Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I tried Stardew Valley and I found the pace as insufferably slow as every other harvest moon game without the fun characters of a rune factory game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Mahoning posted:

I think it's pretty clear that in 2018, in between any future big titles Nintendo has to announce, they'll probably dump a ton of NES, SNES, N64, and maybe even GC games monthly. There's no way they're gonna follow up the 2017 that they've had. Especially as far as first party goes. In the absence of that, virtual console is an easy win, especially to all the people that bought Switches but maybe never owned a Wii U or never bought anything on the VC for the Wii.

Guy Goodbody posted:

OK, A: maybe Kirby isn't in the same realm in your heart. And B: it's not like Kirby + whatever two VC title they put out that month = Mario.

Nintendo will probably be able to keep up the pace of releasing a full price retail game once a month well into 2018. They don't need VC. Especially because they'll still be manufacturing the NES and SNES classics, so most of the good games from those generations will already be available.

They are going to keep it up through 2019. 18 will probably be the start of a large wave of 3rd party games, get a new Mario Maker, and a few more enhanced Wii U ports.
2019 could have a new Mario Kart or some other huge franchise.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I'm ready to start continue demanding Wargroove.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Golf story when

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
I still can't believe that the recent Nintendo Direct not only included Octopath Traveller but also pulled the old "and you can download a demo of the game later today :buddy:" surprise on us.

And the Demo only made me want a full game even more.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004
Rayman owns, despite the loading times, which suck.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

WTF?!

http://nintendoeverything.com/nes-golf-hidden-within-switchs-firmware/

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

No I said golf STORY

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Star Fox Zero was good. It controlled excellently if you got over the learning curve. It felt like I was controlling some kind of crazy RC toy. The only thing I didn’t like was no multiplayer. Dogfights with those controls would have been awesome.

Star Fox Guard was also good and that’s another game I’m sad about Miiverse ending over for.:(

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

It'll just be commented-out debug code that someone stuck in as a general "does this work?" exercise during development.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

cheetah7071 posted:

I tried Stardew Valley and I found the pace as insufferably slow as every other harvest moon game without the fun characters of a rune factory game

Agreed. It's not anime enough, and it has a serious lack of unique character dialogue.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
How long does Nintendo produce special bundles? I want the Splatoon bundle but I'm probably not gonna get one until at least Mario comes out.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

If Metroid comes out along with Pokémon and they announce an Animal Crossing, along with the games we already know about, 2018 will be just as big as 2017. Then Retro will announce a new F-Zero for 2019 so we can truly know we are living in the end times

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!

Rolo posted:

How long does Nintendo produce special bundles? I want the Splatoon bundle but I'm probably not gonna get one until at least Mario comes out.

I'm sure whatever stock left on shelves is it for that game. So grab the bundle now if you want it. Walmart had it online still a couple days ago. Mario comes out in 1.5 months, so thats plenty of time to get tired of Splatoon and even dive into another game.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Guy Goodbody posted:

What is even the point of having designs this complicated if you literally never see them and in the game they're just little bobbleheads?

A better question is, why doesn't she have feet

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

FireMrshlBill posted:

I'm sure whatever stock left on shelves is it for that game. So grab the bundle now if you want it. Walmart had it online still a couple days ago. Mario comes out in 1.5 months, so thats plenty of time to get tired of Splatoon and even dive into another game.

I don't really even want splatoon, just the joycons that come with the bundle. Maybe I'll just hold out that they eventually sell them separately.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

raditts posted:

Don't worry about it, Quentin.

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

My big hope is that they put the Wii ports of Metroid Prime 1&2 on the Switch.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

Rolo posted:

I don't really even want splatoon, just the joycons that come with the bundle. Maybe I'll just hold out that they eventually sell them separately.

Ya, I'd just wait then. I am sure someone will sell skins if nothing else. They are releasing more cool looking joy cons anyway. The ones that come in the Mario bundle look cool. If I didn't have a Switch already, I would get that bundle (well, I did preorder it as a family-buy Xmas gift for my niece). Having a second set of joycons will probably be on your list down the road anyway and you can see if they have other colors you like, including the Splatoon ones hopefully.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

Ape Has Killed Ape posted:

My big hope is that they put the Wii ports of Metroid Prime 1&2 on the Switch.

I hope they put the Gamecube ports to get rid of motion controls. I have the trilogy on Wii but just can't stand the motion controls. So put the GC ports and then do a custom button config for Prime 3.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Mister Facetious posted:

Agreed. It's not anime enough, and it has a serious lack of unique character dialogue.

What's funny about this is I got a strong Chrono Trigger (The Original Anime Game) vibe from the art style the first time I played Stardew.

Rolo posted:

Those colors are sold individually in Japan at least, maybe Europe too. If you have no intention of ever playing Splatoon 2, no sense in paying $60 extra for a digital copy that may not even be resell-able.

enojy fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Sep 17, 2017

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

enojy posted:

What's funny about this is I got a strong Chrono Trigger (The Original Anime Game) vibe from the art style the first time I played Stardew.

