Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Empress Brosephine posted:

Thanks for all the refs guys. Might go Pali or fighter now. I don't like having to deal with rest and conservation in regards to moves so that's why I wanna bail on Wizard.

I'm looking forward to seeing how all per-encounter works in Deadfire, should make Wizards more fun in the early levels, where you shoot your two spells and turn into dead weight until you camp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.

Fintilgin posted:

I'm looking forward to seeing how all per-encounter works in Deadfire, should make Wizards more fun in the early levels, where you shoot your two spells and turn into dead weight until you camp.

Look, if Aloth didn't want to be strapped with heavy armour and buckler, and shoved up front as a meatshield, he shouldn't have offered to tag along.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Fintilgin posted:

I'm pretty liberal with blasting people with spells and early game my tanks always run out of health before my wizards run out of spells. I also usually take the talents that improve implements first and then re-spec at some point around levels 5/6.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Scorchy posted:

Look, if Aloth didn't want to be strapped with heavy armour and buckler, and shoved up front as a meatshield, he shouldn't have offered to tag along.

Officially, one of the goals of my replay is to take the three companions who carry over into Deadfire (Aloth, Palegina, and Eder).

I'm awfully tempted to play a wizard though, so I can just dump Aloth. He's simultaneously bland and annoying. I'd also never have to listen to one of Iselmyr's FULL VOLUME barks out of nowhere again.

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
I seriously hope in the time between PoE1 and Deadfire Aloth has hardened the gently caress up a bit. Maybe he's used his unique situation with Iselmyr to cast spells that other Wizards can't for example. Or maybe he completely expunged her at some point after becoming self sufficient and now is a complete dick like the other top wizards. It'd be nice for him to become an antagonist if he became the leader of the leaden key.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?
I imagine all the characters will have changed a good deal from Poe 1.

Aloth is great and I will hear no dissent.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
Aloth is great because we wouldn't have Iselmyr without him.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
I don't get the Iselmyr love, she is like having your annoying redneck cousin tagging along.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I started a monk. Should I go The Who game with no weapons and justbdofists the r do they eventually introduce unarmed weps? Thanks

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Empress Brosephine posted:

I started a monk. Should I go The Who game with no weapons and justbdofists the r do they eventually introduce unarmed weps? Thanks

Fists and heavy armour are a very safe bet for the whole game. Make sure your character has very high might and dex if you are going to use them. Also don't bother with the talents savage attack or apprentice sneak as they only work off the monks piddly base base damage rather than the bonus you get off transcendent suffering (which is huge).

There are arguments that later on in the game weapons are better for certain things but i wouldn't worry about that. Just enjoy fisting stuff.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Awesome ok and hanks for the tip on heavy armor was t sure if I was supposed to stay as light or not.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

If you want to stick with fists be sure to pick up the long pain ability. It makes your fists a ranged weapon, but because of the bizarre way unarmed damage works, regular unarmed misses out on some bonuses, whereas long pain fists, which count as a "summoned weapon", not proper unarmed, benefits fully from all % damage increases. It doesn't benefit from turning wheel, though, so you might want to avoid that.

At the end of the day, once you start getting really good weapons, they will outdamage your fists. Dual saber torment's reach monk is one of the highest dps outputs in the game. You can do the same build, but with bittercut and badgradr's barricade for a rock solid tank that also outputs brutally high damage.

Note, fists with long pain might still be better because it's a ranged attack, so you can decide just who to hit and don't have to worry about wasting time getting to them.

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Oh yeah definitely - if you try the long pain out and like it get all the +% damage increases you can get. I'm not a big fan of it though because I like my monks always being on the front line without having to micro them too much.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Thank you for the tips really enjoying Monk a lot more lol.

SoggyBobcat
Oct 2, 2013

You should also probably have a backup weapon for when you run into enemies that are resistant or immune to crush damage.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?
Is there anything for monks similar to druids elemental damage on their wildshape?

You fucks are going to make me play this game again.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
It should be noted, The Long Pain also works with way more monk abilities then it probably should.

Including Torment's Reach. AoE and all!

Or Force of Anguish, which is fun, because it pushes enemies back, and then they gotta reach you again, except you're doing this at range, so they don't. Reach you, that is. Until you run out of wounds, or they run out of life.

