Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
The brownie recipe over there looks pretty good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
:filez::filez::filez:

America's Test Kitchen posted:

When it came to developing a vegan version of the classic chocolate chip cookie, we'd settle for nothing less than perfection; the recipe had to produce a cookie that would be moist and chewy on the inside and crisp at the edges, with deep notes of toffee. We started by baking 11 popular recipes, and we were shocked at the assortment of hockey pucks in front of us. Some cookies didn't spread at all, while others melted into greasy wafers; some tasted like cardboard, while others had funky off-flavors; and some were gelatinous, while others crumbled apart. We had our work cut out for us. Starting with the test kitchen's classic recipe, we removed the egg and found that we simply didn't need a substitute for it. While many cookie recipes call for a mix of white and brown sugars, we opted to use all brown; it gave the cookies a richer flavor and its moisture provided a softer center. But tasters wanted more chew. As it turned out, to achieve a chewier cookie, we had to leave it alone. Letting the mixed dough rest for 1 to 4 hours (no longer) gives the proteins and starches in the flour a jump start at breaking down; meanwhile, the sugar dissolves, hydrates, and later retains this moisture better during baking, preventing the cookie from becoming brittle. Lastly, the surprising addition of a little almond butter added the toffee-like richness that butter typically provides a cookie. 

Not all semisweet chocolate chips are vegan, so check ingredient lists carefully. Use processed almond butter for the best texture; natural almond butter will make the cookies too greasy, and they will spread too much.

Makes 16 cookies

2 cups (10 ounces) all-purpose flour
1½ teaspoons baking powder
¼ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
1⅓ cups packed (9⅓ ounces) organic light brown sugar
½ cup coconut oil, melted and cooled
6 tablespoons water, room temperature
⅓ cup unsalted creamy almond butter
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1¼ cups (7½ ounces) semisweet chocolate chips or chunks

1. Whisk flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt together in bowl. Whisk sugar, melted oil, water, almond butter, and vanilla in large bowl until well combined and smooth. Using rubber spatula, stir flour mixture into oil mixture until just combined; fold in chocolate chips.
2. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and let rest at room temperature for at least 1 hour or up to 4 hours. (Dough can be refrigerated for up to 24 hours; let sit at room temperature for 30 minutes before portioning.)
3. Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 350 degrees. Line 2 rimmed baking sheets with parchment paper. Divide dough into 16 portions, each about 3 tablespoons, then arrange dough mounds 2 inches apart on prepared sheets.
4. Bake, 1 sheet at a time, until light golden and edges have begun to set but centers are still soft, 12 to 14 minutes, rotating sheet halfway through baking. Let cookies cool completely on sheet. Serve. (Cookies can be stored at room temperature for up to 3 days.)

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Jul 15, 2017

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009

XenJ posted:

Thats a nice recipe but i would change for me the vanilla extract to real vanilla if you have a good store it costes nearly the same and you can use the empty vanilla pod to pimp your coffee (If you use a french press).
The suggar i would change to an coconut blossom sugar because the index of this sugar is only at 40% but the taste and sweetness is nearly the same.

Thank you for the link.

Aquestion at last please. What is the general thread you wrote about?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3465868

It's the general chat thread for this subforum. I wouldn't recommend reading through the whole thing- just go to the last page and keep up on new posts.

XenJ
Aug 1, 2014

CrazySalamander posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3465868

It's the general chat thread for this subforum. I wouldn't recommend reading through the whole thing- just go to the last page and keep up on new posts.

Ah ok thx ... I use the forum mostly with the app so its sometimes hard to find if you joind a thread with a link. Or I' just too stupid ggg

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

I have been vegetarian for almost 2 years now. I am going go vegan since I don't eat dairy or egg products at all either. What are some types of food that have dairy or egg in it that are otherwise unnoticeable?

Major Ryan
May 11, 2008

Completely blank

Ulio posted:

I have been vegetarian for almost 2 years now. I am going go vegan since I don't eat dairy or egg products at all either. What are some types of food that have dairy or egg in it that are otherwise unnoticeable?

Virtually anything unfortunately; it's a case of checking the ingredients on a lot of stuff. You'll find whey powder cropping up in a lot of processed foods, crisps, soups and sauces for example. In terms of things that aren't vegan that you might think should be - quorn is the obvious one since it's egg based (although they now have a vegan range and it's clearly labeled as such). Particularly annoyed a few years back to find milk in tropical fruit juice in place (presumably) of coconut. Didn't buy that again...

