Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Imagined posted:

I mean the Switch is great and I'm glad it's doing well but how many people are left that want a PS4 and don't already have one?

I didn't get a PS4 until recently this year, so yeah I can believe it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
After playing Kingdom: New Lands for about four hours and reading a guide I was finally able to fulfill all objectives in order to beat the first island, and after investing in troops and farmers and builders and building a boat in the middle of the woods, then having builders haul the boat to the dock over the course of like three days, I was one gold short of the toll needed to actually ride the boat to safety. It was day thirty, winter had been set in for several days, my income supply had been cut off, and in an act of desperation that would seal my fate I used three of my nine coins to give a homeless man a bow and arrow, hoping he would kill enough rabbits to recoup the investment. He refused to leave camp and was killed in the night, though I survived with the realization that my banker had slept safely and would provide me my interest on my savings. He gave me three coins back, leaving me again with nine of the ten coins I needed for a ride to the next island, as monsters overtook my camp and followed me through the daylight to the dock of the boat, where they attacked until my coins flew into nowhere and then they finally took my tiara and ended the game.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
lol the game was like "you can dual everyone!" so of course I do just that and beat up an old man who doesn't fight back. 10/10

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Its dumb that he can parry in cutscenes but you cant in game. A timing based parry mechanic would be great in that system

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Maybe in the full game in addition to an attack boost with R, you can use your points on a defense boost with Zr

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

So this is off topic but I'm trying to get a TEFL certificate (teaching English as a foreign language certificate) so I've gone back to school for that and I'm currently in the class leading up to the practicum, which is supposed to teach us various teaching methods, how to make a lesson plan, etc. One of our assignments is to make a 50-minute lesson plan and then teach the "best" 12 minutes of that plan to our class. It's not until a little later in the year but I'm hoping to use my Switch in it. The teacher said we should incorporate something that interests us, for example if we can play the guitar or something. I immediately thought of the Switch. So I thought I would use 1-2 Switch to teach the present participle. I am counting balls, She is tilting the controller, He is eating sandwiches. It's something that has salvaged a game I otherwise have been unable to play. I brought a guy I am thinking of dating over to try and unlock all the games (which we did) and we had a pretty decent time with the game, but some of them were really obtuse or not fun.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

The Lobster posted:

So this is off topic but I'm trying to get a TEFL certificate (teaching English as a foreign language certificate) so I've gone back to school for that and I'm currently in the class leading up to the practicum, which is supposed to teach us various teaching methods, how to make a lesson plan, etc. One of our assignments is to make a 50-minute lesson plan and then teach the "best" 12 minutes of that plan to our class. It's not until a little later in the year but I'm hoping to use my Switch in it. The teacher said we should incorporate something that interests us, for example if we can play the guitar or something. I immediately thought of the Switch. So I thought I would use 1-2 Switch to teach the present participle. I am counting balls, She is tilting the controller, He is eating sandwiches. It's something that has salvaged a game I otherwise have been unable to play. I brought a guy I am thinking of dating over to try and unlock all the games (which we did) and we had a pretty decent time with the game, but some of them were really obtuse or not fun.

Ok kids, now you're going to play this game with me because I couldn't find social interaction in my home country.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Maybe in the full game in addition to an attack boost with R, you can use your points on a defense boost with Zr

You can already use boost on the Defend action. Try it.

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

26800 mAh at 3.7v adds up to 99.1 Wh, limit is at 100 :mrgw:

And if you're worried - I've been through security lines 9 times with mine and they never even batted an eye at it.

Even the time I got flagged at the gate for an extra special search and they checked all my electronics for explosive residue they didn't even question it.

I have the same power, but without the USB C connector and its been great to provide just enough power to keep my slowly charge while playing and cover my layovers with no issues.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

So I am curious, if I dock my switch to download nba2k wired while I am asleep, will it auto sleep or stay away all night and possibly brick itself? Anyone have experience with this kind of situation

Edit should be fine doing it in sleep and not waking up after apparently. People say it's 15% faster in sleep mode too

Shammypants fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Sep 15, 2017

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

XyrlocShammypants posted:

So I am curious, if I dock my switch to download nba2k wired while I am asleep, will it auto sleep or stay away all night and possibly brick itself? Anyone have experience with this kind of situation
What?

Rabelais D
Dec 11, 2012

ts'u nnu k'u k'o t'khye:
A demon doth defecate at thy door

The Lobster posted:

This seems like a lot of set-up for not much educational pay-off, like five minutes per mini game, with dead time while you get things ready, for one relevant example sentence? Like, you can mime eating a sandwich - or bring in a real sandwich - and teach the same content without messing around with a switch.

It's true that interesting props help liven a class up, but I'd be wary because if you only have 12 minutes to show off, you don't want to waste any of that time.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Pretty sure it'll go back to idle mode once the download finishes and go into sleep mode according to whatever you've set the timer to. I set up Octopath Traveler demo to download last night in the dock and made/ate dinner; the Switch was sleeping when I came back to it like an hour later.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

I haven't downloaded games docked before at night while I sleep (nba2k is huge and slow downloading) so I was worried it would get hosed up if I left it going docked overnight somehow

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

I haven't downloaded games docked before at night while I sleep (nba2k is huge and slow downloading) so I was worried it would get hosed up if I left it going docked overnight somehow

That's exactly what it's designed to do. It shouldn't cause any problems at all.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

I have two Switches!

