Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Rasta_Al posted:

Chocalatito is done

:smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Asia ascendant.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

My favourite part of the night was when Max Kellerman was talking about the Inoue body shots and was like "1 or 2 more should do it, if Inoue just hits him with that left hook to the body again- there we go" as Inoue scored his KD off a left hook to the body.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Can someone talk me through the implications of that fight?

All time great lost in controversial style, then in rematch he's shot and gets destroyed?

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

drat, did Gonzalez get old overnight or what?

Never a good sign when someone comes into the ring crying tbh

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

algebra testes posted:

Can someone talk me through the implications of that fight?

All time great lost in controversial style, then in rematch he's shot and gets destroyed?

Before Gonzales fought Sor the first time, he was something like 46-0 and by some people regarded as the best boxer in the world not named Floyd Mayweather. Most of his fights were crazy wars and brutal beatdowns at the same time.

Then this random Thai guy comes along and beats him in a close fight the first time, and in the second time KOs him, so yeah. Pretty much. He's shot and that's sad. What's extra sad about it is that he's a small guy from a poor country and he was good enough to start pushing into mainstream fame, but his body gave out on him before he could really enjoy it. The majority of his fights were in obscurity and for very little money. I think he fought on major HBO cards like 4-5 times at the end of his career (or what I really hope is the end of his career after how long he was down).

Monday Bandele
Apr 26, 2008
Seems like he just went up one weight class too many, a lot of people were saying the first fight was a robbery but the Thai was walking through his punches and hurting him quite often.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed
There were definitely some red flags when Gonzalez moved up. Iirc he was less active than normal and never seemed to phase McWilliams Arroyo even though he won clearly then gasses and scrapes by Cuadras.

I'm just glad we will probably never see Chocolatito-Inoue because in hindsight that probably always end as brutally, if not even worse, than last night

Edit: Even before the knockout, and it was talked about on the broadcast, it was shocking and sad to see that Gonzalez just looked totally defeated.

The SituAsian fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Sep 10, 2017

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Gonzalez was always struggling at 115 physically. That's clear in the Cuadras fight.

His long time trainer he was very close with died last November and some people think that set him back a bit. I thought he still won the first fight with SSR but it was obviously very close. Last night's fight he was clearly behind mentally too, and losing his 0 certainly didn't help. He looked lost and gunshy.

Meanwhile SSR was on fire, looked much better than last fight. I guess he was taking it all much more seriously, training harder and acting with great confidence after scoring his big win. It's unusual for fighters to improve at his age but it looks like that's what he's doing.

Stylistically it was never a good matchup for Gonzalez. Gonzalez is an offensive wizard who relies on his punches to ward off his opponent. At this weightclass he's clearly not able to do as much damage and it seems like you throw a concrete slab at SSR without slowing him down. The power difference when they trade was always going to give Choco troubles, but even with that I thought he was good enough to win the first fight anyway.

Gonzalez has also been in a lot of crazy wars and is now 30, which is pretty old for a guy of his size.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Just as a thought, what would everyone think of weight classes letting you get a little heavier as you age?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

they call that fighting in the next weight up, iirc

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Jack B Nimble posted:

Just as a thought, what would everyone think of weight classes letting you get a little heavier as you age?

It would be very hard and weird to enforce, especially as people age differently and there are some parts of the world where fighters don't even know their own exact age, or have lied about it for various reasons.

Plus, a sport like boxing shouldn't really be making it easier to stick around while getting older.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
The Sor Rungvisai knockout wasn't the most brutal knockout last night

Adrien Broner vs some guy and some woman on the Vegas strip was the real knockout of the night

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

that's going to be an expensive one buddy

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

It would be very hard and weird to enforce, especially as people age differently

I'm imagining Bernard Hopkins fighting at Middleweight tomorrow.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Thanks for clearing that up guys.

Garlic Wraith
Dec 10, 2015

Dracula's nemesis

Monday Bandele posted:

Seems like he just went up one weight class too many, a lot of people were saying the first fight was a robbery but the Thai was walking through his punches and hurting him quite often.

I am one of the people who believed that Gonzalez won the first fight. However, I think the confidence Rungvisai got from the first match gave him the edge over Chocolatito. SSR was throwing more accurately, with purpose, not as wild as the first fight. Not as many headbutts.

