to show support for the uncommon ports for a Nintendo system. It's really something that this is a real thing we have now, and it'd be sad if they ended up flopping even though a lot of us cry over 3rd party Nintendo support a bunch.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Can't forget the Mario RPGs.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Zelder posted:

You're thinking of the Playchoice10 Super Mario Bros, which was just the NES version IIRC. Vs. SMB is a standalone machine.

Evil Fluffy posted:

This game is SaGa Frontier 3. Like, in the "what other feedback do you have for us" section that survey will likely have, my first this is going to be CALL THIS SAGA FRONTIER 3 GODDAMNIT.

Why would you want a good game to be name-associated with bad games :confused:

raditts fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Sep 14, 2017

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Suspicious Cook posted:

If, for some reason, you haven't played this game yet, now's your chance. It's one of my favorite indie games of all time and definitely my favorite rhythm game.

https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/908345635501469697

Oh my god this is a day-1 for me

If you don't own this game, this is an absolute gem

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Does the demo data of octopath transfer to the full version?

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
*finger of monkey paw curls up*
You're getting a Bethesda character for Smash but it's the generic Skyrim viking bastard.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Lakbay posted:

Does the demo data of octopath transfer to the full version?

Almost certainly not because it seems to be unfinished. They might give you extra stuff in the full version though like they did with Bravely Second

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

raditts posted:

You're thinking of the Playchoice10 Super Mario Bros, which was just the NES version IIRC. Vs. SMB is a standalone machine.

Why would you want a good game to be name-associated with bad games :confused:

Huh I didn't know that. My local barcade has made a fool out of me

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Where is the Super Mario Odyssey thread to discuss the latest Switch sensation, Super Mario Odyssey? Last night's direct got me super hyped for it.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Evil Fluffy posted:

- Items don't seem to have a description when you highlight them, such as when using items in combat? It's needed and one of many things going in the survey.

Press Y. You can see the hint for this in the pause menu.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Funny thing about EO5; I heard the battle theme in the Direct and it was kinda poo poo. Pass.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

No survivors

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Zelder posted:

Huh I didn't know that. My local barcade has made a fool out of me

Yeah, they have a Vs. SMB machine in the "red tent" form factor at the arcade in the mall near where I live.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

The game is sex for soundtrack and audio design. The intro syncing the shotgun to music as you start the first level tells you you’re going to have an amazing time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fW6X1TFRvI0

I forgot Optimus Prime was Doom canon....

Also, I played it a lot late at night with my surround sound turned down (not sure why I never used my gaming headset). When I pick it back up I should crank that audio. As tempted as I am to play it on Switch, will just stick with PS4. I didn't get Wolfenstein 2 yet, so will do that on Switch if it performs decently. Still a little worried about these two running decently. Heck, I am worried Skyrim will be PS3/360 quality.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

FireMrshlBill posted:

I forgot Optimus Prime was Doom canon....

Despite sounding almost identical to Optimus Prime it's not the same voice actor.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Evil Fluffy posted:

Despite sounding almost identical to Optimus Prime it's not the same voice actor.

Well of course it's not, he's evil Optimus Prime.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!

Evil Fluffy posted:

Haha, ya. Didn't think it was really Cullen... but sounds pretty close

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA

Suspicious Cook posted:

If, for some reason, you haven't played this game yet, now's your chance. It's one of my favorite indie games of all time and definitely my favorite rhythm game.

https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/908345635501469697

needs spelunky to round out the indie game trifecta of perfection

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I spent so much time in Spelunky and I never got to the fourth world.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

If we get Spelunky, I hope we get a new soundtrack for it. I love everything about that game but that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT
I played Doom on someone's non-pro ps4 and it had horrible screen tearing. Hope that isn't the case on the Switch

• Locked thread