Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HiipFire
Sep 1, 2013

JENNY DEATH LIVES

PMush Perfect posted:

BYOB is actually pretty okay now.

it was always okay

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

I don't really like using chat programs like Discord other than for games. Like, I don't wanna hang out in an always-open chat. It makes it feel like I should always be in front of my computer lest I miss something. Forums are much more non-committal.

Also congrats on joining the ranks of fellow mafia teachers, 100yrs!

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

What if we make a recruitment game

In Auspol

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this

Bifauxnen posted:

What if we make a recruitment game

In Auspol

we already have too many

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Let's do a decruitment game in AusPol

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

gently caress off, we're full

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

Bifauxnen posted:

gently caress off, we're full

Lets make 20 recruitment games in AusPol at the SAME TIME

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
i loving love the auspol aesthetic.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
i don't like discord because it's hard to keep up with the chat because I can't check it regularly so it feels a bit exclusive

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

bowmore posted:

i don't like discord because it's hard to keep up with the chat because I can't check it regularly so it feels a bit exclusive

IDK, there isn't really a requirement to read all the backlog - I certainly don't. I get what you mean though.

Also: I PMed a mod in CC, will see when they get back to me! I have setup and flavor ready to go in my head.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
guys what's up with the subway

"let's make a train that doesn't go to all the places it should go during rush hour and the only way to know is to be on the train and maybe overhear the mumbly PA just right the one time.

will we have signs on the platforms telling you what stations are being skipped? no."

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Podima posted:

IDK, there isn't really a requirement to read all the backlog - I certainly don't. I get what you mean though.

Also: I PMed a mod in CC, will see when they get back to me! I have setup and flavor ready to go in my head.

Are you going to get mentors for the newbies?

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Hadn't considered that, probably not! My previous newbie game did well enough without 'em.

Also, newbie game for CC was approved, will post it tomorrow hopefully! :sun:

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I can't wait to watch this.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Podima posted:

i feel like i'm missing out so I just disengage entirely

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

bowmore posted:

:smith::respek::smith:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

http://twitter.com/zebes_official/status/908640193078370304

sentimental snail
Nov 22, 2007

DID YOU SEE MY
PEYOTE QUEEN?

Mordiceius posted:

I can't wait to watch this.

:yeah: :agreed: :same:

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

bowmore posted:

:same:

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

I would trade all of the discord regulars for a little Mac game in a second

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Well, pera ignored it, so I'll ask y'all. FMK: John Goodman, Rodney Dangerfield, Robin Williams

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

K, K, K,

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

PMush Perfect posted:

Well, pera ignored it, so I'll ask y'all. FMK: John Goodman, Rodney Dangerfield, Robin Williams

Kill Rodney, gently caress Robin, Marry Goodman

peramene
Oct 13, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
itt - PMush assuming complex determinations are made easily

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Mr. F! posted:

Kill Rodney, gently caress Robin, Marry Goodman
Close to mine! gently caress Goodman, Marry Williams, Kill Dangerfield.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

PMush Perfect posted:

Kill, kill, it'll sort itself out

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

http://twitter.com/sexmotron/status/909066983244750848

If you didn't read that in Strong Bad's voice, you are objectively wrong.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

So I've got a challenge for you guys. I don't think I can do it anytime soon with my English classes, but maybe one of them might get good enough by the end of the year to give it a shot. We've been studying Pilgrims and the Plymouth colony and I think it would be fun to run Salem Witch trials with them à la mafia.

The game is not unknown to them, Loup Garou being the French version, but the idea would be to make them argue in English. The biggest problem is that it's 25 kids and I'd want them all to have some sort of participation. Also it'd have to be done in less than 55 minutes AND somehow make it interesting for those who have died. I probably won't run it until May or so, but would it even be feasible?

