Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The point the above poster was getting at is that sometimes if you log out in a weird spot, like a chalice dungeon but also sometimes the game, then your character's connection to the server will get weird.

Starting offline will rezone you to the dream, and then you connect to the bloodeborne server normally instead of deleting your character...

But also upload your save data to a USB or psn storage every once in a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
There's a reason I never quit the game outside of the Hunter's Dream

A FESTIVE SKELETON
Oct 2, 2011

TIS THE SEASON BITCH
Anyone have suggestions for weapons on a bloodtinge/arcane dude? I think I wanna make a dude with focuses in those stats.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I think you want to focus on bloodtinge or arcane, not both.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Rayjenkins posted:

Anyone have suggestions for weapons on a bloodtinge/arcane dude? I think I wanna make a dude with focuses in those stats.

Tbh if you're not pumping Strength or Dexterity then I think the only way to make this work is use the moonlight sword and bloodletter, and always in their transformed modes. Otherwise your damage is going to suck horribly.

The Evelyn is your ideal gun if you're pumping bloodtinge

A FESTIVE SKELETON
Oct 2, 2011

TIS THE SEASON BITCH

U-DO Burger posted:

Tbh if you're not pumping Strength or Dexterity then I think the only way to make this work is use the moonlight sword and bloodletter, and always in their transformed modes. Otherwise your damage is going to suck horribly.

Yeah, I was kinda leaning towards bloodletter. Also I decided to click on this Arcanist Cookbook spreadsheet link and goddamn this is useful.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
It doesn't matter what build I go for, I always inevitably get bloodtinge to 18 just so I can use Evelyn.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

U-DO Burger posted:

Chikage with your Evelyn and then liberal application of elemental gems is a great option for blt/arc and base str/skl. You absolutely poo poo out damage with chikage and since it's two handed it's great having a pumped up augur or blacksky eye available.

You're doing a bit of a mental juggling act as arc/blt and it's challenge at the start, but once you elemental gem a weapon and beat Logarius, the world is your fancy oyster. I'm currently doing a base skl chikage run and have 40 blt. Now I'm going to dump everything into arc and have me some fun.

A FESTIVE SKELETON
Oct 2, 2011

TIS THE SEASON BITCH

JBP posted:

Chikage with your Evelyn and then liberal application of elemental gems is a great option for blt/arc and base str/skl. You absolutely poo poo out damage with chikage and since it's two handed it's great having a pumped up augur or blacksky eye available.

You're doing a bit of a mental juggling act as arc/blt and it's challenge at the start, but once you elemental gem a weapon and beat Logarius, the world is your fancy oyster. I'm currently doing a base skl chikage run and have 40 blt. Now I'm going to dump everything into arc and have me some fun.

Yeah I've hit the sock pretty hard in this game, I've got basically every other build going right now, so I'm totally fine with a challenge at the start. As much as I love the Chikage, I think I'm gonna focus on getting the Bloodletter going. I also see Simon's Bowblade as a recommended weapon for BLT/ARC, which is something I hadn't considered.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

There is no synergy between bloodtinge and arcane. At all.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Guillermus posted:

The Arcanist Cookbook: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1XYzO2js7ggvPEg8125SIKDo6anvqirI2Dxj2JvYR0uM/edit#gid=1764548982

It's an amazing guide for all kinds of blood gems, boss weakness, tool scaling and that shizzle. I got myself a pdf copy of that and have it handy on my tablet.

To make things clear, in base game you can find enough to make a good arcane and fire weapon but there are some great gems on the DLC and the better ones are farmable on chalices (some of them are boss drops tho).

Comedy option: good phys droplet gems drop from Winter lanters wich are by far the enemies I hate the most (or just farm them with REALLY HIGH frenzy res).

I don't really understand this spreadsheet.

I know there's a guide somewhere, but my biggest problem with Arcane is that I have no idea how to get started. Like it seems like you have to play half the game before you get any gems...

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Oh yeah, I forgot about elemental gems. If you socket a fire gem into a chikage does that make the base damage fire, and transformed damage blood?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Digirat posted:

There is no synergy between bloodtinge and arcane. At all.

