Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Oh, also, random MSB2 tip: check out the recipe for quantum tanks. I'm almost positive it's going to get nerfed as all it needs is a bucket and some iron + obsidian, and it holds 2^31-1 mB of liquid.

Buckets require a Rolling Machine which is technically past AE2-level tech, based on the progression of the pack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Unrelated, but thanks to whoever noticed how cheap Yellorium is.

gently caress you canola and gently caress you forestry multifarms

i'm actually throttling this monster down to 71% fuel rod insertion due to my crappy capacitors and fluxducts :v:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Ok so, I think the reason I'm crashing is because I have this specific driver version:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Minecraft/comments/5q05wu/psa_latest_nvidia_gpu_driver_crashes_minecraft/

Never thought I'd have to update my drivers to run loving minecraft...

E: Tested it, yeah that was the problem.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Sep 14, 2017

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug
Speaking of MSB2, what are good early game fuel sources other than the good ol' fashioned charcoal? I just hit the Iron age and can make redstone and stuff.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Falcon2001 posted:

Speaking of MSB2, what are good early game fuel sources other than the good ol' fashioned charcoal? I just hit the Iron age and can make redstone and stuff.

It's basically just charcoal for now. You can smelt plant matter into charcoal, so at least it's easy to make.

Check the tooltips for the combustion heaters. Some of them use RF, and others use goofy things like lava and radioactive powder. I wanna say the Bronze? combustion heater can use RF.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell

Falcon2001 posted:

Yeah, best bet is to beeline for TiC smeltery & make yourself an autosmelting lumberaxe then go to town on some 2x2 spruces.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Well poo poo. Got myself a Rock Cleaner finally, pushed a bunch of crushed stone through it, and was lucky enough to get an osmium dust. Which I then turned into 15 osmium ore. And now I never need to make another TechReborn circuit/advanced circuit again. :thumbsup:

(The 'standard' way of getting osmium involves empowered enori crystals. But you'll probably never end up doing this due to getting diamonds/emeralds/certus/etc from crushing stone.)

Black Pants fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Sep 14, 2017

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Dave Tate's downsy face approves.
Is there a remotely comprehensive wiki or info repository of some kind for the non stock Tinkers modifiers? The amount of stuff getting added to it by other mods is completely nuts at this point, but the best answer I can find seems to be, "try it and see."

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Toadsmash posted:

Is there a remotely comprehensive wiki or info repository of some kind for the non stock Tinkers modifiers? The amount of stuff getting added to it by other mods is completely nuts at this point, but the best answer I can find seems to be, "try it and see."

The Materials and You in-game book.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
My pile of crap scripts has taken me down to 87 missing remaps in my BFSR quest book. To put it into perspective, it apparently successfully remapped 1733 things. I'm still coming to terms with that number. With 373 quests, it's possible there are really that many random objects floating around in the quest book. But God drat.

If I can then migrate the level NBT data for the tutorial dimension, I'll start figuring out how to share this crap.

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Black Pants posted:

The Materials and You in-game book.

:doh:

Unrelated: in the current game version, at least, the guide lies about being able to start Evilcraft by making blood via smeltery swimming. You can use that method later on after you have some of the basic machines, but TiCon blood doesn't actually oredic with Evilcraft blood. Blood extractor all the way. Don't waste a half hour finding that out the hard way like I did when you get to that point in your progression.

Funny thing is that's actually a configuration option for the mod, so may just be a simple error on the pack author's part.

Toadsmash fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Sep 14, 2017

Datasmurf
Jan 19, 2009

Carpe Noctem

Shukaro posted:

1.12 questing mod

1.12 Artifice. Go go go! I want those pavers and the blast-resistant glass.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Unrelated, but thanks to whoever noticed how cheap Yellorium is.

gently caress you canola and gently caress you forestry multifarms

i'm actually throttling this monster down to 71% fuel rod insertion due to my crappy capacitors and fluxducts :v:
Build it taller and throttle it down more than that. You'll get like 200k rf/t at one ingot per hour or something dumb if you build it an optimal layout even with cheap materials.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Khorne posted:

Build it taller and throttle it down more than that. You'll get like 200k rf/t at one ingot per hour or something dumb if you build it an optimal layout even with cheap materials.

I'm already at 500% irradiation or w/e -- is it possible to get more than that?

