Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

raditts posted:

STARD'WHOCARES

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU
NBA2K18 requires 5GB of internal storage

for the save file

(the game card will have ~7GB of data on it, you still need to DL about 16GB to the system to run the game)

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Stardew what Nintendon't

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

CubsWoo posted:

for the save file

(the game card will have ~7GB of data on it, you still need to DL about 16GB to the system to run the game)

This series has always had massive data storage requirements. This isn't unique to the Switch.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

CubsWoo posted:

for the save file

I love that there is an extra package on the eshop that costs $90 more to give you virtual currency
Finally, free to play elements have joined forces with full-priced games

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

I mean there is some performance issues in cutscenes of NBA and some people are apparently allergic to 30-40 FPS but otherwise it's good. One general problem people have is with the modern sport genre. In other games you hit a button and bam turn instantly. Now games provide realistic movements which gives the appearance of input lag.

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT
Why such a huge save file for basketball

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

whaley posted:

Why such a huge save file for basketball

For big head mode.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Haha five gigs?! loving WWE2K has like a 1 gig save file and that's a game where you can create/download a hundred wrestlers with insane amounts of custom imported logos on them. Must be some cartridge jiggery.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

No, it's really not. The series has massive storage issues. They're bloated on pretty much every system - the only difference is that on the Switch it's broken up across the cartridge and multiple downloads.

The PS4 and XB1 versions would make you install it all even with the disks, so... tradeoffs and whatnot.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

CubsWoo posted:

for the save file

lol at them for not spending the extra $2 on a 16GB cart at least come the gently caress on with this

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!

LethalGeek posted:

lol at them for not spending the extra $2 on a 16GB cart at least come the gently caress on with this

Ya, I thought the standard game card size was 16GB... cheapasses

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

golf story when

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

TFRazorsaw posted:

No, it's really not. The series has massive storage issues. They're bloated on pretty much every system - the only difference is that on the Switch it's broken up across the cartridge and multiple downloads.

The PS4 and XB1 versions would make you install it all even with the disks, so... tradeoffs and whatnot.

why tho? is it hirez face scans or something?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

The reason is most AAA games don't bother compressing the data sizes of their games very much.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

It's tracking the virtual stats of every single fictional player in the season ,basically building a massive database of who did what and when for every team. Databases can get really big.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

TFRazorsaw posted:

The reason is most AAA games don't bother compressing the data sizes of their games very much.

Yeah, I remember when Bethesda released a free "HD" texture pack for fallout 4 and it was over 100 gigs

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

NBA2K18 looks like it plays pretty good, but it really looks like a late PS3 game, sorta janky animations and blurry textures and all. Still, it's portable NBA2K18. I don't know if the live feed I was watching is considered docked mode or handheld.

There's a surprising amount of detail dedicated to the crowd and sidelines, they could've dedicated that rendering power to the main players.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
casually glanced on the eshop and noticed NBA2K18 going for £119 and i lol'd in real life.

i assume its one of those limited edition type things but still, loving lol.

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

Al Borland Corp. posted:

It's tracking the virtual stats of every single fictional player in the season ,basically building a massive database of who did what and when for every team. Databases can get really big.
There's only 400 players though.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

spit on my clit posted:

Yeah, I remember when Bethesda released a free "HD" texture pack for fallout 4 and it was over 100 gigs

Tell a dev that new consoles have terabyte harddrives and suddenly every game is 75 gigs of uncompressed textures and sound

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Vikar Jerome posted:

casually glanced on the eshop and noticed NBA2K18 going for £119 and i lol'd in real life.

The base version is £55. For what it's worth the game has mostly negative reviews on Steam, most of them seeming to just say the game plays pretty bad compared to 2k17.

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

MY FAT WAIFU!!! :love:
She's fetish efficient :3:

Nap Ghost

Improbable Lobster posted:

Tell a dev that new consoles have terabyte harddrives and suddenly every game is 75 gigs of uncompressed textures and sound

Please, the aformentioned texture pack was in fact 'only' 55gigs! Upon wondering why this new free DLC was taking so long to allocate, I checked out some screenshots, and promptly decided it wasn't worth the time to download.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Vikar Jerome posted:

Going by the descriptions, the other editions add cosmetic poo poo and virtual currency, so carry on with the lol's.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Improbable Lobster posted:

and suddenly every terabyte hard drive feels like a 10 gig hard drive. what happened to the days of popping a disk in and playing the drat game, i preferred that to needing to get more storage space whenever i buy a new game. wait, how do you get more storage space on a ps4..? i mean on the switch its easy as poo poo because you just pop in the micro SD, but I don't recall anywhere i could replace the HD on a ps4. dont tell me the only solution is "get a new one, dummy"

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Pretty sure PS4 supports external hard drive

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

You can swap out hard drives on a PS4. The manual literally tells you how and subsequent PS4 models made it easier and easier to do so. I have a 2TB in my Pro right now.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
I dunno but these people seem to think it's possible: https://www.playstation.com/en-gb/get-help/help-library/system---hardware/storage---data/upgrade-playstation-4-hdd/

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Uncompressed data, under some circumstances, loads noticeably faster. There's always a possible trade-off between time and space, and most devs believe most users prefer faster loading times above all else.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

How is Doom gonna fit on this

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

El Burbo posted:

How is Doom gonna fit on this

Compress the hell out of the textures, make a bunch of mandatory downloads to the microSD, make multiplayer a separate download.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

The better question is, will the doom cart be red?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

What will the DOOM cart taste like?

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Blood obviously

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Hope you can rip and tear with HD rumble.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

[quote="“Phantasium”" post="“476436505”"]
Hope you can rip and tear with HD rumble.
[/quote]

Detach the joycons for glory kills.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Policenaut posted:

You can swap out hard drives on a PS4. The manual literally tells you how and subsequent PS4 models made it easier and easier to do so. I have a 2TB in my Pro right now.

Riiight, the manual...Whoops!

Policenaut posted:

Compress the hell out of the textures, make a bunch of mandatory downloads to the microSD, make multiplayer a separate download.

It's Bethesda, though, so that's not happening

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

They've already said the multiplayer will be a separate download, but no-one cared about that multiplayer when it came out.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

spit on my clit posted:

It's Bethesda, though, so that's not happening

loving skyrim was like 6gigs or something if i recall. i think they know what they are doing.

anyway, already confirmed single player is all on the cart, multiplayer is download only and there's no snapmap. poo poo will be fine. going by the direct and that article that talks about the custom switch engine they did for doom, they seem to be aiming for 60fps and the textures look like medium. gamma needs tweaking but that might just be the direct video.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

The multiplayer isn't that bad but yeah it is a separate download also SnapMap isn't in the Switch version either.

• Locked thread