It doesn't matter though. When you two hand a blt weapon you can call beyond, augur and heal or whatever. You can also run a second weapon with an element on it and have guns that do decent damage. If you are playing with gems and a straight up blt weapon it's a fun challenge and works fine considering you can just go ham on arc or blt. It's just a weird set of tools for you to have some fun with.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

U-DO Burger posted:

Oh yeah, I forgot about elemental gems. If you socket a fire gem into a chikage does that make the base damage fire, and transformed damage blood?

Nah. I think you can do it for the rifle spear thugh.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Holy poo poo the bloody crow is busting my balls. I've got him down to <500 hp four times now and I just keep choking.

Fuuuck.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

The Kingfish posted:

Holy poo poo the bloody crow is busting my balls. I've got him down to <500 hp four times now and I just keep choking.

Fuuuck.

Take a break, come back tomorrow. You'll get him first try.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Snak posted:

I know there's a guide somewhere, but my biggest problem with Arcane is that I have no idea how to get started. Like it seems like you have to play half the game before you get any gems...

As soon as you get the first chalice you can get fire radials from HotDog.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Paracelsus posted:

As soon as you get the first chalice you can get fire radials from HotDog.

And sometimes other enemies in that first dungeon can drop them as well(or you can remake the chalice and refight Hot Dog for another of the gem it drops, but I'm not a big fan of that idea since Undead Giant is a dick to fight, not to mention that first dungeon is a lot harder in general than it should be)

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Snak posted:

I accidentally ended up with an Arcane build (I'm on my first play through and have been trying to stay mostly unspoiled so I stumble into things). After beating the Blood Starved Beast Chalice Dungeons open up and I went in one out of curiosity and ended up with some cursed fire gems. Which were good enough at low levels to make me a monster. Higher arcane means more item discovery, so since then I've lucked into some better fire gems through the chalice and regular gameplay, found some tools etc. None fire gems are harder to get, but there's some weapons that do Bolt that you can find (I lucked into this as well) and you can use fire/bolt paper for bosses. And so long as you are keeping your weapons upgraded, the lack of major scaling bonus isn't a huge deal on any other weapons you use.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
I've got a STR/ARC character, is it worth taking one of the +12% physical gems off my ax and adding a fire gem so I can get ARC scaling? Or should I just stick to a big stack of physical?

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Keep it as physical unless your ARC is higher than your STR and the scaling is at least roughly the same.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Thanks!

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

General Battuta posted:

I've got a STR/ARC character, is it worth taking one of the +12% physical gems off my ax and adding a fire gem so I can get ARC scaling? Or should I just stick to a big stack of physical?

Leave the axe alone and snag the boom hammer for your second weapon :getin:

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!
I've been working on a SKL/BTG build, and good lord I did not expect to dislike the Rifle Spear as much as I do. The R2 lunge can be amazing, but I find myself getting hosed by the moveset more often than it works for me.

I just got the Reiterpallasch and like it quite a bit more. I did a transform attack that parried a bugman in Byrgenwerth, which was loving badass. I wanna do Logarius soon so that I can get the Chikage! I feel like Reiterpallasch/Chikage is gonna be good for mains, then I still gotta decide on a gun. I picked up the cannon but 30 STR requirement kills that idea.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

General Battuta posted:

My experience, even with high ARC and low STR is that unless I can make all 3 gems Fire, that I get more damage out of 3 physical gems.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

The Kingfish posted:

Fuuuck.

what really helps is learning not to get out of dodge as soon as he starts old-boning
that bastard likes to teleport away after each swing to get a parry/visceral shot off

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Carry 20 poison knives (you can loot a bunch of them in the zone between cathedral ward and grand cathedral.

Run back to the stairs, for some reason he will slowly walk towards you in that zone so get the hits (two iirc) to get poison going. Run upstairs if he does so he gets back to walk towards you downstairs. For some reason he won't heal when poisoned and during that slow walk on the stairs so as long as you keep running away and pulling him back is just a matter of time. Even after the fix the AI is really wonky in that part.

Poison knives, the best tool against two annoying fights.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Mahlertov Cocktail posted:

I've been working on a SKL/BTG build, and good lord I did not expect to dislike the Rifle Spear as much as I do. The R2 lunge can be amazing, but I find myself getting hosed by the moveset more often than it works for me.

I just got the Reiterpallasch and like it quite a bit more. I did a transform attack that parried a bugman in Byrgenwerth, which was loving badass. I wanna do Logarius soon so that I can get the Chikage! I feel like Reiterpallasch/Chikage is gonna be good for mains, then I still gotta decide on a gun. I picked up the cannon but 30 STR requirement kills that idea.