I got a friend a switch and a download card for Splatoon 2 (I didn't even know that was a thing in a store) and am going to mail it to her and she's going mental waiting :3:

She's even going to get Zelda again cause she really needs that portable. She's nuts she'll 100% that game mark my words.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
i myself am picking up Zelda this weekend, pretty god damned hyped

as well as one "smaller" title to fill out my Starter Pack of Botw, Mario Kart, and downloadable game

thinking of going with mighty gunvolt burst or shovel knight, though I already played SK in other platforms and it is notably pricier than MG

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Tattoos? On MY black quarterback?
Man tonight I reeeaaalllyyy wish the switch supported preloading

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

If you have a baller setup with 4K and surround the PS4 is the god device with like 30 out of the top 32 games on the market.

But it doesn't have Zelda: BotW or Mario Odyssey.

There is no way the PS4 has 30 worthwhile exclusives.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Probably not true exclusives but you could definitely get up there with Sony exclusives or 'PC port is a pile of poo poo' exclusives.

EpicNemesis
Dec 3, 2005
So when is nintendo going to actually launch the real shop instead of this place holder? This can't actually be their final product but it’s been 6 months since launch.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

EpicNemesis posted:

So when is nintendo going to actually launch the real shop instead of this place holder? This can't actually be their final product but it’s been 6 months since launch.

It's not the real eShop until it plays music! :argh:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Elman posted:

There is no way the PS4 has 30 worthwhile exclusives.

Most of them may as well be, because they're certainly not helping to sell XBones.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

I had a PS4, and then I sold it, and got a Nintendo Switch :cool:

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

The Lobster posted:

Whatever their native language is, I'm sure they have words for "counting", "eating", and "tilting". You don't need to demonstrate these concepts, since they already know them. You just need to tell them the 1:1 replacement word in English. It's through repetition and practice that they will permanently incorporate these new words into their English lexicon, not through a short video game demonstration of the concepts.

That said, video games with lots of text are a good way to learn a new language, but it has to be the students playing through them over a long period of time so that they see the words over and over again. You can't do it in 12 minutes.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Frankston posted:

I had a PS4, and then I sold it, and got a Nintendo Switch :cool:

Same.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I kept my PS4 and bought a Switch

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Just got through Primrose's section of Octopath. I am going to get this day 1. I like the visuals and the simple RPG gameplay, but the ability to interact with NPCs is just fun. I want to mess around with my options.

Question, the two quests that begin in Primrose's story, can you do anything with them?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yup, for the trouble maker guy there's a girl in the dance hall with amnesia, Allure her and bring her to him. Dunno with the couple on the right hand side but explore more of the map and you can recruit the other playable character, I thought if you took him and fought the guy that might do it but I didn't get to try it yet.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

As much as I'd love a third Bravely Default game, I'm glad we are currently getting nice pixel art instead of the awful character designs that the cg cutscenes in Bravely Second promised.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Appreciated, though I wasn't looking for the solutions. I should have said so.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Whoops oh well it was only one. I think there's more quests than those two as well.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGQHQc_3ycE
I was rewatching this trailer and gently caress I can't wait look at that gameplay at that polish, that music is so good and look at all the poo poo you can do and how cool the levels are, this is such a great trailer
Goddamn this game is going to be good

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Sakurazuka posted:

Yup, for the trouble maker guy there's a girl in the dance hall with amnesia, Allure her and bring her to him. Dunno with the couple on the right hand side but explore more of the map and you can recruit the other playable character, I thought if you took him and fought the guy that might do it but I didn't get to try it yet.

Yeah challenging that guy works, and yeah there are other quests that open up in the other village too

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Inferior Third Season posted:

Whatever their native language is, I'm sure they have words for "counting", "eating", and "tilting". You don't need to demonstrate these concepts, since they already know them. You just need to tell them the 1:1 replacement word in English. It's through repetition and practice that they will permanently incorporate these new words into their English lexicon, not through a short video game demonstration of the concepts.

That said, video games with lots of text are a good way to learn a new language, but it has to be the students playing through them over a long period of time so that they see the words over and over again. You can't do it in 12 minutes.

I'm sure you didn't mean to do this but I don't think she needed you to mansplain the concept of teaching language to her.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

So Octopath is pretty cool having played to the first boss with the Knight character, the dialogue isn't great and the combat is nothing to write home about but I do enjoy being a surly rear end in a top hat fightin' 'round the world. The high point was beating the poo poo out of the kid's mom immediately after he was kidnapped.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I support using the Switch in the classroom because it's exactly the perfect setup for an Official Nintendo Switch Trailer

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Tender Bender posted:

I'm sure you didn't mean to do this but I don't think she needed you to mansplain the concept of teaching language to her.
I didn't know she was a woman, and obviously she does need someone to explain it to her because she asked whether a video game depicting people eating would help someone learn the word for "eat".

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Inferior Third Season posted:

I didn't know she was a woman, and obviously she does need someone to explain it to her because she asked whether a video game depicting people eating would help someone learn the word for "eat".

Then you should also have read more closely that the proposed lesson was not about pure vocabulary but involved the present participle, which because it describes action occurring through the present moment, actually benefits from live demonstration to separate it from simple present tense

Edit: Also it would help for you to understand what a teaching practicum is, a 12-minute demonstration to teaching faculty is actually Perfect for the Switch

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Sep 15, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
:munch:

• Locked thread