Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
Won tickets to see Arcade Fire in DC... I think they overestimated how many people would want to see them this tour apparently with the poor reception of that new album. They are playing an arena and I think a lot of local businesses were given tickets to hand out as I won from a bar eatery facebook post.

Funny I've loved them for 13 years and the first time seeing them will be for free after they release a really crap album. I will still enjoy it i'm sure, especially for free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

T Bowl posted:

Won tickets to see Arcade Fire in DC... I think they overestimated how many people would want to see them this tour apparently with the poor reception of that new album. They are playing an arena and I think a lot of local businesses were given tickets to hand out as I won from a bar eatery facebook post.

Funny I've loved them for 13 years and the first time seeing them will be for free after they release a really crap album. I will still enjoy it i'm sure, especially for free.

I'm trying to sell my tickets to the New Orleans show and having a hard time :(. Not that I dont' want to see them. I really do (and I liked the new album)... but we're making some life changes and I need to start saving more money.

Captain_Person
Apr 7, 2013

WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?

CLAM DOWN posted:

Frank Turner puts on such an amazing live show, if he ever plays your city go see him.

Hell yes. He's on my 'drop everything I'm doing and see him no matter what' list.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Seeing Arcade fire tomorrow, last time I saw them was them opening for U2 in 2005.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

BonoMan posted:

I'm trying to sell my tickets to the New Orleans show and having a hard time :(. Not that I dont' want to see them. I really do (and I liked the new album)... but we're making some life changes and I need to start saving more money.
I saw 'em a year ago at Voodoo Fest here in New Orleans and it was before they started playing stuff from the new album. The setlist was all stuff from Reflektor and before, so it was perfect for me.

quote:

Ready to Start
The Suburbs
The Suburbs (Continued)
Sprawl II (Mountains Beyond Mountains)
Reflektor
Afterlife
We Exist
Normal Person
Keep the Car Running
Intervention
My Body Is a Cage
We Used to Wait
No Cars Go
Haïti
Neighborhood #1 (Tunnels)
Neighborhood #3 (Power Out)
Rebellion (Lies) (with Ghostbusters Theme snippet)
Here Comes the Night Time
Wake Up
It was a great show, so having seen that already and not liking any of the new album, I don't want to spoil that for myself by seeing them play another show where I know they're going to play material I don't enjoy when I've already seen them play material I've loved for years.

CRINDY
Sep 23, 2010

forget about ur worries and ur strife
They're mostly playing the "good" stuff from Everything Now (your mileage may vary on "good") and otherwise the setlist has most of the hits on that list barring a few.

TBH I'm really excited to hear Signs of Life, Creature Comfort and hopefully Put Your Money On Me live. They all seem like they have the potential to pop in a live setting.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Somehow I doubt having their album become the third #1 charter in a row is going to tell a band to start expecting less people at their shows

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Somehow I doubt having their album become the third #1 charter in a row is going to tell a band to start expecting less people at their shows

I'm just observing literally dozens and dozens of people trying to offload tickets on the event page with no bites, more than normal.. and multiple giveaway contests. I'd say part of the #1 sales are it's 2017 and no one buys albums anymore anyway and those who do are the type to blind buy and then be disappointed.

I can't think of anyone except old people and snobby vinyl collectors who still purchase music vs just using a streaming service that I know.

T Bowl fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Sep 14, 2017

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Billboard says it was a slow month too so Im probs wrong

interpunct
Aug 2, 2006

Bad girls think that you're being a boob punch

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Arcade Fire played Madison Square Garden two nights ago and did not sell it out. Two days before the show, I received this e-mail, which was clearly trying to generate as many ticket sales as possible:

At the show itself, some people seated in the upper levels of the arena were upgraded to lower bowl seats. It was a great show, but attendance was nowhere close to capacity.

For comparison's sake, the band was able to book a three night stand at Barclays Center three years ago.

resident
Dec 22, 2005

WE WERE ALL UP IN THAT SHIT LIKE A MUTHAFUCKA. IT'S CLEANER THAN A BROKE DICK DOG.

I had no idea we were this close to a new Cut Copy album. Two tracks in and I feel like this is the best they've sounded since In Ghost Colours.

http://www.npr.org/2017/09/14/550445276/first-listen-cut-copy-haiku-from-zero

Live At Five!
Feb 15, 2008
I 100% recommend seeing Future Islands if they're playing a show in your city. I honestly don't think anyone can ever compare to their lead singer doing his thing for 90 minutes. I liked The Far Field before the show but hearing it live made me appreciate it more. You literally cannot look away from Samuel Herring during the show, which makes it so much easier for the rest of the band. The bassist literally just stood there staring down or forward the entire time, not that anyone noticed.