Most of the space in that reactor is for coolant. It only has 21 fuel rods inside, and that's enough reactor to sustain three turbines when I get enough cyanite to build them.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Toadsmash posted:

:doh:

Unrelated: in the current game version, at least, the guide lies about being able to start Evilcraft by making blood via smeltery swimming. You can use that method later on after you have some of the basic machines, but TiCon blood doesn't actually oredic with Evilcraft blood. Blood extractor all the way. Don't waste a half hour finding that out the hard way like I did when you get to that point in your progression.

Funny thing is that's actually a configuration option for the mod, so may just be a simple error on the pack author's part.

Interestingly enough though, you can use an Evilcraft infuser to duplicate TiCon coagulated blood. Used that to make all my sticky pistons & crafted some into slime blocks to turn into magma cream.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Crafting a slimy sapling is also pretty easy, for infinite slime.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Khorne posted:

Pretty sure if you build a reactor taller it's the same efficiency as if it were shorter. It just lets you put more yellorium in and burn it faster.

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

I thought the relation between power output and fuel consumption for a given fuel rod insertion level was perfectly linear, i.e. no efficiency change from different insertion levels. Did that change?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Playing with my design in the big reactor simulator it looks like that adjusting the fuel rod insertion does affect irradiation. I don't know exactly how it all works; I've been using this same design for years.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

I've never really to bothered fine tune big/extreme reactor builds since the only thing you are doing is squeezing 10% more power out of something that already gives you 500% more power than you need.

Especially in skyblocks where resources are infinite, I just make a reactor that is big enough and looks nice. If I need more power I'll just build a second one.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

I'm honestly surprised that the big reactors are so cheap. I expect them to get nerfed after the next direwolf pubname stream.

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

It depends how far you go in this pack. If you go the completionist's route for the creative stuff, I could easily see needing millions of RF generation for the larger scale factory setups.

Protip: if you want to make power vaguely interesting, just stay away from Extreme Reactors. This pack has Mekanism generators AND Immersive Engineering + addons for crazy complicated late game power. Go the fun route!

Also Draconic Evolution if you want a bank of magnetically shielded miniature suns to power your giant singularity farms.

Toadsmash fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Sep 14, 2017

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

If they didn't change Mekanism's fusion generator since 1.7 I'm definately building one of those once I start needing more than the 30k rf/t my extreme reactor puts out.

It always seemed to me that the turbines were a waste. You need so much blutonium/yellorium to build one that you could easily build 2 or 3 more reactors & fuel them instead. Plus the oddly small limits on the input/output meant that you needed multiple turbines to take full advantage of the medium or larger size reactor you originally built and are now converting.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Turbines are all about fuel efficiency. With the yellorium that a passive reactor burns through, you can generate orders of magnitude more power by heating water into steam and running it through a turbine.

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

It's nice to have something resembling a proper heat engine setup instead of a reactor that automagically produces electricity seemingly out of thin air.

I want an "actively cooled" option for the Draconic Reactor, too, dammit.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Okay, to turn this around for a second:

Shukaro posted:

1.12 questing mod

What dis?

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Turbines are all about fuel efficiency. With the yellorium that a passive reactor burns through, you can generate orders of magnitude more power by heating water into steam and running it through a turbine.

Yeah, but it takes multiple stacks of yellorium to build, though, so you'd have to run it for dozens of hours to recoup the build cost.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Nevets posted:

Yeah, but it takes multiple stacks of yellorium to build, though, so you'd have to run it for dozens of hours to recoup the build cost.

Huh? Turbines take cyanite, not yellorium.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Toadsmash posted:

I want an "actively cooled" option for the Draconic Reactor, too, dammit.

Is there a resource on how to build these things and not gently caress them up? I've sorta wanted to build one, but I never found a guide that was like "hey you retard do X, Y, and Z and it won't nuke your base IRL."

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Huh? Turbines take cyanite, not yellorium.

I've never come close to having enough cyanite through regular reactor fuel burnup to be able to build a turbine. Always had to either design a reactor that was intentionally inefficient or use the yellorium+sand recipe to make more cyanite.

Plus cyanite can be reprocessed into blutonium so it's effectively worth 1/2 yellorium.

