Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

The battle royale mode is fun. Way more fun than it has any reason to be.
Compared to PUBG, games are faster, less tedious and with more variety since you can build.

I don't know if I want any rewards tied to it, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me
Do you respawn if you die? Or do you just leave and go to another game?

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

Skandranon posted:

Do you respawn if you die? Or do you just leave and go to another game?

Leave and go to another game.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

BadLlama posted:

I mean I only made it to the second zone for PVE and I had fun but the thing that made me stop playing was basically their monetization scheme with the progression slamming you in the balls. I thought the core game minus that was still pretty drat good.

Same. I hit the high 20's in power level and realized I just didn't have an easy way to get the schematic XP I needed to level any of my weapons / traps at a reasonable rate. I figure I'll revisit it at some point once they clean some things up. The core game is fine otherwise.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

Kalli posted:

Same. I hit the high 20's in power level and realized I just didn't have an easy way to get the schematic XP I needed to level any of my weapons / traps at a reasonable rate. I figure I'll revisit it at some point once they clean some things up. The core game is fine otherwise.

Play lots of SSD missions, get mini llamas. Transform these into green then blue weapon schematics.

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

The true enemy of humanity is disorder.
Are there cheap keys for this game yet?

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

https://gfycat.com/ThoroughEarnestGoldeneye

Came from a sky-ramp to the roof, broke in and fought with the other guy. I escaped with 1 hp and hid.
Then I realized I have one RPG left...

People don't build much.
Yes, building gives away activity - but it cuts both ways. Twice that game I got kills by building myself a really obvious sniper tower and then hiding beneath it near another structure. Folks take potshots at the lovely wood structure (2 sniper bullets breaks a wall) and I clean them out.

You can also throw up a wall if you're caught out in the open far quicker than running to cover. Alter the playfield to suit your weapons and position.

Have a shotgun and getting sniped? Zigzag towards the sniper while throwing up walls ahead. Even a single bullet blocked is enough time to run another tile or two.

RPG's are absolutely lethal - but incredibly slow. It's possible to quickly throw up a wall in front of oncoming rockets and avoid being gibbed.
So far as I can tell they do around 150 damage - given that I lived through one with full shield, ended up with no shield and around half my health.

Not sure about grenade damage but they are deadly within a respectable radius.

Still trying to figure out how the bullets behave. Snipers have noticeable travel time and bullet drop, but do a large chunk - around 75 on a bodyshot.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

DarkDobe posted:

https://gfycat.com/ThoroughEarnestGoldeneye

Came from a sky-ramp to the roof, broke in and fought with the other guy. I escaped with 1 hp and hid.
Then I realized I have one RPG left...

People don't build much.
Yes, building gives away activity - but it cuts both ways. Twice that game I got kills by building myself a really obvious sniper tower and then hiding beneath it near another structure. Folks take potshots at the lovely wood structure (2 sniper bullets breaks a wall) and I clean them out.

You can also throw up a wall if you're caught out in the open far quicker than running to cover. Alter the playfield to suit your weapons and position.

Have a shotgun and getting sniped? Zigzag towards the sniper while throwing up walls ahead. Even a single bullet blocked is enough time to run another tile or two.

RPG's are absolutely lethal - but incredibly slow. It's possible to quickly throw up a wall in front of oncoming rockets and avoid being gibbed.
So far as I can tell they do around 150 damage - given that I lived through one with full shield, ended up with no shield and around half my health.

Not sure about grenade damage but they are deadly within a respectable radius.

Still trying to figure out how the bullets behave. Snipers have noticeable travel time and bullet drop, but do a large chunk - around 75 on a bodyshot.

Your going to be really disappointed when someone blows up the foundation to your tower and you fall to your death.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

ColHannibal posted:

Your going to be really disappointed when someone blows up the foundation to your tower and you fall to your death.

I'm pretty sure he said "and then hiding beneath it near another structure.", indicating the entire sniper tower is simply a decoy that he is not actually in.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Skandranon posted:

I'm pretty sure he said "and then hiding beneath it near another structure.", indicating the entire sniper tower is simply a decoy that he is not actually in.

Decoys are where it's at.

That and it really doesn't cost much more resource to build up something that's held up in more than once place.

