Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/StarCitizenAA/status/908710353525145602

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

ManofManyAliases posted:

I can wait a max of 90 days before I shift the goalposts again.

I saw another commercial for your belt, I was tempted when they said if I act now I can get two for 19.99 plus shipping and handling.

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

big nipples big life posted:

I saw another commercial for your belt, I was tempted when they said if I act now I can get two for 19.99 plus shipping and handling.

It's a great deal. You can get one in brown and black.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Even more :laffo:

But I was under the impression those were PMs.

Oh no, sorry. People don't feel the need to poo poo on me in PMs in /r/dereksmart. They want the world to see that they owned an anonymous internet man for whatever reason. Fandred especially seems to think I'm important for some reason:

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

eXXon posted:

Before I go check the Reddit I'm going to predict that Star Citizen white knights are talking up how positive the sharp drop in blockers is. Then if anyone points out that it's due to reduced scope, they'll call them hypocrites for complaining about scope creep in the first place.

Ok I checked now and my prediction was wrong. Even though many people pointed out that most of the blockers were taken off the list rather than actual being fixed, shitizens unanimously agreed that this was a positive step and something that CIG should have done from the beginning.

Man I wish I could have the benefit of the doubt no matter what I do.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

TheAgent posted:

hearthstone, d2, overwatch, whatever, they all look like sane purchases compared to that poo poo

nah

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
like seriously, play f2p games, many of them are good, but buying a loving virtual lottery ticket with real cash? talk about a star citizen microcosm lmao

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Beet Wagon posted:

Oh no, sorry. People don't feel the need to poo poo on me in PMs in /r/dereksmart. They want the world to see that they owned an anonymous internet man for whatever reason. Fandred especially seems to think I'm important for some reason:

aliensbutwiththewordcrossedoutandreplacedbyNorthKoreans.jpg

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Truga posted:

like seriously, play f2p games, many of them are good, but buying a loving virtual lottery ticket with real cash? talk about a star citizen microcosm lmao

Yeah gently caress Magic The Gathering!

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
No wait I mean who gives a poo poo its disposable cash and if you don't want to play Overwatch with me and team it up with the best Reinhardt in NA then whatever go play minesweeper or War Thunder.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

I just burned my left index finger on a soldering iron.

It loving hurts.

OK, thread may continue now.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/BoredGamerUK/status/908705559972581377

I can't link to a time but he discusses fake refunds, if you rewind a bit.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:

Jobbo_Fett posted:

No wait I mean who gives a poo poo its disposable cash and if you don't want to play Overwatch with me and team it up with the best Reinhardt in NA then whatever go play minesweeper or War Thunder.

I want to play Overwatch with you some time. Add me as a friend. MisterTophat (2622). Always happy to heal a goon in need.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
The worst thing about lootboxes is, it's exploiting people that are easily addicted to gambling, but it's not regulated because everyone's still pretending it's not actually gambling because...

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

I enjoy lootboxes because I don't have to tell gambler's anonymous about it.

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

Xaerael posted:

It loving hurts.

Leave that under cold water for the next half hour instead of posting.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

(I'm not actually addicted to gambling)

The saddest form of gambling are folks who buy twenty plus scratchcards all in one go. The UK has a hosed mentality when it comes to gambling.

The best form of gambling is playing poker with your friends. £5-10 to get your chips, no buy ins.

The most terrible form of gambling is playing roulette with your friends. Never loving do this. Ever. EVER. You will lose your friends and or money in a single game.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Loot boxes are ok when they are free, it's really no differnt than opening a chest in Diablo, on the other hand you have games like Fortnite that actually lock all forms of progression into gambling boxes that cost actual money. That game is scummier than CIG.

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

Truga posted:

The worst thing about lootboxes is, it's exploiting people that are easily addicted to gambling, but it's not regulated because everyone's still pretending it's not actually gambling because...

I hope the West will soon enact similar law than China and force lootbox drop% and complete content to be public.

Cant imagine sales will stay high once people realize they have the same %chance of being hit by a meteor while under attack from a shark than drop that ultra rare golden skin for 2$.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Loot boxes are ok when they are free, it's really no differnt than opening a chest in Diablo, on the other hand you have games like Fortnite that actually lock all forms of progression into gambling boxes that cost actual money. That game is scummier than CIG.

What about Joker Mystery Boxes

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Daztek posted:

What about Joker Mystery Boxes

You mean Misery Boxes.

e: They are bad but not as bad as Fortnite, most of the Legendary guns were garbage except for the duck and nano and you could get those off the AH, that's where I got all my legs in APB.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Remember when those youtubers started pushing CSGO item gambling sites, because opening the crates wasn't enough gambling?

aleksendr posted:

I hope the West will soon enact similar law than China and force lootbox drop% and complete content to be public.

Cant imagine sales will stay high once people realize they have the same %chance of being hit by a meteor while under attack from a shark than drop that ultra rare golden skin for 2$.

So you're saying there's a chance?

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
you earn loot boxes in both overwatch and destiny 2 just for playing

its not as fun as sitting there, buying and then opening 50+ of them at a time and going HOLY poo poo LOOK AT ALL THIS loving AWESOME poo poo

but hey, its still free

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Xaerael posted:

IDG why people are buying into Destiny 2 when there's a better alternative that's free.