Up to you whether you have an issue with 'may contain traces of...' - personally that doesn't bother me if it otherwise looks OK, but that seems to put some manufacturers off labeling a product as vegan.

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever

Ulio posted:

You will develop some sort of eagle eye when you are reading the ingredient label on stuff to see if it's vegan or not.

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?
Atleast in Europe it's pretty easy to see if something is vegetarian instead of vegan since the difference is mostly allergens which are bolded in the ingredient lists.

reitetsu
Sep 27, 2009

Should you find yourself here one day... In accordance with your crimes, you can rest assured I will give you the treatment you deserve.

General Emergency posted:

Atleast in Europe it's pretty easy to see if something is vegetarian instead of vegan since the difference is mostly allergens which are bolded in the ingredient lists.

I've noticed that on imported foods! I wish we did that in the US, anything to give my own ingredient eagle eye a boost. It's always so disheartening when I get to the end of a list and there's beef stock or some nonsense there.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
It's been a while. Another food dump of stuff I've taken pictures of:

Delicious tamale pie. Dough recipe from here with my own black bean chipotle filling.

Qiang Xi Nan Hua Cai 熗西南花菜 / Stir-Fried Broccoli with Chili and Sichuan Pepper from this book, which has a lot of excellent vegan recipes.

Smashed cucumber salad, from the same book I think.

Bear's paw tofu, from that book.

Granola!

My first time making potato chips. I'm still figuring out the process and I think it might be more work than it's worth, but it's kind of fun.

Gan bian cauliflower, recipe from here.

A roasted cauliflower + freekeh salad, although you can't see the freekeh. Sort of used this recipe I think, although I changed some stuff.

Broccoli chickpea salad with currants, moghrabieh, and almonds. One of the reasons I made this was to try out my homemade Dijon mustard, which was great.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
I always like it when you post pics and recipes.
What''s the story about your homemade dijon mustard though?

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Fo3 posted:

I always like it when you post pics and recipes.
What''s the story about your homemade dijon mustard though?
It's actually super easy. I used this recipe with no sugar.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
Thanks. I'll have to look up where to even buy yellow mustard seeds. I only have Indian black/brown seeds and mustard powder

Imbroglio
Mar 8, 2013
Any suggestions for foods that go well with sauerkraut? I just made a ton of it and, while it's awesome on its own, it would be nice to mix things up a bit. Most of the recommendations I'm finding on the internet are pretty meaty.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Imbroglio posted:

Any suggestions for foods that go well with sauerkraut? I just made a ton of it and, while it's awesome on its own, it would be nice to mix things up a bit. Most of the recommendations I'm finding on the internet are pretty meaty.
You can look up recipes for shchi/schi/shchi/etc. (it's an anglicization of the Russian word Щи) - the sour version of it uses sauerkraut. Lots of recipes have meat but some don't, and you can usually mess around with them to replace the meat without much trouble (mushrooms are a good substitute) or just leave out the meat.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Imbroglio posted:

I eat kraut with curries and rice & beans - unorthodox maybe, but the acidity fits perfectly

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

TychoCelchuuu posted:

It's been a while. Another food dump of stuff I've taken pictures of:

You always have such delicious and inspiring posts.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Imbroglio posted:

first thing that came to mind is this, which all works pretty well with the kraut, though sandwiches are my primary use of the stuff

Imbroglio
Mar 8, 2013

TychoCelchuuu posted:

You can look up recipes for shchi/schi/shchi/etc. (it's an anglicization of the Russian word Щи) - the sour version of it uses sauerkraut. Lots of recipes have meat but some don't, and you can usually mess around with them to replace the meat without much trouble (mushrooms are a good substitute) or just leave out the meat.

I made this for my dad's birthday last night and it was a hit! Definitely going to make Shchi again. I used Terry Romero's recipe.
We devoured it before I remembered to take pictures, but it looked something like this:

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

first thing that came to mind is this, which all works pretty well with the kraut, though sandwiches are my primary use of the stuff

Ras Het posted:

I eat kraut with curries and rice & beans - unorthodox maybe, but the acidity fits perfectly
I'll try these when my next batch of kraut finishes.
Thanks for all the suggestions!

