Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Stop rubbing it in :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

AnimalChin posted:

Same. It's excellent.

Google Music is a sweet bonus.

poo poo, I've been on that Google Music train long enough (since the beta days) that YouTubeRed is the sweet bonus. Best $8/mo I spend.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

XIII posted:

poo poo, I've been on that Google Music train long enough (since the beta days) that YouTubeRed is the sweet bonus. Best $8/mo I spend.

Skarsnik posted:

Stop rubbing it in :argh:

:(

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Alright weird question. My boyfriend got my old Samsung Galaxy S7 and is currently using it with an at&t SIM card. On his old phone here got MMS messages no problem, but with the S7 he doesn't with the default apps. If he uses Hangouts or Allo, though, everything is fine. The issue is that
apparently he has no way to make either of those his default texting app, and his phone is routing those messages to an app that won't display them for some reason. His settings page for Hangouts and Allo looks completely different than mine too (Pixel XL on Fi). Anyone know how to fix either the MMS issue or how to force one of those two apps to be the default?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Soysaucebeast posted:

Alright weird question. My boyfriend got my old Samsung Galaxy S7 and is currently using it with an at&t SIM card. On his old phone here got MMS messages no problem, but with the S7 he doesn't with the default apps. If he uses Hangouts or Allo, though, everything is fine. The issue is that
apparently he has no way to make either of those his default texting app, and his phone is routing those messages to an app that won't display them for some reason. His settings page for Hangouts and Allo looks completely different than mine too (Pixel XL on Fi). Anyone know how to fix either the MMS issue or how to force one of those two apps to be the default?

Neither Hangouts nor Allo do SMS or MMS (except Google Voice MMS if you're using a Google Voice number in Hangouts), so he's not receiving MMS through them. He's just receiving messages with attached images through standard data.

He needs to make sure the APN settings for MMS are correct, taking the phone into the local AT&T store they should be able to tell him what the proper settings are for his service, and since they support the Galaxy S7 they should even be able to perform the settings directly on the normal Samsung software.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

fishmech posted:

Neither Hangouts nor Allo do SMS or MMS (except Google Voice MMS if you're using a Google Voice number in Hangouts), so he's not receiving MMS through them. He's just receiving messages with attached images through standard data.

He needs to make sure the APN settings for MMS are correct, taking the phone into the local AT&T store they should be able to tell him what the proper settings are for his service, and since they support the Galaxy S7 they should even be able to perform the settings directly on the normal Samsung software.

Yea, he actually had some texting issues before with it, and the AT&T people at the store were no help. We had to get the APN code online. But I'll see if we can take it to a different store with more knowledgeable people and/or get the correct code for it. Thanks for the heads up on what the issue is though.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Have a bit of a weird one. Can someone recommend me an app to keep track of things on a week-to-week basis? Basically, I just want to write down what songs I do at karaoke and the date so that I'm not doing the same stuff all the time. I found some simple journaling app (Journal, naturally), but there's got to be something more useful for tracking simple discrete events like that.

Also, I just upgraded from a Nexus 5 (running 4.4.4 because I was too lazy to unroot also I'm an idiot) to a Pixel XL. I switched over to Solid Explorer from RootExplorer and Textra from 8SMS, but some other new hotness recommendations would be nice. Was eyeballing Manual Camera/FV-5 and pitting it against my Canon G9, but the new Camera app seems pretty nice for day-to-day shooting.

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006
[quote="Echophonic" post="476478939"]
Have a bit of a weird one. Can someone recommend me an app to keep track of things on a week-to-week basis? Basically, I just want to write down what songs I do at karaoke and the date so that I'm not doing the same stuff all the time. I found some simple journaling app (Journal, naturally), but there's got to be something more useful for tracking simple discrete events like that.

/quote]

Wunderlist? Google Keep? OneNote?

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

AnimalChin posted:

Echophonic posted:

Wunderlist? Google Keep? OneNote?

OneNote et all are all a bit too big for what I want to do. My ideal app for this is something that makes a note block with the date and lets me put in some text under it and has it segregated from the rest of my stuff. I don't need this cluttering Keep with my general to-dos and reminders. I may also just suck at using Keep, it should be noted. All of the journal apps are way too overcomplicated so far, too. Mirror was close, but it's designed for multiple entries for a day.