This fight confirms that 115 is far too much for him. Roman looked alright against Caudras but this KO sealed the deal.

Garlic Wraith fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Sep 11, 2017

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress

Marching Powder posted:

that's going to be an expensive one buddy

I wouldn't be too worried. Judging from his Instagram Broner is clearly in a great state of mind and totally focused on his career.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BY18-GbHR5k/

https://www.instagram.com/p/BY47mQDH7YK/

VVVV: White text on black background with (I'm parapharising) "I know I have problems" and "I need help" There was a NY Post article as well http://nypost.com/2017/09/11/boxing-champ-posts-suicidal-thoughts-after-latest-violent-episode/

The SituAsian fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Sep 12, 2017

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

You don't yank on the Spine of God

The SituAsian posted:

I wouldn't be too worried. Judging from his Instagram Broner is clearly in a great state of mind and totally focused on his career.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BY18-GbHR5k/

https://www.instagram.com/p/BY47mQDH7YK/

Whatever those were got taken down.

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

One said life to short (written exactly like that) for all these gently caress ups and the other said he wants help or something

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
This week is busy as gently caress so I'm pretty hype to kick back with some beer and watch GGG beat Canelo inside of 10.

That's my prediction btw but I don't want to predict anything more specific I just want a good fight.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I missed it if someone mentioned it earlier but Magomed Abdusalamov got 22 million from New York for what happened in his fight with Mike Perez.

Good for him, I don't remember the details all that well but a lot of stuff that went down after that bout were real sketchy. Like his trainer had to flag down a cab or something to get him to a hospital because there was no ambulance available after a freaking boxing match?

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

I hope Choclatito got PAID at some point because watching that fight just made me really sad.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
Iirc he made like 500k and the other guy made like 175k

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
I hyped my wife up so much for this rematch. We watched the first fight together.

She says, "That's it? That's so sad! Are you sure he was really good before? I'm so sad for him!"

I feel bad that she never got to see him when he looked like a punching chainsaw, but this really is a cruel sport.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress

Grittybeard posted:

I missed it if someone mentioned it earlier but Magomed Abdusalamov got 22 million from New York for what happened in his fight with Mike Perez.

Good for him, I don't remember the details all that well but a lot of stuff that went down after that bout were real sketchy. Like his trainer had to flag down a cab or something to get him to a hospital because there was no ambulance available after a freaking boxing match?

I did see that and was quite glad since it's accepted that the whole situation was a total shitshow though the New York Athletic Commission tried to place the blame on John David Jackson and the rest of Magomed's corner even though most reporting shows that wasnt the case.
This New York Times article from about a year and a half ago sums it up pretty well. I found the last few paragraphs especially damning and ghoulish

New York Times posted:

Out into the yellow-bruise hall. Down the steps. Across the arena floor, a hood shielding Mago’s aching, puffed face. Through the doors and into the concrete cacophony of Eighth and 33rd. He takes a knee a few yards from a television satellite truck that has just shared his loss to the world, and now he is vomiting.

“Hold on, brother,” his younger brother says.

Team Mago panics. Two of its members race to find help. A police officer offers no assistance. A Russian-speaking livery driver speeds away.
Mago’s distraught father is saying that no one seems to care about his son anymore, and keeps asking, Where is the ambulance?

Finally, a man and a woman on the street bequeath the cab they have flagged down to Team Mago. The boxer is hustled into the taxi, which speeds to St. Luke’s-Roosevelt Hospital as hidden blood seeps.

Back in the Garden’s labyrinth, the boxing inspector, Farrago, lingers. He moved on from boxing to become a medical-supply salesman with a college degree, but he has begun to worry that all those blows he took to the head have finally caught up with him, that he might have what they call dementia pugilistica. There have been hints of memory loss.

But he hasn’t forgotten the wraps. He hustles to Gennady Golovkin’s dressing room to collect those valuable strips of gauze, which the champion has kindly signed. They will someday go for $350 at a fund-raiser for boxers down on their luck.

Farrago also peeks into Mago’s small dressing room. Empty now. But he spots some garbage on the floor: the loser’s discarded wraps.