I got a free copy with my graphics card :colbert:

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

BMan posted:

Remember when those youtubers started pushing CSGO item gambling sites, because opening the crates wasn't enough gambling?

So you're saying there's a chance?

0.00000000000000125% of getting to roll on the "ultra rare" table, after that its 0.000000000000265% on the second roll.

Those you have seen in the wild are promo/internal shills accounts released to make you want it.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

aleksendr posted:

I don't think you understand whale development :v:

BloodyScab
Sep 12, 2017

by Smythe
Destiny 2 is good because I enjoy watching numbers go up and down, get loot to make my number go up, and then do the same but harder content with the higher numbers.

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

Fandred1 is also a treasure, even if its a extremely creepy one. And he made you his personal Derek Smart, aren't you proud Beet?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Truga posted:

Pretty sure Overwatch/Blizzard got poo poo on by China and they had to disclose the odds of winning.

Yeah its still pretty scummy if it enables people but lets not pretend this is some devil that has only recently manifested. poo poo like Candy Crush has been around for a while, not to mention games that implemented lootboxes ages ago.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Mr.Tophat posted:

I want to play Overwatch with you some time. Add me as a friend. MisterTophat (2622). Always happy to heal a goon in need.

I thought I did, though? I'm sorry if that wasn't the case :(

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Joe Blobber needs a unitard (emphasis on tard) and cape with the star citizen logo on them to wear while he posts.

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

Yo! The Mafia supports you. But don't tell no one. Spread the word.

Xaerael posted:

It loving hurts.

Citizenship must be burned.

Mr Fronts fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Sep 15, 2017

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Pretty sure Overwatch/Blizzard got poo poo on by China and they had to disclose the odds of winning.

Yeah its still pretty scummy if it enables people but lets not pretend this is some devil that has only recently manifested. poo poo like Candy Crush has been around for a while, not to mention games that implemented lootboxes ages ago.
CCGs have been doing that poo poo for forever

before that, welcome to the loving world of baseball cards (which I was into for a bit)

you want to talk about loot crates in games, that poo poo ain't got nothing on topps or upper deck lol

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Joe Blobber needs a unitard (emphasis on tard) and cape with the star citizen logo on them to wear while he posts.

I've looked at the definition of unitard and it seems that the welsh had a very rare use of the word that states "A bib inscribed with the blood of his enemies, and Derek Smart"

It seems that it was only used during the 13th century, and barely half of that, when bibs fell out of fashion for a time.

I choose to use this definition of the word because the other, more popular, versions don't conform to my way of thinking.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

TheAgent posted:

CCGs have been doing that poo poo for forever

before that, welcome to the loving world of baseball cards (which I was into for a bit)

you want to talk about loot crates in games, that poo poo ain't got nothing on topps or upper deck lol

I used to collect hockey cards as a kid. McDonalds was a gateway drug, but not for obesity...

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

TheAgent posted:

they sometimes have single digit viewership, yes

Jobbo_Fett posted:

It would be like streaming Bad Rats. Sure, you'll get a few viewers who love how lovely the game is, and you'll get the morbidly curious, but there's no viewer retention unless you're entertaining, and those fuckknobs aren't.

aleksendr posted:

Sucessfull Twitch channel is 75% good hosting/nice voice/charisma and 25% recent and/or interesting game.

Okay, thank you for the answers- so, follow-up question. What is the motivation for any of these people to stream the game more than one or two nights? It's miserable, breaks all the time, and you aren't going to make any money doing it. It's not like hobbyist gamer youtube where people like Chip make video LP's for free because they enjoy a game and want to share it with their fans. Anybody who enjoys SC as it is right now is either lying, or hosed in the head, and the one hour of gameplay that exists has been shared hundreds of times over by now.

It just seems like a lot of effort for literally pennies per hour. Why would anyone do it?

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

gh0u1 posted:

Smell that? You smell that? Napalm, son. Nothing else in the world smells like that. I love the smell of Napalm in the morning. You know, one time we had a hill bombed, for 12 hours. When it was all over, I walked up. We didn't find one of 'em, not one stinkin' goon shitpost. The smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole hill. Smelled like... victory. Someday this war's gonna end.

watching them crow over the /refunds sub getting publicized and receiving a spike in subscribers and refund posts is really funny to me for some reason :pgabz:

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Sarsapariller posted:

Okay, thank you for the answers- so, follow-up question. What is the motivation for any of these people to stream the game more than one or two nights? It's miserable, breaks all the time, and you aren't going to make any money doing it. It's not like hobbyist gamer youtube where people like Chip make video LP's for free because they enjoy a game and want to share it with their fans.

It just seems like a lot of effort for literally pennies per hour. Why would anyone do it?
They're hoping to be one of the OG crew for a game that's going to take off and have -- according to Chris Roberts himself -- a 10 or 20 million player fanbase.

So when Star Citizen finally releases, they'll be the ones already structured to bring in the most viewers, which strangely coincides with making the most money.

Much like everything else related to Star Citizen, it's about the potential to be great and the potential to make a shitload of money.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

super_metroid_chozo_walkcycle.gif

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Beet Wagon posted:

watching them crow over the /refunds sub getting publicized and receiving a spike in subscribers and refund posts is really funny to me for some reason :pgabz:
this wasn't even a goon who did the 45k thing, so I'm not quite sure wtf they are celebrating