Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

JawKnee posted:

hell is multiple owners

Not counting the one embezzling and cooking the books who got pushed out years ago, the owners of my place are pretty great at not making our lives poo poo. Then again they're all industry vets who worked at the same bar for years so they're all more or less on the same wavelength. :v: But I have heard horror stories of owners butting heads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
On one hand, for various reasons I don't think the new job is fixing to give me a sous bump over some of the other talent they've been building for a year+. This sucks, because I'm on the wrong side of 30 and I got the cognitive capacity and cash on hand for some IT certs and a job search so 2018 might finally, finally be the year to pull the ripcord on this donkey show. I have to build a rep back up from not much in an entirely new institution that doesn't give two fucks about me really, and that was exhausting enough at the Omni. I got the minerals for the job, but in the immortal words of Jimmy McNulty: Maybe the things that make me right for this job are the things that make me terrible for everything else. This is not a state that will change with brain candy. Sometimes you make depression go away with medication, and sometimes depression holds the key to hard truths you've maybe been compulsively avoiding, y'know?

On the other hand tonight was without question the best service I've had in two years, our lovely little outlet cleared $125 grand in 72 hours, I'm part of an exceptional team and there's dysfunction and gossip and drama and horseshit, but there's always that and for the first time in my career I'm working in a grown up brigade with honest-to-christ expos and runners who do all the poo poo I knew all the shithead runners I've worked with shoulda been doing all this time. I have a kitchen high tonight. I haven't had that in a long time, from anything. I'm fuckin' shaking. I love it. It's gonna kill me.

Land of contrasts, my friends.

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Ok one thing that pissed me off this week. And let me know if I'm on the wrong here:

Online restaurant reviews: Ok I get it. If the service was absolute dog poo poo make the petty comment that will gently caress over a person. Great!

But, I got one this week because my keg emptied in the middle of dinner rush and gave him a half beer and said we're changing the keg and I can offer you anything else.

This dude goes online and complains to ownership.

THE WHOLE PURPOSE OF MY JOB IS TO SERVE YOU! SO TELL ME WHAT YOU WANT!

gently caress! It's not that hard. Jesus Christ.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
and there you have it folks, the one quality rant 'a man and his dog' will ever have made

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

mindphlux posted:

and there you have it folks, the one quality rant 'a man and his dog' will ever have made

It was a valid and high quality rant.

The real question that hasn't been answered is... Does the angry guy get down

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
An Excellent Rant, if you will. Hope you don't get in trouble for it, ManDog.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
A Man and his dog, was the keg empty because you finished it? Did the customer watch you finish the keg after he placed his drink order?

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

why the feds worried bout me clockin on this corner/
when there's politicians out here gettin popped in arizona
so at both of my jobs i get order from services like Doordash, Postmates, whatever. i just make em and dont think twice about it, never used em myself but orders for these services are tagged PM or DD on the tickets so to me it seems like we get a lot of them. so i went out to dinner with my mom tonight and she was telling me how her husband and her ordered a couple pizzas from a local store that advertised delivery from one of those services. after they put their order in and pay like 40 minutes later they get a text from the delivery driver who says "im here". well she wasnt there and never actually showed up with their pizzas but they were still charged AND the driver gave herself a $10 tip.

my moms husband calls the restaurant who of course says it's a 3rd party and theres nothing they can do. so he calls postmates who basically tells him to get bent. he keeps writing and finally includes all the documentation as well as the text chain showing that their driver basically committed fraud by giving herself a tip and they finally agree to refund him. after that's said and done he goes onto yelp and leaves a bad review for the restaurant which, as someone who works in the industry, immediately made me queasy. i thought about it for a minute tho and looked at the store's website and they do indeed very blatantly advertise delivery thru postmates on their website and has a way to place a delivery order directly thru the store's website. at first i totally agreed with the restaurant that it was a 3rd party and not their responsibility but the more i thought about i kinda think the restaurant should have taken more responsibility- they very boldly advertised that they did delivery thru this company and this one only on their website and other marketing materials. im still not totally sure what i think about this whole situation so what do you think industry goons?