Even Stunning Blow!

funmanguy posted:

Is there anything for monks similar to druids elemental damage on their wildshape?

Lightning Strikes gives you extra shock damage when you have Swift Strikes activated. And also works with The Long Pain!

There's a full build that utilizes the Long Pain here, that goes into pretty good detail on all this. Also it's kinda funny that the character is this coked out dwarf who wants to murder all non-kith while wearing a skull and punching the air.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.
Musketeer Monk best monk

I might be taking that one to PoE2 actually.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

funmanguy posted:

Lightning strikes was already mentioned, but turning wheel is another big one. At ten wounds (fairly easily maintainable by mid to late game) it gives a 50% fire damage effect. Torment's reach also gives 50% crush, which is not elemental, but works in a similar way. Then you can find a pair of gloves that gives 2% raw damage per wound. Completely geared and at 10 wounds, monks deal a minimum of +170% multiplicative extra elemental, raw and crush damage on torment's reach -- twice if dual wielding, because it's a full attack. Then they deal two debuffing moderate damage AoEs in a cone from the initial target.

Despite all of that, they still can't compete in single target damage with a druid, just because the shape-shifted claws deal so much base damage by level 16. They also don't get all the druid spells, which would make druids better than monks even without the shape shifting because of vancian supremacy. But they're much, much tougher than druids and their melee damage is more consistent. Overall monks are probably my favorite class, and that's a tough call because I love all the classes except maybe rogues (which look like they're going to be really fun in PoE 2, escape is really cool already in PoE 1).

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
Like, it should be said, don't try to compare your character to a spiritshifted druid, especially once lightning spells are flying. Those things are absolutely absurd and proooobably will be fairly different in PoE 2.

Speaking of, assuming specific items such as Bittercut and Spell Tongue don't make a return, it'll be interesting to see which weapon types dominate. I don't think anyone in Baldur's Gate 1 expected flails to be the true overlords of BG2.

GrumpyGoesWest
Apr 9, 2015

bongwizzard posted:

I don't get the Iselmyr love, she is like having your annoying redneck cousin tagging along.

She's like Susannah from The Dark Tower minus the rascism.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

It's not as much that Iselmyr is great, but that having Aloth be stuck with her is fun. Her being awful is kind of the point.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Scorchy posted:

Musketeer Monk best monk

That is a fabulous moustache.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?

ProfessorCirno posted:

Like, it should be said, don't try to compare your character to a spiritshifted druid, especially once lightning spells are flying. Those things are absolutely absurd and proooobably will be fairly different in PoE 2.

Speaking of, assuming specific items such as Bittercut and Spell Tongue don't make a return, it'll be interesting to see which weapon types dominate. I don't think anyone in Baldur's Gate 1 expected flails to be the true overlords of BG2.

It wasn't flails, it was flail

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Avalerion posted:

It's not as much that Iselmyr is great, but that having Aloth be stuck with her is fun. Her being awful is kind of the point.

Conceptually the character is cool, but feels real underdeveloped to me. Like he needed Durance levels of text to sell the idea of being awakened, where you could have actual chats with Iselmyr and it's more then just:

Aloth: "I cast blandness"
Iselmyr: "OCH AYE! I BE A MITE CRAZY, AYE!"

Like you meet Aloth, he gets one decent character scene in the basement of the sanitarium, then he tells you how much he loves the leaden key out of nowhere and you can scowl at him or be nice about it and that's it.

EDIT: About his reveal... Also, he must be pretty high ranking in the Leaden Key in order to either take it over or oversee it's dissolution. That isn't sold AT ALL. You kinda get the impression that he hung out with some leaden key dudes once or twice and was a minor figure and then in the epilogue he takes over the whole show :lol:

EDIT: Not to mention how goofy his 'join the party' thing is. Actually all the NPCs are pretty terrible that way.
"Hey stranger," the NPC said thoughtfully, "Where you headed?"
"Into the Black Hell Dungeons of the Accursed Shadow Gods to unravel the mysteries of my fate cursed soul."
"Want company on the road?"
"Sure, you can tag along."

Hope they fix that in Deadfire.