The Evelyn is standard for a BLT/SKL character for a reason (and pairing it with a Reiterpallasch negates its parrying issues), though the Repeating Pistol does obscene burst damage with Bone Marrow Ash.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Guillermus posted:

Carry 20 poison knives (you can loot a bunch of them in the zone between cathedral ward and grand cathedral.

Run back to the stairs, for some reason he will slowly walk towards you in that zone so get the hits (two iirc) to get poison going. Run upstairs if he does so he gets back to walk towards you downstairs. For some reason he won't heal when poisoned and during that slow walk on the stairs so as long as you keep running away and pulling him back is just a matter of time. Even after the fix the AI is really wonky in that part.

Poison knives, the best tool against two annoying fights.

Umm he will ABSOLUTELY heal himself if you don't throw a numbing mist. He's been patched a bunch, people used to kill him by getting him to draw his Chikage into blood mode and then just kiting him while it killed him.

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...

Bust Rodd posted:

The point the above poster was getting at is that sometimes if you log out in a weird spot, like a chalice dungeon but also sometimes the game, then your character's connection to the server will get weird.

Starting offline will rezone you to the dream, and then you connect to the bloodeborne server normally instead of deleting your character...

But also upload your save data to a USB or psn storage every once in a while.

I didn't know that; good to know! I don't think it would have worked in my case though, because I first noticed the bug when I was creating a new character and spawning in the clinic, and it happened when trying to load any of my other characters, some of them in the dream.

If that was directed at me then... still, thanks!

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

I tried poison knives initially but he's too slippery to hit

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

The Kingfish posted:

I tried poison knives initially but he's too slippery to hit

He doesn't dodge them if he's locked into chasing you downstairs. I did it two nights ago while all previous kills were me running around like a chicken waiting him to sprint or try to lunge.

I rather fight him like a pussy over trying to down a boss (he's actually harder than most bosses in my opinion) that can shoot infinitely his gun that does more damage than Orphan of Kos.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

BCoC really is just a huge bastard, there's no shame at all in cheesing him with poison knives since he refuses to fight honorably (blood-drunk as he is)

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I don't usually call stuff unfair in soulsborne games but he is bullshit. With 40vit you can get 80% of your hp off with a single shot and he will spam if you try to heal even after dodging a few times to get some distance. He also has a ton of hp, way more than he should compared to end-game bosses.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I would not have problems with that fight if he didn't outright cheat by randomly shooting while staggered, giving you the chance to get instakilled if you ever attack him more than once in a row while his infinite ammo portable howitzer is out

If you do not want the chance of that randomly happening you have to gently caress around and stall until he puts it away, since you can only safely attack once at a time during his swing recovery while it's there

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

He reminds me of this one red phantom guy with a greatsword who appears outside the door to the purgatory in dark souls 2 in NG+, who has artificially shortened recovery times and absolutely perfect tracking. That guy can do a greatsword swing (which is ultra-greatsword class) that would normally leave you recovering for a full second, then instantly snap into a jump attack that flips him 180 degrees to track you after about the first quarter second of his recovery. It's really egregious and not at all fun to fight since it straight up removes the "fair" part of "difficult but fair" that keeps the game enjoyable. Once I saw he respawned I just started using the nearby jump to get past him.

The crow isn't nearly as bad but the fact that his artificially shortened recovery time means that he can shoot while staggered really highlights the problem with doing that to an enemy that is otherwise supposed to act like a mirror of the player.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Bullshit npc fights have always been a staple of these games. The black phantoms in Demon's Souls were complete bullshit too. 5-2 had a phantom you could only fight in a tiny island who could walk unimpeded through the surrounding poison swamps, had thousands of hp, had a weapon that ignored shields and dealt massive damage, and could retreat and full heal herself.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Demon's Souls made you fight an NPC that had the Scraping Spear...

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

who was accompanied by an npc archer and npc swordsman :iamafag:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

So since I hosed up Eileen's questline on my only playthrough, I realized I never fought the Bloody Crow of Cainhurst. I see a lot of people saying that it's a hard fight and I kinda want to borrow the PS4 again so I can give it a go, how's the fight compared to Eileen (I managed to take her out in a single try)?

• Locked thread