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Discendo Vox posted:

A Man and his dog, was the keg empty because you finished it? Did the customer watch you finish the keg after he placed his drink order?

new pro way to exit a job

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

the great deceiver posted:

so at both of my jobs i get order from services like Doordash, Postmates, whatever. i just make em and dont think twice about it, never used em myself but orders for these services are tagged PM or DD on the tickets so to me it seems like we get a lot of them. so i went out to dinner with my mom tonight and she was telling me how her husband and her ordered a couple pizzas from a local store that advertised delivery from one of those services. after they put their order in and pay like 40 minutes later they get a text from the delivery driver who says "im here". well she wasnt there and never actually showed up with their pizzas but they were still charged AND the driver gave herself a $10 tip.

my moms husband calls the restaurant who of course says it's a 3rd party and theres nothing they can do. so he calls postmates who basically tells him to get bent. he keeps writing and finally includes all the documentation as well as the text chain showing that their driver basically committed fraud by giving herself a tip and they finally agree to refund him. after that's said and done he goes onto yelp and leaves a bad review for the restaurant which, as someone who works in the industry, immediately made me queasy. i thought about it for a minute tho and looked at the store's website and they do indeed very blatantly advertise delivery thru postmates on their website and has a way to place a delivery order directly thru the store's website. at first i totally agreed with the restaurant that it was a 3rd party and not their responsibility but the more i thought about i kinda think the restaurant should have taken more responsibility- they very boldly advertised that they did delivery thru this company and this one only on their website and other marketing materials. im still not totally sure what i think about this whole situation so what do you think industry goons?

gently caress 3rd party delivery services, and the restaurants owners that enable

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

JawKnee posted:

gently caress 3rd party delivery services, and the restaurants owners that enable

Also since the 3rd party services (especially Postmates) are giant Uber-like assholes that underpay and overwork drivers.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

One of my co-workers was gushing the other day about how UberEats delivers Shari's so she can get pie whenever she wants for just a $5 delivery fee. All i could think was "How much of that is the driver getting?"

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Republicans posted:

One of my co-workers was gushing the other day about how UberEats delivers Shari's so she can get pie whenever she wants for just a $5 delivery fee. All i could think was "How much of that is the driver getting?"

Here's a little bit more on the topic for you.
http://splinternews.com/meet-the-lawyer-taking-on-uber-and-the-rest-of-the-on-d-1793847165

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

That is a pretty great degree of deceit, for sure.

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

Republicans posted:

oh man sharis fuckin owns tho. im all about that marionberry pie

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

oh man sharis fuckin owns tho. im all about that marionberry pie

Sour cream lemon is the best Shari's pie and I will fight you

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
I'm in Denver. Where should I eat downtown? Staying at an Airbnb near the Zoo.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

How's the kitchen at your place? I've heard good things about Zebrasteak.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Republicans posted:

UberEats supports tips now, so probably a bunch

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Elizabethan Error posted:

UberEats supports tips now, so probably a bunch

Most people tip for poo poo on delivery. I'm sure you tip well, and I know I tip well but from experience both delivering pizza a decade ago, and working in restaurants that use UberEats/GrubHub/Postmates/whatever, it's not good tips compared to working in a sit down restaurant, and I think it's gotten worse.

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Sep 12, 2017

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Sour cream lemon is the best Shari's pie and I will fight you

actually my favorite sharis pie is the peanut butter chocolate one but i'll try the sour cream lemon one next time im at sharis which will likely also be the next time im so drunk and high i cant even stand up at about 3am

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Skwirl posted:

Most people tip for poo poo on delivery. I'm sure you tip well, and I know I tip well but from experience both delivering pizza a decade ago, and working in restaurants that use UberEats/GrubHub/Postmates/whatever, it's not good tips compared to working in a sit down restaurant, and I think it's gotten worse.

true, though i used to run for ubereats and they definitely got the restaurants to pay them for using the service via the tablet.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Elizabethan Error posted:

true, though i used to run for ubereats and they definitely got the restaurants to pay them for using the service via the tablet.

I think most or all of the delivery charge goes to the driver, and all of the tip should legally, but they don't get anything else.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

A while back the restaurant I work at ended up on postmates somehow with a three years out-of-date menu. It was "fun" dealing with phone calls trying to order items we literally didn't have ingredients for.

Although perhaps I shouldn't airquote because the "if they already paid you that sounds like your problem not ours" part was pretty satisfying. I forget how many phone calls it ended up taking to get us taken off.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

You should definitely get over to this indoor mall called the Source and drink beer at Crooked Stave and eat at Acorn.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Phanatic posted:

You should definitely get over to this indoor mall called the Source and drink beer at Crooked Stave and eat at Acorn.

Yeah, like, are you stuck downtown for some reason? The zoo isn't really that close to downtown so I'm a little puzzled. Acorn is great, but it's decidedly not downtown either. I'd give different recommendations if you're able to travel than if you're just walking up and down 16th st mall or whatever.

Anyway as far as downtown goes, osteria marco is good italian, try the burrata & lonzo. Rioja was decent upscale pan-Mediterranean although it's been a while. The Kitchen is a fairly classic menu, but good food & pretty reliable. Freshcraft is a good place to grab a few beers and a good sandwich. Biker Jims if you want a an inventive and well-made sausage on a bun. Euclid hall for poutine and other food, decent drink selection in an historic building. Mercantile in union station is great. There's also a snooze and a kitchen next door in there for breakfast or lunch.