Fintilgin fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Sep 15, 2017

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Fintilgin posted:

Conceptually the character is cool, but feels real underdeveloped to me. Like he needed Durance levels of text to sell the idea of being awakened, where you could have actual chats with Iselmyr and it's more then just:

Aloth: "I cast blandness"
Iselmyr: "OCH AYE! I BE A MITE CRAZY, AYE!"

Like you meet Aloth, he gets one decent character scene in the basement of the sanitarium, then he tells you how much he loves the leaden key out of nowhere and you can scowl at him or be nice about it and that's it.

EDIT: About his reveal... Also, he must be pretty high ranking in the Leaden Key in order to either take it over or oversee it's dissolution. That isn't sold AT ALL. You kinda get the impression that he hung out with some leaden key dudes once or twice and was a minor figure and then in the epilogue he takes over the whole show :lol:

EDIT: Not to mention how goofy his 'join the party' thing is. Actually all the NPCs are pretty terrible that way.
"Into the Black Hell Dungeons of the Accursed Shadow Gods to unravel the mysteries of my fate cursed soul."

Apart from having access to a thesaurus Obsidian games aren't especially well-written (relative to your average videogame) any more.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

sassassin posted:

Apart from having access to a thesaurus Obsidian games aren't especially well-written (relative to your average videogame) any more.

I'm actually pretty willing to give a pass on PoE 1. It sounds like it was a real Hail Mary pass to save the company where they were throwing together a whole new engine, recreating a style of game that hadn't been made in a decade+, and just generally scrambling to get the game made.

Some interesting quotes from an article:

Eric Fenstermaker posted:

Most of the dialogue in Pillars is first-draft with a cursory editing pass. There was very little time for iterative improvement, especially later in development.

The other one was that we wanted to branch the middle of the plot. Some people have expressed frustration at the player's inability to influence the outcome at the ducal palace. Well, originally, we'd wanted the player to be able to do that. But it meant building two versions of the third act, and that's extremely expensive. That cut made me sad, but there was no practical argument to be made for keeping it. It was a clean cut that saved a ton of time and made our schedule semi-workable. Had to be done.

Oh god, that pissed me off so bad.

I'M JUMPING OFF THE BALCONY, ERIC! ERIC, YOU'RE A BAD DM! I'M SHOOTING A FIREBALL! I HAVE A GUN, ERIC! I SHOOT HIM! ERIC, ERIC, YOU'RE NOT LISTENING!

Early on, I wanted to lapse time during the middle of the game. We thought about showing the player the world in multiple ages, which would've been awesome, although probably also disorienting for players who are still trying to get a handle on the setting. I'll get it into a game eventually.

This would have been cool.

We know that during the early development of Pillars of Eternity, there were multiple competing pitches for its storyline. Obviously, your pitch won. Can you tell us more about those alternative storylines, and why they didn't make it?

In retrospect, I don't think we would take that approach again. It's very difficult to gain momentum because everyone has a dog in the fight, and nobody is quite as excited for your idea as they are for theirs. And actually we didn't go with my pitch, either. Everything was kind of a stalemate at that point - there was no consensus favorite.

The good part was that all the pitches had something interesting about them. So after that I worked with George Ziets on a new draft that built on some of the favorite elements from all of the pitches. That got us closer, and there are a number of key elements there that made it into the final story. Thaos and the Leaden Key existed in a form in that draft as the antagonist, and the baby plague was in there, and some of the key events and locations. But the reception on that draft was still a little tepid. So there was one more iteration after that. That was where the twist about the gods was introduced, among other things. Was the reception any better for that one? Maybe, slightly. But at that point it was time to write the game, and I thought I could run with it, so that's what stuck.

Most people here have probably read it, but it's an interesting article and makes me hopeful Deadfire will be a big step above the first game. :unsmith:

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

I don't think it would have required branching the story to give the player more agency in the aftermath of the trial.

IMO a failed assassination attempt against the duc would have been as agitating as a successful one. The Dozens/angry Dyrwoodans still would have rioted and burned Brackenbury and Thaos still would have headed to Twin Elms.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
I was having a think about character motivations for joining you, and they should have replaced Calisca and Heodan with Eder and Aloth.

You save them from the biawac because your watcher awakening has technobabble plot powers (a sympathetic bubble in the biawac's tachyon stream shielded them from the worst of it... bla bla bla).

The biawac awakens Aloth, so you're along for the ride as Iselmyr comes out.

