Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp
I'd just like to say that I really appreciate Verizon giving me $480 for a two year old Note 5.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
Hey gotta give credit where credit is due.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
Are any of you aware of an Android O issue with Verizon Pixels? My wife's Pixel got the update last week and since then her phone has been acting up. She literally cannot use it as a phone anymore - the mic no longer picks up her talking, and she no longer hears sound out of the speaker. She can initiate and receive calls, but it's just silence on both ends.

Meanwhile, my Pixel on Fi got the Android O update at the same time as hers and it's been smooth sailing.

I found a couple of posts on Reddit of people in the same situation as my wife so I figured I'd try asking here before crossposting in the Android phone thread.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

IAmKale posted:

Are any of you aware of an Android O issue with Verizon Pixels? My wife's Pixel got the update last week and since then her phone has been acting up. She literally cannot use it as a phone anymore - the mic no longer picks up her talking, and she no longer hears sound out of the speaker. She can initiate and receive calls, but it's just silence on both ends.

Meanwhile, my Pixel on Fi got the Android O update at the same time as hers and it's been smooth sailing.

I found a couple of posts on Reddit of people in the same situation as my wife so I figured I'd try asking here before crossposting in the Android phone thread.

That's been an issue with Pixels over the past year, microphone just stops working. I don't know of a fix.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

Duckman2008 posted:

That's been an issue with Pixels over the past year, microphone just stops working. I don't know of a fix.
Alright, thanks. I guess we'll try and get it replaced at Verizon.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

IAmKale posted:

Alright, thanks. I guess we'll try and get it replaced at Verizon.

My girlfriend's Pixel did this exact thing. We got a Verizon warranty replacement. That one failed with the same issue 3 weeks later. We got another Verizon replacement, whose proximity sensor was faulty. We got another Verizon replacement, which lost mic/earpiece functionality within a week.

We went straight to Google for the next replacement. Number five seems to be the charm so far. Kind of a bummer to get to that point, though.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Mine does this occasionally. It seems to happen more frequently the longer I go between restarting it. One restart and it works fine again for a while (weeks/months) :shrug:

e: it's been an issue for the year plus that I've had it.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

IAmKale posted:

My mother's pixel xl took the update and went into a permanent bootloop. Getting a replacement from Verizon soon.

GhostOfTomNook
Aug 17, 2003

El gallo Pinto no pinta,
el que pinta es el pintor.

Complicated seeming iPhone Upgrade Program question...

Last year I got an iPhone 7 using the iPhone Upgrade Program, and then a couple of months later Verizon gave me a Pixel for "free" with monthly trade-in credits. So I have a balance on my Verizon account, but I'm getting monthly credits to cover the payment amount.

Will activating an iPhone Upgrade Program iPhone 8 cause Verizon to cancel my Pixel agreement and bill me for the balance due?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

pragan4 posted:

Complicated seeming iPhone Upgrade Program question...

Last year I got an iPhone 7 using the iPhone Upgrade Program, and then a couple of months later Verizon gave me a Pixel for "free" with monthly trade-in credits. So I have a balance on my Verizon account, but I'm getting monthly credits to cover the payment amount.

Will activating an iPhone Upgrade Program iPhone 8 cause Verizon to cancel my Pixel agreement and bill me for the balance due?

Are both payment plans on your plan (same plan but different lines)? Because you can only have one payment plan per line at a time, so if you got the iPhone 7, the only way to have got the Pixel when you got it was A. Trade in iPhone and pay off difference or B. Put one of the payment plans on another line.

If you PM me your cell I'll check for you.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Quick question: Should I activate my new iPhone 8 prior to receiving it or wait until I have it? If I activate it beforehand, will it turn off service to my iPhone 6?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Wait until you have it. You will lose service on your current phone.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
That's what I figured but Verizon's email said something about "Learn how to Prepare and Activate" your new purchase. Cheers!

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I don't know what Verizon's obsession is with spamming out new SIMs with every device and going through an activation process.

