Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
You can pinpoint the exact moment King gets sober while reading the Dark Tower books.

Hint: it's when they get really bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I thought the Leno jokes were a little weak which is what happens sometimes when they lean too hard on the Let's Do a Voice, but I still love WHM and it was a funny ep overall.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Just like real Leno jokes.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Was it a bathroom problem?

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Steve's Pennywise voice verges on Harvey Fierstein

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

I've never read the book It, why do they have sex in the sewer? Like, they get lost, someone suggests, "Uh, we could all gently caress?", they do, and it works?

Ignoranus
Jun 3, 2006

HAPPY MORNING

thrawn527 posted:

I've never read the book It, why do they have sex in the sewer? Like, they get lost, someone suggests, "Uh, we could all gently caress?", they do, and it works?

If memory serves, I think when they do it the first time it's part of a weird "becoming adults" thing to free themselves partly from the evil childhood-nightmare powers of the monster. It has, however, probably been a good ten years at least since I read the book.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Ignoranus posted:

If memory serves, I think when they do it the first time it's part of a weird "becoming adults" thing to free themselves partly from the evil childhood-nightmare powers of the monster. It has, however, probably been a good ten years at least since I read the book.

...the first time?

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

thrawn527 posted:

...the first time?

Clickety clack, clickety clack.

Ignoranus
Jun 3, 2006

HAPPY MORNING

thrawn527 posted:

...the first time?

I think they do it again as adults to reconnect with their childhood selves or some poo poo as part of the ritual to get at It even though they're adults now. Nice, right? In the sewer, with all those turds?

EDIT: ritual as in ritual behavior like "let's try doing the same thing again", not ritual like "we read in an old book that you gotta gently caress to get at that clown dude."

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

Sorry, I'm quite busy at the moment.

The Deleter posted:

Clickety clack, clickety clack.

Clickety coke, clickety coke!

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
One time when I passed out from chugging mezcal and beer I had a brief moment of lucidity of being in the back seat of an ACQUAINTANCES car and extremely nauseous. I'm desperate to get to the window, struggling even, but I just can't get there and puke all over myself.

Or so I thought. Later I woke up clean, not a speck of vomitus on me. Much later I piece together what happened after another ACQUAINTANCE who was in the back of the car with me says that I was in the middle and he had one of the window seats and also he vomited all over himself, what a hoot huh!

The only other person who knows the truth is the driver because he was responsible and sober. I laughed along with the other guys and when I looked over to him he gave a quick zipping his mouth gesture.

He never blackmailed me either.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I don't have time to relisten, but didn't they just mention Henry Dean Stanton in a joke during their It review? These guys need to stop mentioning actors in their podcast, if they are just going to die shortly thereafter.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

MisterBibs posted:

I don't have time to relisten, but didn't they just mention Henry Dean Stanton in a joke during their It review? These guys need to stop mentioning actors in their podcast, if they are just going to die shortly thereafter.

I mean they just re-aired One Magic Christmas

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

MisterBibs posted:

I get what you're saying, but it would be hard to not mention actors in a podcast about movies.

Croisquessein
Feb 25, 2005

invisible or nonexistent, and should be treated as such

MisterBibs posted:

It's the RLM curse, it's enveloped WHM.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

thrawn527 posted:

Being together is what gives them the power to overcome Pennywise. And there's nothing that brings a group of friends closer together than a gang bang. That's the power of friendship.

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
We do these things not because they are easy, but because we thought they would be easy.
Grimey Drawer

MisterBibs posted:

Don't worry about Paul Walker.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Gyges posted:

Being together is what gives them the power to overcome Pennywise. And there's nothing that brings a group of friends closer together than a gang bang. That's the power of friendship.

Stephen King is weird.

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

Variable 5 posted:

Don't worry about Paul Walker.

Robin Williams would be GETTING THE CHAIR in this movie!

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Ignoranus posted:

I think they do it again as adults to reconnect with their childhood selves or some poo poo as part of the ritual to get at It even though they're adults now.

They don't.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Is my gmail disappearing Big Daddy Dispatches or are the guys not doing them anymore?

