Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
whoever the yellow guy is, you should be really careful with full load orders :newlol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mynameisbatman
Oct 3, 2008

Coolguye posted:

whoever the yellow guy is, you should be really careful with full load orders :newlol:

Hell I'm not yellow my company is white but I'm really intrigued as to what you're saying because I only do full load orders?

Should I not be doing them?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

mynameisbatman posted:

Hell I'm not yellow my company is white but I'm really intrigued as to what you're saying because I only do full load orders?

Should I not be doing them?

Depends on the situation. One of the less-documented but quite important things is the concept of cargo 'rotting'. Basically the longer you take to transport a specific unit of good, the less it's worth. Durable things like coal, iron, gold, have very slow rotting, while things like food and passengers are very high. If you have a durable cargo and you're not getting much out of your source, a full load order can make a ton of sense. But that's not what I'm giggling about.

As a response to my wood-lift earlier, the yellow player (I'm not sure who he is) deployed a single locomotive on one of my feeder roads to scrap all of my road vehicles:

This is the shot from after I fixed it, by making a bridge over the offending railway.

Figuring turnabout was fair play, I looked around on his setup and found...something.

He has a setup here where he brings in grain, livestock, and wood to this station and trucks out food and paper. After analyzing the trains involved, I noticed that if there was a specific setup of trains that were on the tracks at once, the entire thing would grind to a halt due to the full load in their orders. Basically, if enough paper and food trains got into the station at any one time, there'd be no food and paper for them and they'd sit there forever, waiting for finished goods that weren't coming. The one thing keeping this from toppling over was one tram that was hauling food back and forth to keep the food trains moving, albeit slowly.

So...

I put a locomotive on the tramway and scrapped it.

Those trains have stood there for years now, eternally waiting to load finished goods that will never be produced.

And a long line of dozens of trains are backed up along the tracks that could deliver the materials for those goods...if the trains currently on the platform would just move out of the loving way.

Literally the only thing that needs to be done to fix this is to remove "full load" from the trains. I haven't broken anything beyond repair. I simply scrapped one tram and a bunch of ill-advised orders collapsed in on themselves. It's costing 15 million a year and has taken the company from wildly profitable to losing money. Of course, he has like 500M in reserve so he'll run out of money about the same time the sun explodes, but still, lol.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Sep 10, 2017

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Mar 23, 2021

mynameisbatman
Oct 3, 2008

hahahaha that loving full load picture is loving hilarious.

And to be honest sinxc you shouldn't ban him cos it's not like he went and did it to gently caress with someone, the other dude did it to him first like for no reason so it's only fair.

also thanks for the advice, I've mainly been doing coal and oil and stuff but I tried some livestock and grain. It's annoying though with every resource cos sometimes I end up with 4 trains waiting to load and it takes loving years.

also idgi, why would the yellow player have done that, just to be a dick? this game is so confusing I don't even really understand what he did I just see a train crossing perpendicular to a road why would that stop anything?

also seriously maybe its cos im drunk but i keep laughing at that post so loving hard even though I don't understand what's going on in it. It's just loving hilarious fighting over internet trains.

FULL LOAD 4 LIFE

I'm calling my next company full load.

mynameisbatman fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Sep 10, 2017

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

the perpendicular rail thing will destroy road vehicles 100% of the time one tries to use that road, the little anime face locomotive destroyed about 8 of my wood trucks and yeah, he did it pretty much entirely to be a dick since he wasn't even touching the forests those trucks were pulling from (at the time; he set up a simple point-to-point train afterward).

i mean, personally, i can laugh this sort of thing off, but i don't disagree with sincx's thing here. it's a pretty bad feel to come on and see this sort of poo poo happen if you just spent like 4 hours setting up some absurd network earlier that day. it only takes a couple of bad feels for people to lose the ottd itch again and then you lose one of the more fun people to train with. regardless, i don't really feel the need to defend myself here since i've played a fistful of other games so far and i've responded to competition in other funny ways that don't involve blowing up road vehicles. see also:

Coolguye posted:

also i have inaugurated 2 airports, named respectively "bigger than red's airport" and "still bigger than red's airport"

YOU KNOW WHAT YOU DID TO DESERVE THIS

all this said, FULL LOAD will live forever now

mynameisbatman
Oct 3, 2008

Wait but like why would it destroy them if the track is under a bridge?