Eder doesn't awaken, but he has ~visions~ of his brother with Waidwen or whatever, and now, even though "he thought he was past this" it reawakens his quest and now he's driven to discover the ~real~ truth.

So now you've got two NPCs who've been through the same poo poo you have, are tied to both you and the story, and aren't just tagging along because they're bored hanging out in front of the inn. :lol:

rope kid posted:

I don't think it would have required branching the story to give the player more agency in the aftermath of the trial.

IMO a failed assassination attempt against the duc would have been as agitating as a successful one. The Dozens/angry Dyrwoodans still would have rioted and burned Brackenbury and Thaos still would have headed to Twin Elms.

That's literally all the reactivity I would have needed. Just the sense that I'd interacted with the scene in some way. Like, maybe do the whole 'catch the bad man' through some dialogue checks and scripted interactions, and the duke is very happy and I made a difference.

Obviously branching would have been fun, but not required. I just hate the lazy scenes in games where you're paralyzed by plot poison or whatever and the bad guy monologues at you, does something horrible and runs away, and you just have to sit there with an atomic arsenal strapped to your back gawping at them like a fish. I. HATE. THEM. SO. MUCH.

The other acceptable alternative would have been to arrive too late. Like you're talking to Lady Webb to get your animancy ticket, but when you arrive at the hearings the Duke is already dead and you fight some Leaden Key dudes and things are going to poo poo. Making me watch the 'Very Bad, Yet Easily Preventable Thing' while my controls are locked is infuriating.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
I wouldn't even have needed any reactivity there, but if there's only one, scripted resolution I'd really prefer one that doesn't require my party to be the biggest possible idiots.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
It's just horror movie logic guys, geez :rolleyes:

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
You can kinda see where a big time lapse would fit in with the repairing of the stronghold and the lack of main plot urgency through the first act.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
I honestly thought Calisca was the most compelling party member but welp

It actually felt like she had a purpose in the world and wasn't just waiting around for the main character to come pick her up like how I felt most of the other companions were.

Kainser fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Sep 16, 2017

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 251 days!

Kainser posted:

I honestly thought Calisca was the most compelling party member but welp

It actually felt like she had a purpose in the world and wasn't just waiting around for the main character to come pick her up like how I felt most of the other companions were.

It would definitely help to have some companions join you mid-quest as part of a dramatic narrative. A few companions work well as people just milling about, like say Durance, but most of them would be better served by a scenario which illustrates their goals and how those are served by hanging out with a questing murderhobo.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Insofar as existential malaise is a defining feature of every CNPC as we meet them, I don't think that's necessarily true in PoE's case. Companions with strong internal motivations are invariably more engaging but they'll clash much harder with a plot that's comprised mainly of milling about and chasing stories that range in depth and urgency from "errands" to "major regional power struggles" - that is, if you care about such ludonarrative elements. I'm fine with games that don't hold together on close inspection, as long as they're fun to play. I don't care if an adventuring party met at a tavern, if they're fun to hang out with.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?
I concur. The only thing I can honestly say I want out of the companions in dead fire is More. More stuff to do with them; quests, conversations, involvement in other quests, more of everything that I thoroughly enjoyed in poe and white march.

The barks when changing zones did a whole lot to make the party seem more organic than just having random loners of different classes all glomp onto the PC.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)
rope kid will my character be able to make out with serafen??

i want to be a gay pirate

Fututor Magnus
Feb 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
i don't know if josh / rope kid ever said anything about this, but are the indo-european based languages (aedyran, old aedyran, valyrian, engwithan and glanfathan) in eora actually genetically related? that is to ask, is there a proto-indoeuropean language in eora's history?

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Fintilgin posted:

About his reveal... Also, he must be pretty high ranking in the Leaden Key in order to either take it over or oversee it's dissolution. That isn't sold AT ALL. You kinda get the impression that he hung out with some leaden key dudes once or twice and was a minor figure and then in the epilogue he takes over the whole show :lol:

That bit particularly isn't too unbelievable. Even if he wasn't a high level member, he's like one of 10 people alive who knows the true nature of the Gods. Which considering that hiding that particular peice of knowledge is the the whole point of the Leaden Key puts him pretty high up the succession chain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Fintilgin posted:

Yeah, but isn't that true of most games?

• Locked thread