Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

netwerk23
Aug 22, 2000
I spelled 'network' wrong.
I've started a new idiot project for which I am almost in no way qualified: electric conversion for a lawn tractor.

So far I have:
1. Bought a manual online expecting it to be complete and finding it to be a ZIP file of cropped images and almost non-sense rambling
2. Scoured craigslist for a broken tractor, found one for $70. I manage to talk him down to $60 by having him keep the non-functional engine that I would scrap anyway
3. Brought the tractor home, found that all four wheels are dryrotted and lifted it onto blocks for now in a corner of the garage
4. Had google alerts search CL for me for golf cart parts, today I got a hit on a motor, batteries and a charger. This might be very good news!

The basic idea is to replace the motor with an electric transaxle (Euclid 523 is the holy grail but it's $1900) and install two small motors on the cutting deck for the blades. Wire in speed controllers, (4) 12V batteries for a 48V system and then add safety systems like cut off switches, fuses and breakers. I fully expect to electrocute myself at some point, hopefully it won't be all the amps across my heart. If I'm lucky I'll get an entire cut out of one $3 charge.

The used tractor I bought is a Craftsman LT-1000. I currently mow weekly with a corded 12A electric mower and it gets really hot in the summer. I'm excited!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Doc Block posted:

hey i tried to buy no-ads and it didn't work. like, no matter how many times i tapped the button, nothing happened. the button didn't even respond.

I pushed a new build around 2 that should fix that and many other issues

turns out IAP are submitted separately from the binary lol

it’s up now, version 1.1

Luigi Thirty fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Jul 26, 2017

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
still not working. v:shobon:v

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Doc Block posted:

still not working. v:shobon:v

god dammit!!! it worked for me. i'll see if the analytics captured anything. or I can add you to my external testers group and we can try to work through it Together since testing builds pass review in like 10 minutes if they even need review

anyway here's something that does work: drawing glyphs from the Apple 1 character ROM into a CGImage

using tutorials from the internet I wrote a lovely 8-bit indexed color system that then gets converted to ARGB32 pixels and fed into a CGImage, gets blown up to double size, and drawn by my view controller. i am embarrassed by this awful code and will probably fix it tomorrow/never

Luigi Thirty fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Jul 27, 2017

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

Wow I'd like to be as smart as a computer
Ok so after a one month hiatus I'm getting that guitar amp done!

I have received all the parts I need. No pictures but I'll post some pics when I'll build it so you will have a look then.

Also I did some renders...

with grill:
without grill:
from the back:

exploded pieces view:

I also have templates for the holes on the chassis...

front:
back:

I will improvise for the top, there's some pointers to how you should place your components (eg. power transformer must be 90deg to the output transformer, otherwise the magnetic fields will interact, tubes must follow the signal path, ...)

The cabinet will be 3/4 hard pine with the baffles being 1/2 ply.

Fanged Lawn Wormy
Jan 4, 2008

SQUEAK! SQUEAK! SQUEAK!
current ISTP:

My Soldering iron fell off a ladder on an install site (stupid) and shattered. It stopped working. I got a crummy iron to finish the job out, and then gave it a more thorough look over back at the shop. Turns out it was just a barely visible fracture in part of a PCB attached to the transformer. A little 18 gauge wire and solder fixed it right up (done with the new soldering Iron I bought as a just-in-case-I-can't-fix-this).

So, now I have the guts of a Hakko FX-888D. My thought: let's build it into an 50 caliber ammo case! Then I can use this iron on the road without worry. Plus, I can add a convenience outlet into it, and with it built into the case, I can drop solder/tips/spare parts into the spare space and not have to worry about having them!

Goofing around with AutoCad tonight, I'm working on figuring out how to lay it all out.

I'd like to try and get all the controls on top, and keep half the case at full depth, but that may not be possible. I'm still trying to figure out exactly how I'm going to mount this thing too, as i'd rather not have pan head screws making bumps on the exterior, and the steel is too thin to do it with flathead. I may rivet some brackets in the bottom and then use a few screws on the back and front panels to hold it in.