If your old SIM fits your new phone, just pop out the shipped SIM prior to turning the phone on for the first time and put your current SIM in. There doesn't need to be an activation process.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

bull3964 posted:

I don't know what Verizon's obsession is with spamming out new SIMs with every device and going through an activation process.

If your old SIM fits your new phone, just pop out the shipped SIM prior to turning the phone on for the first time and put your current SIM in. There doesn't need to be an activation process.

Most customers don't know their phone has a removable SIM or that you can just swap SIM cards.

Also, a year or so back I would have said I see a decent failure rate on manual swaps. IE moving a 5S SIM to a new iPhone, sometimes the SIM would stop working.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Hey Duckman, are you able to see store inventories or shipments?

I received my 64 GB but decided I want a 256 GB; two different stores had said they had the 8+ 256GBs in space grey but when tI got there it turned out to be normal 8s. I've thought about just returning it and ordering the 256GB online but one of the stores said they might get a shipment tomorrow so I'm not sure what to do.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
[quote="“SourKraut”" post="“476672473”"]
Hey Duckman, are you able to see store inventories or shipments?

I received my 64 GB but decided I want a 256 GB; two different stores had said they had the 8+ 256GBs in space grey but when tI got there it turned out to be normal 8s. I’ve thought about just returning it and ordering the 256GB online but one of the stores said they might get a shipment tomorrow so I’m not sure what to do.
[/quote]

Most corporate stores should still have them (mine does). Inventory was about the same as last year, but traffic was way down.

Last year my coworker and I did 20-25 total boxes each (including phones, iPads, whatever). This year I barely did 9, and I think 2 were Android.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Hey Duckman, got an odd question.

I've got a friend who needs to set up internet in an outside dwelling that's separated from the main structure. Wiring is straight out, and she got super pissed with HughesNet when they told her they needed her SSN before they'd even consider giving her a pricing quote. I suggested a mobile hotspot to her because evidently the WiFi/broadband from the main structure is lovely and can't be easily upgraded because the structure(s) lay within a state park and Comcast evidently wants an exorbitant amount to run new cable in. So unfortunately my initial suggestion of "just get an AP with a directional antenna to point at the main office" won't work.

What plans does Verizon offer for mobile hotspots only that'd provide ~20GB/data per month, and is there anything that a small business or small educational institution could take advantage of, pricing-wise? She's got to drive ~10-12 Chromebooks on the hotspot. I know a while back Verizon had a deal for some motor home organization that was $50/month for a pretty healthy data allowance on a mobile hotspot-only plan that got killed pretty quickly.

I figure anything's got to be cheaper than *satellite* internet, and I think I sold her on the fact that the hotspot could be driven by a modest 900VA UPS that could get trickle-charged by a solar panel...*and* in that situation a hotspot will even provide connectivity in the event of a power outage.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Sep 23, 2017

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Hey Duckman, got an odd question.

I've got a friend who needs to set up internet in an outside dwelling that's separated from the main structure. Wiring is straight out, and she got super pissed with HughesNet when they told her they needed her SSN before they'd even consider giving her a pricing quote. I suggested a mobile hotspot to her because evidently the WiFi/broadband from the main structure is lovely and can't be easily upgraded because the structure(s) lay within a state park and Comcast evidently wants an exorbitant amount to run new cable in. So unfortunately my initial suggestion of "just get an AP with a directional antenna to point at the main office" won't work.

What plans does Verizon offer for mobile hotspots only that'd provide ~20GB/data per month, and is there anything that a small business or small educational institution could take advantage of, pricing-wise? She's got to drive ~10-12 Chromebooks on the hotspot. I know a while back Verizon had a deal for some motor home organization that was $50/month for a pretty healthy data allowance on a mobile hotspot-only plan that got killed pretty quickly.

I figure anything's got to be cheaper than *satellite* internet, and I think I sold her on the fact that the hotspot could be driven by a modest 900VA UPS that could get trickle-charged by a solar panel...*and* in that situation a hotspot will even provide connectivity in the event of a power outage.

