Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Added Space posted:

Go quiet, drift away, call in the fleet

We just built those survey ships, no reason to get the crew killed

Uh. Unless there's another as-yet-unmentioned class of jump cruisers, nothing over 3kT can even reach the system until one of those is built. e: Buttt apparently we don't need to SETI so do it for the sake of pseudoscience

silentsnack fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Sep 15, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I don't think the survey vessel can detect things near the planet with its actives unless it's close to the planet, active sensors don't have a very long range compared to the size of the system, you need a planetary DSTS for cross-system detection and they are passive only.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

The most obvious order is to bring me my brown pants. :v:

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

That's true the survey ships have a short range active for ground scans which can't reach past 800k km but there are two Hubble class frigates along and you are well in range for their active sensors.

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug
Turn on actives

Also take a couple of hits of acid and remove pants

pthighs fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Sep 15, 2017

TheWetFish
Mar 30, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Actives on
Get closer

Added Space posted:

We just built those survey ships, no reason to get the crew killed
The reason is to get data we need and losing only a heroic survey ship to do so, as opposed to losing the fleet

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Saros posted:

That's true the survey ships have a short range active for ground scans which can't reach past 800k km but there are two Hubble class frigates along and you are well in range for their active sensors.

Oh so we have already checked the system for ~spoilers~ and this is just scanning the junkstorm? In that case I guess I'll be changing my vote.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

silentsnack posted:

Oh so we have already checked the system for ~spoilers~ and this is just scanning the junkstorm? In that case I guess I'll be changing my vote.

No all the active sensors are off at the moment and this planet is the first one you are approaching.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

offer half the crew's blood as sacrifice

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

Synthbuttrange posted:

offer half the crew's blood as sacrifice

sacrifice all the blood from half the crew, or sacrifice half of the blood of every crewmember?

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
I'm going to go for the suggestion of loving PANIC :supaburn:

Another Otter
May 14, 2012
The potential risk to the crew is outweighed by the reward to the Federation Turn on the active sensors.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Another Otter posted:

The potential risk to the crew is outweighed by the reward to the Federation Turn on the active sensors.

LIIIIGHT 'EM UP

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat
This is pthighs call as we are back in Sol. You know, Sol? The one with the planet all our ancestors are from? The one that we have built into one big missile barrage masquerading as a system? We're in that one, and pthighs can't hear us, so only pthigh's vote matters :colbert:

pthighs posted:

Turn on actives

Also take a couple of hits of acid and remove pants

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug
Eh, I prefer a vote as a way to avoid blame responsibility.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat

pthighs posted:

Eh, I prefer a vote as a way to avoid blame responsibility.

If it makes you feel any better, when you signed up for survey duty you basically volunteered to be tentacle bait, so I doubt historians will view you with anything other than pity, no matter what you do.

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

I'm intentionally being as verbose as possible in negotiations for my own amusement.

Cathode Raymond posted:

If it makes you feel any better, when you signed up for survey duty you basically volunteered to be tentacle bait, so I doubt historians will view you with anything other than pity, no matter what you do.

Being eaten by spoilers so the rest of the navy and merchant marine doesn't have to is an important part of a geosurvey ship's mission profile!

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
So we in Discord were chatting about reasons why the hostile aliens encountered at Pluto haven't lit our asses up like a summer bonfire. The reasons we figured are: these xenos can't make wormholes; they're already at war with another intelligence and can't spare any attention for us; they're not actually as hostile to humanity as our initial contact suggested; or they're building up their fleet to turn us all into soylent green (as though such overkill is truly necessary). As a subset to option A, perhaps these aliens can't open a wormhole to Sol system specifically for unknown reasons, though option A and its subset leave open the ability to travel via JP and wreck us.

If these aliens are in a reality vibrating to a different string, shall we say, then who knows? But knowing all the Sol jump points might give us some early warning about potential future incursions.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Go live and see whats out there.

SB SPIES ONLY SPOILER
That means no Cryo allowed
meanwhile have a SB affiliated tech drop a message beacon/comm back to Harris reporting we're about to make contact

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

:mad:

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.
If they are moving they have seen us - these guys have been here for ~5 million years so they wouldn't be moving randomly. So there is not a ton of downside to turning on the sensors

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
I would taunt you in discord but I'm literally bathroom postibg from work atm.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

Gridlocked posted:

I would taunt you in discord but I'm literally bathroom postibg from work atm.

A real live-action space shitposter. :drat:

Miles Vorkosigan
Mar 21, 2007

The stuff that dreams are made of.

Another Otter posted:

Hell yeah, let's Boldly go!