I can kind of see it with the area/background art (less rigid about its adherence to right angles/tiles like RPGs of old), but not the characters or their portraits.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Tatsuta Age posted:

Golf story when

Either September 21 or September 29

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

raditts posted:

So they can have a Fire Emblem crossover

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Either September 21 or September 29

Can't wait! I miss the GBA Mario Golf on my SP.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

cheetah7071 posted:

Rune Factory 4 was insufferable though. Not sure what's fun about a 10 year old flirting with you, or a character whose entire identity is "narcolepsy lol"

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I dunno, a narcoleptic waifu sounds pretty hilarious.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Kiranamos posted:

Rune Factory 4 was insufferable though.

well I mean even if the characters were gimmicky I can at least tell you something about each of them, whereas 5 hours into Stardew Valley I knew nothing about any of them

quote:

10 year old flirting with you

oh you just hate anime I get it though I dunno why you bought an anime game in that case

(side note I legitimately have absolutely no idea who the hell you could possibly think looks 10 in the RF4 cast)

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I can handle anime (I like Fire Emblem) but Rune Factory 4’s artstyle completely turned me off on the game. Most of the characters look like preteens to me too.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

cheetah7071 posted:

well I mean even if the characters were gimmicky I can at least tell you something about each of them, whereas 5 hours into Stardew Valley I knew nothing about any of them

oh you just hate anime I get it though I dunno why you bought an anime game in that case

(side note I legitimately have absolutely no idea who the hell you could possibly think looks 10 in the RF4 cast)

Been watching some goon's LP of it, and the male protagonist looks barely twelve.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

cheetah7071 posted:

the only romance options in RF4 who don't look like children are already married

InFlames235
Jan 13, 2004

LIKE THE WAVES IN THE OCEAN I WILL DIG IN YOUR FAT AND SEARCH FOR YOUR CLITORIS, BUT I WON'T SLAM WHALE
Finally had the chance to play through the Project Octopath demo today and it was bad rear end af. I really like the art style and combat - the story seems like it could be a bit generic but honestly the gameplay seems like it'll more than makeup for that if that is the case.

Definitely looking forward to getting a release date. Pretty odd that they'd have a survey go out on something like this that seems so far in development already. Wonder if that's a bad omen that they don't quite know how to shape the game but hopefully just means they can adjust some small nitpicks and really produce a nice polished game. Count me in as a day one buy, though!

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

SeANMcBAY posted:

Star Fox Zero was good. It controlled excellently if you got over the learning curve. It felt like I was controlling some kind of crazy RC toy. The only thing I didn’t like was no multiplayer. Dogfights with those controls would have been awesome.

Star Fox Guard was also good and that’s another game I’m sad about Miiverse ending over for.:(

I hope that some person who is more talented than me creates an alternate miiverse similar to what they did to keep multiplayer alive for Wii games after Nintendo shut the servers down for those.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

raditts posted:

I hope that some person who is more talented than me creates an alternate miiverse similar to what they did to keep multiplayer alive for Wii games after Nintendo shut the servers down for those.

That's due to GameSpy running the servers (:rip:), it's not Nintendo's fault.

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

Rolo posted:

There are DIY options if Nintendo doesn't pull through.

https://www.amazon.com/BASSTOP-Port...=switch+basstop

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

GreenNight posted:

The worst part of Stardew hitting is gonna be the people complaining it didn't live up to the hype. It's a fun game, but man, people.

I think a big part of its success on Steam was there was basically 0 hype for it. It was one of those games that seemed to come out and snowball in popularity out of nowhere, but it's basically a SNES game.

It's also an extremely, extremely low impact game. It's seriously the most subdued game I have ever played. There's technically a scoring system and deadlines but the game is like "whatever lol just keep playing" and you can continue going as long as you want and nothing changes

I liked it because I was going through a pretty lovely time personally and it was nice to just wander around gathering fruits or whatever the hell

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Stardew is a "just 5 more minutes" game, because after you've finished a day you've come up with a load of stuff to do the next day so you just keep playing to clear that list then you make another list during that day and by the time you make the hard decision to actually stop playing for real this time you've missed 2 meals and should've gone to bed an hour ago.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

It's pretty much Harvest Moon: Back to Nature or 64. If you liked those you'll like it. It's not an incredible game, but it did what it set out to do and it did it well. I don't think I'd buy it a second time but it was great going through it at least once.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Basically there was a point where relationships/anime simulator took the front seat in Harvest Moon. I think it was some time during the GBA era. But before that, the farming was core and relationships were second, so Stardew is a throwback to those, despite some thought being put into the partner system. This is its strength

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Honestly haven't seen many reviews for NBA 2K18 thus far, but thought this was interesting

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZ9-tZqaMag

Switch version looks pretty decent? I'm def considering grabbing FIFA when it releases as I've always wanted to get into the series, but never had a PS to play it on.

• Locked thread