Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

TheAgent posted:

this wasn't even a goon who did the 45k thing, so I'm not quite sure wtf they are celebrating

everyone who doesn't suck croberts dick 24/7 is a goon and likely derek smart

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Sarsapariller posted:

Okay, thank you for the answers- so, follow-up question. What is the motivation for any of these people to stream the game more than one or two nights? It's miserable, breaks all the time, and you aren't going to make any money doing it. It's not like hobbyist gamer youtube where people like Chip make video LP's for free because they enjoy a game and want to share it with their fans. Anybody who enjoys SC as it is right now is either lying, or hosed in the head, and the one hour of gameplay that exists has been shared hundreds of times over by now.

It just seems like a lot of effort for literally pennies per hour. Why would anyone do it?

For any more than a few days?

Masochism
Nothing else to play
Desperate for views/attention
Hardcore Shill

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

TheAgent posted:

this wasn't even a goon who did the 45k thing, so I'm not quite sure wtf they are celebrating

:reddit: right now

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

I'm two hours into Metroid: Samus returns. I do not want a refund. In fact, bad games are loving stupid. Buy good games, even if you have to look at tiny screens.

Also: Tophat, where did you get stuck? Was it on Unauthorized Personnel? I got stuck there couple of days ago hunting for that one stupid vent I missed. Whoever designed the loving office levels of Fear should have talked to the guys that designed the other levels....

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Sarsapariller posted:

Okay, thank you for the answers- so, follow-up question. What is the motivation for any of these people to stream the game more than one or two nights? It's miserable, breaks all the time, and you aren't going to make any money doing it. It's not like hobbyist gamer youtube where people like Chip make video LP's for free because they enjoy a game and want to share it with their fans. Anybody who enjoys SC as it is right now is either lying, or hosed in the head, and the one hour of gameplay that exists has been shared hundreds of times over by now.

It just seems like a lot of effort for literally pennies per hour. Why would anyone do it?

If you stream a game you might get "appreciation" from the devs. The fewer people streaming, the less competition; and you never know if Chris Roberts Himself might trip across your stream and give you thousands of dollars worth of free jpgs for doing his marketing for him.

Also, most streamers will stream for their audience, so if your audience is "obsessive star citizen fans" then it kind of self-perpetuates for as long as possible because if you switch games then you might lose a lot of your subscribers and have to recreate your viewer base from scratch.

It does make me wonder how many of these streamers bought into the "you'll never need another game again" koolaid though

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Beet Wagon posted:

watching them crow over the /refunds sub getting publicized and receiving a spike in subscribers and refund posts is really funny to me for some reason :pgabz:

I know it's tricky to spot but to him that's him owning you, it can be hard to tell because of how poo poo they are at it

Toblakai
Jul 11, 2017

Bofast posted:

I've never seen many issues at all happen in Gamebryo games outside of what Bethesda has done with their modified version of the engine, which I would attribute more to them than anything. Are there other Gamebryo games that act weird?

I must admit that I thought that Gamebryo was made by Bethesda. But I meant only Bethesda games with my previous post.

Tippis posted:

aleksendr explains the twisting pretty well. T-poses tend to be a sign of missing or confused animation states, or perhaps more commonly missing transitions between states. For double bonus points, it may be a direct consequence or component of the aforementioned stretching problem.

The animation procedure is asked to run animation XYZ on model ABC and the game goes “uh… no idea what XYZ is, I'll just soft-fail and run the default (t-pose) instead.” or, to transition from pose #132 to pose #4 and say the same thing because you've asked for something silly or something that doesn't exist. Or — the bonus variant — it'll say “ehm… animation XYZ is intended for Ship Objects. I'm a Character Object, you idiot. So poo to you with knobs on, I'm showing the default t-pose instead.” It's a particularly likely scenario if they've introduced a type checking in an attempt to get the spaghettification under control but haven't quite gotten around to fixing the issue of confusing one character object for another.

The fact that a consistent theme with the player object is that it seems to often get confused about exactly what kind of (and which) object it is also goes a long way to explain why it has such a strong tendency to get confused about what animations to run.

He posted his answer shortly after I posted my question. What was confusing me was the fact, that after some character glitched out to the t-pose, usually he stayed that way. I can see how some animation error can occur, but I thought that as soon the character initiates some activity, which has a correct animation, the said animation is going to be started and the problem is going to solve itself. But point #5 of aleksendr's post explains everything.

Toops posted:

What's an ELE and why has nobody even mentioned this before now?

