Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

##date Timothy Cartwright

I have heard good things :wink:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KhediveRex
Jul 11, 2016

A poster to surpass Bifauxnen!
I see no one wants to date a 12 year old who smokes cigarettes and traffics drugs out of a train-car.

You know that's probably a really good thing. I'm gonna applaud everyone's moral integrity there.

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie

Kashuno posted:

##date quid
Kash approaches quidnose and attempts to chat to him about everything cool and good. Quid looks strangely at kash and shouts "I saw you with Mordecieus! i saw you!"
kashuno has been shamed

bahamut posted:

##date Mordiceius
Hephzibah chats to Mord about card tricks and the best way to convince professors to give them points!
bahamut was successful

PMush Perfect posted:

Ella talks to Timothy about the cute creatures they've spotted about the school grounds!
Pmush was successful

Hal Incandenza posted:

##date Alasdair
Franklin and Chaz chat about how cool puzzles are and aren't puzzle setters just the best people????
Hal was successful

Radio! posted:

Octavius asks Timothy whether he has time to discuss some of the finer points of Professor Burgundy's reference material. They both pore over obscure (but not restricted) books for a whole evening
Radio was successful

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Evergreen, I've been thinking - if you're going to take on the responsibility of rearing a newly hatched dragon, you'll need a crash course in what that involves. Also, let's get you a fireproof smock and some heavy gloves, you'll thank me later! ##tutor Mulberry Evergreen (Care of Magical Creatures)

TammyHEH
Dec 11, 2013

Alfrything is only the ghost of a memory...
##date alasdair

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

I see that the Quidditch matter is far more complicated than I had thought. Celestine, I've done you a disservice it seems. The only thing that can make this right is some tutelage to make up for your lost time.

##Tutor Celestine (Charms)

AnAnonymousIdiot fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Sep 13, 2017

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

##date PMush

VivaNova
Sep 12, 2009

The most epic adventure ever undertaken
##tutor MinutePirateBug in Potions

FewtureMD
Dec 19, 2010

I am very powerful, of course.

##date Celestine Comtois

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

god##DATEmit Meinberg

DuckHuntDog
May 13, 2004

##date Hephzibah Faukes

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

An ever-honest pacifist with no mind for tricks.

Podima posted:

Evergreen, I've been thinking - if you're going to take on the responsibility of rearing a newly hatched dragon, you'll need a crash course in what that involves. Also, let's get you a fireproof smock and some heavy gloves, you'll thank me later! ##tutor Mulberry Evergreen (Care of Magical Creatures)

Thank you so much Professor Podima :peanut: I can't wait!

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

As we're approaching the end of the month, I present a new extra credit challenge to anyone who wants to try their hand at it.

These links below lead to a secret message from a decade ago. A cousin I knew was trying to be clever and concocted a code meant only for his crush. He tried too hard in keeping this secret if you ask me; he is a preening and proud sort who wanted everyone to know how brilliant he is.

If you can uncover the secret message and post it here will receive points to their house. If you find yourself stumped and looking for advice, I can give you hints to help guide you in the right direction. 3G will be my asking price, and the hint will be yours and yours alone.

https://imgur.com/a/0aLRy
https://imgur.com/a/SoUqE
https://imgur.com/a/KujP1

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner

Feeling romantic?

ingredients

25g lightly salted butter
25 tsp double cream
30g caster sugar
15g hazelnuts
15g almond flakes
25g glazed cherries
15g plain flour
a pinch of salt

topping
30g white chocolate
30g plain chocolate

First, melt the butter in a pan and add
the cream and sugar and bring to a boil.
Switch off the gas and add the hazelnuts,
almond flakes and cherries. Sieve the flour
and the salt together and fold into the mixture.
Use a teaspoon to pour out the mixture in blobs
on a baking tray approximately 3 inches apart
and flatten with a wet fork.

Preheat the oven to 180 C and bake for about
10 minutes or until the edges are golden brown.
Leave to cool for about 5 minutes and then remove
from the tray and onto a cooling rack until firm.

