Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
What exactly happened that made everybody so pessimistic about Discovery? I haven't been keeping up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Caphi posted:

What exactly happened that made everybody so pessimistic about Discovery? I haven't been keeping up.

It's had a troubled production. The original showrunner, Bryan Fuller, was fired/quit over creative differences with the network. It's been delayed nearly a year. The only way to legally watch it in the US is CBS's terrible streaming service. They've got a review embargo up until the day it comes out.

Also, Trek fans are just generally tired of prequels since that's all the franchise has been doing for over a decade.

I've got low expectations but I hope it's good despite all this.

Pakled fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Sep 15, 2017

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Lol in the first AMA I asked an Orville question that got answered and got a bunch of people accusing me of being a studio plant

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Caphi posted:

Personally? Looks like another reboot, except this one's based on Abrams' video resume for Star Wars instead of actual Star Trek.

I expect an edgy, fresh Star Trek targeted at what a 50 year old studio exec roughly supposes millennials to be

Also, streaming only and it's another prequel.

Something in the same universe as TNG, DS9 and Voyager would rule. Hell, the federation's size would invite cultural conflicts between Earth and the Federation's periphery. They could do something with that

Accretionist fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Sep 16, 2017

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004
I loved the hell out of the pilot, and I hope it stays as fun and good throughout. It's like TNG with more realistic interpersonal relationships with a touch of DS9 conflicts. Anyone who thinks regular Joes schlepping around on a low priority ship wouldn't be joking around on the regular has never worked a blue collar job or been in the military. It's refreshing as gently caress in my Star Trek.
Because that's what it is. It's Star Trek.

Edit: also, come the gently caress on now, that tree trick was loving GREAT.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

If TOS was supposed to Hornblower in Space, but Orville ends up being a sort of Mister Roberts in Space, I'd be beyond thrilled.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Sash! posted:

Mister Roberts in Space

Today is a good day in the neighborhood.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

jeeves posted:

I wish he wouldn't have cast himself as the star. It would be like Roddenberry casting himself-- get a real actor in there jeez. There is something about his dopey face that just brings down my enjoyment for this show.

Yeah, he should've cast his wife as the second in command instead.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Caphi posted:

Well, for me it was when they mentioned that Fuller proposed it as having a "more heavily allegorical and complex plot" which they then said they mostly tossed out when he left.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

duz posted:

Yeah, he should've cast his wife as the second in command instead.

Girlfriend. He didn't divorce his first wife and marry her until after the show ended.

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe

The_Doctor posted:

Seth has done two Reddit AMAs today, the second off his own bat because the first was such a disaster. Apparently the PR company only wanted him answering questions about The Orville.

The second one is here.

Both AMA's are really entertaining for completely different reasons.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Mister Kingdom posted:

Look on the desk:

Godamnit. :doh:

Argyle
Jun 7, 2001

mllaneza posted:

Godamnit. :doh:

How do we know that's not Orville Redenbacher's plane?

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
I kinda wish the ex wife was the captain, and McFarlane was the first officer. She has more gravitas; whereas McFarlane feels Riker-y.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Mr. Fowl posted:

Well, for me it was when they mentioned that Fuller proposed it as having a "more heavily allegorical and complex plot" which they then said they mostly tossed out when he left.

Hannibal in Space, sign me the gently caress up :madmax:

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

I finally got a chance to watch the pilot episode of The Orville and I'm skipping about twelve pages in the thread and I have a few reactions.

1. It's competent, if very basic, sci-fi. For example, the time field thing is neat but its effects don't make a whole lot of sense from a "thinking it through" point of view, but whatever. That's not the major point of the story.

2. Oh my god this is TNG with the serial numbers filed off and the seriousness dial turned down a couple of notches.

3. The music is great, I love the full orchestra. Even if the happy music has a LOT in common with the music from Wing Commander. I mean a LOT: [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YsWcy2M_EgI&t=115s

Overall reaction: It isn't brilliant but it has a hell of a lot of potential. I'd give equal odds that this show crashes and burns after a few episodes vs. becoming something noteworthy.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

The Lord Bude posted:

I kinda wish the ex wife was the captain, and McFarlane was the first officer. She has more gravitas; whereas McFarlane feels Riker-y.

Hey, just wanted to let you know I'm also disappointed about Cortana. It's the main reason I disabled her on Windows 10 and didn't buy an Xbox One.