I think that depending on how hard are you being called on your bullshit, it's either imminent or in two weeks or decades long event. But basically is sucking your own dick.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

:thurman:

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

I shall be enjoying this with a large glass or five of Jamesons followed by a neck rub and a lobotomy.

Toblakai
Jul 11, 2017

Is this James Hetfield in the lower left? Also, I know I'm being nitpicky, but I think I need to send an urgent humanitarian aid package to LA in the form of some loving combs.
P.S. Seriously, this guy has always such a smug expression, that I want to hit him in the face.

Toblakai fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Sep 15, 2017

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

TheAgent posted:

They're hoping to be one of the OG crew for a game that's going to take off and have -- according to Chris Roberts himself -- a 10 or 20 million player fanbase.

So when Star Citizen finally releases, they'll be the ones already structured to bring in the most viewers, which strangely coincides with making the most money.

Much like everything else related to Star Citizen, it's about the potential to be great and the potential to make a shitload of money.

The best thing about that is, that even if SC came out and was a gigantic hit, Sodapoppin or whatever bigshot there is would just stream and siphon all the viewers away from the OG crew. It doesn't matter how early you are, you have to offer a bit more than just 'I was here first' for the unwashed twitch masses to flock to you.

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.
A friend does marketing stuff which involves social media metrics and all sorts of other things which are a blot on humanity. He did, however, point out that that there is absolutely no chance that SC has 1.8 million backers based on its 110k following on facebook and the initial 35k on kickstarter.

Obviously we know this, but if you go round a whole bunch of other computer games/computer game companies, you'll find a nice range of the facebook followers being with 30-50% of the actual subscribers.

SC's is 6%. Somehow unlike every other game out there, only 6% of the people who have pre-ordered the game have bothered to subscribe on facebook.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

tuo posted:

I'm two hours into Metroid: Samus returns. I do not want a refund. In fact, bad games are loving stupid. Buy good games, even if you have to look at tiny screens.

As I type this, I just started up the game and have nerd chills because it's the fuckin' metroid theme. :hellyeah:

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!

Mne nravitsya posted:

I am so confused as to what to believe anymore. This Subforum and the Reddit Star Citizen forums are like Bigfoot and the Loch Ness Monster arguing over which one of them faked the moon landing.

Bigfoot confirmed:

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

peter gabriel posted:

I know it's tricky to spot but to him that's him owning you, it can be hard to tell because of how poo poo they are at it

:negative: I had no idea! Why couldn't you just let me live in blissful ignorance? WHY MUST YOUR RAGE DESTROY EVERYTHING THAT IS GOOD AND BEAUTIFUL :argh:

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

:jerkbag://

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

What's your regular recipe?
I've never written it down--which I realized I should do after making the Chili for the Chili Gods. It is tomato based with cheap beef and pork and no beans. I'm not even sure what the name of the cuts are--I just know what they look like when I'm looking at the meats. :) But will make a pot or two in the coming weekends and be sure to share. (Still too warm in the Carolinas for chili...)

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

Beet Wagon posted:

I've been seriously eyeing Destiny 2 as a nice middleground between the dumb shootmans I play and the small part of me that wants to sink deep into the loving arms of WoW again. That might settle it tbh.

yeah i'm looking forward to a video game to poopsock with my friends that isn't a life ruining monster

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Speaking of chili stuff, Beer might have already posted this but there's currently a chili cook-off going on over in GWS. If your chili is the BDCSE, consider entering to win some kind of nonsense!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3833926

Dooguk
Oct 11, 2016

Pillbug

PST posted:

A friend does marketing stuff which involves social media metrics and all sorts of other things which are a blot on humanity. He did, however, point out that that there is absolutely no chance that SC has 1.8 million backers based on its 110k following on facebook and the initial 35k on kickstarter.

Obviously we know this, but if you go round a whole bunch of other computer games/computer game companies, you'll find a nice range of the facebook followers being with 30-50% of the actual subscribers.

SC's is 6%. Somehow unlike every other game out there, only 6% of the people who have pre-ordered the game have bothered to subscribe on facebook.

There aren't 1.8 million backers. That is the number of registered accounts.

They gave thousands of free ones away with AMD graphics cards for example.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

TheAgent posted:

no amount of wine is making today any better :(

:glomp:

Sounds like you went and discovered poo poo people.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Raskolnikov posted:

I'd argue most of the faith militant SC fanboys have always been a bit poo poo.