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

Live At Five! posted:

I 100% recommend seeing Future Islands if they're playing a show in your city. I honestly don't think anyone can ever compare to their lead singer doing his thing for 90 minutes. I liked The Far Field before the show but hearing it live made me appreciate it more. You literally cannot look away from Samuel Herring during the show, which makes it so much easier for the rest of the band. The bassist literally just stood there staring down or forward the entire time, not that anyone noticed.

Im seeing them in a few weeks, but saw them almost 4 years ago and nothing has changed. This isn't a bad thing though, Sam is still crazy AF on stage and the rest of his band looks terrified.

Live At Five!
Feb 15, 2008

Slandible posted:

Im seeing them in a few weeks, but saw them almost 4 years ago and nothing has changed. This isn't a bad thing though, Sam is still crazy AF on stage and the rest of his band looks terrified.

I'm not surprised by that at all. Considering Sam slapped himself in the face hard as poo poo like 9 times during the show I'd be terrified too. Dude is intense.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY

Live At Five! posted:

Saw them at their CD release in Baltimore in a 400 capacity venue :smug:

CRINDY
Sep 23, 2010

forget about ur worries and ur strife
Yeah, this Arcade Fire tour is flagging in ticket sales. Some dates were just horrible choices - Tuesday night at MSG was a death sentence for decent sales - while others are well below what they should be selling. Everything Now is a wet fart of an album that actually aged poorly for me, I like fewer of the songs now than I did my first listen, and I think a combination of that and a total flop of the album rollout, complete with the fake news people found completely obnoxious, sunk them. Still excited to see them this weekend in DC and Philly, but a) I wish I had waited to buy the $15 tickets on Stubhub for Saturday night and b) I bought under-priced $20 tickets for Sunday night but they kept dropping and lower-level seats were down to $13 at one point

Live At Five!
Feb 15, 2008

T Bowl posted:

Wish I could be as cool as you but alas I only heard of future islands from when they played letterman. Better late than never eh?

Also not from Baltimore nor have I ever been to Baltimore. They haven't been to DFW since 2013 so I haven't had many opportunities. I'm just glad they went from a 300 capacity venue in Ft. Worth to 4300 capacity venue in Dallas last night.

Live At Five! fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Sep 15, 2017

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY

Live At Five! posted:

Wish I could be as cool as you but alas I only heard of future islands from when they played letterman. Better late than never eh?

Well that is the one from a few years back right? I'm talking release in April. I got on board back in 2010 I think with their second album but never saw them until then, I tried to see them at the same venue in 2011 when their third album had just came out and it sold out which showed my ignorance of their rising popularity. I got lucky this time and was selected from a raffle system which ended up being the first of four nights.

Live At Five!
Feb 15, 2008
Yeah I heard of them when Singles came out and Seasons put them on the map. Speaking of, they could have ended the show with Seasons. There was a 5 minute ovation after which they kept playing for another 30 minutes. Another highlight was Sam's insane ramblings between songs that I couldn't understand due to him mumbling. I was waiting for them to head back to Dallas and this was my first opportunity. I got tickets 5 months in advance. It's too bad Dallas is like a cultural wasteland. I love this dumb city but it for a metro area of 6 million it is constantly passed over for Austin. Can't really blame bands but it sucks. Denton has an alright music scene due to the University of North Texas but otherwise woof.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
i've wanted to see future islands since singles blew me away and they're playing a 3-night stand in brooklyn while i'm out of town :argh:

now that i've seen lcd soundsystem, i guess they're my new white whale. I did see the snails in a tiny venue and that show was a loving blast tho, so i've at least had a sam herring live experience (also the snails lp is better than the far field)

Live At Five!
Feb 15, 2008

abraham linksys posted:

i've wanted to see future islands since singles blew me away and they're playing a 3-night stand in brooklyn while i'm out of town :argh:

now that i've seen lcd soundsystem, i guess they're my new white whale. I did see the snails in a tiny venue and that show was a loving blast tho, so i've at least had a sam herring live experience (also the snails lp is better than the far field)

The Far Field is one of those albums that is better live. I liked it before I saw them but after I feel like I really appreciate it now.

The new LCD soundsystem has definitely grown on me now. Wasn't a fan of the first half but now I love the whole thing. Probably my second favorite album after sound of silver. Nothing beats sound of silver due to the one two punch of all my friends and someone great.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Live At Five! posted:

Nothing beats sound of silver due to the one two punch of all my friends and someone great.