The boxing inspector picks them up. Who knows? Maybe this fighter Mago will bounce back to become heavyweight champion of the world.

Then these wraps will be worth something.

https://nyti.ms/1OUje06

The SituAsian fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Sep 12, 2017

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I'm gonna try and get a thread out for Canelo-GGG, if it's not up by thursday someone else can go ahead and do it.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
Cool, as a casual fan I always dig the undercard writeup so that I know what I'm watching when I'm drinking beers and getting hyped pre-fight. I think the one in the McGregor/Maywather (lol) thread was more comprehensive than pretty much anything I found on any sports website.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

attackmole posted:

was more comprehensive than pretty much anything I found on any sports website.

Yeah it happens a lot in psp for both mma and boxing. It's cool.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Respect Box!

Media people and casual fans are embarrassingly selling out for Canelo. He's a lead footed fellow who has shown nothing in his career that makes me think he could beat GGG outright. GGG might be aging past his prime, but it's 2017 and we have T and HGH. A lot of redheads are going to feel disappointment after they see their man wobbled with hooks and straight rights. You can't lean and flop at the waist -your way out of this one.

GGG has to be nervous about a decision, for obvious reasons. Canelo has to worry about being baited into an ill advised counter and knocked out

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Sep 13, 2017

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

thought his shirt was fred flintstone cosplay for a moment

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

guys im hyped as gently caress for this fight altho i wish there was a decent undercard

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

https://instagram.com/p/BY9NjvzHADn/

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
https://twitter.com/YahooSports/status/907751986438836230

Truly the year that keeps giving

In before King Kong's piss resembles Ecto-cooler

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

The SituAsian posted:

https://twitter.com/YahooSports/status/907751986438836230

Truly the year that keeps giving

In before King Kong's piss resembles Ecto-cooler

Well at least with all these tests we know that Wilder is legit

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I was worried about whether this would be a "big" enough fight or whether it would be eclipsed by Mayweather-McGregor, so I'm pleasantly surprised by how much casual interest I've run into for this one. Almost everyone I talked to has GGG winning, even the Hispanic guys are pulling for Golovkin. Branding himself as a "Mexican Style" fighter and coming out to the west coast has won him a ton of fans here. At Lomachenko's event I saw a ton of people wearing the "Mexicans for Golovkin" shirt too. I don't even think it's that people are against Canelo, there's just something about Golovkin as a fighter that is getting people supporting him.

I'm also gonna say this: I think Mayweather-McGregor being a well-watched fight that was fairly entertaining has brought in some renewed interest in the sport. People liked what they saw, it was a good look for boixng as a sport and a very public reinforcement of why fans call it the "sweet science." I don't know if this will translate to PPV numbers so soon after that one (are people really gonna spend $165 on boxing in a three-week period?) but it may at least translate to a bigger general awareness of this matchup, and if Canelo-GGG delivers on the hype then that will definitely create more long-term boxing fans.

mike-
Jul 9, 2004

Phillipians 1:21

The Ninth Layer posted:

I was worried about whether this would be a "big" enough fight or whether it would be eclipsed by Mayweather-McGregor, so I'm pleasantly surprised by how much casual interest I've run into for this one. Almost everyone I talked to has GGG winning, even the Hispanic guys are pulling for Golovkin. Branding himself as a "Mexican Style" fighter and coming out to the west coast has won him a ton of fans here. At Lomachenko's event I saw a ton of people wearing the "Mexicans for Golovkin" shirt too. I don't even think it's that people are against Canelo, there's just something about Golovkin as a fighter that is getting people supporting him.

Canelo is obviously very popular with mexicans, but he is also extremely divisive and there is a large contingent who hate him.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
For reasons outside of boxing?

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
I like both Canelo and GGG and won't be upset at any outcome as long as it is a good fight.

Still think GGG is going to win though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I haven't talked to anyone who outright hates him or at least not for a while. I know a few guys who really appreciated the rear end whooping he put on Chavez Jr. and most of the cherry picking talk has died down with this Golovkin fight happening.

Also for what it's worth nobody has given me a pick to win the fight with any confidence. Everyone's just like "yeah I'm rooting for canelo / GGG and hope he wins." Goes to show how evenly matched people think this one is.