Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I'm normally much better at NEO Scavenger, but I've just been having a string of awful luck.

One game a wolfman stumbled into my nearly-max concealment camp on my first night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Major Isoor posted:

Now the question is...are you going to try again with the same build, or use a different one to spice things up? :D Did pretty well, to make it this far into the thread, haha

Imma toll up a Mediocre Shitposter! Thank God I finally unlocked it!

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

YASD to complacency. Once you've seen this many posts you don't figure any one of them for being a big deal.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Samizdata posted:

Imma toll up a Mediocre Shitposter!

You dick

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Yaws posted:

You dick

I was more expecting a "Dude, try a NEW class. You're already capped on shitposter!" but, okay, I will channel my inner Notch then.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Pfft. Shitposter is an underperforming gimmick that newbs love because it's flashy and has a strong start. Try making a Smug Gatekeeper, it's got way more endgame potential.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

I heartily endorse Sporigwood or however you spell it i've been drining

A RL than lures you in with cutesy graphics but thens pounds your face into the sand. Good poo poo!

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Pfft. Shitposter is an underperforming gimmick that newbs love because it's flashy and has a strong start. Try making a Smug Gatekeeper, it's got way more endgame potential.

:golfclap:

Anyone got a FAQ on the Goondev class?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

If you can't get a shitposter to endgame, you're probably just bad. The secret is that you shitpost with discretion. If you make every move a shitpost, you run into the issue of diminishing returns. You have to be selective, use other posting moves until you get the right opportunity.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

I know most people look down on pet classes, but seriously you should all try being a Lazy Forum Owner, it basically runs itself.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Phrosphor posted:

I know most people look down on pet classes, but seriously you should all try being a Lazy Forum Owner, it basically runs itself.

Well, although it can be fun to mess around as an LFO now and again, I find that it gets a bit boring sometimes; especially when you've accumulated a decent number of minions/summons. Since not only do they fight all your battles for you, they also periodically drop gold that you can pick up!
So yeah, good for a fun hour or so session, but after that it just gets a bit monotonous really.

EDIT: Hmm, well I guess it might be a good class to play, if you fancy playing a RL while watching or listening to something, as it's very hands-off, as you said.

Major Isoor fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Sep 13, 2017

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

Yaws posted:

I died on the 562 level of the Roguelike thread.

RIP Yaws

How did you even die? You had tons of post edits left in you inventory. Use your consumables, people!

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?
Unexplored kind of owns. Ran into a room filled with ovals. Poked them with a sword. Turns out they were eggs. Now I'm dead.

This game has some of the best proc gen levels I've seen.

Oh yeah and there was an interview recently with the creator on Roguelike Radio which got me back into it: http://www.roguelikeradio.com/2017/09/episode-139-unexplored.html

General Emergency fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Sep 13, 2017

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
Unexplored has like by far the most interesting proc gen levels I've ever seen. I had a puzzle that spanned like 3 floors across multiple branches on levels with puzzles with partial rewards leading to the final puzzle reward. It was crazy, and I could barely believe it was procedurally generated instead of hand-made.

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?
drat right. I'm really interested in seeing what they'll come up with in Unexplored 2. Apparently it will not be dungeon based but more of an open world. Something like ADOM or CoQ from what I've understood.

The combat is really interesting too. It's realtime but feels very turn based.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Mighty Dicktron posted:

Unexplored has like by far the most interesting proc gen levels I've ever seen. I had a puzzle that spanned like 3 floors across multiple branches on levels with puzzles with partial rewards leading to the final puzzle reward. It was crazy, and I could barely believe it was procedurally generated instead of hand-made.
I've never heard of this game before just now and now I want it.

Edit: God dammit. Lost a Neo Scavenger character because I assumed a Dogman would stay unconscious long enough for me to run up to it and beat it to death with a crowbar. Instead, it woke up, got in one claw swipe, and obliterated my head, killing me instantly.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Sep 13, 2017

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Mighty Dicktron posted:

As someone who is spending a lot of time thinking about how to do interesting procgen levels (albeit in a 2D platformer context), this sounds definitely worthy of investigation. Would you care to talk more about your impressions of the game's level gen?

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
I'm not really quite sure how to put it myself, I'm not good enough of a game critic/have enough of an understanding how these are generated to put strong opinions on it past "it whips rear end" but there's an article here about how it was done and this cyclic level generation rather than standard branching seems to make these levels with an incredibly hand-crafted feel to them. I didn't mention it because I also forgot about it, but there was even a boss that generated at the end of that series of puzzles, which super tempered the "getting keys to get more keys" feel that you tend to get in lazier hand-made levels, too.
It does have a problem of occasionally making dead ends that you can't escape from, but there's a few tools in there to prevent those from happening (the Pray button will generate a teleport in exchange for some small danger, most of these spawn in with descend or teleport scrolls just in case, and failing that there's a reset code system if it's completely inescapable.)
The game also generates with like extensive sidequesting that's different most of the time, like one where it'll generate lots of dragonscales for you to make fire-resistant armor so you can go through the lots of fire-themed areas. Or getting A Gun. It's just super rad.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
I"m sure most of you have watched this, but here's a talk about how they do it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mA6PacEZX9M

ConfusedPig
Mar 27, 2013

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

As someone who is spending a lot of time thinking about how to do interesting procgen levels (albeit in a 2D platformer context), this sounds definitely worthy of investigation. Would you care to talk more about your impressions of the game's level gen?