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Is there a resource on how to build these things and not gently caress them up? I've sorta wanted to build one, but I never found a guide that was like "hey you retard do X, Y, and Z and it won't nuke your base IRL."

There's a couple Youtube videos, but even the author's own tutorial has you making a critical error that I would never advise a new player to do. Lemme take another stab at effortposting this. I'm not going to bother explaining the bare basic construction, just the principles of how you need to control it.

The main principle that everything else about the reactor spirals out from: the containment field can accept an infinite amount of power, and the reactor can have an infinite amount of power extracted from it.

So, going out from there, your reactor input (the RF being put back into the reactor to power the containment field) and the output (what's actually being extracted from the reactor as usable power) have to be rate limited. That's what the flux gates are for. Without a limiter on the input, the reactor will dry up whatever RF storage it's connected to in seconds, the field will then no longer have the RF to power it, and will explode. If the output isn't limited, the reactor will try to produce more and more power till it crosses the 8k temperature threshold, the amount of power needed to sustain the containment field will spiral out of control with said temperature, and your reactor will explode.

That being said, the containment field strength does not matter as long as it doesn't hit 0. If you follow the Youtube guides, they'll end up with you maintaining about 50% field strength, which is overkill and pointless. The reactor is completely predictable -- if you increase the amount of power you take out of it (typically by raising the limit on your output flux gate), the temperature will rise, and in theory at least, the power needed to sustain the containment field will also rise. In practice, the required field input rate won't really change appreciably until you cross 8000C, which the GUI warns you about. Then the field input requirement goes up exponentially. When I'm turning one of these on for the first time, I usually set the field input flux gate to 500k and the output to 0 to be absolutely as safe as possible and worry about fine tuning it later. You can get OC scripts that will manage this for you, but if you take the time to figure out the principles involved, you can do it yourself and you're a lot less likely to blow up your base.

The containment field always has to be powered, even during the shutdown process. If the strength ever drops to 0, while the temperature is above 2000C, the reactor will explode. But when you hit the shutdown button, the reactor instantly stops producing power. So you do NOT want to leech your containment field input off the reactor output directly, as that means the containment field will die as soon as you try to shut the reactor down for any reason. This is the crucial mistake the Youtube videos make. When I last set it up, I hooked the field input directly to the Energy Core where all my power was being stored -- yes, including the reactor output, with the crucial difference that the containment field has the entire buffer still sitting in that core to feed it while the reactor is shutting down.

So that's the practical limit on how much net power you actually get out of one of these -- the temperature. You pull more power out of the reactor, the energy saturation lowers, the temperature rises, and the amount of power the containment field needs to maintain itself goes up. Higher temperature also means that the reactor will burn fuel faster, which is good. As more of the reactor fuel gets converted to chaos, the fuel conversion gauge will rise (slowly) and the reactor doesn't have to work as hard to produce the same amount of power. In steady state (meaning the reactor has caught up to what your flux gate is pulling out of it, so the temperature won't rise anymore as long as you don't change anything), the temperature will slowly drop as the fuel conversion rises, so the rate the fuel burns also drops. If the temperature drops, that means you can pull more power out of the reactor without making it blow up. Higher fuel conversion also reduces the containment input requirement, so you can cut the field input further to get still more net power gain out of it. Higher fuel conversion = higher energy saturation = lower temperature = less fuel burned/better fuel efficiency = less needed field input rate.

mechaet
Jan 4, 2013

Insufferable measure of firewood

Toadsmash posted:

<snip effortpost>

Okay, I think I get all of that. Trick is to balance power usage and field strength in order to keep heat below 8000 so things don't go kaboom.

Thanks for explaining that.

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Okay, to turn this around for a second:

What dis?

not poo poo hqm

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Shukaro posted:

not poo poo hqm

:allears:

...yes?

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil

mechaet posted:

Okay, I think I get all of that. Trick is to balance power usage and field strength in order to keep heat below 8000 so things don't go kaboom.

Thanks for explaining that.

Direwolf20 did a really good set of videos on the draconic reactor in his last Let's Play series. It's a bit long but he goes into a lot of detail and explains the relationship really well.

https://youtu.be/Fq1y0JRPU3A
https://youtu.be/-BM9F3Bz-9w
https://youtu.be/yc2Y09kUd6c
https://youtu.be/jG_9zX4WVJU

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Playing with my design in the big reactor simulator it looks like that adjusting the fuel rod insertion does affect irradiation. I don't know exactly how it all works; I've been using this same design for years.