A floor with walls on opposite tile edges is almost immune to a single explosion, for example - it can usually take out two walls that meet at a corner, but there is not enough splash to kill opposite walls.

One thing I need to test is if walls (natural and player built) actually BLOCK splash damage - so far as I can tell they do, so a wall with 1 hp remaining is as effective against an RPG as one with full health - but I am not certain of this. This can make or break a fight against an RPG wielder, though the things are most effective at very close ranges, otherwise they can usually just be outrun.

One of my favourite methods now to advance into fire is to drop full-wall-doors infront of you.

Plonk it down, open the door, drop the next door-wall, advance to the next wall - repeat.

That said, take some time after that initial murder spree to harvest yourself a hundred or two resource - even wood works. Metal and brick are good for the final circle when you need stuff to survive being shot.

DarkDobe fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Sep 14, 2017

Bruc
May 30, 2006
I sort of rolled my eyes when I saw they added PUBG mode to this game but I think I actually prefer Fortnite BR to PUBG. Really hoping they never add prone to the game and cannot wait for vehicles and squads to be added.

On a related note for people that have played both how does the size of this map compare to PUBGs? it feels smaller to me but I am really bad at judging things like that.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Bruc posted:

I sort of rolled my eyes when I saw they added PUBG mode to this game but I think I actually prefer Fortnite BR to PUBG. Really hoping they never add prone to the game and cannot wait for vehicles and squads to be added.

On a related note for people that have played both how does the size of this map compare to PUBGs? it feels smaller to me but I am really bad at judging things like that.

Definitely smaller. I feel like you could probably get across this map in a minute with a decent speed vehicle. It works if everyone has to be on foot but I think adding vehicles to this same map would be a problem.

Bruc
May 30, 2006
Yea that's the feeling I was getting, I can't wait for vehicles regardless though. Bonus points if they just add the vehicles from UT2k4 instead of boring jeeps and stuff.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Deffo smaller and it is better for it.
Playing PUBG where you have 30 minutes ooooooof nothing is so boring.

Cool I'm gonna play an inventory simulator and then run around a boring landscape for a while OOPS I got sniped by someone I couldn't have possibly seen.

Cooool.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester

Inzombiac posted:

Deffo smaller and it is better for it.
Playing PUBG where you have 30 minutes ooooooof nothing is so boring.

Cool I'm gonna play an inventory simulator and then run around a boring landscape for a while OOPS I got sniped by someone I couldn't have possibly seen.

Cooool.

I feel like this one is a bit TOO small though.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Leif. posted:

I feel like this one is a bit TOO small though.

Considering the lack of vehicles (currently) I think it is just right.
Some nice rough fights at start to filter out the winners, and then the collapse onto some random farm or tree in the middle of nowhere for the highlander showdown.

I've had very few games that I've managed to go without seeing anyone between the start and 'final' area - usually there's at least a good handful of encounters through that mid-game where PUBG tends to suffer for utter boredom.
This is doubly enjoyable in that you can hear any fights going down and run there in time to partake meaningfully: usually to murder the winner, or to get into a new fight with the other vultures.

Would be awful to have to run across a map much bigger than what we have right now.
Of course they could also add new deployables, even things like the jump pads or long range launch pads (like Planetside for example) for travel features that don't involve vehicles and let you do some shenanigans.

Bernardo Orel
Sep 2, 2011

They could add some sort of warning to the bluglo siphons so idiots like me don't accidentally press the "collect now" instead of "start another phase" button.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.
They're on opposite sides and look very different.

hey welcome to the show!
Jan 22, 2014

nobody loves me
I was keeping an eye on this for a while.
I ultimately decided that I wasn't going to play this because of all the PTW garbage loot crates.
But the battle grounds mode makes me interested in the game again.

I don't know... I'm up in the air on this now.

Sputnik
Jul 21, 2003

I felt like a ninja, and my kung-fu was strong.

hey welcome to the show! posted:

I was keeping an eye on this for a while.
I ultimately decided that I wasn't going to play this because of all the PTW garbage loot crates.
But the battle grounds mode makes me interested in the game again.

I don't know... I'm up in the air on this now.

