Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I member when people hated South Park for being preachy and full of messages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
I lost it at the "MMA fighter in my spare time" bit, that's directly from the intro to "Flip or Flop: Vegas" and I was delighted to see them take the piss out of it

EDIT: my wife's got HGTV on at the moment and I just heard "carrera marble" mentioned twice in the span of like 40 seconds haha

Minidust fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Sep 14, 2017

just bob
Sep 6, 2017

by Reene
I think Daryl's rant about arabs blacks and hispanics is going to come up again in later episodes. My favorite joke was the little confederate heart pillow on the loveseat.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

bob human being posted:

I think Daryl's rant about arabs blacks and hispanics is going to come up again in later episodes. My favorite joke was the little confederate heart pillow on the loveseat.

Whoa, whoa! We don't take kindly to people who take kindly to continuity 'round here!

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011
I loved the last two seasons more than anything they made before and it's sad watching them go back to this. Oh well, let's just hope or the rest of he season.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

Sir Lemming posted:

Whoa, whoa! We don't take kindly to people who take kindly to continuity 'round here!

Now there, Sir Lemming, he ain't causing no trouble.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
My favorite bits were Cartmans reactions to Heidi.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

If you watch a lot of the home improvement poo poo on hgtv, those parts are hilarious because of how dead on it is.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Hope they do more episodes of the kids being kids or getting into adventures that aren't heavily influenced by politics or what's hot now. Those are my favorite episodes.

I always find it weird that people want to see South Park tackle issues.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

I really liked last season and how it fell apart. It was fascinating to see them try to rework their plan week to week. It wasn't good, but it was interesting.

This episode was really bad.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.

Lyer posted:

If you watch a lot of the home improvement poo poo on hgtv, those parts are hilarious because of how dead on it is.

I'm an HGTV junkie, so that aspect of the episode was loving aces. Not only was it spot-on, but it's the exact kind of stupid poo poo that Randy would try to emulate.

The idea of poorly-equipped rednecks replacing Alexa was really loving funny too.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Haha, man the bitching in this thread. First eps are always mediocre at best and no, they're not keeping up the continuity unless they think it's funny and the focus is going to be on the kids being kids from now on, they've mentioned it a dozen times already in various interviews. Overall I didn't think this week's episode was great but some of the Alexa gags got a laugh out of me.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Nah this was abnormally anemic. I've never found myself doubting if i wanted to keep watching this show before, but that's how straight up boring and lame this was.

the ep had nothing good for anyone who doesn't watch HGTV

Hope it turns around next wednesday.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, there's been plenty of clunkers in South Park's run, but that was easily one of the most half-assed, effortless episodes they've ever done.

Very frustrating that they continue to want to do this show but refuse to change their approach in any way. The show has evolved beyond the 6 days to air approach but they refuse to see that or don't care because it still makes them money.

If the next episode is this bad then this will be the first season I don't bother to watch as the episodes premiere.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I just watched this episode on Hulu and the sound mixing was completely terrible for some reason. Music and sound effects were super loud and the dialog was really quiet, like that final scene of Cartman after he breaks up with his girlfriend I couldn't hear anything he was saying because it was completely drowned out.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up

muscles like this! posted:

I just watched this episode on Hulu and the sound mixing was completely terrible for some reason. Music and sound effects were super loud and the dialog was really quiet, like that final scene of Cartman after he breaks up with his girlfriend I couldn't hear anything he was saying because it was completely drowned out.

Yeah same here watching it on cable. The ominous music was almost drowning out the dialogue.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
It was an obscure meta joke about Christopher Nolan. Nah, same here watching on the southpark.cc site (which I guess is really just Hulu)

fist4jesus
Nov 24, 2002
Too many plot points for one episode. None of them explored.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
The episode was terrible but I liked the evil glee the protesters took in waving the flag for practical reasons.

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!
I was kind of bored, but knowing it triggered Alexas and adding titty chips to people's shopping lists is giving me a chuckle today.

JoshGuitar
Oct 25, 2005

vermin posted:

Yeah same here watching it on cable. The ominous music was almost drowning out the dialogue.

I noticed on my receiver it was only showing "center channel" and "subwoofer". I hosed around with things for a while until I tried watching a different show and it was back to normal. Something was definitely fucky there.

Poppyseed Poundcake
Feb 23, 2007
Alexa add "Bush did 9/11" to my shopping list

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

mng posted:

I was kind of bored, but knowing it triggered Alexas and adding titty chips to people's shopping lists is giving me a chuckle today.

I guess mine didn't pick it up from the bedroom, because that would have been loving hilarious.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
While the episode was kind boring in general is really had three good ideas (Rednecks replacing Alexa, kids loving around with Alexa, and Randy doing a HGTV show) that should have been picked as the main plot and just ran with it instead of mashing all of them together.