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

teen witch posted:

Is my gmail disappearing Big Daddy Dispatches or are the guys not doing them anymore?

They still happen. Last one was the 7th.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I'm just now watching the Twilight commentary and this might be funnier than the Rifftrax.

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

precision posted:

I'm just now watching the Twilight commentary and this might be funnier than the Rifftrax.

Them almost immediately jumping into "Does Jacob have a red rocket?" was when I knew it was going to be a good time.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

thrawn527 posted:

I just reread the book. Basically the idea is that by doing that they are strengthening their resolve/friendship. It's implied that the farther they get from IT after beating it for the first time the more they lose their way/memories. By....doing what they do they basically give themselves enough insight or something to find their way out.

The core idea, forming a bond with each other and strengthening their friendship to get out, makes sense, King just chose the most insane possible way it could have been done. It's even worse because RIGHT AFTER they get out he has a scene where they cut their hands and make a blood oath which would have been a much much MUCH better way to get them out of the sewers.

Also, when they are adults only Bill has sex with Bev which...again is probably the dumbest way it could have gone considering he's the only married dude and a huge portion of the book is based on his undying love for his wife.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

The IT sex scene is one of those cases where Uncle Steve got a little bit too literal with a big idea. Structurally it's supposed to indicate the midpoint between where the two halves of the story intersect; i.e., the end of childhood. There's a thousand different things wrong with the execution (intercourse does not equal maturity, chief amongst them), and King has never been great with sex scenes to begin with, so it firmly falls within Super Not A Good Idea territory. I've been reading Stephen King for as long as I can remember, and I've reread IT probably about 3-4 times, and that scene has never not brought a read through to a screeching halt.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I enjoyed E. Szyszka's Trapped In The Cellar Chapter 1.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Sooo Zoolander 2 for next listener request month then?

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
The 10 year rule is gonna be expiring on 2008 soon so what movies from that year would you guys say deserve episodes?

Apes-Ma
Aug 9, 2011

Your cage isn't getting any bigger.
Gran Torino :getin:

Not a 2008 film, but I really want them to do Rock A Doodle. It was a childhood staple that I recently revisited due to nostalgia, and I realized that the film is not only bad, it's batshit crazy.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

OldTennisCourt posted:

The 10 year rule is gonna be expiring on 2008 soon so what movies from that year would you guys say deserve episodes?

The Love Guru and Postal both came out that year, which are both certainly worthy of scorn. But I feel like there's good money on them doing Speed Racer. It's a divisive film and has its defenders, but it would give them pleeeenty to talk about.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

double post

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

They could do Punisher: War Zone, and it would probably turn into a We Love Movies.

Fool's Gold is loving awful, but I don't know if there's good comedy to be had from covering it.

Oh, and The Happening came out in 2008. So there's that.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Fart City posted:

The Love Guru and Postal both came out that year, which are both certainly worthy of scorn. But I feel like there's good money on them doing Speed Racer. It's a divisive film and has its defenders, but it would give them pleeeenty to talk about.

See also: Don't Mess With the Zohan

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Wasn't that also the year of Beverly Hills Chihuahua?

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

One of the few good HDTGM episodes has the director of Punisher: War Zone talking about her movie. It's pretty enlightening at the level of sexism that goes on, I gotta say. Lexi Alexander is cool, no matter how you feel about that movie.

2008 was a real goldmine for bad movies. Crystal Skull, Sex And The City, Zohan, Get Smart. It's gonna be a big year for WHM if they want to do stuff from 2008.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

thrawn527 posted:

They could do Punisher: War Zone, and it would probably turn into a We Love Movies.

Fool's Gold is loving awful, but I don't know if there's good comedy to be had from covering it.

Oh, and The Happening came out in 2008. So there's that.

They already did the happening

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
well they already did crystal skull...have they done Seven Pounds? Drillbit Taylor...pretty sure the Friedberg and Seltzer team were still putting out garbage in 2008.

I also hate slumdog millionaire but there's no way that'd happen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

bobkatt013 posted:

They already did the happening

Oh that's right, science teacher Wahlberg. I get my bad movie podcasts confused sometimes, as to who did what.