Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Difference being if they could mould a stupid shape into the intake piping and get 20% mpg improvement it's a selling point, not so with the safety strap

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
What about decent headers/exhaust extractors? Most manufacturers had sucky ones just due to cost.
I was blown away with the BMW, yeah, still cast headers but half decent and twin pipe through the exhaust. If they're selling a car for $80k+ they do it right.
But that era fords and other cheap marques were crap, and mazda rotaries just had a box when they run better with long primaries.

The vortex thing is poo poo, but as emissions and economy became more important they did spend the extra dollars. So not much gains from anything made well or in the last 15-20 yrs, but looking back, they put profit over performance/economy it is plain to see just in exhausts

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Sep 15, 2017

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

Fo3 posted:

What about decent headers/exhaust extractors? Most manufacturers had sucky ones just due to cost.
I was blown away with the BMW, yeah, still cast headers but half decent and twin pipe through the exhaust. If they're selling a car for $80k+ they do it right.
But that era fords and other cheap marques were crap, and mazda rotaries just had a box when they run better with long primaries.

The vortex thing is poo poo, but as emissions and economy became more important they did spend the extra dollars. So not much gains from anything made well or in the last 15-20 yrs, but looking back, they put profit over performance/economy it is plain to see just in exhausts

Behold! The quality engineered German headers of the Porsche 996!

High density, high strength booger welds included at no extra cost!

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

I was really loving impressed at just how over complicated and German that exhaust routing was until I remembered that it was a rear engine. :doh:

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

Dave Inc. posted:

The turbos have about the most simple exhaust, especially in comparison.

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters
Thats not as bad as the 914's with the heat exchanger/exhaust. Those drat things are worth more than the cars they are on its like 7k for oem. Even aftermarket its like 3.5 if you still want heat exchangers. They look like a real pain in the rear end to manufacture.

Imgur is acting weird but heres a link to aftermarket pipes 1k per side just for the pipe.

http://www.autoatlanta.com/Porsche-914-Heat-Exchangers-srch.html

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

DogonCrook posted:

Thats not as bad as the 914's with the heat exchanger/exhaust. Those drat things are worth more than the cars they are on its like 7k for oem. Even aftermarket its like 3.5 if you still want heat exchangers. They look like a real pain in the rear end to manufacture.

Imgur is acting weird but heres a link to aftermarket pipes 1k per side just for the pipe.

http://www.autoatlanta.com/Porsche-914-Heat-Exchangers-srch.html

I'm surprised, those are the same price per side as stainless exchangers for air cooled 911s. http://www.patrickmotorsports.com/part/ssi-exhaust-headers-heat-exchanger-set-911-32l-1984-1989/

I love heat exchangers, though, the outlet air is freaking hot.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Powershift posted:

i bought this to compliment Air Intake Chrome Open To Cone Air Filter due to
Fact
Spiral Wind flow is so much Better to Laminar Wind flow

The blade makes the air spin internally and its good
I like these one:

Easy install. But it didn't come with dire toons. Had to use common sense. (4 stars)

Installed it on a 2007 Toyota land cruiser, i think it made a small difference but had it on there for a few weeks when the propeller came off and one of the blades broke and went into the throttle control causing a $400 damage, it could be a much better product if the propellers were more secured to the center shaft, Not happy at all. (3 stars)

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

id' be interested to see what happens if you ran one in reverse!

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

tater_salad posted:

id' be interested to see what happens if you ran one in reverse!

Put one in the exhaust for an extra 10 pounds of forward thrust.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

Dave Inc. posted:

Ew. You'd think they'd do a better job with the runner length and collectors.

Oh well, if you buy a 911 just buy some headers from bbi or GMG or something.

jamal fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Sep 15, 2017

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Collateral Damage posted:

Easy install. But it didn't come with dire toons. Had to use common sense. (4 stars)

Whelp, already failed that last bit by buying the thing.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Collateral Damage posted:

wtf is a dire toon? I mean like, the bad guy from Roger Rabbit?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Memento posted:

wtf is a dire toon? I mean like, the bad guy from Roger Rabbit?

"Directions" + auto correct

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
Saw this in the OSHA thread and thought of folks here. Hopefully it didn't come from here.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

ĂÂ¢Ă‘Â€Ă¸ Ă¿Ă¾Ă»ĂÂ¾Ă‘ÂĂºĂ¸,
трø Ă¿Ă¾ трø Ă¿Ă¾Ă»ĂÂ¾Ă‘ÂĂºĂ¸

Dave Inc. posted:

The worst part about dropping one is getting the loving mufflers clear of the rear bumper. its heavy too. Deff needed another set of hands on the one I worked on.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Saw this in the OSHA thread and thought of folks here. Hopefully it didn't come from here.

I thought those were lug nut indicators at first :stare:

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Wait they're not?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Wait they're not?

Those are the holes in the wheel stretched to gently caress and back.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

:tviv:

I thought the same thing at first.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

I don't get how the wheel is still on the truck. Nothing is holding it on anymore is there?