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE

Raluek posted:

jealous. do those still go for multiple hundreds of dollars?

someday i will have one and my ppc dream will be complete :allears:

I got one in pretty-good condition for $150 that included the 17" LCD (stand broke off in shipping) and what appeared to be a 16-year old's music collection circa 2004.
it doesn't have the upgraded GPU so no 22" Cinema Display, but the 20" models can be had for surprisingly cheap on eBay.

My buddy just found his old Digital8 camcorder so the new plan is to throw an SSD in there, load up FCP 4, and start editing things like it's the early 2000's. I'm considering picking up a PD-150/170 or Canon GL2 and a DV Deck to build the canonical indie video editing setup.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Jimmy Carter posted:

I got one in pretty-good condition for $150 that included the 17" LCD (stand broke off in shipping) and what appeared to be a 16-year old's music collection circa 2004.
it doesn't have the upgraded GPU so no 22" Cinema Display, but the 20" models can be had for surprisingly cheap on eBay.

My buddy just found his old Digital8 camcorder so the new plan is to throw an SSD in there, load up FCP 4, and start editing things like it's the early 2000's. I'm considering picking up a PD-150/170 or Canon GL2 and a DV Deck to build the canonical indie video editing setup.

yeah thats still more than i want to spend on a 15 year old mac. ill stick with my 12" pbg4 and mdd tower for now; maybe someday my cube dreams will come true

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
finally got working drafts together for every chapter of the trump thing. there's a playlist here:

https://soundcloud.com/danwarren/sets/hardcore-prophecy-the-trump

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Fanged Lawn Wormy posted:

current ISTP:

My Soldering iron fell off a ladder on an install site (stupid) and shattered. It stopped working. I got a crummy iron to finish the job out, and then gave it a more thorough look over back at the shop. Turns out it was just a barely visible fracture in part of a PCB attached to the transformer. A little 18 gauge wire and solder fixed it right up (done with the new soldering Iron I bought as a just-in-case-I-can't-fix-this).

So, now I have the guts of a Hakko FX-888D. My thought: let's build it into an 50 caliber ammo case! Then I can use this iron on the road without worry. Plus, I can add a convenience outlet into it, and with it built into the case, I can drop solder/tips/spare parts into the spare space and not have to worry about having them!

In college, my dad got me my first regulated soldering iron so that i could throw out my piece-of-poo poo radio shack solderfucker. this would have been a moment of great pride for us, except both of us knew nothing about good brands, so i ended up with a no-name hakko clone that didn't work quite right. it turned out whoever soldered the connector for the detachable soldering iron cable didn't know how to solder (lol), so first the thermistor line broke, then one of the actual leads (only a few strands of each wire had actually been soldered, and the rest had been cut off or left sticking out). Once I realized what had happened, i tried to fix it, but this was the only soldering iron in the house.

turns out that it is tricky to use a soldering iron to repair itself, especially when you have to uplug it constantly to avoid shorting something out or shocking yourself.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008
since this seems to be the thread for old computer junk, zachtronics (spacechem, tis-100, Shenzhen IO) ported the version of solitaire from Shenzhen io to ms-dos and you can buy it and the source (for Borland C++ 3.1!) on a floppy on kickstarter https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1812249267/shenzhen-solitaire-for-ms-dos

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Arcsech posted:

since this seems to be the thread for old computer junk, zachtronics (spacechem, tis-100, Shenzhen IO) ported the version of solitaire from Shenzhen io to ms-dos and you can buy it and the source (for Borland C++ 3.1!) on a floppy on kickstarter https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1812249267/shenzhen-solitaire-for-ms-dos

nah this thread is more appropriate https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3486712

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

d-drat

Shaman Linavi
Apr 3, 2012

was a lot easier than i thought it was going to be to publish my webapp to a different azure site

no more lovely autogenerated url for my idiot project

edit: now i just need google search to stop returning the old url :arghfist:

Shaman Linavi fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Sep 6, 2017

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

animating some sprites and starting to figure out how to use the Jaguar GPU for block-fill operations and drawing colored lines

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
holy poo poo

I always wanted to make a jaguar game but it seemed super hard with the weird processors, memory controller bugs, and there were no decent emulators to try it on last time I looked into it.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

yes the hardware is full of bugs and the memory controller doesn't work and the DMA channels are broken and the blitter is slow as balls and you have to program the GPU and DSP in homemade RISC assembly languages but at least there's a 68K you can program with C!!!