After playing this game for nearly two months, I can say that it is a fun game with some of the thickest layers of mobile gacha poo poo I have ever seen. That said, there are these rare moments where the devs appear not to hate us for brief snippets of time and either give us something interesting to do (I rather like mutant storms) or give us free poo poo as a shallow apology for all the gacha.

As a public service announcement, the reward for doing a level 15 14-day Survive The Storm is some top-tier perfection.

hey welcome to the show!
Jan 22, 2014

nobody loves me
That's interesting to hear. I'm still on the fence, but then again, I do have a year before this game goes free to play.

Who knows what will change by then.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

That's interesting to hear. I'm still on the fence, but then again, I do have a year before this game goes free to play.

That's not the direction things are currently going but who knows there is potential here.

Turd Herder
May 21, 2008

BALLCOCK BALLCOCK BALLCOCK BALLCOCK
The games on sale right now till the 19th. Is the Standard edition fine. Or is the deluxe edition make the quality of life better in game?

https://www.epicgames.com/fortnite/en-US/buy-now/standard

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

The true enemy of humanity is disorder.

I'm telling every fence sitter I know to just wait it out. It's going to be free, the greatest test opportunity to see if you want to give it money.

socialsecurity posted:

That's not the direction things are currently going but who knows there is potential here.

By 'direction' are you referring to it going Free2Play? Because that isn't doom and glooming from people unhappy with the game, the Devs have literally announced and set a rough date for its F2P release. Its been their intention from the start.

a cock shaped fruit fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Sep 18, 2017

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

Thanks to a goon and this thread I got a friend code for cheap, so I don't feel so bad paying for a game that's going to go F2P before to long. And if getting it for cheap now means I get lamas every day, forever, well then gently caress yeah. That's probably worth the price of admission, assuming I play it for more than a week.

So far I've had a fuckload of fun. The shooting things part of the game plays really well, and the procedurally generated maps make every game feel different enough to keep me amused. That said, it's one hell of a grind, and I'm swimming in a ton of poo poo I'll probably never use but I don't know what to throw away yet. And jesus gently caress why does coal gotta be rare, it's the biggest thing holding me back from swimming in guns i want to use.

Also. wtf should I be using in battle royale? So far shot guns seem like the only acceptable answer, assault rifles aint worth a gently caress.

Sammus fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Sep 18, 2017

PITT
Sep 21, 2004
MISTER
Coal is pretty common, just check caves and also break the fireplace in houses. Whats REALLY going to be limiting you is rotating gizmos, so make sure you are looting every toolbox and chest you find too.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
The biggest problem is pure drops of rain, you need so god drat much to evolve weapons, heros and survivor squads.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

PITT posted:

Coal is pretty common, just check caves and also break the fireplace in houses. Whats REALLY going to be limiting you is rotating gizmos, so make sure you are looting every toolbox and chest you find too.

I'm not to the point where I use gizmos yet, so i have a few just chilling in my backpack awaiting the day... I've had decent luck finding coal deposits in caves, its just when I'm on suburban maps caves are nonexistent. Thanks for the tip, i'll start smashing them. As for gizmos, I'm not really using them yet, but I'll take your advice to heart and rummage through every toolbox and chest I see.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.
If you get a good legendary weapon I'd mostly just use that once you're past early plankerton since there's a storm chest on basically every map and that's always at least one energy cell per map. Epics cost 3 rotating gizmos, which is oddly a bit harder to get every map.

Also search fireplaces in houses for coal. And then smash them if you feel like it.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Kylra posted:

If you get a good legendary weapon I'd mostly just use that once you're past early plankerton since there's a storm chest on basically every map and that's always at least one energy cell per map. Epics cost 3 rotating gizmos, which is oddly a bit harder to get every map.

Also search fireplaces in houses for coal. And then smash them if you feel like it.

In this vein, Bacon is my most precious resource (and fibrous herbs, but gently caress those forever)
Places to look for bacon are generally the most disgusting:
Dog Houses - Loot them, then smash them for guaranteed bacon.
Out Houses - Loot them for bacon
Toilets and bathroom fixtures - Lootable for bacon

Why bacon? Gas traps and energy ammo. Maybe other uses but those two eat a lot.

Bakalakadaka
Sep 18, 2004

I love toilet bacon.