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

I think the only thing that IS holding it on is whatever metal is jammed under the rim of the nut at this stage and its never had a reversing force put against it...

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.
For me that looked like a 10-lug wheel converted to 5-lug by drilling out the old lug holes and attaching a rear plate to it. Even the center hole seems wrong size.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
The image is 3700 pixels wide, just open it in a new tab and you'll see. It's a double wheel, and the wheel facing out is loving wrecked, and just holding on by tiny slivers of metal. Nothing has been drilled out, it's just hosed - Ferremit is right.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Since we're on the subject of lug nut indicators it seems like a good time to share a little factoid I found out not too long ago: the nicer ones are made with materials chosen to melt at particular temperatures, so you can spot rubbing brakes or overheating wheel bearings.

Probably something everyone already knew but I felt it was a neat little bit of smart design on such a mundane thing.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Ferremit posted:

I think the only thing that IS holding it on is whatever metal is jammed under the rim of the nut at this stage and its never had a reversing force put against it...

What's holding it on is... Not much, but there's not much forcing it off either. That's a Budd wheel, it's got separate nuts for the inner and outer wheel so the inner wheel is still firmly attached and bearing all the weight, acceleration and braking forces and the outer is just kinda jiggling and bouncing away.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

DogonCrook posted:

Yeah i guess that all goes to poo poo really fast. My buddy dropped his driveshaft on the freeway a year or two ago and luckily he didnt have this or a pole vault happen so i was curious.

Holy crap, that's got to be scary.

I've read about it happening from time to time, but I actually saw three pickups over the summer at random places around town that had dropped the rear, one on the freeway. Had never seen it in person before.

Garage2Roadtrip
Oct 27, 2016
What series of events needs to happen to get that outer wheel to enlarge/elongate like that? Improper torque allowing the wheel to move on the studs?

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Garage2Roadtrip posted:

What series of events needs to happen to get that outer wheel to enlarge/elongate like that? Improper torque allowing the wheel to move on the studs?

That or mud/rust/shmoo between the wheels not getting cleaned off when they're put together, usually. Works its way out over time and you lose your clamp load.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Shifty Pony posted:

Since we're on the subject of lug nut indicators it seems like a good time to share a little factoid I found out not too long ago: the nicer ones are made with materials chosen to melt at particular temperatures, so you can spot rubbing brakes or overheating wheel bearings.

Probably something everyone already knew but I felt it was a neat little bit of smart design on such a mundane thing.
Well, I didn't know that, so yeah, that's interesting.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
It has to be that the nuts weren't tightened enough. I remember a long time ago, there was someone who put on the spare on their Mercedes, but the spare comes with different lugs that are shorter. The person put the wheel on the standard lugs which were clearly way too long, and when the nut reached the end of the threads, there was still half an inch of lug between the nut and the wheel. When they drove away, the wheel was just banging away loosely on the lugs and stretched out the holes.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

Cojawfee posted:

It has to be that the nuts weren't tightened enough. I remember a long time ago, there was someone who put on the spare on their Mercedes, but the spare comes with different lugs that are shorter. The person put the wheel on the standard lugs which were clearly way too long, and when the nut reached the end of the threads, there was still half an inch of lug between the nut and the wheel. When they drove away, the wheel was just banging away loosely on the lugs and stretched out the holes.

To be fair, sounds like terrible design.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

SEKCobra posted:

Mercedes: even our lugnuts are special snowflakes

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

SEKCobra posted:

It's a very German solution to a problem where anyone normal would say "Just make that part of the spare thicker.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Cojawfee posted:

It's a very German solution to a problem where anyone normal would say "Just make that part of the spare thicker.

Manufacturers are squeezing spares into extremely tight spaces these days, especially Germans; I believe Mercedes is the one that has the sidewalls collapsed and you have to fill them roadside.

It's entirely possible that putting a half inch tall flange for the lugs would have meant re engineering the entire trunk area.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Enourmo posted:

Manufacturers are squeezing spares into extremely tight spaces these days, especially Germans; I believe Mercedes is the one that has the sidewalls collapsed and you have to fill them roadside.

It's entirely possible that putting a half inch tall flange for the lugs would have meant re engineering the entire trunk area.

might be more a fault of increasingly larger and wider tire sizes on luxury cars rather than dwindling trunk space.
Goddamn Altimas coming with space savers now.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Shifty Pony posted:

I actually had no drat clue. When I pull up next to a bus I spot them and am glad to see they are uniform. Thanks for sharing.

ET_375
Nov 20, 2013

Enourmo posted:

It well fits this thread, but yeah, reviving an old idea: the collapsible spare tire: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2znukoboOro

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

ET_375 posted:

It well fits this thread, but yeah, reviving an old idea: the collapsible spare tire: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2znukoboOro

Superior German Engineering®

Beetles used the spare tyre to pressurise the windscreen sprayer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Platystemon posted:

Superior German Engineering®

Beetles used the spare tyre to pressurise the windscreen sprayer.

What? Why? What if you've been using the sprayer and then need to use the spare tire?