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

Caphi posted:

the told critics they wouldn't be allowed to review the show before it came out. This usually means a movie/game is complete poo poo.

Couple that with the fact that CBS is *only* airing (outside of the first episode) this show on their streaming service you'd think they'd want people saying how good the show is so people sign up. The fact that they're not means its probably not good.

I hope to be surprised but at this point expectations are low.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Lol in the first AMA I asked an Orville question that got answered and got a bunch of people accusing me of being a studio plant

Look for this guy playing a ficus crewman in the next episode.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Hannibal in Space, sign me the gently caress up :madmax:

Nobody at CBS saw a Hannibal episode before so when the first Discovery episode was cosmic penises ejaculating in slow-motion to violins they started panicking.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Bruceski posted:

Look for this guy playing a ficus crewman in the next episode.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Just saw a preview clip of the next episode where Grayson replicates a cannabis edible "just in case". This truly is a utopian future

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

The Lord Bude posted:

This would rule, btw.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Discovery hasn't aired yet

And yet we still know the answer.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
So they've released a couple of scenes from the next ep. One is some so-so Seth riffing, and the other is this really good character moment for Alara and Bortus. I like it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dh5tmI1r-vM

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NC-Toz6zw48

Holy gently caress Jeffery Tambor is playing Mercer's dad

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

The_Doctor posted:

So they've released a couple of scenes from the next ep. One is some so-so Seth riffing, and the other is this really good character moment for Alara and Bortus. I like it!

I... wow that was legit great!

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!
CALLING IT: The next episode will include a reference to The Menagerie/The Cage.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

The_Doctor posted:

Alara is shaping up to be my favorite character

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

The_Doctor posted:

Yeah this is the funny stuff on the show. The jokes are crap, but playing out the ridiculous scenarios Star Trek regularly puts its characters into, for laughs, is good and funny. Remember the scene in Galaxy Quest with the awful food? I can't remember any of the jokes in that scene but the horrible alien food and the genuine solicitude of the hosts were funny and memorable.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Finally watched the premiere and liked it. I'm not really following social media about it but apparently critics hate it. My wife hates it, because "it's dumb." But she loves Doctor Who and I don't see this as any dumber than that? My biggest criticism would be it's so similar to Star Trek that it's begging the comparison too much but otherwise it's just a lighthearted space show.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Gynovore posted:

CALLING IT: The next episode will include a reference to The Menagerie/The Cage.

"What are 'Things That Will Never Be Said About Discovery' Alex?"

"Correct!"

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

The pilot didn't exactly blow me away (I feel like if it was made in the 90's/early 2000's, it would have been lost in the shuffle of similar light, usually syndicated genre fare), but drat if it didn't just feel good to watch a new episode of something with this sort of tone again. After all the horrible politics and dark serialized television that seem to dominate my media landscape (and the promise that new Star Trek will be no escape from it all), it was just a wave a relief to watch a self-contained story where earnest heroes banter and save the day in brightly-lit beige space corridors again.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I wonder if the Seth factor was removed how much people would hate it.

I liked it enough, i hate TV Trek of any generation

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Rocksicles posted:

I'm here for the Trek not for the Seth so it might even improve it in my mind

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

cheetah7071 posted:

I'm here for the Trek not for the Seth so it might even improve it in my mind

I kept reading it described as "funny Trek" but that sets the wrong expectation IMO. It's more "whimsical, down to earth, Trek," because it's not really a LOL comedy.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Rocksicles posted:

On one hand, yeah, having someone else write the jokes and play the main character would probably improve the show, but on the other hand, the Seth factor is everything in the show. This show is an incredible act of self-indulgence on part of Seth Macfarlane. Not even just the casting of him as the main character, everything from the characters to the art design to the costumes to the crew were designed to live out Seth's fantasy of making new episodes of one of his favorite shows. I don't think anyone else has enough pull with a major network to get "let's make Star Trek TNG in 2017" greenlit.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Sounds like a textbook case of "oval office if you do and oval office if you don't"

Second Sun
Apr 6, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
First ep was really enjoyable. Think people were automatically predisposed to hating it and nothing was going to change their mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!
If Seth uses his powers to make a popular-enough-to-run-and-run NotTrek franchise, then at the end of season 2 or whatever has his own character die then he will always and forever be A Good Boy.