Willing to walk a bit, head up to work & class or cart driver. Blue corn empanadas at work & class are great. Lamb and cabrito too. Get a pile of sides, some meat & some handmade tortillas, go to town. Hop alley is also decent. Bijus little curry shop is also up that way for solid fast casual Indian. Guard & grace if you want a good steak and have some cash to burn.

Outside of downtown area, acorn is one of my consistent favorites. Avanti food hall is sorta nearby and has a bunch of options. Quiero arepas is where it's at though. Tacos, tequila & whisky (formerly pinche tacos), or la Calle if you want a more traditional taco joint. Las Tortas for well, tortas. I can keep going if there's something specific you're looking for, or if you can clarify your transportation situation.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
We're lyfting around town, so nothing too crazy far from 27th/vine.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

:allears:

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things
Do people actually do this?

quote:

But Alton went on to tell a story about how he and his wife were in North Carolina, and they were at a seaside restaurant that had recently revamped its menu such that it no longer included hush puppies.  “And my baby wanted hush puppies,” Alton said.  So he ordered some.
“I’m sorry, sir; those aren’t on the menu,” said the server.
”They are so on the menu,” Alton (said that he) said.  “Your catfish, here, is rolled in cornmeal.  Your fried chicken is soaked in buttermilk.  Your french fries are made in a deep-fat fryer.  Combine the cornmeal and the buttermilk, make them in to balls, fry them, and serve them to my wife.”
I would have guessed doing this sort of thing would, at best, get you the world shittiest $100 batch of hush puppies. Never mind what other sort of violence it might invite on the rest of your food.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

twodot posted:

Do people actually do this?

I would have guessed doing this sort of thing would, at best, get you the world shittiest $100 batch of hush puppies. Never mind what other sort of violence it might invite on the rest of your food.

I once got a similar level of snark from someone who wanted chips and salsa. We were a BBQ restaurant.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
Same but onion rings. It was a Mexican cantina.

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Same eggs rolls. Sir this is an Italian restaurant.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I've gotten shakes a lot and hot dogs once. Neither are anywhere on our menu.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
The gently caress kind of seafood place doesn't do hush puppies, anyway

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Malachite_Dragon posted:

The gently caress kind of seafood place doesn't do hush puppies, anyway

the kind that isn't a seafood place, but actually a seaside place

Samizdata
May 14, 2007
Same with chicken fingers, because, see, this is a Jiffy Lube.

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe
I have a regular that comes in every day at lunch, Monday to Friday, and orders either an alfredo, a carbonara, or bacon and eggs with one piece of toast. We're a soul food restaurant and cocktail bar. The guy who comes in used to get pasta at the owner's other (now closed) restaurant 8 years ago, so now that he's followed him here, we still make it for him.

He's actually a really nice guy and also drinks two 10oz glasses of white wine every day, so I'm pretty ok with it. Just sometimes I forget to put on a pot of water at 1pm and then have to scramble to have his poo poo in the window by 1:15 (when he likes to eat).

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe
I will say that while I wouldn't ever do that with food, I did get pretty pissed off at one restaurant when I asked for an Old Fashioned and they told me they couldn't do it, when I could clearly see both bourbon and rye, bitters, and simple syrup in other drinks on their cocktail menu.

It's not that loving hard to make. Just put three things in a glass. See, look how easy it is.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Naelyan posted:

I will say that while I wouldn't ever do that with food, I did get pretty pissed off at one restaurant when I asked for an Old Fashioned and they told me they couldn't do it, when I could clearly see both bourbon and rye, bitters, and simple syrup in other drinks on their cocktail menu.

It's not that loving hard to make. Just put three things in a glass. See, look how easy it is.

Jesus, and that's a common, well known drink. Did you offer to give them instructions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
I went to a casino once when I was living in the UK

I played a no limit holdem tournament, drank beer at my table

I won 2nd place in the thing, like 600 quid.

they offered to get me a drink, I figured, gently caress it, I'll have a martini, all james bond like in my (trashy) casino in the uk

I ordered it, they came back 5 minutes later, they didn't know what a martini was. "like... vodka on ice?"

I kindly explained "no, a martini is gin, shaken over ice, strained, with the tiniest splash of vermouth, and I'd like mine with a twist, or wedge of lime please"

they brought me a cup of gordon's gin, on ice, mixed 50/50 with vermouth. and no lime.

lol gently caress

thanks grosvenor