Also I did a 14 day level 40 survive the storm and it wasn't actually that bad it just took 5 hours. 750 storm tickets feels low for that kind of time but whatever. If there were more significant rewards or you could fast forward the daytime parts it'd be a lot better.

diapermeat
Feb 10, 2009

Turd Herder posted:

The games on sale right now till the 19th. Is the Standard edition fine. Or is the deluxe edition make the quality of life better in game?

Yeah - I was wondering this same thing.

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

Turd Herder posted:

The deluxe edition starts you off with 8 rare heroes and some extra loot. In a nutahell this means the following:

-X extra llamas, more llamas = more RNG rolled items, like Diablo 3, except much slower to farm the F2P way (max 2 llamas per day with full F2P play).
-8 rare heroes. This basically means you'll have 2 heroes of each class. 2 different soldiers, 2 different constructors etc.. Meaning you can start playing what you might enjoy more, instead of starting with a basic soldier and hoping you get the right hero from a llama.

Personally, I'd buy the standard first, then upgrade if you like the game. That's how I did it anyway, worked fine.

Deluxe definitely gives a lot of decent items, but the longer you wait the less valuable it becomes.

No point in buying it if you already have all the heroes from F2P Llamas.

E: you start with 200 inventory space (different than in-game bags), which is 100% limited to special events like we got 20 inventory space on the first month anniversary. That and buying the more expensive game packs, like Deluxe, Super Deluxe etc..

And trust me, only having 200 inventory spots is pretty aids later on.

E2: Even heroes/survivors that you currently use take spots from your inventory. Just filling all your 8 squads with 8 survivors each already is 25% ofyour inventory. But again, I'd say get a feel for the game first, maybe upgrade later.

Seditiar fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Sep 18, 2017

PITT
Sep 21, 2004
MISTER
I'm pretty sure the expedition reward that looks like a red toolbox called "crafting materials" is a decent source of bacon.

Turd Herder
May 21, 2008

BALLCOCK BALLCOCK BALLCOCK BALLCOCK

Seditiar posted:

The deluxe edition starts you off with 8 rare heroes and some extra loot. In a nutahell this means the following:

-X extra llamas, more llamas = more RNG rolled items, like Diablo 3, except much slower to farm the F2P way (max 2 llamas per day with full F2P play).
-8 rare heroes. This basically means you'll have 2 heroes of each class. 2 different soldiers, 2 different constructors etc.. Meaning you can start playing what you might enjoy more, instead of starting with a basic soldier and hoping you get the right hero from a llama.

Personally, I'd buy the standard first, then upgrade if you like the game. That's how I did it anyway, worked fine.

Deluxe definitely gives a lot of decent items, but the longer you wait the less valuable it becomes.

No point in buying it if you already have all the heroes from F2P Llamas.

E: you start with 200 inventory space (different than in-game bags), which is 100% limited to special events like we got 20 inventory space on the first month anniversary. That and buying the more expensive game packs, like Deluxe, Super Deluxe etc..

And trust me, only having 200 inventory spots is pretty aids later on.

E2: Even heroes/survivors that you currently use take spots from your inventory. Just filling all your 8 squads with 8 survivors each already is 25% ofyour inventory. But again, I'd say get a feel for the game first, maybe upgrade later.

I picked up deluxe since it seeems to hep the quality of life in game.

Thanks

Ghetto SuperCzar
Feb 20, 2005

Got a legendary vanguard southie from the box today, is that good? I'm really bad at this.

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.
Yeah, Vanguard Southie is really good. Doesn't have the perk that shows you loot however he can move around the map super quick due to his dash stopping your energy from depleting, and his fist attack has a really low cooldown which means you can pretty much take a direct route to anywhere you want to go (the fist attack is for going through the middle of buildings, not for attacking enemies.)

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Holy poo poo the mission to deploy 5 See-bots what a bullshit mission. Is there any way to do more than 1 per mission?

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Elendil004 posted:

Holy poo poo the mission to deploy 5 See-bots what a bullshit mission. Is there any way to do more than 1 per mission?

Higher level rescue the survivor missions sometimes have two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Great Beer posted:

Higher level rescue the survivor missions sometimes have two.

Oh it's just a random spawn with the mission so I got all 5 in one shot. Poorly worded.

• Locked thread