There's actually a Rock Paper Shotgun article on the subject: https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2017/03/10/how-unexplored-generates-great-roguelike-dungeons/

Dropbear
Jul 26, 2007
Bombs away!
Gah! Tried the "beat Dungeonmans on your academy's first dude"-achievement. Was going pretty well, steamrolling everything until a boss in the purple spire thingy hit me for ~1550 damage in a single hit (not a crit, or anything avoidable with the red warnings). Good times! :shepface:

Dropbear fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Sep 14, 2017

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Neglected your resistances, huh?

Dropbear
Jul 26, 2007
Bombs away!

PMush Perfect posted:

Neglected your resistances, huh?

Nope, fire and cold were around 80%+, the rest around 60%. I could have used the desperation orb debuff on the mob I guess, but that still would've killed me pretty handily. I suppose that's the weakness of light armor builds; the ginarmous light shield & 90%+ dodge rate carried me that far so easily I got complacent.

Dropbear fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Sep 14, 2017

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

If you still have the academy file, I'd try talking to madjack/posting it in the dmans thread. If nothing else, he'd probably be able to figure out exactly what happened.

Kobold Sex Tape
Feb 17, 2011

:siren: http://www.adom.de/home/changelog.html :siren:

new adom patch, if you're a pre-release backer. whoooooooole lot of poo poo. big hits are:

• The Volcano and Rolf's quest
  • 45 new items!
  • Levitation!
  • Pure items that reduce corruption of other items you've got
  • Rechargable wizard staves that can do useful stuff, or just turn you bald.
  • Random stats on missiles are gone so you don't have to deal with having 5 stacks of 2 rocks of very minor stat differences
  • The reloading UI is different now somehow i dont know
  • Equipment slots you don't have any items for are greyed out so you don't waste your god drat time looking for a cloak when you don't have one.
  • Your health number changes colors based on your HP like every roguelike ever now
  • The pickup/drop screen looks like this now i guess
  • The talents screen is organized by category instead of being a big alphabetical blob!
  • The hilarious enter menu bug that allowed you to explore and kick things to death without any turns passing has been fixed.
  • The bug that made spells and far slaying wands do extra damage based on monster PV is gone (r.i.p. hitting red wyrms for a free 50 damage per far slaying bounce)
  • Other poo poo!

e: theres new bracers my god waht a magical era

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!
Please tell me reloading brings up a list to select from instead of me mashing N until it selects some arrows that aren't a bundle of two -1 1d6 followed by a bundle of 2 eternium unerring arrows etc etc

Kobold Sex Tape
Feb 17, 2011

Dr. Dos posted:

Please tell me reloading brings up a list to select from instead of me mashing N until it selects some arrows that aren't a bundle of two -1 1d6 followed by a bundle of 2 eternium unerring arrows etc etc

i'll try to get the guy i'm hounding for info to screencap it. right now he's looking through like 30 of the new staves. there's poo poo like Minor Volcano Summoning. also a new potion of self mutiliation. it makes you punch and scratch yourself in the head for waht appears to be minor damage but we don't know how it interacts with max hp or the thorns mutation. the death log message is "Ripped himself apart" which is pretty metal.

e: yeah instead of the stupid message it pops up a list of your appropriate missiles to choose from. thank loving god

Kobold Sex Tape fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Sep 15, 2017

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I'm glad there's an update coming soon but man has it taken an epic amount of time. The crowdfunding campaign ended in 2012 and still isn't completely finished.

Kobold Sex Tape
Feb 17, 2011

TOOT BOOT posted:

I'm glad there's an update coming soon but man has it taken an epic amount of time. The crowdfunding campaign ended in 2012 and still isn't completely finished.

yeah it was a loooong time for even just this last update. i think it was originally promised in march or something stupid. but there was like, a death in biskup's family, and then he became horribly ill, and then he broke his arm horrifically in a freak dancing accident, so there's a tleast some excuse for why it's taken so long

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.
oh, I'm a prerelease backer! I'm going to go download that right now.

Kobold Sex Tape
Feb 17, 2011

so we've got the location of 5 (i think) the 6 macguffins needed for the beginning of the rolf's quest figured out, but uh turns out there may be a game ending error after you get one of them. stay out of the ancient dungeon right now to avoid it. guess that's what pre-release beta testing is for!

if you dont mind a character being trapped in a dungeon forever you could go there and peep some new monsters though

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Kobold Sex Tape posted:

he broke his arm horrifically in a freak dancing accident

Ah the old "broke my arm in a freak dancing accident" excuse.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Believe in Mecha Biskup---no longer is he purely bound by the the caprices of flesh.