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

100YrsofAttitude posted:

So I've got a challenge for you guys. I don't think I can do it anytime soon with my English classes, but maybe one of them might get good enough by the end of the year to give it a shot. We've been studying Pilgrims and the Plymouth colony and I think it would be fun to run Salem Witch trials with them à la mafia.

The game is not unknown to them, Loup Garou being the French version, but the idea would be to make them argue in English. The biggest problem is that it's 25 kids and I'd want them all to have some sort of participation. Also it'd have to be done in less than 55 minutes AND somehow make it interesting for those who have died. I probably won't run it until May or so, but would it even be feasible?

I've run Mafia for a lot of kids at summer camps and things like that, I think the question is where you expect their English skills will be. Are they supposed to be at a conversational level by that point? You'd definitely want to break it up into at least two groups though. It depends on how old they are but it'd probably end up being fun for them and chaotic for you.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

How old are the kids? That's a big factor in how complex you can afford to be.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Somberbrero posted:

I've run Mafia for a lot of kids at summer camps and things like that, I think the question is where you expect their English skills will be. Are they supposed to be at a conversational level by that point? You'd definitely want to break it up into at least two groups though. It depends on how old they are but it'd probably end up being fun for them and chaotic for you.

Their English won't be anywhere near fluent but it should be beyond fluid enough and they can ask simple questions and make simple assertions "He's lying." "Where were you?" "He's a witch because he killed X person."

I don't expect them to fully realize their arguments but the simple steps to declare them should be enough. So yeah basic conversation if all goes well.

Splitting them in 2 is a good idea though. What did you do with the kids who were removed from the game?

PMush Perfect posted:

How old are the kids? That's a big factor in how complex you can afford to be.

They're 13-14. Or whatever the age equivalent of 8th grade is.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Their English won't be anywhere near fluent but it should be beyond fluid enough and they can ask simple questions and make simple assertions "He's lying." "Where were you?" "He's a witch because he killed X person."

I don't expect them to fully realize their arguments but the simple steps to declare them should be enough. So yeah basic conversation if all goes well.

Splitting them in 2 is a good idea though. What did you do with the kids who were removed from the game?

They're 13-14. Or whatever the age equivalent of 8th grade is.

Generally games run pretty quickly in person, you give them a quick time limit and then trust the other kids not to ruin the game. Generally they're only out of play ten minutes at the most. Do you have a class aide or even another kid who'd help? I'd definitely do a trial run beforehand if you ever get the chance, like if a bunch of the class is out one day. I'd also say you should run it with friends if you get the chance, running games in person is usually much easier but there's some minutiae you'll want to clear up beforehand. Just things like how do you distribute roles(playing cards works well in my experience, one color for town and one for scum with face cards as power roles), how voting works, and processing nights. I think you'd want to be really comfortable if you're running things for a big group.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Yeah that's sound advice. I'll try to run some friends through a game at some point, that seems like it could be fun to do. I might be able to get an aide or at least a second teacher to join in if they're interested. The biggest challenge is just getting them to work on their English to the point it's functional. If I don't do it this year it can definitely be an option in the future if I ever get the shot to work in a high school, where their English is bound to be of a higher caliber.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Yeah that's sound advice. I'll try to run some friends through a game at some point, that seems like it could be fun to do. I might be able to get an aide or at least a second teacher to join in if they're interested. The biggest challenge is just getting them to work on their English to the point it's functional. If I don't do it this year it can definitely be an option in the future if I ever get the shot to work in a high school, where their English is bound to be of a higher caliber.

It totally might not be practical, but I think it's a cool idea and a solid learning opportunity. I've had kids as young as seven play, as long as you have a couple people leading the conversation it tends to all work out. Good luck!

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
what the heck is loup garou

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
a better game is figuring out who ate all the pies

##vote busb

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Birdstrike posted:

what the heck is loup garou

French werewolf

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

klungo

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3834560

Creative Convention new player game is live!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Klungar posted:

French werewolf

that's a silly name