Otto Von Jizzmark
Dec 27, 2004
Not great but it had some funny jokes I laughed.

I liked how it pointed out how silly the confederate flag waving is, racial implications aside. Its sorta how i feel seeing them in Oregon from time. It just looks ridiculous.

Poppyseed Poundcake
Feb 23, 2007
What side was Colorado even on during the civil war?

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

it was just a territory for the war and was home mostly to people sympathetic to the union.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
So what you guys are saying is that Matt and Trey need to knock out the wall that they've set up between each episode's production schedule, for a more open episode writing experience they can use to better entertain their guests.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up

The Bee posted:

So what you guys are saying is that Matt and Trey need to knock out the wall that they've set up between each episode's production schedule, for a more open episode writing experience they can use to better entertain their guests.

They can't break it down because it's a thematic structure bearing wall. They tried breaking it down years ago and the critics said it nearly collapsed.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Otto Von Jizzmark posted:

Not great but it had some funny jokes I laughed.

Pretty much my take. Better than all of last season combined even if not a super strong episode. I watch enough HGTV and mess around with enough automation stuff that I laughed plenty.

Weird to have a premiere episode without most of the main cast in it. I imagine they were in the beginning scene, but that's it.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

That was kind of an average episode. I'm really mad about it and will stop watching this 20 year-old show because of it.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
There was enough funny stuff in this one, but it was completely overshadowed by the failure to take on white supremacy, and the weird botched message they delivered in its place. It was so distracting that I was constantly waiting for them to get on their soapbox and get to the point so I could actually focus on the comedy bits and be done with it.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

They should cancel this season, spend some actual time thinking of funny poo poo, and only inject topical humor when they really feel it. It was fun when they could react to an event that happened on Monday and make fun of it on Wednesday, but you can't do that every week.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Every time they've had time to think about things beforehand (like with just about every first episode of a season) it rarely turns out good. It's always toward the end of a season when they're up against a deadline and have to quickly think of some weird poo poo for an episode when it gets better. It's always been like this and every season people go nuts over a weak first episode.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Wow, unfunny, and even more incoherent then usual.

The only thing that made me laugh was the HGTV parody element. It's funny how much these shows have reshaped people's wants; if you watch the Carribbean or Island life shows, it doesn't matter how remote the location, people always want the same cookie cutter "Open floor plan, granite counter tops, stainless steel appliances." Anything that deviates from that, no matter how awesome, or recently renovated, is "dated" and "a complete gut job".

Even people who obviously don't cook want these things. :psyduck:

fist4jesus posted:

Too many plot points for one episode. None of them explored.

Yup.

Waltzing Along posted:

My feeling is that they showed up at the office a week ago and this was the result.

Rather than them reflecting on how bad last season was and saying, let's show up a month early and hammer out some good jokes and storylines and have a good season.

Waltzing Along posted:

The answer is obvious: they didn't learn their lesson.

Or only partly learned. They saw the disaster of last year and rather than taking the good ideas (a running storyline) and dropping the bad (trying to write an episode in 7 days with a coherent running plot) they have just gone back to what worked in the past. So what we got was a story that probably had another 10 minutes of material that Trey had to edit into 22 minutes and it ended up being a POS.

So they learned noting and we are just back to where we have been for years. 1 week to make an episode that will be based on current events and sometimes will hit and sometimes won't. It's a pity because when they actually spend time writing things they can be quite good.

Couldn't agree more.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It seems like they're in 'throw poo poo at the wall' mode since the last season went off the rails. Which is disappointing, they've had a year or so and no shortage of inspiration.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
2.5/5 stars but as usual every scene with Randy is p much flawless. My mom and brother love HGTV and I cannot tell the difference between any of the shows.

Waving the flag was always funny.

For me, Cartman & Heidi scenes weren't funny and just a massive bummer because Cartman perfectly captures "whiny bitch blames everything on his girlfriend" and I just derive no joy in watching depictions of Cartman gaslighting an innocent girl to go play with his toys. It's totally old school Cartman but just incredibly unappealing to watch. Cartman bs other assholes is funny because everyone gets what they deserve, Cartman ruining innocent lives is garbage tier TV.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Inescapable Duck posted:

It seems like they're in 'throw poo poo at the wall' mode since the last season went off the rails. Which is disappointing, they've had a year or so and no shortage of inspiration.

Like others have said, though, that's kind of always their mode, especially at the beginning of a season.

Doesn't mean it's good, just saying.

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

DERRRRRPPP what are picture threads for????

The HGTV stuff was a hit for me, my wife watches those shows all the time. And Cartman side plot. Everything else was eh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Pretty good explanation of S20:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8KUTZUqyzk

• Locked thread