Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Rexroom posted:

Huh, I guess I played a completely different Octopath Traveller demo, since I didn't find the voice acting that obnoxious. It's just your regular fantasy banter you hear in dozen of other games in the past decades since the introduction of CD-ROM. Or maybe I'm just jaded.

The writing itself was kind of whatever. I didn't like the voice acting not so much that it was bad but because it just felt kind of out of place with the old school pixel aesthetic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Rexroom posted:

Huh, I guess I played a completely different Octopath Traveller demo, since I didn't find the voice acting that obnoxious. It's just your regular fantasy banter you hear in dozen of other games in the past decades since the introduction of CD-ROM. Or maybe I'm just jaded.

Primrose has a good VA job, Olberic is kinda eh

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

I just watched the SMO part from the recent direct again and boy am I hyped. It might even beat out BotW for game of the year.

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I'm petitioning for them to rename it Octonauts traveler and change the characters to Barnacle, Dashie, Quazi, Shellington, Turnip, Professor Inkling, Peso, and Tweak

Bandit report... bandit report!

My kid loves that show.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I have no idea how I am Setsuna manages to be so story-heavy while having so little story

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
OK, gently caress I am Setsuna. a boss killed me twice so I looked a walkthrough and it turns out that in order to beat that boss you go to the store and buy the one weapon that has paralysis effect and give it to the one character in your party who can use it and then the fight is easy.

I am Setsuna isn't mediocre, it's terrible.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Aren't you excited for that team's next game Lost Sphear?!

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
The game's final name should be "Octopath Traveller | Working Title"

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Policenaut posted:

Aren't you excited for that team's next game Lost Sphear?!

lol they are the ones behind that? No wonder it looks so painfully generic.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Do the other console ports of Doom have the usual console FPS problem where turning around takes forever even with the stick sensitivity maxed out? If they address that and also add gyro aiming I could see it being downright playable.

It'd also be my first portable FPS since GBA Doom. :toot:

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

Do the other console ports of Doom have the usual console FPS problem where turning around takes forever even with the stick sensitivity maxed out? If they address that and also add gyro aiming I could see it being downright playable.

You never owned a DS?

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Bill Barber posted:

You never owned a DS?

I guess technically yeah I did play Doom II on a DS homebrew version of PrBoom.

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy
I meant the free demo of Metroid Prime: Hunters that came with every Nintendo DS.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Frankston posted:

I downloaded and played Octopath but I never got an email. Nintendo doesn't value my opinion :(

Check your spam, I found my survey email in there. It should be addressed from Nintendo.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I wish Nintendo had kept streetpass around. I liked finding new people on my 3ds. I'm going to Chicago by train and bringing my Switch, but if this was 4 years ago I'd be getting hella streetpasses from it.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I wish Nintendo had kept streetpass around. I liked finding new people on my 3ds. I'm going to Chicago by train and bringing my Switch, but if this was 4 years ago I'd be getting hella streetpasses from it.

The dumb thing is this technology is already available in cellphones and can be easily integrated into their online app. Since the app is an afterthought it won't ever make it into there though.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Should I get excited about Layers of Fear?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Should I get excited about Layers of Fear?

It's pretty good, but it's a horror "walking simulator," puzzles are super light, there's no combat and you just go from room to room. If it's $10 or $15, then I say get it.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

s.i.r.e. posted:

It's pretty good, but it's a horror "walking simulator," puzzles are super light, there's no combat and you just go from room to room. If it's $10 or $15, then I say get it.

Does it have good spookem scares? I like to play horror games with my girlfriend, and she'd probably be down for a horror game with light challenges and a suitable creepy atmosphere.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Does it have good spookem scares? I like to play horror games with my girlfriend, and she'd probably be down for a horror game with light challenges and a suitable creepy atmosphere.

I don't know about LoF but the same studio made Observer which has some good spooks. It used jumpscares pretty sparingly while maintaining an unsettling atmosphere.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Rexroom posted:

The voice acting was fine. For one thing it has actual professional VAs rather than just random staffers and interns reading lines off a script with no direction or context like most games in the late 90s/early 2000s.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Primrose sounded like Korra's VA, I thought.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
The little boy in Olberec's storyline had some truly awful voice acting. I think it was just some random woman trying to do a little boy with an English accent. Ugh.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Mahoning posted:

The little boy in Olberec's storyline had some truly awful voice acting. I think it was just some random woman trying to do a little boy with an English accent. Ugh.

"Perhaps some poison doth yet 'ang on!"

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

BattleMaster posted:

The voice acting was fine. For one thing it has actual professional VAs rather than just random staffers and interns reading lines off a script with no direction or context like most games in the late 90s/early 2000s.

No dialog is good if i cant skip it

Gaffle
Aug 23, 2013

sWAg

Mahoning posted:

They're gonna add in another character last minute and call it Nonapath Traveller.

999: 9 hours, 9 travellers, 9 paths

ReverendMech
Jul 6, 2009

Real hurthling! posted:

No dialog is good if i cant skip it

You can skip it.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

I'm wondering what the weirdest NPC interaction is going to be. I'm hoping it's outrageous and dumb, like turn them into a bird or something.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

Doom's aiming and movement is fast as poo poo even without sensitivity maxed out on the PS4, especially compared to the typical console FPS. It controls like Quake but with AAA graphics. About as good as you can get without going mouse/keyboard. You will not be disappointed when it comes to that.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Aside from thievery, what is the cheapest way I can get Mario and Rabbids

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Jonas Albrecht posted:

I'm wondering what the weirdest NPC interaction is going to be. I'm hoping it's outrageous and dumb, like turn them into a bird or something.

selling them term life insurance

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!

LODGE NORTH posted:

The barter system

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

LODGE NORTH posted:

Amazon used marketplace.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I think a big part of its success on Steam was there was basically 0 hype for it.

Lots of Terraria and Starbound players were keeping tabs on it.

s.i.r.e. posted:

It doesn't gently caress around with story, cutscenes and dumb characters you don't like. The gameplay is fast and rewarding, requiring you to constantly think on your feet and one mistake will spell death. It's really fun and there's no lulls in gameplay.

And what story you're forced to see is just enough to get you where you need to go to kill more demons.

The backstory stuff you can find is pretty cool though. Demons basically see Doomguy as the most :black101: Demon-murdering thing ever and you getting freed is literally a thing they never wanted to see happen because you're an unstoppable (demon) killing machine.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

It makes me happy that in an era of endless boring shooter games, the new Doom and Wolfenstein games still end up good.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

LODGE NORTH posted:

for me it was trading in agents of mayhem. good trade-in

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

All the Switch needs now is Bloodborne and it'll then have the greatest games of all time.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I was sitting on the fence for Mario + Rabbids but I think the soundtrack pushes it into a buy for me.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Sep 18, 2017

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
Buy Leo worlds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Buy Leo worlds

Leo Worlds when

• Locked thread