It's just the normal plans.

$90 for 16GB
$110 for 24GB
$20 for the hot spot

So $110 or $130 a month. Maybe a small discount.

Device wise look at the smart hub, $99 on two year contract.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Duckman2008 posted:

Most corporate stores should still have them (mine does). Inventory was about the same as last year, but traffic was way down.

Last year my coworker and I did 20-25 total boxes each (including phones, iPads, whatever). This year I barely did 9, and I think 2 were Android.

Trip report: I went to four different Verizons to check, the last two because they'd indicated they had 256GB 8+'s in stock, but when I'd gotten there, they then didn't. None of the other stores in my area indicated they had any when I called.

Out of curiosity, is there any reason why they wouldn't want to do an exchange of a 64 GB to a 256 GB in a store? The last store I went to, when I had called, said they had both silver and space grey 256GB 8+'s in. When I got there and explained what I wanted to do, the guy went to a back room area, came out 30 seconds later, and said they didn't have any. It'd only been about 18 minutes since I'd called and they said they had them. I'm guessing they actually didn't have any when I called and the guy thought they did, but it was still a bit frustrating.

They said they're going to be getting in shipments over the next few days so to keep trying back. At this point though I might just start the return process online and re-order it online.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
[quote="“SourKraut”" post="“476689254”"]
Trip report: I went to four different Verizons to check, the last two because they’d indicated they had 256GB 8+’s in stock, but when I’d gotten there, they then didn’t. None of the other stores in my area indicated they had any when I called.

Out of curiosity, is there any reason why they wouldn’t want to do an exchange of a 64 GB to a 256 GB in a store? The last store I went to, when I had called, said they had both silver and space grey 256GB 8+’s in. When I got there and explained what I wanted to do, the guy went to a back room area, came out 30 seconds later, and said they didn’t have any. It’d only been about 18 minutes since I’d called and they said they had them. I’m guessing they actually didn’t have any when I called and the guy thought they did, but it was still a bit frustrating.

They said they’re going to be getting in shipments over the next few days so to keep trying back. At this point though I might just start the return process online and re-order it online.
[/quote]

Exchange /= sale
Inventory is limited
So some stores/reps don't like giving up potential sales for an exchange, even if that's the rules.

Now, they could do what I do. Take full return and resell it, I get paid , customer gets phone , everyone is happy. But not everyone thinks that through.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Duckman2008 posted:

Exchange /= sale
Inventory is limited
So some stores/reps don't like giving up potential sales for an exchange, even if that's the rules.

Now, they could do what I do. Take full return and resell it, I get paid , customer gets phone , everyone is happy. But not everyone thinks that through.

It makes sense, and I was fine with doing the full refund first and buying the new one (which is what I even told the guy I was talking to at the last store).

What would you recommend my best approach should be at this point?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
[quote="“SourKraut”" post="“476692901”"]
It makes sense, and I was fine with doing the full refund first and buying the new one (which is what I even told the guy I was talking to at the last store).

What would you recommend my best approach should be at this point?
[/quote]

I mean, I'm gonna bet the phones will be in pretty good supply, it's just not as big of a demand as last year due to the X coming out in November, not as good promos, etc. so probably just swap it Tuesday in a store, still quicker than shipping.

Ceros_X
Aug 6, 2006

U.S. Marine
I've got a Note 4 that has lasted me 3 years. I've went through 2 deployments and multiple screen protectors but the phone is still chugging along and in great shape. I don't game on my phone, what are the benefits of switching from a Note 4 to a Note 8? I lose the ability to switch batteries (and am stuck with a smaller battery then available aftermarket for a Note 4) and gain.. a better set of cameras, better hardware? Also pretty sad to only get $102 in trade on one.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

You shouldn't get a Note 8, in any case. It's a Galaxy S8+ with a stylus no one uses for $200 more.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Ceros_X posted:

I've got a Note 4 that has lasted me 3 years. I've went through 2 deployments and multiple screen protectors but the phone is still chugging along and in great shape. I don't game on my phone, what are the benefits of switching from a Note 4 to a Note 8? I lose the ability to switch batteries (and am stuck with a smaller battery then available aftermarket for a Note 4) and gain.. a better set of cameras, better hardware? Also pretty sad to only get $102 in trade on one.