Yup. Nothing

interpunct
Aug 2, 2006

Bad girls think that you're being a boob punch

abraham linksys posted:

I saw them at Bowery Ballroom on Valentine's Day. Sam grabbed my shoulder, so I think we're best friends now.

Anonymous John
Mar 8, 2002

T Bowl posted:

I also won tickets to the DC show through a radio station. It's in the 400 levels though, so hopefully we get upgraded to a better section given that this show (as well as most dates on the tour) are selling badly.

Anonymous John
Mar 8, 2002

interpunct posted:

For comparison's sake, the band [Arcade Fire] was able to book a three night stand at Barclays Center three years ago.

But a ton of tickets for those shows at Barclays were sold through Groupon. I caught them that year in Massachusetts and there were lots of empty seats and giveaways happening.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Every time Spotify used to play Future Islands for me, I would cringe. The singer sounds like he's doing a lovely Rod Stewart impression or something. I could never get past that. I ended up telling Spotify to never play them for me again in my mixes.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Julien Baker's released a new single.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MdBu21i9aEE

Can't wait to listen to her new album and cry a lot.

ThatsMyBoye
Nov 21, 2006

I wish that I believed in fate
I wish I didn't sleep so late
I used to be carried in the arms of cheerleaders
She is the best

If any of you are on the fence about her, I cannot recommend enough seeing her live to put you over the top. The whole thing gets basically reverential if you have a cooperative and respectful crowd, and she can really hit the notes.

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

Drink it up and hunker down

T Bowl posted:

Seeing them in a 400 person capacity venue in Chicago on October 4th :hfive:. It's The Empty Bottle's 25th anniversary as a venue and it sold out in less than 2 minutes. I've seen Future Islands 3 times but never in any place this small, so hype.

ThatsMyBoye posted:

She is the best

If any of you are on the fence about her, I cannot recommend enough seeing her live to put you over the top. The whole thing gets basically reverential if you have a cooperative and respectful crowd, and she can really hit the notes.

Also echoing this, she is amazing live. (and another artist I discovered through you, thanks buddy)

Troxartas
Jan 13, 2007

The Old Warhorse

abraham linksys posted:

The Mercury Lounge show? I preferred that to when I saw Future Islands at terminal 5 when Seasons came out

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

abraham linksys posted:

At Babys All Right? I was at that show too, they rule.

I also saw Future Islands at coachella right after Singles came out, and it was mind blowing. I was headbanging and dancing next to Jared Leto for the whole set.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Dear Rouge tonight!!!! So loving stoked

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UeQ_OoNl5v4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKq53_imZzs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Puq3uMCtMWU

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
There is a pretty good Bon Iver Livestream that's been on for a while now. Just thought to post it here

https://www.arte.tv/fr/videos/077344-000-A/bon-iver-au-cork-opera-house/

(Don't switch to English. It wasn't working)

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Has anyone here seen Death From Above live? Is it a good show?

Marengo
Aug 6, 2012

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

I saw them in 2004 and it was a good show. I assume they're still good live now that they've reunited.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Marengo posted:

I saw them in 2004 and it was a good show. I assume they're still good live now that they've reunited.

Thanks!

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I saw them in 2011 and they were still good then

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

Hah, I think it was you that suggested them to me like two years ago. I drove like 3 hours into Canada on your suggestion to see them in some little upstairs dive venue. They were loving awesome live and super friendly people to chat and hang out with. Danielle comped my ticket and a poster for coming out.

E>> Might belong in here. I saw a Daft Punk cover band last night and that was super fun. Guys dressed up in helmets and suits and mixed songs all night on a big rear end sound system.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Slandible posted:

Hah, I think it was you that suggested them to me like two years ago. I drove like 3 hours into Canada on your suggestion to see them in some little upstairs dive venue. They were loving awesome live and super friendly people to chat and hang out with. Danielle comped my ticket and a poster for coming out.

E>> Might belong in here. I saw a Daft Punk cover band last night and that was super fun. Guys dressed up in helmets and suits and mixed songs all night on a big rear end sound system.

Yeah they're fantastic musicians and people! They came out to the bar area after the show and took pictures, signed posters, chatted, I won't post a pic of myself on SA but I got to take one with them!! And they said they couldn't share details but their new album is coming out veeeeery soon. They played several new songs last night and there are going to be some amazing tracks on that new record for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Yes, twice. Once at a festival in 2014 and once opening for Deftones/Incubus in 2015. They loving killed both times. It’s insane that just 2 people can get those kinds of sounds without any assistance. The crazy sounds they achieve on their albums are pretty much what they achieve live too. Their shows are intense to behold.