For the topping: melt the chocolate and spread
over one side and leave it to set. Just before
it is fully set, you can make impressions or
wavy designs on it with a fork. Or you can
write your beloved's name or even intial
it with your own.

Should be more careful with his decimal points when copying recipes though, 25 tsp of cream is going to hurt.

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

While impressive that you've translated the entire recipe, that isn't the secret message my cousin wrote to his crush.

Look at your message and try again.

AnAnonymousIdiot fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Sep 15, 2017

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
maybe i am scum

Florentine?

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie

Podima posted:

##tutor Mulberry Evergreen (Care of Magical Creatures)
Professor Podima tutors Mulberry in one of his classes!

Tommunist posted:

##date alasdair
Tomm and Alasdair chat about the best lies they've ever told and how cool they were
Tommunist was successful!

AnAnonymousIdiot posted:

##Tutor Celestine (Charms)
Celestine is tutored in charms by Professor Mudd!

Meinberg posted:

Meinberg and Timothy find that they have much in common, and talk about how fabulous unicorns are and the many uses for their manes
Meinberg is successful!

chaoslord posted:

##date PMush
Chaoslord smiles at Ella and they get into many animated discussions about the coming months
Chaoslord is successful!

VivaNova posted:

##tutor MinutePirateBug in Potions
Professor Nova takes Darta under her wing and discusses some advanced potions techniques with her!

FewtureMD posted:

##date Celestine Comtois
Timothy and Celestine have a lovely afternoon talking about how pretty butterflies are.
FewtureMD was successful

Quidthulhu posted:

god##DATEmit Meinberg
Quid has a quick chat with meinberg, but they discover they don't have much in common very quickly, and just awkwardly stand there looking at each other for a while
Quidnose has been shamed!

DuckHuntDog posted:

##date Hephzibah Faukes
Canis and Hephzibah sit together in the library, and spend some time drawing animated animals in the air
DHD was successful

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie
:siren:Month 6 results:
Gryffindor was awarded +20 points
Slytherin was awarded +20 points

With exams looming over the students' heads, they took some time to get to know other students and forge some lifelong friendships along the way! For the most part anyway.
Gryffindor: 1/7 +5 points
Chaoslord

Slytherin: 5 /7 +25points
Celestine
KhediveRex
Tobbs
Murmur Twin
DHD

Hufflepuff: 5/7 +25 points
wheredash
Kashuno
Alasdair
bahamut
FewtureMD

Ravenclaw: 7/7 +35 points
Deena
the ninth layer
Pmush
Hal
Radio
Tommunist
Meinberg

And then it came to examtime. Students scurried about and heads were mostly down and studying or practicing for examinations. Finally the examination results were posted:
pre:
Potions	-		Canis (91) Slytherin
DaDA -			Deena (32) Ravenclaw
Charms -		Meinberg (39) Ravenclaw
Transfiguration -	Octavius (38) Ravenclaw
Astronomy -		Wren (67) Slytherin
Herbology -		Deena (41) Ravenclaw
Magical History -	Meinberg (35) Ravenclaw
Care of Magical Creatures -   Mulberry Everygreen (51) Slytherin
Slytherin have been awarded 60 points for their exam performance[/b]
Ravenclaw have been awarded 100 points for their exam performance[/b]

Month 6 Quidditch - Slytherin vs Hufflepuff
With exams out of the way, both houses were antsy to get to more aerobic pursuits. And what could be better than the noble sport of Quidditch? There had been rumours flying around the school about Slytherin's new beaters, which they maintained to the Professors were standard issue and 100% not enchanted.
The match started with Hufflepuff racing to a quick lead, leaving Slytherin's beaters struggling to keep up with the pace of the game at 60-20. Slytherin then surged back thanks to some brilliant passing plays, taking a great lead at 90-120. Unfortunately, from then on it was all Hufflepuff, with some great plays all across the field, and an easy snitch snatch bringing them to a resounding 340-100 victory

Hufflepuff have won +40 points!