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

Active sensors, get closer as needed.

That said, also be prepared to haul rear end. No need to rush this.

Not Alex
Oct 9, 2012

Cut loose before the god eaters show up.
Yea, actives are the next logical step.

Also, do we have missiles?

Now wait hear me out. Remove a warhead and fire one off towards the planet when we get closer. See how anything there reacts to powered flight impinging on its orbit.

TheWetFish
Mar 30, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Rorac posted:

Active sensors, get closer as needed.

That said, also be prepared to haul rear end. No need to rush this.

Whoa now, do not retreat. If something is hostile then 100% take one for the team, get closer if it's hostile. Under no circumstances retreat and explicitly do not jump home

Edit: Apparently our Tangaroa class Survey Ship has passive EM, passive thermals and an active sensor! Way to go whoever designed that. The loss of an otherwise precious jump survey ship is completely worth the data we'll get

Also if we jump back while it has an active lock then we give away the jump point location, which they might not have. It would be bad.

TheWetFish fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Sep 15, 2017

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Look, repeated jumps feel horrible, but it's totally fine you guys. Go active

There's nothing out there to worry about, trust meeeeee.
Alllll we wanna do is eat your brains

Veloxyll fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Sep 15, 2017

Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
SO CLEVER I WANT TO FUCK MY OWN BRAIN.
Smellrose
There's at least one jumpship hanging out at the jump point to evacuate and bring word back to Sol if things go tits-up, right?

Scan 'em good and proper and hopefully that won't set off a disaster. Or if it does, hopefully it'll be an interesting disaster.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Go active, but before doing so leave some kind of beacon at the jump point with all data found so far, including the movement.

Leaving behind message so other scout ships don't do the same dumb thing seems like exploring space 101 :v:

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
Have the ship that is farther away turn on their active sensors. Hopefully our buddy can move out of the direct line of travel thanks to this trick.

Nitis
Mar 22, 2003

Amused? I think not.
Get closer for observation.

I'd have a hard time believing anything, capable of doing so on this planet, isn't already aware that our ships are out there. Still, no use going active and announcing it yet.

Leave Facility alone.

We may need it's assistance with anything we find on our new world.

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

Engage the active sensors. One ping only Exercise extreme caution by maintaining maximum range

Crazyeyes24
Sep 14, 2014

Your good vision is your fatal weakness!
Scan the bastard

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn
Soiled Meat
beam nudes at them

Scan them

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.
poke around the facility as well

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell
Overly cautious totally not afraid of xenos plan:

1. Move 1 ship to the edge of active sensor range, have the other 3 hold position much further back.

2. Ping active sensors (turn on & back off again).

3. If nothing is detected, move closer at a random heading 30-45 degrees off center relative to the planet.

4. If something is detected move laterally at 90 degree heading for a while then ping again to see if it is moving & in what direction.

5. If it's coming right at us then scatter. Whichever ships it doesn't follow can jump back home, the tailed ship must lose them first.

By repositioning after each ping we will reduce the likelihood that they will be able to fix our position.

Hessi
Oct 28, 2010
Retreat our unarmed jump capable survey ships back to the Jump point so we bring reinforcements if needed, once they arrive at the JP have one of the Hubbles turn on its sensor suite.
3k tons jump limit means we could bring in quite a lot of firepower, Hubbles, Schiaparellis, Gales, Labous and Fangs are all below that weight limit and could all be brought in case we need more firepower, so i d suggest we move a mixed fleet of those ships from home fleet to the jump point in case they are needed, for UT we could say those are ships designated to defend the jump point.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

So we in Discord were chatting about reasons why the hostile aliens encountered at Pluto haven't lit our asses up like a summer bonfire. The reasons we figured are: these xenos can't make wormholes; they're already at war with another intelligence and can't spare any attention for us; they're not actually as hostile to humanity as our initial contact suggested; or they're building up their fleet to turn us all into soylent green (as though such overkill is truly necessary). As a subset to option A, perhaps these aliens can't open a wormhole to Sol system specifically for unknown reasons, though option A and its subset leave open the ability to travel via JP and wreck us.

Aurora does have jump points that can't be detected from the other side until they are activated.

So, uh, if we ever do find the pluto jump point, maybe don't use it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell

OwlFancier posted:

Aurora does have jump points that can't be detected from the other side until they are activated.

So, uh, if we ever do find the pluto jump point, maybe don't use it.

Don't think that's going to be an option.

An extensive grav-survey by UT ships will turn up that JP, and I doubt they are going to believe us when we tell them 'here be monsters'.