Is your phone broken? You should get a higher trade in on the Note 4 as long as you upgrade by end of the month.

Checked, and you should get:
$240 towards the Note 8
$210 towards S8+
$189 towards S8

Goes towards the monthly price, it's not an upfront trade in.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Endless Mike posted:

You shouldn't get a Note 8, in any case. It's a Galaxy S8+ with a stylus no one uses for $200 more.

I use the stylus almost every day and I'm pretty sure after all was said and done I got my Note 8 for cheaper or at the very least at a comparable price to the S8+.

Endless Mike posted:

I upgraded from my Note 5 mostly because 32GB of memory with no way of expanding it outside of a smart case was starting to drive me nuts. The Note 4 has expandable memory so you obviously don't have that problem. You're probably fine just holding onto your Note 4 to be honest.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

PneumonicBook posted:

I use the stylus almost every day and I'm pretty sure after all was said and done I got my Note 8 for cheaper or at the very least at a comparable price to the S8+.

I upgraded from my Note 5 mostly because 32GB of memory with no way of expanding it outside of a smart case was starting to drive me nuts. The Note 4 has expandable memory so you obviously don't have that problem. You're probably fine just holding onto your Note 4 to be honest.

I think the Note 8 is overrated, but a Note 4 is going to be showing its age right now. I would recommend updating a Note 4 to a S8, S8+ or Note 8 and get the better trade in while you can.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

That trade-in deal happened at a welcome time since the headphone jack on my S6 Edge+ was starting to go. Got about $270 for it towards an S8+. I thought about the Note 8 for a minute but the pen, extra RAM and ever-so-slightly taller screen didn't seem worth the extra $120.

Ceros_X
Aug 6, 2006

U.S. Marine

Duckman2008 posted:

Is your phone broken? You should get a higher trade in on the Note 4 as long as you upgrade by end of the month.

Checked, and you should get:
$240 towards the Note 8
$210 towards S8+
$189 towards S8

Goes towards the monthly price, it's not an upfront trade in.

The $102 was what the Verizon website store quoted me for my device (specifically selecting the Note 8). Nothing broken or hosed up, just need to buy a new stylus. How do I get the higher offer?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Ceros_X posted:

The $102 was what the Verizon website store quoted me for my device (specifically selecting the Note 8). Nothing broken or hosed up, just need to buy a new stylus. How do I get the higher offer?

Bring it by a corporate store and they should do it. Technically the missing stylus could void the trade in, but i would overlook it, and I would think most people would overlook.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Duckman2008 posted:

I mean, I'm gonna bet the phones will be in pretty good supply, it's just not as big of a demand as last year due to the X coming out in November, not as good promos, etc. so probably just swap it Tuesday in a store, still quicker than shipping.

Thanks for all the info Duckman! One more annoying question: when I ordered online, it mentioned free returns - is that only if I ship it back? I'm guessing I'd have to pay the $35 to return it in store and order/purchase the larger size model, even if it's unopened.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

SourKraut posted:

Thanks for all the info Duckman! One more annoying question: when I ordered online, it mentioned free returns - is that only if I ship it back? I'm guessing I'd have to pay the $35 to return it in store and order/purchase the larger size model, even if it's unopened.

Restock fee is waived if the box is wrapped, so don't open it!

Also, otherwise usually yes, although I just did a return two days ago and the system waived the restock fee since it was purchased online. That was a first, but hopefully that means they set it up to work properly.