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Major Ryan posted:

Virtually anything unfortunately; it's a case of checking the ingredients on a lot of stuff. You'll find whey powder cropping up in a lot of processed foods, crisps, soups and sauces for example. In terms of things that aren't vegan that you might think should be - quorn is the obvious one since it's egg based (although they now have a vegan range and it's clearly labeled as such). Particularly annoyed a few years back to find milk in tropical fruit juice in place (presumably) of coconut. Didn't buy that again...

Up to you whether you have an issue with 'may contain traces of...' - personally that doesn't bother me if it otherwise looks OK, but that seems to put some manufacturers off labeling a product as vegan.

Alright ya I was kinda thinking thats how its going to be. Ingredients in mainstream products are so random you can't ever be sure. That's why I've just started to learn and cook everything for myself instead of buying anything processed.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
It's World Vegan Day! I made a cake. Here it is plain, from this recipe:

And here it is covered with ganache, which is just chocolate chips, almond milk, and a splash of Chambord:

It is delicious.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
Wow that was a douchey read. It's loving depression cake. It's not meant to use expensive ingredients like olive oil. You can use literally any cheap oil you have because the flavour of the oil is not present. The chocolate comes through. Also, because she over did the cocoa the cake isn't as high as it can be. I've made this cake a bunch of times and it comes out nice and high. Wtf was the point of olive oil?

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Search me! I skipped all the words and I used canola oil. I also made a cast iron pan pizza:

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Is "Search me!" analagous to "Ya got me!" in terms of an incredulous expression? Never heard that before.

What was on the pizza aside from the onions and potatoes? Any garlic? Olive oil base? Looks awesome.

Also dino, calm your tits, it's smitten kitchen...her prose is overwrought and she said she wanted to experience some illusory "earthiness" from the olive oil in her cake. Don't let it get you unruffled :) Just use a neutral oil.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

The Midniter posted:

Is "Search me!" analagous to "Ya got me!" in terms of an incredulous expression? Never heard that before.
Yep!

The Midniter posted:

What was on the pizza aside from the onions and potatoes? Any garlic? Olive oil base? Looks awesome.
Onions, potatoes, garlic, olive oil, red pepper flakes, rosemary, salt, pepper. I like to keep things pretty simple.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Is there a chocolate cake/brownie recipe that doesn’t have that oil aftertaste?

One of my roommates is vegan, while I’m not, but I try to include her when I make dishes.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
The cake tastes fine to me. But I might not be the right person to ask, because I don't think canola oil or plain (as opposed to extra virgin) olive oil have much of a taste in the first place, let alone an aftertaste.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I wonder if that cake would work at all if you substituted apple sauce for the oil, like I see some recipes call for if you're trying to make it "healthier". That way there's no oil in it whatsoever, so no oil flavor or aftertaste.

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
Eat it the same day if you do that because things with applesauce go stale really fast.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Also dino did you ever get that vegan kugel recipe from your friend 2 years ago?

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

kloa posted:

Is there a chocolate cake/brownie recipe that doesn’t have that oil aftertaste?

One of my roommates is vegan, while I’m not, but I try to include her when I make dishes.

Depression cake doesn't have an oil aftertaste.

Chocolate Cake
1 1/4 cups flour
1 tsp baking soda + 1 tsp baking powder (baking powder optional)
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 cup sugar
1 cup water
2 tsp vanilla extract
1/3 cup oil
1 tsp vinegar

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

Sift together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cocoa powder, and sugar.

Whisk to combine the dry ingredients thoroughly.

In a separate bowl, combine water, vanilla, oil, and vinegar.

Grease a 9" cake pan, and dust with flour.

When the oven is finished preheating, combine the wet and dry ingredients, and stir as few times as possible to make a cake batter. It will be a runny batter, so don't worry if it looks really liquidy. Because of the large quantity of liquid, don't worry about over mixing the batter. Pour batter into cake pan.

Place in oven and bake for about 30 minutes, or until a knife comes out clean.

Cool on a rack completely (2 hours).

I've made it with canola oil, vegetable oil, coconut oil, or whatever the crap margarine that was lying around, and it's come out fine. I've used apple juice in place of the water, and cut back on the sugar, and it's come out fine. My friend wanted it to be shaped like a bowl, so that she could decorate it with frosting from the can, so I bumped up the flour, eased back on the water a skosh, and it came out fine. I had a friend who didn't want it quite so sweet, so I cut out 1/3 of the sugar, and it was fine. Had another friend who wanted it to be "healthier", so we subbed out peanut butter in place of the oil, and it was fine. Once, I made it and we had nothing but balsamic vinegar. It came out fine.