Current standings:
Slytherin: 340
Gryffindor: 285
Ravenclaw: 220
Hufflepuff: 215

busb fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Sep 15, 2017

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie

Month 7
With the exams over Christmas occurred over Hogwarts. Students returned home to spend time with their families, and those without stayed at Hogwarts to enjoy the cheeriness pervading its halls.

But then with 3rd Term imminent, all students returned to the school. They whispered among themselves, tales of dark magic being perpetrated in other nearby countries. Tales of children corrupted by dark artefacts. Thankfully there was no thread to the new Hogwarts, but everyone just seemed even more on edge...

1d10=9 Month 7 Event 1 - Druidic Patchall Paste - Duel
With all students back at school, it didn't take long for the new tensions brought from the outside world to simmer over into frustrations. Octavius returned to school with a grin, brandishing a parchment he claimed was a true relic entitled 'Druidick Alkemys For Lesser Skabbs. He claimed that it was a formula for an ancient druidic paste that would heal any hurt! The school was all abuzz with this claimed miracle cure, until Keane stomped over to the Ravenclaws with a shiny wizarding magazine titled "Druids: Alchemists or Alcoholics?" which recounted the story of one Favus Vebrilicus who lived with the druids and claimed their potions were nothing more than lies, at which the Hufflepuffs all laughed and jeered at the Ravenclaws. Octavius furiously scribbled away for a minute before thrusting the parchment in his hands. "A challenge then! I bet us Ravenclaws and Slytherins can make a much better potion than you and the simpleton Hufflepuffs! And so a wager was on
This event is between:
Team1: Ravenclaw+Slytherin
vs
Team2: Gryffindor+Hufflepuff

This event will test the combined total of: (Effort + History of Magic) * (Effort+Potions) * (Effort+Transfigurations) +Cunning + Empathy +2 Pureblooded
The Team that is victorious distributes the points as such:
The student with the highest individual score wins +1 permanently to a stat of their choice
The house the contributes the lesser amount of the 2 winning houses wins +15 points.
The house that contributes the greater amount wins +5 points
If both houses contribute an equal amount, they both get +20 points

1d10=5 Month 7 Event 2 - Moonlighting - Individual
With all the hubbub of Christmas, Professor Mudd was keen to get students right back into his classes with a bang! He decided to set a challenge that would really set the cream to the top, given the right phase of the moon of course.
This event challenges (Effort*Astronomy) + (Effort*Defense against the Dark Arts) + (Empathy * Bravery) +2Muggle, +2Duellist +2Bullying
The Student that has the best score wins +20 points for their house.

Semester 2
Duelling
With students becoming more proficient with their spells, and with nervousness over Dark Magic abroad, students have become much more willing to cast spells on each other in order to win the House Cup!
From here on in, each month one player from each House, as in addition to any Duellist, may decide to publicly challenge another student to a ##Duel!
The duellists will test their Bravery, Cunning, Defense Against Dark Arts, Charms and Transfigurations.
Each duellist may PM the mod within 24 hours with their Preferred Stat order this will be numerically compared against the stat order of your opponent in a straight best 3 out of 5
(eg Birbstriek PMs DADA>Charms>Cunning>Transfig>Bravery, while his opponent winvirus PMs Bravery>Charms>DADA>Transfig>Cunning. this will compare DADA|Bravery, Charms|Charms, Cunning|DADA, Transfig|Transfig, Bravery|Cunning)
Duellists in a duel have a slight advantage, in that they may choose to doublesubmit one of their statistics in two different slots. (eg use one stat 2x, and use one stat 0x)
The loser of the duel loses -6HP, and MUST rest once during that end of month, and cannot overexert as they are fatigued.
The winner of the duel loses -1HP for each comparison he lost.
A tied duel results in -3HP for both parties, but no extra effects.