I did find this app called My Notes, seems like it'll do what I want. Just a date block with some text. Made a Karaoke folder and post-dated all my old stuff from Journal, seems like it'll do the job. I feel like 4 bucks for no-ads on a notes app is a little steep, though.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

What about just using Calendar?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I'm not sure why Keep doesn't meet your needs tbh

revolther
May 27, 2008

Echophonic posted:

I did find this app called My Notes, seems like it'll do what I want. Just a date block with some text. Made a Karaoke folder and post-dated all my old stuff from Journal, seems like it'll do the job. I feel like 4 bucks for no-ads on a notes app is a little steep, though.
You> Okay Google, remind me that I sang Creed Nickelback and Stained at karaoke
Device> Okay when do you want to be reminded? (Time or place)
You> Next Thursday(karaoke night), *OR ALTERNATELY*, Next time I'm at joe's pub(the karaoke place).

Next time you go to karaoke your phone will remind you that you sang the worst songs ever.

revolther
May 27, 2008
You can also go, okay google, create a list, add to list "Bush MachineHead september 17th" or whatever, and then you'll have a little shopping list of karaoke songs you did.

Also I bartend at a karaoke night twice a week so the songs mentioned are all the bane of my existence.

edit: poo poo, just send yourself a text, itemized sorted by date list of songs. This is a dumb problem.

revolther fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Sep 17, 2017

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
Make a spreadsheet in drive with a column for artist and a column for song and then sort it however you want. This is a problem with dozens of acceptable solutions.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

What's the best Facebook wrapper app these days? I've been using Simple Pro which is decent, but I'm always open to a better one.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

revolther posted:

You can also go, okay google, create a list, add to list "Bush MachineHead september 17th" or whatever, and then you'll have a little shopping list of karaoke songs you did.

Also I bartend at a karaoke night twice a week so the songs mentioned are all the bane of my existence.

edit: poo poo, just send yourself a text, itemized sorted by date list of songs. This is a dumb problem.

Okay, poo poo, that text idea is really good. I've massively over-complicated this. I still kinda dig My Notes, though, ended up doing what I wanted and avoided being all jumbled up with the rest of my stuff.

I mean, the most elegant answer is to stop giving a poo poo, because why am I trying to avoid irritating people who voluntarily came to karaoke? :v:

Echophonic fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Sep 17, 2017

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug

Echophonic posted:

Okay, poo poo, that text idea is really good. I've massively over-complicated this. I still kinda dig My Notes, though, ended up doing what I wanted and avoided being all jumbled up with the rest of my stuff.

I mean, the most elegant answer is to stop giving a poo poo, because why am I trying to avoid irritating people who voluntarily came to karaoke? :v:

I like the (stupid, complicated) idea of using gMusic / SoundHound / Shazam etc music identifier listening features to get a list you can later sort by time. Bonus is that it might only recognize a song if you've actually done it well enough to retire it for a while.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Add the track to a Google Play Music playlist.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

CLAM DOWN posted:

What's the best Facebook wrapper app these days? I've been using Simple Pro which is decent, but I'm always open to a better one.

I like Swipe

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nimper posted:

I like Swipe

I bought the pro version of that but then the developer vanished for months so I was a little soured on it, but could definitely try it again

Regretful Humming
Apr 27, 2015

CLAM DOWN posted:

I don't know if it's just a wrapper, but I use Friendly. It works pretty well.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Soysaucebeast posted:

Yea, he actually had some texting issues before with it, and the AT&T people at the store were no help. We had to get the APN code online. But I'll see if we can take it to a different store with more knowledgeable people and/or get the correct code for it. Thanks for the heads up on what the issue is though.

Apparently AT&T people forgot to enable some sort of option on their end and the people at the first store just never noticed. So problem solved. Back to your current discussion on note apps.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Echophonic posted:

Also, I just upgraded from a Nexus 5 (running 4.4.4 because I was too lazy to unroot also I'm an idiot) to a Pixel XL. I switched over to Solid Explorer from RootExplorer and Textra from 8SMS, but some other new hotness recommendations would be nice. Was eyeballing Manual Camera/FV-5 and pitting it against my Canon G9, but the new Camera app seems pretty nice for day-to-day shooting.