Seriously. Shut up and make the actual depression cake. The original recipe calls for hot water. I've never bothered. I just throw in room temperature. If you want it to be a little bit more tender, remove 3 TB of the flour, and replace it with 3 TB of cornstarch, potato starch, or arrowroot, and it'll do it. If you want to go for lower fat, substitute about 1/2 the oil for apple sauce, and the other half for peanut butter, sunflower butter, or almond butter. It'll come out fine.

It doesn't work so great with chocolate chips stirred in, because the batter is so loose that the chips sink to the bottom and cause stickage. That time didn't come out fine. However, it does work great if you sprinkle on chocolate chips as the cake is cooling.

There was a time when someone had bought this chocolate cake mix, and it ended up having beef fat in it. I was like, "No need to worry, dude. Let me knock up a quickie chocolate cake." I managed to get the batter together in 5 minutes flat, because it's all pantry ingredients. It took him longer to grease and flour the cake tins than it took me to make the batter. I do wait till the oven is preheated before mixing wet and dry together. But that's the longest part of this cake: preheating the oven, and preparing the pans.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Some more miscellaneous food:

A very ugly looking but very delicious tasting chestnut mushroom soup.

Some sourdough to go with the soup.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

That soup and bread look amazing. I made one of the mushroom soups posted on the first page and it was amazing (one with various mushrooms and wild rice). Would you mind sharing the recipe (or where you got it)?

Do you do anything special to make your round loaves turn out so...round? Seems like a silly question, but whenever I try a round loaf it comes out looking weird.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Enfys posted:

That soup and bread look amazing. I made one of the mushroom soups posted on the first page and it was amazing (one with various mushrooms and wild rice). Would you mind sharing the recipe (or where you got it)?
For the soup, I sauteed some shallots and garlic (maybe 3 shallots and 4 cloves?) in olive oil (with some salt). Then I added the chopped up mushrooms (I think about a pound of button mushrooms) and cooked them for a while (with more salt), pouring out and reserving the liquid they released every once in a while. Then I added the chestnuts, which I had boiled and peeled (maybe three quarters of a pound?), a few dried shiitake mushrooms I had been soaking in warm water, the mushroom liquid I had been pouring off, and a bunch of stock, and simmered for a while until the chestnuts were more cooked. Then I blended it and added one onion's worth of onion cream. Then, more salt to taste.

It would probably good with sage or thyme or rosemary, and with some sherry or white wine, and also with fried shallots on top. Some sort of fancy chestnut topping might also be neat, and you could leave the olive cream out of the mix and swirl it in at the end if you're serving it to people and want it to look pretty rather than... not very pretty, like mine. No matter what else you top it with, it's worth drizzling on extra virgin olive oil at the end.

Enfys posted:

Do you do anything special to make your round loaves turn out so...round? Seems like a silly question, but whenever I try a round loaf it comes out looking weird.
I basically do what the guy in this video does at 3 minutes in, although rather than pushing away from myself I sort of sweep around in a semicircle under the dough. Every bread recipe I've seen that suggests this also tells you to let it sit after this then shape it for real afterwards (that's what he does in the video) but I've never really seen the point in that. It's already nice and round once it's been shaped like that so why gently caress with it? As long as you score it, it'll be able to rise.

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008
Thinking of getting an instant pot. Is it vegan goon recommended?

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Yeah sure. Pressure cookers are great for beans.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
It's been a while so here are some more pictures:

Moroccan zucchini eggplant stew, Moroccan carrot salad, and za'atar flatbread

Mograbieh and pearl onion soup, Moroccan tomato salad

Those are two meals I made for friends who recently had a baby. I made a third and forgot to take pictures :(

Spicy Chinese noodles. Very boring looking but part of the reason I'm posting is to show people what sorts of stuff vegans can eat, and vegans can eat noodles! They're delicious, too.

Moroccan potato stew

Ethiopian food: yetakelt wet, mesir wot, and injera

Broccoli with garlic sauce (and white rice)

Sourdough!

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
lawd have mercy that looks divine

I'm especially interested in the eggplant zucchini stew and za'atar flatbread. Can you share the recipes for those?

IBroughttheFunk
Sep 28, 2012
If it's okay, I'd like to request a few recipes from your latest selection too, Tycho. How do you prepare your spicy noodles, and what's the recipe for your garlic sauce?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008
Holy crap do you eat like that everyday??