Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

BANME.sh posted:

Yes, I finally got my vinyl copy of Not The Actual Events in the mail yesterday. It was successfully forwarded to my new address as I have moved since first ordering it, thanks Canada Post.

The sticker on the front says it's one-sided, but side B clearly has music on it. What is it? My turntable is still packed up.

If it's like mine, it's the final side (side D?) of The Downward Spiral played backwards. Based on NinWiki it looks like that's the same across the board.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.
It's such an odd thing to do, but at least I got SOME of the definitive TDS without having to pay for it.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
Special event at Reckless Records in Chicago (the Wicker Park hipster location) tonight, it's a Q&A with the band. They're giving away an extremely limited number of signed Vietnam War vinyl soundtracks, apparently some other stuff, and will have rare other stuff to sell.

edit: I showed up at 12:15 and waited for a half hour before they finally told us there was nowhere near enough wristbands for us to get one where I was. But I did get a sweet turntable slipmat out of it.

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Sep 14, 2017

obeyasia
Sep 21, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Nail Rat posted:

But I did get a sweet turntable slipmat out of it.

I'll give you $25 shipped for it.

jtr
Oct 17, 2004

You've ruined the act, GOB.
The Vietnam War score is out, at least on Spotify.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I'm literally only like 10 minutes into this Vietnam War score but I already wanna say it's the best score Trent/Atticus have made since Social Network.

Dragon Tattoo and Gone Girl didn't have many memorable songs IMO (except for the intro/end credits of Dragon Tattoo), and the atmosphere of this one is already drawing me in heavily.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Okay, yeah, What Comes Back rules. I need to see this documentary.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

First listen pretty good.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Dad

Sai-kun
Feb 6, 2011

Is it ever going to be enough, to love another and be loved?
They loving KILLED tonight. I think it was the live debut of The Background World too, which is my favorite track they've put out this era. I was losing my poo poo, it was soooo loving good.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Sai-kun posted:

They loving KILLED tonight. I think it was the live debut of The Background World too, which is my favorite track they've put out this era. I was losing my poo poo, it was soooo loving good.
I’m so loving jealous. I’d kill to witness The Background World live. I hope I get to one day. Or at least see them play it on a live stream or something. I’d be super interested to see how they pull that one off live. Do they just keep turning distortion/fuzz/bitcrush pedals up higher and higher until it sounds unrecognizable at the end?

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Dragon Tattoo and Gone Girl didn't have many memorable songs IMO (except for the intro/end credits of Dragon Tattoo)

Oraculum and A Thousand Details are the tracks I've listened to individually (had Oraculum as my ringtone for a while) but usually I go for the entire album. Really excited to listen to this new thing.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Angryhead posted:

Oraculum and A Thousand Details are the tracks I've listened to individually (had Oraculum as my ringtone for a while) but usually I go for the entire album. Really excited to listen to this new thing.
Oh yeah, these are good ones. drat, I completely forgot about these songs. A Thousand Details sounds super familiar now that I'm listening to it again, though.

I should really give Dragon Tattoo's soundtrack another listen. I know Gone Girl's had that surreal spa music leitmotif or whatever Fincher wanted like that and that wasn't really my jam, but yeah, A Thousand Details absolutely is.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I really like "The Way He Looks at Me" followed by "Technically, Missing" from Gone Girl, but that's because they are the perfect soundtrack for the scenes that they accompany. I think they wouldn't work as stand-alone songs, unlike The Social Network's soundtrack (which is probably why I have heard half the songs on This American Life at some point).

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I love their soundtrack pieces that sound like logical extensions of the Ghosts project. I mean, I guess a lot of them fit that description, but yeah.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SBNCYkSceU

Remember when NIN was playing this one live? That was short lived, but still really cool that they incorporated that into the set.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BkJ8brDjXg0

Kinda like how for a little while they were playing Ghosts stuff live:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2iMaF1FtkE

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

Ghosts is #1 and Dragon Tattoo #3 on my most-listened-to-albums list, mostly because it's just excellent background music for programming or reading.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

On a related note, I discovered just today that playing Destiny 2 with the music volume all the way down and Trent/Atticus soundtracks playing in the background through the Spotify app on PS4 with the volume all the way up makes this game feel even more enjoyable than it already did and I feel like an idiot for playing probably 30 something hours of this game before learning that.

These soundtracks just add so much depth to so many different things!

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Strangers In Lockstep :stare:

loving hell, this sounds like something that would've fit right in on HEALTH's Max Payne 3 soundtrack, which I guess makes sense considering HEALTH toured with NIN once upon a time.

e: My god, I'm imagining a hip-hop album using some of these instrumentals and it would be loving next level.

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Sep 16, 2017

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

e: My god, I'm imagining a hip-hop album using some of these instrumentals and it would be loving next level.