It's 8am and I should have been asleep hours ago and I'm on the internet talking about full loads and trains goddamn. Well it's too late to sleep now.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

it won't. the bridge i built is how i fixed the situation. if you have a bridge, the trucks are safe.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

mynameisbatman
Oct 3, 2008

Coolguye posted:

it won't. the bridge i built is how i fixed the situation. if you have a bridge, the trucks are safe.

Oh so he literally put a train cutting off the road? That's a pretty lovely thing to do especially with a train making a face like that at you.

In other news I just made my first maglev system woooooo. Time to get paid.

Oh man I just realised yellow was monkfish, poor monkfish :smith:

mynameisbatman fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Sep 10, 2017

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

What's the ruling of sabotaging peoples bus lines with road construction? I did that once against Coolguye on the Japan map. For a mere 100k he lost possibly thousands in missed profits when his buses drove around in circles between the blocks. It was mostly just to see how it worked with such huge cities.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Ah, alright then. There's also the slow grade crossing train in a circle with a second train parked at a crossing in the middle. I assume that's also banned since the result is the same.

It's a good thing trains turn at the end of the tile and not halfway outside it. Although that made playing with the AI a lot of fun. :v:
It worked by you placing a depot behind a station belonging to another company, buying a cheap locomotive, starting it and ordering it to ignore signals. It would drive out of the depot so half the train was sticking into the station tile, where there already was a train full loading. Blammo. The AI never replaced its trains but it would demolish the line after a few years of being empty.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

The food and paper factories have both shut down now, leaving the station forever useless.

mynameisbatman, can I ask you to leave the game (or go spectator mode) when you aren't actively playing? I don't like coming back to cities and industries that have changed massively, after decades have passed where nobody has actually been playing.
The reason is that in multiplayer, the server automatically pauses the game when there is nobody controlling a company. So if either no clients are connected at all, or all connected clients are running as spectators, time doesn't pass and the game world doesn't change "behind your back".

nielsm fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Sep 10, 2017

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
It was working perfectly for like 100 years, I have no idea why they got backed up. Plus I only put that train there to destroy your trucks when I saw you stealing my wood :shrug:

mynameisbatman
Oct 3, 2008

poo poo yeah I didn't realise sorry, I just thought I can leave the game on and keep getting millions. I'll start hopping out now.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

In the year 2138, humanity has forgotten how to build a road vehicle that does not require tram tracks. Humanity has forgotten how to build a road vehicle that can carry anything but people.

Maybe time for a reset again soon.

The fantasy trains are fun, I'd vote for another game with them. But I don't like this map too much, and I'd actually prefer having fewer industries.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

Bluecobra posted:

Are there any improvements to cargodist/time tables? The last time I played, I spent hours loving around with timetables for a bus or tram system just to have it turn into a dumpster fire of bunching. I always end up going back to "cheating" by just extending a train station's radius. I really would like to make a realistic network of one major train station per city then passengers have to use bus/tram to get to their final destination.
Not a real solution, but I find the issue mostly resolves on its own as I expand my network. I never bother with timetables. When you only have vehicles going on one route, they'll inevitably bunch up. When you have more routes sharing the same stations though they sometimes have to wait a little bit and that essentially creates enough randomness to stop them from bunching up too badly.