2017 ARRP Hype is afoot....though it kind of sneaked up this year. I blame tumultuous world events~

http://www.roguebasin.com/index.php?title=2017_ARRP

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Jordan7hm posted:

It's a phone game and thus is filled with timers and IAP but holy poo poo I am enjoying the hell out of Gumballs and Dungeons. It is very much a roguelike in the Desktop Dungeons or Sproggiwood vein, where you send your characters (gumballs) on little adventures (in dungeons) in order to collect resources which you use to build up your overworld and provide yourself with new gumballs to use and dungeons to explore.

The gameplay itself is pretty straightforward. Each floor is a 6x5 grid, which you clear by flipping tiles. In any given tile you'll find monsters, items, potions, shops, etc. One of the monsters will drop a key, which you use to open the door to the next level down.

You have a dozen or more dungeons to clear, each of which will offer you a few runs where you learn the dungeon by completing early floors. Once you've done that three times, you generally earn a new character, and that's the point where the game opens up with an endless dungeon option.

While there are well over a hundred gumballs to play with, the game does something really interesting by restricting the variation between characters. Each gumball has two unique skills: a global "talent" that improves things for everyone (giving you a good reason to collect em all) and a skill that is used when they're actually exploring, or when they're assisting an exploration (around the fourth dungeon you'll select a main gumball and two helpers on each run). Otherwise, they all share one of three classes: Mage, Melee, Adventurer. Each class has different paths to upgrade as you level up, and a huge part of the game is figuring out synergies between equipment, gumballs, and skill paths to use. If your helpers are from different classes, you can actually level up in those skills too, which expands the options even more.

The monetization isn't really gratuitous; it's actually pretty good for a game of this type. I've played it for about a week and dropped a buck in it after the first couple days because I enjoyed it so much, but am nowhere near feeling like I need to put in more. I still have an absolute ton to unlock.

Also there's some completely separate mode based on air exploration. There is just a ton of stuff to do. I don't know how you'd take out the IAP to make this a paid app, but I'd certainly pay 20-30$ for this game in a non-monetized version with some of the timer based mechanics stripped down.

It's on android so you can emulate if you're curious.

There is a thread on the game https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3803224&pagenumber=57&perpage=40

The game has a surprising amount of depth and get to a decent floor level is pretty difficult. Each dungeon is radically different. It took me about 6 months to get bored. Bosses quickly get to the point where they will one shot you. Luckily there are lots of tools you help you survive (reduce damage taken/prevent attacks/stop time/ auto revive).

There is also a goon guild so you can poo poo post while playing.

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Look, I'm startin' to believe some of the stuff the cult guy's been saying, it's starting to make a lot of sense.

Weedle posted:

Ah the old "broke my arm in a freak dancing accident" excuse.
Not every roguelike dev is cut out for the hard life on the dancefloor, I guess.

Dropbear posted:

Nope, fire and cold were around 80%+, the rest around 60%. I could have used the desperation orb debuff on the mob I guess, but that still would've killed me pretty handily. I suppose that's the weakness of light armor builds; the ginarmous light shield & 90%+ dodge rate carried me that far so easily I got complacent.
It might have been Starwarper Catastrophus cause that's usually the cause of salty death in that area. Resists to his damage types are usually low, and if you happened to had a lingering Resists Crushed on you from a mob outside the lair, well :(

No non-AK, non-PostGame monster does 1550 in one hit without some help.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

madjackmcmad posted:

Not every roguelike dev is cut out for the hard life on the dancefloor, I guess.

Someone's got to give you material for the next patch.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
"Staying Alive" - so long as you boogie the whole night long, nothing can keep you down.
~Ahhh, Auuggh, Auuuuuuuggghhhh!

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I love NEO Scavenger, but the Android version is clearly intended for a tablet. My phone could run it fine, but my touch screen was not up for the task without constant zooming in.

Dropbear
Jul 26, 2007
Bombs away!

madjackmcmad posted:

It might have been Starwarper Catastrophus cause that's usually the cause of salty death in that area. Resists to his damage types are usually low, and if you happened to had a lingering Resists Crushed on you from a mob outside the lair, well :(

No non-AK, non-PostGame monster does 1550 in one hit without some help.

Can't recall the name, but it was a boss with the purple centaur-thing's sprite. No previous debuffs (it was a longish walk to him, and I got about halfway through his huge healthpool so they would've run out by then), but if the boss casts them himself, that might be it.

Good to know that insta-splats like this aren't the norm. Next time..!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
We Slay Monsters released a patch with a hard mode, so now it's actually worth playing - and I'm saying that as somebody who still hasn't beaten Dungeon Crawl or ToME. It's a roguelike where you attack forming poker hands out of cards dealt to you, only it gets more complicated than it sounds. Basically, the problem was that you were given a lot of options to manipulate your hand, and some suits' special powers allowed you to stunlock enemies. It was very fun to do, but also made the game ridiculously easy. You can still do that, but now you'll be under barrage from the monster's ranged attack buddies who hit harder than before, and might actually have to teleport out of trouble or quaff potions. A good game, I'm enjoying it quite a bit.