Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

UnknownMercenary posted:

Got tickets to see the new John Woo at TIFF. I'm pretty excited, but I'll be seeing it a week after its first showing because those first few screenings sold out by the time the tickets went on public sale.

Same. Seeing it on the 14th. Pretty psyched!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit

DivisionPost posted:

It was really generic in execution, but not in a way that left me bored. The headline for my review was "Best Action Comedy of 1991," and I meant that lovingly...though I really should've done my research and double checked what classic action-comedies came out in '91, because I'm pretty sure I'm about to get owned in here.

I liked the movie too, and your review. Don't remember any action comedy from 91 but on the action part Terminator 2 is from 91 :shobon:

Just watched Atomic Blond, the action scenes are pretty good, highly recommended. The ending would be a lot better if they didn't go with the "we need to explicitly explain this stuff to the viewers" route

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

UnknownMercenary posted:

Got tickets to see the new John Woo at TIFF. I'm pretty excited, but I'll be seeing it a week after its first showing because those first few screenings sold out by the time the tickets went on public sale.
Super jelly, I can't even find any word of a local premiere date here :mad:

At least John Wick Ch.2 turned out to be great. Maybe not as great as 1 but it's loving John Wick so I'm not complaining, it's the exact kind of action flick I need to watch every once in a while to satisfy my bloodthirst.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

La morte non ha sesso
John Wick 2 definitely follows the action sequel standard of making everything bigger and louder and more violent, but the actually shocking thing is when a character just comes out and says "Y'know what John? I think this whole thing where you kill people is just a metaphor for addiction."

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
John Wick 2 also smartly followed in the footsteps of James Bond and the Mission Impossible series by taking the action to exotic locations. People underestimate how great looking locations and competent cinematography of those locations can really lift an action movie to the next level.

When Chapter 3 comes out I'll be of course looking forward to the action first and foremost, but then right below that I'll be hyped to see some really nice cinematography, which is a crazy thing to be able to say about a series created and directed by a stunt guy.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Basebf555 posted:

John Wick 2 also smartly followed in the footsteps of James Bond and the Mission Impossible series by taking the action to exotic locations. People underestimate how great looking locations and competent cinematography of those locations can really lift an action movie to the next level.

Dredd's visuals really helped set it apart from The Raid, which was shot well but had an oppressively ugly and bland colour palette throughout.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Lobok posted:

Dredd's visuals really helped set it apart from The Raid, which was shot well but had an oppressively ugly and bland colour palette throughout.

The Raid's non-stop action trumps Dredd imo, but you're right that Dredd is more interesting visually.

That's why I love the John Wick movies so much, I get to have my cake and eat it too with those. Taking a look at Stahelski's wiki page I'm kinda worried that he's become too popular to do another John Wick sequel. He apparently signed to do a whole trilogy of rebooted Highlander films. Maybe his partner(David Leitch ) will come back to do Chapter 3.

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

I think Dredd is a bit better because it has characters. But sometimes it's nice to watch 100 straight minutes of cool stunts and murders and for that The Raid is perfect. John Wick 2 spent too much time explaining lore imo

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Pretty sure Stahelski said he was coming back for JW3 shortly after the release of 2.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

muscles like this! posted:

Pretty sure Stahelski said he was coming back for JW3 shortly after the release of 2.

Yea but that may have been before he got the Highlander offer. His schedule may have become a lot more packed after making that statement. And if it's not him or his partner doing it then I would worry about a lovely Chapter 3 ruining what could potentially be the best action trilogy ever made.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Free Fire was a kickass shootout movie too, should be due for redbox soon

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Basebf555 posted:

Yea but that may have been before he got the Highlander offer. His schedule may have become a lot more packed after making that statement. And if it's not him or his partner doing it then I would worry about a lovely Chapter 3 ruining what could potentially be the best action trilogy ever made.

I would assume the guy knows why he's famous, and is prioritizing the thing that made him famous over something that's pretty likely to bomb.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I would assume the guy knows why he's famous, and is prioritizing the thing that made him famous over something that's pretty likely to bomb.

Would that it were so simple

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Basebf555 posted:

Would that it were so simple

I think that we can assume, at very little risk, that John Wick 3 is a thing that's pretty deep into pre-pro at the moment since 2 made bank and Lionsgate is going to want that poo poo ASAP, while Highlander is just a thing that's being bandied about at the moment and can almost certainly wait its turn.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

DivisionPost posted:

I think that we can assume, at very little risk, that John Wick 3 is a thing that's pretty deep into pre-pro at the moment since 2 made bank and Lionsgate is going to want that poo poo ASAP, while Highlander is just a thing that's being bandied about at the moment and can almost certainly wait its turn.

I'm like an addict who's being told that there's a 99.8% chance that I'll get my next fix. Gotta freak out about that .2%.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

They're also working on the spin off TV series last I heard. Also that unrelated female assassin movie that's rumored to be retooled into being set in the John Wick universe.

BioTech
Feb 5, 2007
...drinking myself to sleep again...

got any sevens posted:

Free Fire was a kickass shootout movie too, should be due for redbox soon

It was impressive how long it managed to keep a single shootout between just half a dozen people interesting, but unfortunately the movie was still too long to keep it up all the way through.
I don't regret seeing it, Arnie Hammer's smug rear end in a top hat was the best.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Basebf555 posted:

The Raid's non-stop action trumps Dredd imo, but you're right that Dredd is more interesting visually.

That's why I love the John Wick movies so much, I get to have my cake and eat it too with those. Taking a look at Stahelski's wiki page I'm kinda worried that he's become too popular to do another John Wick sequel. He apparently signed to do a whole trilogy of rebooted Highlander films. Maybe his partner(David Leitch ) will come back to do Chapter 3.