I'd empty quote this but I'll just add in that I agree. :)

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

HycoCam posted:

I've never written it down--which I realized I should do after making the Chili for the Chili Gods. It is tomato based with cheap beef and pork and no beans. I'm not even sure what the name of the cuts are--I just know what they look like when I'm looking at the meats. :) But will make a pot or two in the coming weekends and be sure to share. (Still too warm in the Carolinas for chili...)

Please do!

Beet Wagon posted:

Speaking of chili stuff, Beer might have already posted this but there's currently a chili cook-off going on over in GWS. If your chili is the BDCSE, consider entering to win some kind of nonsense!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3833926

We just made some chili this week, but I'm tempted to make some more just to throw down.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

TheAgent posted:

CCGs have been doing that poo poo for forever

before that, welcome to the loving world of baseball cards (which I was into for a bit)

you want to talk about loot crates in games, that poo poo ain't got nothing on topps or upper deck lol

I liked the card series where you had a 1 in 80 million shot of getting a scrap of paper signed by George Washington.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Wow, Erin looks like poo poo. This project must be killing him. :(

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
lol at bettysbigtits being on sc_refunds now

glorious

glorious

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Dooguk posted:

There aren't 1.8 million backers. That is the number of registered accounts.

They gave thousands of free ones away with AMD graphics cards for example.

Those AMD cards will sure be useful when SC is finally released

reverend crabhands
Feb 3, 2016

Dude sounds like he's on the verge of a heart attack.

He seems like he would be a joy to work for.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Boggles my mind they just started focusing on actually flying through the universe.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhywXu8vsuM&t=594s

"A more focused polish of traversal."

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

Sarsapariller posted:

There are many valid suspicion than SC twitch presence is Astroturfed. Its probable a high % of SC twitch streamers receive subsidies in one form or another from GIC PR an internet reputation management firm, thus ensuring a twitch presence no matter how unsuited the game is for audiences.

As for who would do it ? Well, pennies on the dollar is better than no penies at all, If your not a girl in a low cut top you have to start somewhere if you hope to be a famous twitch host someday. PR agency can always find a few hopefull spergs willing to work for a few free ships or maybe the possibility of a CIG studio tour.

aleksendr fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Sep 15, 2017

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Quote the poo poo out of that if you want.

BloodyScab
Sep 12, 2017

by Smythe
https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/70b1zi/i_dont_understand_the_negativity_even_if_i_knew/

the citizenry is strong

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Hey all, Star Citizen is bad and all, but i grew some jalapeños this year. Are there some good chili recipes here? I looked into goons with spoons, but it had no spaceships, so.....

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

aleksendr posted:

As for who would do it ? Well, pennies on the dollar is better than no penies at all, If your not a girl in a low cut top you have to start somewhere if you hope to be a famous twitch host someday. PR agency can always find a few hopefull spergs willing to work for a few free ships or maybe the possibility of a CIG studio tour.

I guess the disconnect for me is that somewhere would be a game that actually, y'know, exists. It seems like the defining feature of a twitch game should probably be that it is watchable- like not even a PUBG or Destiny 2- just some game that is even slightly fun to watch.

If this were day one of my twitch career, god forbid, I'd try to find a niche like maybe playing through every awful visual novel game with fun MST3K riffing commentary or something. I'm trying to get into the headspace where someone would go "Yes, the game with one level and a bunch of boring murky steel corridors and it crashes every 15 minutes and everything is P2W and there is literally nothing to do. That's the thing I'm going to ride to glory."

I watched all 24 hours of the Gextra life stream last year. The games were poo poo, but they gave enough variety that Chip and crew could be charming and fun while suffering through them. But if it had been Star Citizen? What is there to play off of?

Sarsapariller fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Sep 15, 2017

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

quote:

Each day CIG raises the bar for computer games as a whole

Exactly loving how? Every single Star Citizen feature, actual or promised, has been done by other games, earlier, better, and for millions of dollars less. Sure, none of these games have put all of Star Citizen's features together in one game, but neither has Star Citizen

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

It's not a blocker if we choose to ignore it...

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Foo Diddley posted:

Exactly loving how? Every single Star Citizen feature, actual or promised, has been done by other games, earlier, better, and for millions of dollars less. Sure, none of these games have put all of Star Citizen's features together in one game, but neither has Star Citizen

Um, traversal?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

runsamok
Jan 12, 2011

Seriously, Skywanderers is already a better Star Citizen than Star Citizen & it's the product of a single Frenchman working for a single year, not 400 resume-padders masturbating in Maya & Cryengine around the clock & across the world.

(I love how the "buy a ship" tiers on the Skywanderers KS are for the backers to make ships for the game-maker, not the other way around.)