Seems as good a time as any to plug this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tbicvvj9ls

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude

I’m so loving jealous. I’d kill to witness The Background World live. I hope I get to one day. Or at least see them play it on a live stream or something. I’d be super interested to see how they pull that one off live. Do they just keep turning distortion/fuzz/bitcrush pedals up higher and higher until it sounds unrecognizable at the end?

It just ends where you think it would.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_y5uyCemEA

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Aw man. That’s still cool, and I really dig the independent duet between Robin and Trent at the end, I just wish they’d found a cool solution to disintegrate the ending loop live. It doesn’t have to be for several minutes like on the studio version, because that may or may not kill the flow of a set. But it seems like it’d be something the band would’ve been able to find a creative method of implementing instead of just leaving that part out.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Interesting, apparently "She's Gone Away" was written specifically for Twin Peaks. And there was originally a different song, which may or may not be something we've heard.

https://www.alternativenation.net/nine-inch-nails-another-twin-peaks-song-wasnt-well-received/

quote:

Reznor said, “It was written specifically for Twin Peaks. Actually we wrote a different song initially, he said, ‘How about something less Twin Peaksy sounding, and more aggressive and ugly.'”

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Sir Lemming posted:

Interesting, apparently "She's Gone Away" was written specifically for Twin Peaks. And there was originally a different song, which may or may not be something we've heard.

https://www.alternativenation.net/nine-inch-nails-another-twin-peaks-song-wasnt-well-received/

I was wondering if this was the case ever since episode 8, which featured them playing it. It was either really weird happenstance that had him just coincidentally writing a song where half the lyrics sounded like they were about that show, or he wrote it for it.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

http://www.pbs.org/kenburns/the-vietnam-war/watch/episode-1/

Ken Burns Vietnam documentary that Trent/Atticus soundtracked is available to stream! At least, the first part is. I don't know if all of it is.

PoopinClumpin
Jul 4, 2006

Molestationary Store posted:

I got my booklet thingie. It's cool I guess. Now i have to figure out where to put 18 'ADD VIOLENCE' stickers.

It might have been mentioned, but based on the context of the other art within the "Physical Component", the stickers are meant to be cable labels. Like the kind that come with hi-fi receivers or home theater setups. So put them on your dong in other words.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

[quote="“Rageaholic Monkey”" post="“476508112”"]
http://www.pbs.org/kenburns/the-vietnam-war/watch/episode-1/

Ken Burns Vietnam documentary that Trent/Atticus soundtracked is available to stream! At least, the first part is. I don’t know if all of it is.
[/quote]

First episode now, the rest will go up every Sunday as it airs. It looks like the whole thing might be available to buy direct from PBS already though?

BobbyHeenanTinyHat
Apr 1, 2005

Calling all girls of the opposite sex
N/A

BobbyHeenanTinyHat fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Aug 27, 2018

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

The new Manson single is pretty dope and surprisingly he still sounds like he's got it after 20+ years:

:nws: warning

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KWpuVrRek4

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

20 seconds into the Manson video: "oh, I guess someone liked Hitman: Absolution"
a minute in: "ah, it's pretty much a tribute!"

Here is the inspiration which is also very :nws: (in fact I'll remove the embed, because the thumbnail is already nws)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65gcndvshAY
It was a poor game in the franchise with some terrible, terrible ideas.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Sep 19, 2017

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!
Manson looks alarmingly like Suicide Squad joker

BobbyHeenanTinyHat
Apr 1, 2005

Calling all girls of the opposite sex
N/A

BobbyHeenanTinyHat fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Aug 27, 2018

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

I think the seedy burned out look is working well for him actually

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I'd be happy if they worked together again. I'd also be happy if we got a deluxe remastered version of ACS after all these years.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Huh, this Ken Burns Vietnam doc is using Ghosts stuff in addition to the score Trent/Atticus did for it. I'm watching episode 3 and I just heard 01 Ghosts I.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

So check this poo poo out: Day for Night Festival in Houston (which I went to last year) released their lineup for the 2017 festival in December and oh my god

:vince:

Even if I have to sell my body, I'm going to this.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

So check this poo poo out: Day for Night Festival in Houston (which I went to last year) released their lineup for the 2017 festival in December and oh my god

:vince:

Even if I have to sell my body, I'm going to this.

A friend of mine sent me this last night and he's plugged in so it was legit, but seeing it confirmed rules. gently caress yeah man NIN and Lil b the same weekend? gently caress yeah

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

I had no idea Venetian Snares x Daniel Lanois was even a thing. It somehow sounds like I'd expect it to sound tho. But yeah, even if you'd ignore NIN that would still be a killer line-up.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

It's going to be amazeballs. So glad I pulled the trigger on the blind pre-sale.

Sai-kun
Feb 6, 2011

Is it ever going to be enough, to love another and be loved?
rageaholic, I will sell my body so that you can go

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Seriously, Ken Burns is like mining Trent's discography on The Vietnam War. Not only have I heard multiple Ghosts tracks in here but now I'm loving hearing The Wretched.

It kinda rules, but it's like Trent and Atticus' score for this must not have been very long.