I've been doing some testing with this simulator and the most power-efficient design (RF/mB or mB/mB) I can find is a single block width outer layer of gelid cryotheum with the entire centre is filled with fuel rods. It doesn't seem to matter what size the reactor is, the RF/mB or mB/mB efficiency is always better than any other design I've tested. The only downside is it would chew through yellorium, especially at larger sizes, although a 5 x 5 x 5 (internal) reactor is big enough to produce over 8,000mB of steam.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug
I'm torn on MSB2.

On one hand, I can appreciate taking a wide path from point A to point B. On the other hand, the in-game guide is pretty hilariously gappy at times. You start Phase 2 and then the guide ends with 'you'll end up at glowstone!'...but it's a good solid day or so of playing to get there since it's such a tech push. The fact that there needs to be an FTB guide in addition to the provided guide seems...ill-planned. On top of that, some parts of it just don't show up well - to get treated planks you need to make a clay bucket, but the recipe is specific to iron bucket in JEI's picture recipe.

I don't mind the whole 'use a bunch of mods to get here' thing, but I think that's somewhere that HQM would have done a much better job showing the progression. On the other hand Sky Resources 2 is basically great and is much better than Ex Nihilo in my opinion - any system that lets you get more efficient over time with resources is pretty great in my book. Dunno if it's setup that way just for the pack or not, but it's great to have the jumps when you go up an Alchemical Dust tier. Having multiple starting islands is also a nice touch.

Ultimately it's certainly a neat take on the genre and Sky Resources is great.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Falcon2001 posted:

I'm torn on MSB2.

On one hand, I can appreciate taking a wide path from point A to point B. On the other hand, the in-game guide is pretty hilariously gappy at times. You start Phase 2 and then the guide ends with 'you'll end up at glowstone!'...but it's a good solid day or so of playing to get there since it's such a tech push. The fact that there needs to be an FTB guide in addition to the provided guide seems...ill-planned. On top of that, some parts of it just don't show up well - to get treated planks you need to make a clay bucket, but the recipe is specific to iron bucket in JEI's picture recipe.

I don't mind the whole 'use a bunch of mods to get here' thing, but I think that's somewhere that HQM would have done a much better job showing the progression. On the other hand Sky Resources 2 is basically great and is much better than Ex Nihilo in my opinion - any system that lets you get more efficient over time with resources is pretty great in my book. Dunno if it's setup that way just for the pack or not, but it's great to have the jumps when you go up an Alchemical Dust tier. Having multiple starting islands is also a nice touch.

Ultimately it's certainly a neat take on the genre and Sky Resources is great.

The guide from pressing G is specifically a guide to the Sky Resources 2 mod, basically an in-game manual with its own UI. Not a guide to progression in the pack. That's what the FTB guide is.

Also you can use any sort of fluid container for treated wood. Such as Mekanism tanks.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Posted this originally in the PGS thread of my server but it has a better place here I think:

Minecraft colonies mod:
Found a potential island, started doing minor landfilling/terraforming. Being able to just plop down a ship to hide in during the night is loving ace. I did kinda feel obligated to move into SP to actually test Minecolonies. There is SOME documentation and videos that I could find but I couldn't find a nice comprehensive source, and my first attempt to start building sort of worked but everything feels really slow. I understand there's a need to build things up and make my workers better over time, but the initial limitation of "I refuse to use anything better than wooden/golden tools" is just weird. I have iron shovels. Accept them! And even if they can only use wooden shovels, still their dig speed is abysmal(yet placing blocks in SP seems to be really speedy regardless of their stats). And for a builder he is awfully stupid. He has a craft bench, he should be able to take the glass I give it and turn it into panes him/herself. Perhaps that is what INT is for.

I keep reading about immigrants with random stats but mine all have 1's, and I don't seem to get any with something better.

Basically I think I may have started slightly wrong. It may be better to set up a temporary hobo tech hut with stuff from the other mods and return with more materials and faster digging tools to assist the silly workers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

I'm starting to think they're gaslighting you. Oh yeah, there's a new quest mod and it's super great, and I don't have the link right now but you should check it out!

Goon Danton fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Sep 15, 2017