Atown posted:

I can't figure out the local transportation. When I start running more than 1 or 2 vehicles on a streetcar line, then they end up losing lots of money. Even though most stops have people waiting (sometimes hundreds or thousands).
With cargodist, you only actually make money when the passengers reach their final destination. Technically, then, any intermediate vehicle makes a loss. It tries to resolve this by spreading the income to all the vehicles involved in transporting a passenger but sometimes it's bad at this and a vehicle that is actually contributing to your profit is shown as making a loss. However, if you have a bottleneck somewhere and your passengers aren't actually making it to their final destination, there might very well be a loss for real. The rule of thumb is if your vehicles are actually carrying stuff and that stuff actually makes it where it's going you're probably making a profit.

sincx posted:

Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you, the Tokaido Shinkansen. It follows the general route of the real one and stops at many of the same cities!

Where can I get this map? I'd like to do some Japan some time.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Speaking of road construction it might be worth turning on the option to make cities build ideal road networks. On the downside it makes every city look like a Stalinist grid but on the up side they don't become an entirely unmanageable mess once they get past 20k people or so.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

i've made a north/south intercontinental railroad that meets in Kansas City. it goes from winnpeg to loredo.

now i 'only' need to make regional stations that will service each state along the route :suicide:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Why are loans locked at 500k max? :mad:

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Poil posted:

Why are loans locked at 500k max? :mad:

Because inflation is off, I presume.
The only reason the loan max goes up normally is because of inflation.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

And totally not because all new vehicles and tracks are so much more expensive? :argh:

edit
I think I made a mistake in starting with wheat and livestock freight. The value is so low and production even lower. Just a few coal trains are raking in tons more money than the rest combined.

Poil fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Sep 11, 2017

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

where'd you get this map from anyways

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

:toot:

Although I guess the hard part might be keeping that rating... that darn £10,000 profit margin is always looming, especially as more vehicles and stations join the roster...

Paul.Power fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Sep 11, 2017

mynameisbatman
Oct 3, 2008

Heh is that El Paso I see in that pic? :smug:

Also we need a cartel mod where we can smuggle poo poo over borders.

also we're turning Kansas and the states around it into the best places to live in the US. God bless America.

full load crew 4 life.

EDIT: I'm pretty sure I just blasted some peoples school and houses to make room for my companies HQ in the heart of St. Louis. I don't know if I should feel bad for them. Where do the population go? Cos the pop just went down when I blasted their houses. :smith:

EDIT: The Kansas City Metropolitan Area which stretches all the way from Witchita to St. Louis is literally the baddest city in the game. You see what teamwork can achieve?

mynameisbatman fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Sep 12, 2017

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

It's now possible to get on a train in New York and go all the way to Los Angeles with only a transfer in Winnipeg. So much work.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

sincx posted:

It's actually interesting how Winnipeg and Kansas City ended up being the railroad hubs of this map instead of the real-life Chicago.
Maybe Chicago would involve too many diagonal tracks. Those are a pain to adjust terrain for and you can't build tunnels or bridges.

I tried to set up a non-stop express train between the east and west coast but no one wanted to ride it. Also the third maglev train claims to have a top speed of 1000km/h but it never manages above 440. The older 600km/h model zooms right past. :argh:

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Yes but it wasn't available when I built my track and I can't be arsed to upgrade it. :effort:

mynameisbatman
Oct 3, 2008

I love this game. :smug:

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I've stayed out of the game for a while, simply because it was taking too much time from everything else. I probably won't join for another week or so, but a reset next Saturday would be good. To let us Europeans also get in during the early game.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

sincx posted:

Introducing non-stop service from Boston to San Francisco in 1 hour.

(I would love this in real life).

And with that, I'm personally good with this map. Let me know if you guys have any requests for the next one.

:eyepop:

Darth Llama
Aug 13, 2004

I enjoyed the real map, so another continent might be fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

I'd like a UK map (all of Europe could also work) with a late 19th Century start a bit like the Japan map so there's plenty of time to mess with steam trains. Although obviously we'd need industry this time :v:. The UK Railway Set should be a good thing for it.