the hardware designer said they didn't think people would use the 68k for anything but reading joypads

someone hacked a debugger into Virtual Jaguar and added ELF support but i haven't gotten it working yet

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Luigi Thirty posted:

the hardware designer said they didn't think people would use the 68k for anything but reading joypads

... did he say why he threw in a whole 68k just for reading joypads

because holy balls in the early-mid 90s a 68k was just massively overpriced overkill for that job, even though i'm sure it wasn't as expensive as it once had been

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
IIRC he said it was to give developers something familiar to get started with, since the other two processors were totally custom. almost a hedge against developers shunning the system because they didn't know how to write software for it, at a time when console games were still written in assembly.

but IIRC the 68k was the only one of the jaguar's three processors that could read the joypads because reasons :w00t:

Doc Block fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Sep 7, 2017

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
128 bit gaming

N.Z.'s Champion
Jun 8, 2003

Yam Slacker
i've been trying to make a XML / HTML parser and I don't really know what i'm doing. I'm trying to use zero-copy techniques so it doesn't convert the input into a big nested object but instead it just stores references back to offsets in the original file which is probably more memory efficient.

Angela Merkle Tree
Jan 4, 2012

the definition of open: "mkdir android ; cd android ; repo init -u git://android.git.kernel.org/platform/manifest.git ; repo sync ; make"
College Slice
i've been learning c++ by integrating the mruby script engine in gtav

right now it gets called on every game tick, and has access to a few of the native engine functions. since the game takes ages to start, i also implemented a script reloader by hitting f11

i'm using a community sdk that lets you hook into the game with c++ code, and mruby makes it easy to call functions in both directions from c++ <-> ruby. up until a week ago i knew nothing about c/c++ and now i've got a basic embedded vm, which i think speaks wonders about how easy it is to integrate mruby

github repo, the two most-interesting files are script.cpp (engine integration) and mruby/bootstrap.rb (sets up the ruby runtime/environment)

Angela Merkle Tree fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Sep 12, 2017

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

FWIW that code appears to be more C than cpp (if you should be wanting to learn cpp specifically)

Angela Merkle Tree
Jan 4, 2012

the definition of open: "mkdir android ; cd android ; repo init -u git://android.git.kernel.org/platform/manifest.git ; repo sync ; make"
College Slice

Progressive JPEG posted:

FWIW that code appears to be more C than cpp (if you should be wanting to learn cpp specifically)
yeah to be honest i don't even know the difference at this point, i'm just typing in whatever visual studio tells me to :v: i've never used a proper ide before this either which might have explained my difficulties learning it earlier

Hunter2 Thompson
Feb 3, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
If you want direction to make it more C++ and less C, learn a little bit of the STL (it's good), use namespaces.

I'm always impressed with your GTA stuff :)

Angela Merkle Tree
Jan 4, 2012

College Slice
thanks, i've been over the moon about this too. i'm at the point of auto-generating the glue code for binding native functions to ruby, would it be advisable to dive in the deep end with templates? for now i've just got a ruby script generating the c code.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
my thing is kinda done

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGYeTmHHZQM

muckswirler
Oct 22, 2008

Steve Reich would be proud god drat son.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Holy loving jesus christ, this is amazing

I'm only at the BURNINGS graph and this is amazing work.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
thanks! do feel free to share it around; i'm really hoping dan carlin sees it even if he yells at me

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

amazing work

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
oh my god

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
making little metal boxes for storage bins.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

C.H.O.M.E posted:

making little metal boxes for storage bins.

put your dick in the brake

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

meat planet 2.0

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

I don't get it

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
what do you not get

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Who's Dan Carlin is he that comedian that died

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Bloody posted:

Who's Dan Carlin is he that comedian that died

he's a guy who talks about history on a podcast while making too many boxing analogies

also politics sometimes, also with the boxing analogies

he did talk radio for a while in like the 90s so his diction kinda sounds like rush limbaugh, but Dan carlin isn't a rotting colostomy bag of opinions like rush

Arcsech fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Sep 17, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I had no idea who Dan Carlin was but could still appreciate ART, man