I use Signal for SMS along with a lot of people I work with because we're all in IT and paranoid af. It works great, has a dark theme (pro level amoled usage), is end-to-end encrypted between Signal users, and you can even do voice and video calls that maintain that crypto.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

I never wanted to change my app icons before because I had concerns that some would be the new "custom" icons and the rest would look out of place.

Well Google has decided that all my icons will have different styles regardless so, recommendations for app icon packs that work with Nova Launcher and don't look hyper stylized? I liked the old icons for Google stuff before they decided to shove everything into a white circle, for reference.

Uncle Lizard
Sep 28, 2012

by Athanatos

Humerus posted:

I never wanted to change my app icons before because I had concerns that some would be the new "custom" icons and the rest would look out of place.

Well Google has decided that all my icons will have different styles regardless so, recommendations for app icon packs that work with Nova Launcher and don't look hyper stylized? I liked the old icons for Google stuff before they decided to shove everything into a white circle, for reference.

I have been enjoying the Dark Pixel Icon pack.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Humerus posted:

Pixel Icon Pack

(Just to beat CLAM DOWN to it!)

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

LastInLine posted:

Pixel Icon Pack

(Just to beat CLAM DOWN to it!)

You get me

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

Echophonic posted:

I've massively over-complicated this.

Send yourself an email then continually reply to that email each week.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Humerus posted:

I'm a really big fan of Materialistik

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
Delta is good too, but doesn't update nearly as frequently as I'd like.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I like the first descrption line from Materialstik.

quote:

MATERIALISTIK is well manually drawn based on Google's Material Design Guideline with material palette will change your device to the future of Marshmallow!

(it does look nice)

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

CLAM DOWN posted:

I bought the pro version of that but then the developer vanished for months so I was a little soured on it, but could definitely try it again

Maybe you already figured this out but the developer is back and updating the app again. I guess it's tough to keep ahead of Facebook when it comes to some of Swipe's features (built-in messenger, chat heads, etc.) so I can understand why he left for a while.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nimper posted:

Maybe you already figured this out but the developer is back and updating the app again. I guess it's tough to keep ahead of Facebook when it comes to some of Swipe's features (built-in messenger, chat heads, etc.) so I can understand why he left for a while.

I did see that, going to try it again! I can totally understand the difficulty in staying ahead of facebook when making a wrapper like this. I genuinely wish their official app wasn't such garbage trash.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Also I'm posting again for more app help: Is there a good travel companion/aggregator app (ie. an app that keeps all your bookings, confirmations, itinerary, etc.) that's better than Tripit or Tripcase? They're both buggy garbage.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den
I can only assume that Google Trips is useful for that case (and not for keeping track of your drug usage)

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nimper posted:

I can only assume that Google Trips is useful for that case (and not for keeping track of your drug usage)

It's not really, it only pulls from Gmail (ie. you can't add whatever you want to your itinerary) and it focuses more on "what can I do and eat and discover in my destination area" rather than keeping track of bookings and aggregating that info.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Has anyone used Robinhood? It seems to kill the fingerprint gesture capability on my Pixel until I reboot the phone.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

hooah posted:

Has anyone used Robinhood? It seems to kill the fingerprint gesture capability on my Pixel until I reboot the phone.

Maybe it's giving them to the poor?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
What's the setting I need to toggle to stop getting notifications from Google about breaking news?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug

Uthor posted:

What's the setting I need to toggle to stop getting notifications from Google about breaking news?

Go into options & customize from the Google Now or On-Tap splash/homepage. Also the Play Newsstand app's settings.

I got an entire article recently in untranslated Korean! I don't know and have never used any non-European languages on any recent device, GJ goog! Wish I could change their phrasing "your interest in Donald Trump" etc since it's more of a morbid obligate awareness. At least they stopped sending straight-up clickbait like they'd done a few times before 2014.