I always thought that if you combined the Raid and Dredd into one film, you'd have as close to the perfect action movie as you could get.

But Dredd is a really good looking movie, as is John Wick. There's not a dull shot in either. John Wick 2 takes it even further. It's like Argento's lighting sensibility applied to an action movie. The Raid is a little dull to look at. The sequel makes up for it. My god that is a pretty movie.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

BioTech posted:

It was impressive how long it managed to keep a single shootout between just half a dozen people interesting, but unfortunately the movie was still too long to keep it up all the way through.
I don't regret seeing it, Arnie Hammer's smug rear end in a top hat was the best.
I think I literally fell asleep at some point towards the end of that one. It is impressive how long they kept it going, but still not quite enough to make the premise work with those characters in one location.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

BioTech posted:

"Is that perfume?"

"It's beard oil!"

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

FancyMike posted:

I think Dredd is a bit better because it has characters. But sometimes it's nice to watch 100 straight minutes of cool stunts and murders and for that The Raid is perfect.

The Raid has better action scenes, but I think Dredd's the better film. Its simple, brutal fights compliment the nature of the Judges, their power and iron rule. I also think Dredd's smarter and has more to say about fascism and state violence than The Raid does. I love Dredd and it's probably my favorite movie so far this decade.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

X-Ray Pecs posted:

The Raid has better action scenes, but I think Dredd's the better film. Its simple, brutal fights compliment the nature of the Judges, their power and iron rule. I also think Dredd's smarter and has more to say about fascism and state violence than The Raid does. I love Dredd and it's probably my favorite movie so far this decade.
An interesting difference between Dredd and the comics is that in the latter, the Judges represent the ultimate authoritarian state: they're always watching everyone, will crush or even kill ordinary people over the tiniest infraction and are backed up by overwhelming force. The movie Judges are equally authoritarian and ruthless, but are only barely clinging to power through sheer brutality.

(Although the city's been devastated often enough in the comics that the Judges are close to losing control there too, now.)

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
One thing I like which the movie didn't get into is that everyone is breaking the law. If you aren't breaking the law, the Judges become suspicious that you're planning something big. The Judges' rule is so brutal and overbearing, it's basically impossible to not cross them at some point.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
I liked how in the budget video game Judge Dredd: Dredd vs. Death you'd get penalized for just blowing away random civilians but could arrest them and it would scroll a random jailable offense by like "illegal possession of a goldfish," etc. whenever you wanted.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

JOHN WICK CHAPTER 3: MAY 17th 2019

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Sold.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Wick and Cassain together is some prime HK-style heroic bloodshed in the making, I'll tell you what.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Speaking of Heroic Bloodshed, Manhunt was dope.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Kermode reviewed Villainess and said it's loving phenomenal, wipes the floor with American Assassin, which makes me so happy. Now if only it was showing in NYC!

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

UnknownMercenary posted:

Speaking of Heroic Bloodshed, Manhunt was dope.

Audience loved the dove joke. Doesn't get much better than when it's done by the man himself.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Taintrunner posted:

Kermode reviewed Villainess and said it's loving phenomenal, wipes the floor with American Assassin, which makes me so happy. Now if only it was showing in NYC!

It's not showing anywhere that I can see.

Also happy to hear that Woo made a winner, even if it's not "his best movie" (fuckin' high bar, there, guys!)

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

It's not showing anywhere that I can see.

Also happy to hear that Woo made a winner, even if it's not "his best movie" (fuckin' high bar, there, guys!)

I think it really helps if you know what kind of movie it is before you go in. Someone who only half-remembers Hard Boiled and Face/Off might be expecting a totally sincere hardcore gunfight movie. And this is not that. This is all of the same over-the-top Woo action but the tone of it is much funnier and self-aware.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Lobok posted:

I think it really helps if you know what kind of movie it is before you go in. Someone who only half-remembers Hard Boiled and Face/Off might be expecting a totally sincere hardcore gunfight movie. And this is not that. This is all of the same over-the-top Woo action but the tone of it is much funnier and self-aware.

Even by Hard Boiled, Woo had acquired a lot of self awareness, which he then threw out for his Hollywood run.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
If you think a film in which Jean Claude Van Damme punches out a snake is not self-aware i'd love to hear your definition of the term

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Wandle Cax posted:

If you think a film in which Jean Claude Van Damme punches out a snake is not self-aware i'd love to hear your definition of the term

Okay, fair point.

I also forgot about the bit where he shoots someone twenty times, karate kicks them, then shoots them twenty more times.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
Face/Off is definitely self-aware, especially with Cage and Travolta's performances, but Woo never winks at the camera or jokes about it, everything is played incredibly straight. That's why Face/Off is one of the best.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I should have said more self-aware, then. Like lines of dialogue mentioning his other movies or the aforementioned dove joke.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Snowman_McK posted:

Even by Hard Boiled, Woo had acquired a lot of self awareness, which he then threw out for his Hollywood run.

Better Tommorow 2 has the often-joked-about but never-used "here's a twin brother that was never mentioned before!" gag and that was 1987. Woo has always been willing to clown around a bit and definitely has a mischievous streak. It's why he spent half a decade trying to make a Once A Thief television show.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
gently caress, y'all are right. Mea Culpa. Like you say, the goofy elements are played so straight that they barely register, they're just part of the extremely melodramatic landscape. A Better Tomorrow 2 also features a man turning into a crazy invalid out of grief, only to remember mid-gunfight. It's spectacularly dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I mean Hard Boiled has the hospital shootout, in which Chow Yun-Fat mercs like 50 dudes while holding a baby

Woo is goofy as gently caress and owns it