Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Shooting Blanks posted:

I still want to know what the gently caress that black thing is.

Plum maybe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Shooting Blanks posted:

I still want to know what the gently caress that black thing is.

Don't be racist.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

That was my only thought.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

after firsthand witnessing things like "hey so this other bartender the other night made me this drink i really liked but i don't remember it, can you make it for me?" i'm willing to believe that a not insignificant percentage of bar consumers don't have a clue what they're doing

Cryptozoology
Jul 12, 2010
gently caress Hasselback potatoes

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

So for all the bartenders out there, you all have a muddler when I stroll in and ask for an Old Fashioned?

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

You don't need a muddler for an old fashioned.

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

Shooting Blanks posted:

You don't need a muddler for an old fashioned.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Colostomy Bag posted:

So for all the bartenders out there, you all have a muddler when I stroll in and ask for an Old Fashioned?

What are you muddling? The simple syrup, the bitters, or the bourbon? Because that's all that is in it. Also, what bar that isn't a college shithole doesn't have a muddler?

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Hmmmm, thought you needed to muddle the orange and cherries.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Colostomy Bag posted:

The orange and cherry - if you even expect to get them - should be the garnish. It's called a flag.

https://www.supercall.com/how-to/how-to-make-a-fruit-flag-cocktail-garnish

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Now I'm imagining an old fashioned but mostly made of orange and cherry flesh mashed together into a pulp and it's eaten with a spoon.

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

I don't use simple for my old fashioned, muddle the orange with a raw sugar cube and garnish with a cherry. It's less of an old fashioned proper, but it's a ~100 year tradition at my club that everyone expects. Shrug.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
you sick fucks have me brainstorming Old Fashioned creme brulee now.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Willie Tomg posted:

1) Eat half a creme brulee

2) Fill the void with bourbon

3) Drink the bourbon

4) Fill the void with bourbon

5) The void will never be filled. Repeat until dead.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Old Fashioned creme brulee sounds fantastic. My girlfriend and I made Old Fashioned jello shots for my family last year: orange jello with bourbon, and a dash of bitters and a Luxardo cherry in each one. They were delicious.

The Old Fashioned is a cocktail that people often disagree on, but the most agreeable recipe I've found is as follows:

1 sugar cube or 1/4oz demerara simple syrup
2oz bourbon or rye
2 dashes Angostura bitters

Muddle the sugar cube, if using, in a double rocks glass with a splash of still water. Add other ingredients along with a strip of orange peel and a large ice cube. Stir until cold. Garnish with a maraschino cherry if desired.

Muddling the orange and cherry became popular in the 80s and 90s when the trend in cocktails was for everything to be sweet and fruity. Making the cocktail in the method I've laid out allows the base spirit to speak for itself, which I believe is the original intent of the drink.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Willie Tomg posted:

I was tilting towards a frozen treat like a sorbet or shaved ice.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Willie Tomg posted:

Flame it tableside and this would be a fantastic presentation.

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

We ran an Old Fashioned souffle at one point. Luxardo+Angostura bitters base, bourbon ice cream, orange/Grand Marnier caramel in the bottom of the ramakin.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH

Bussamove posted:

4) Fill the void with bourbon

5) The void will never be filled. Repeat until dead.

FTFY.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Willie Tomg posted:

Do a pork belly old fashioned instead.

Base of bourbon and orange juice reduction
Cube of braised pork belly topped with crisped skin and caramelized sugar
Dash of bitters on the skin.
Garnish with dried orange, comb honey (with comb) and a loving flower of something pretty.

Serve with many old fashions that don't have any loving muddled orange and cherries (they can have some orange peel though, that's fine).

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

What are you muddling? The simple syrup, the bitters, or the bourbon? Because that's all that is in it. Also, what bar that isn't a college shithole doesn't have a muddler?

if you were using a sugar cube/bitters rather than simple (which I've never used :shrug: I prefer demerara) then you at least need to be stirring. Muddling is maybe a bit over-kill. Also cherries suck in them, orange twists are the light - but do not need to be muddled imo.

no bar I ever worked in lacked a muddler - and I definitely worked in a few poo poo holes.

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

Republicans posted:

Now I'm imagining an old fashioned but mostly made of orange and cherry flesh mashed together into a pulp and it's eaten with a spoon.

I linked this earlier, but I feel like no one clicked on it because no one commented in horror. Watch the video.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Naelyan posted:

I linked this earlier, but I feel like no one clicked on it because no one commented in horror. Watch the video.

the gently caress is this poo poo

what even is happening

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Naelyan posted:

We all know it's awful. I try to pretend it doesn't exist.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
Like any one of you would turn down a pint of Jim Beam poured by a cute bubbly blonde in a fishnet top.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
man I can put on my own fishnet and pour my own jimmy

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Willie Tomg posted:

Like any one of you would turn down a pint of Jim Beam poured by a cute bubbly blonde in a fishnet top.

she's not a blonde tho

JawKnee posted:

man I can put on my own fishnet and pour my own jimmy

but really this

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

Naelyan posted:

I'm glad that this video informed me of the error of my ways, as a Canadian. I thought imperial Oz were the equivalent of, like, almost a shotglass. Now I know they're like a cup, how foolish of me!

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

If you don't serve me a pint glass of Jim I will one-star Yelp you so hard.

I had to explain to someone once that no, you can't have a pint of Jameson and no, you didn't totally get it here last time.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Bussamove posted:

If you don't serve me a pint glass of Jim I will one-star Yelp you so hard.

I had to explain to someone once that no, you can't have a pint of Jameson and no, you didn't totally get it here last time.

Right they got 2 pints last time. They were trying to be responsible this time around.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

I'll have one pitcher of Jameson, neat.

E: On second thought float one sad ice cube in there it really brings out the flavor.

Bussamove fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Sep 17, 2017

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Anyone else get a weird sense of satisfaction when scraping caked-on grease from the sides of a fryer and it comes off in those long, clean strips?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Republicans posted:

Anyone else get a weird sense of satisfaction when scraping caked-on grease from the sides of a fryer and it comes off in those long, clean strips?

So gross yet so awesome?

Irving
Jun 21, 2003

Colostomy Bag posted:

Which part of Wisconsin are you from?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-ZHkZzdjBk

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

iospace posted:

So gross yet so awesome?

That and it kinda reminds me of that Eddie Izzard bit about when you saw a plank of wood and how when you get to the middle part it feels good.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Naelyan posted:

Jesus.

Now I need this just to cleanse my palate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJV-O1e10z8

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

Hauki posted:

the gently caress is this poo poo

what even is happening

This right here is the correct response. Thanks all. I was laughing for a solid couple hours when I saw this last week. I needed to share.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Naelyan posted:

i just kinda assumed it was an obvious joke

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Republicans posted:

That and it kinda reminds me of that Eddie Izzard bit about when you saw a plank of wood and how when you get to the middle part it feels good.

God he's good. I can vaguely recall that bit, but it's been so long.