Hogsmeade is open
The following items are available for purchase:
* Colin Creevy’s Notes (43 available) - 40G - while in possession, the notes’ owner lets them take 1 other student and/or Professor to the Room of Requirement for the entire month(private discord channel)
* Sparker 290 - 10g - This broom adds a player's Empathy to their Flying skill in all Quidditch games
* Polyjuice potion (3 available) - 30g - (Professor only) - While in possession, this Professor may PM the mod to pick one Event per month and will contribute the same amount as the lowest contributor of the target player's house to their Event contribution total.
* Holistic learning: a guide to being better at everything (Student only) - 20g - for exams only, adds half of the Student's second best class (rounded down) to the class statistic

busb fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Sep 16, 2017

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Per tradition and by popular demand...

I am now accepting bets (in 5-Galleon increments!) on the outcome of this month's duel!

Please let me know in the West Wing (Room 23B) if you'd like to place a wager. After the duel ends, the pool (minus 5%) will be divided between the winners based on their bets.

Good luck, one and all!

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

xiw posted:

Florentine?

While the recipe that my cousin used is for Florentine biscuits, I must repeat that the recipe by itself is not the secret message.

Look over the text I've provided and try again.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

AnAnonymousIdiot posted:

As we're approaching the end of the month, I present a new extra credit challenge to anyone who wants to try their hand at it.
Are your cousin's initials FR?

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

PMush Perfect posted:

Are your cousin's initials FR?

No they are not.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
maybe i am scum

When's the next month deadline?

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie
Deadline 27.5 hours from now, let's gets this thing moving

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

AnAnonymousIdiot posted:

No they are not.
drat. Then I think I'm stumped.

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

Looking through the text, I've found a letter that's missing and would make decoding the secret message more difficult. On the third page, there's a red A on the first world on the 2nd line from the bottom

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
It's an incredibly hard task professor

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Grandicap, you seem to be really getting the hang of my class. Good job!

##award Gryffindor

I think with some extra tutoring, you could be a real star!

##tutor Grandicap in Defence against the Dark Arts

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Well done on the exams, everyone! Keep up the good work in the back half of the year!

It might seem a bit redundant but I have to commend Slytherin's performance in the exams - Ravenclaw did quite well too, but that's their wont as the noted studious house. Good work to the house for exceeding my expectations!

##award Slytherin

Also, not to put too fine of a point on it, but I am thoroughly thankful for everyone who sticks around and continues to put in effort for the back half of the year. That's the most important thing of all, in the end. If you're still reading this, thank you for that. Please, stick around and continue to make the rest of this school year an interesting and exciting time!

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
##approve Prof. Burgundy

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

##approve Prof. Podima

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Podima posted:

Tried this out today and it was an excellent drink for a nice end-of-summer breezy day! Thanks again for the excellent recipe.

##award Gryffindor
this didn't get approved

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie
Good work everyone! Add a note here is what I am proposing for the end of year. Month 12 will occur as a regular month to complete the Quidditch draw. What will then occur will be an extra quasi month 13, which will comprise of exams and the end of year ball only.
The ball will take place in real time in discord with mechanics revealed later in the year.

This would mean that effort will not feature in final exams or the ball.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
##approve headmaster busb

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

busb posted:

Good work everyone! Add a note here is what I am proposing for the end of year. Month 12 will occur as a regular month to complete the Quidditch draw. What will then occur will be an extra quasi month 13, which will comprise of exams and the end of year ball only.
The ball will take place in real time in discord with mechanics revealed later in the year.

This would mean that effort will not feature in final exams or the ball.

As long as the "real time" portion gives enough time for everyone to participate, this seems fine? But how do you plan to modify the exam formula to skip accounting for effort, given that that was a key portion of strategy for midterms? It seems like cutting out effort will make a big difference.

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

King Burgundy posted:

Grandicap, you seem to be really getting the hang of my class. Good job!

##award Gryffindor

I think with some extra tutoring, you could be a real star!

##tutor Grandicap in Defence against the Dark Arts

Absolutely Professor! I'm willing to put in the work too.

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

Keane, It comes to my attention that you've been harassing many of your fellow students, including my nephew.... No more!

##DetentionKeane

AnAnonymousIdiot fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Sep 18, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VivaNova
Sep 12, 2009

The most epic adventure ever undertaken
~Puff Party Points~

##award Points to Hufflepuff

• Locked thread