OMGMYSPLEEN
Jul 12, 2009

Rawwwwhiiiiide
College Slice
On my iPhone 8+, my network status changes from "Verizon" to "VzW" at random. I know when I'm on WiFi it will say VZW Wi-Fi because of WiFi calling, but this is happening while out on cell network (obviously, not saying Wi-Fi next to it).

What's that about?

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

My Pixel bounces between "VZW," "Verizon Wireless," and "Verizon" depending upon where I'm at.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Right now I'm on a plan with my wife and mom, and am thinking about adding my friend.

Current plan : 10 gb more everything. Looking at the bill, it's $80/mo for the 10gb plan, then $15/mo per our 3 phones as each of us are out of contract and have no device payments. So $125, plus another $6 for verizon surcharges and $11 in taxes.

If I added my friend and went to unlimited? that's what he wants to get and I'd want that too), what would the cost be? 4 smartphones. It seems like it's $180 which is just about the same as what we're paying right now, so do we come out ahead since we won't have to worry about going over data anymore?

edit: The 'hotspot' is capped at 600 kbps. Is that for any hotspotting from any phone, or is that for a separate device hotspot speed? It's useless at 600 kbps

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Oct 3, 2017

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
[quote="“mastershakeman”" post="“477013679”"]
Right now I’m on a plan with my wife and mom, and am thinking about adding my friend.

Current plan : 10 gb more everything. Looking at the bill, it’s $80/mo for the 10gb plan, then $15/mo per our 3 phones as each of us are out of contract and have no device payments. So $125, plus another $6 for verizon surcharges and $11 in taxes.

If I added my friend and went to unlimited? that’s what he wants to get and I’d want that too), what would the cost be? 4 smartphones. It seems like it’s $180 which is just about the same as what we’re paying right now, so do we come out ahead since we won’t have to worry about going over data anymore?

edit: The ‘hotspot’ is capped at 600 kbps. Is that for any hotspotting from any phone, or is that for a separate device hotspot speed? It’s useless at 600 kbps
[/quote]

Hi, few things :
1. your current plan you are correct on, $125 as a comparison. If he will put you over 10GB, obviously that plan doesn't make sense.

There are two unlimited plans. Both require autopay with checking account, or they're $5 more per line

Go unlimited: basically no hotspot and lower quality video. Also, throttling On congested towers (think rush hour and sporting events)

This is $40 a line for 4 lines, so it's $160 a month.

Beyond unlimited: 15GB hotspot per line, higher def video. Throttling on congested towers after 22GB (individually)
$50 per line, so $200.

So yeah, it just depends how important hotspot is to you, in my opinion. 10GB shared isn't a lot of data anymore, so while you get hotspot on your current plan, I would imagine you aren't currently using it a lot.

Only thing I can't quite comment on is how aggressive the throttling can be on congested towers and the video quality of go unlimited. I have the older unlimited plan and never hit 22GB, so I don't get throttled, and I have HD video as well. Personally, most people get the Go Unlimited and if they complain they don't come in store to complain (they usually would).

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
oh, the autopay discount is per line? that helps. is there a way to have the billing done to multiple places like sprint used to, so my friend wasn't stuck trying to send money to us?

basically for 8/line more (so like 10 after tax) I wouldn't have to worry about overages and could actually stream.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

mastershakeman posted:

oh, the autopay discount is per line? that helps.
The discount is $5/line, but (seeing the rest of your post) I'm pretty sure you can’t break it up to “ok autopay lines one and two but not three”.

Also thank goodness their caller ID trial just ended for me. TOLL FREE NUMBER and UNKNOWN CALLER aren’t very helpful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

mastershakeman posted:

oh, the autopay discount is per line? that helps. is there a way to have the billing done to multiple places like sprint used to, so my friend wasn't stuck trying to send money to us?

basically for 8/line more (so like 10 after tax) I wouldn't have to worry about overages and could actually stream.

Correct on billing, and unfortunately no way to set amounts on the autopay, or a split. So I would just recommend something like Venmo. That's what I do, could be worse.

• Locked thread