Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ChorpSaway
Oct 9, 2012

[Thanks to my good friend AbstractCactus for the banner image!]

Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D’s is the third series in the long-running Yu-Gi-Oh! anime franchise born out of the Yu-Gi-Oh! trading card game. Although series creator Kazuki Takahashi had promised himself that the previous series, Yu-Gi-Oh! GX would be the last Yu-Gi-Oh! series, he was approached about halfway through GX with the idea for 5D’s. Many of the people in the production staff and TV board pitching this were long time associates and friends, so Takahashi agreed to make 5D’s, under the condition that this would be the last Yu-Gi-Oh! series. Despite this, three new series have since been created.

Since Yu-Gi-Oh! GX had faced criticism for being very similar to the original series, Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters, Kazuki Takahashi decided to shake up the formula with a new, industrialized setting, a more mature tone, and a new dueling gimmick: The Duel Runner (D-Wheel in Japanese). The Duel Runner was a motorcycle that was also used to conduct Turbo Duels, where two people on Duel Runners would compete in a race-style Duel Monsters match, with the loser’s Duel Runner shutting down upon defeat. Thus was born the undying meme of “card games on motorcycles”.

Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D’s Wheelie Breakers is a 2009 racing action game for the Nintendo Wii. Wheelie Breakers takes advantage of the new setting to create a distinct experience from the traditional card game conversion, coming elements from both racing games as well as Yu-Gi-Oh! proper to create something that certainly tries. It comes across as a proof of concept that would’ve been refined in a follow-up game, had Wheelie Breakers done well enough to warrant a sequel. The player must race against other Duel Runners while trying to handle a card deck of Mario Kart-style power-ups that can either help you or hinder your opponents. It has a Story Mode that maybe sorta kinda works in tandem with the story of the first season, as well as a Grand Prix Mode that works as your standard eight-person free-for-all racing mode.

Hello, I’m ChorpSaway, and I’ll be your guide on this roarin’ hog to the Shadow Realm! Riding in my sidecar will be fellow Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D’s aficionado JordanKai, and along the way I’ll have several other guests come along with me to talk about Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D’s, racing, card games, class warfare, ancient magic, and whatever else comes up as we explore this unique game in a unique franchise.
This LP will cover the Story Mode in its entirety, including bonus races, as well as an overview of the Grand Prix Mode to show how the gameplay changes with more characters. I will try to show off several different decks and styles of play across the story mode, though there are some cards that are just plain Better and will show up more consistently.

I love Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D’s as much as anyone could, but I’d like to generally keep this thread on the topic of the game itself, as well as the first season of the anime, which Wheelie Breakers generally covers. If you want to connect things from the game to later material from the anime, I don’t mind too much, but I don’t want this to just be a greatest hits discussion about 5D’s where the thread just becomes pages and pages of discussion about the series as a whole.
Discussion of the card game in the 5D’s era and any archetype that appears in Wheelie Breakers is cool though. That’s called historical archival.
Oh, and no low-effort “CARD GAMES ON MOTORCYCLES” posts. We get it.

ChorpSaway fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Nov 19, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChorpSaway
Oct 9, 2012

Post reserved for something else later, maybe!

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

:rice:

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
oh boy, card games

the last time I played a yugioh game was the 2010 world championship game

it was okay

Jen X fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Sep 17, 2017

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
You know, I would figure they would use the VR a bit more. Seems safer than making people race while having dragons and poo poo attack them.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

YEAHHHHH YU-GI-OH 5D's! Best-

ChorpSaway posted:

I love Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D’s as much as anyone could, but I’d like to generally keep this thread on the topic of the game itself, as well as the first season of the anime, which Wheelie Breakers generally covers.

*1 casual googling later*

YEAHHHHH YU-GI-OH 5D's! Best protagonist introduction oh yeah!

Pyroi posted:

You know, I would figure they would use the VR a bit more. Seems safer than making people race while having dragons and poo poo attack them.

Yeah, you'd think there'd be at least one or two people in a car or at least a go-kart, since those can't spin out and throw you bodily from the vehicle.

Ephraim225
Oct 28, 2010
I remember this game. I was disappointed there were only 128 cards in it, and only 32 of them are monsters. So I tried to mod the game. I...only got as far as changing the music and restoring the voiced lines removed in the US version. But oh well, still a nice game.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Oh man, I've always been interested in this game but never saw any videos of it, I'll gladly follow the LP. From one video alone it sure looks...original. And unwieldy. Good button use though.

Use the pink D-Wheel, you know you want to.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

But how many trading cards can you kiss?

Epicmissingno
Jul 1, 2017

Thank gooness we all get along so well!
You know, I always thought Rally was a girl until, like, the third series. I mean...look at him!

Also I thought his name was Raleigh, because that's an actual name and sounds exactly the same as Rally.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Epicmissingno posted:

You know, I always thought Rally was a girl until, like, the third series. I mean...look at him!.

WHAT.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yeah, despite his design Rally is officially a boy (and to be fair he does at least kind of sound like one in the Japanese version)

ChorpSaway
Oct 9, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

YEAHHHHH YU-GI-OH 5D's! Best protagonist introduction oh yeah!

Yeah, you'd think there'd be at least one or two people in a car or at least a go-kart, since those can't spin out and throw you bodily from the vehicle.

Yusei is the coolest.

And doubles Turbo Duels exist within the universe, but they're seen as the minor league sport, and you'd build up to solo.

Waffleman_ posted:

But how many trading cards can you kiss?

I kiss each of my cards before every race, to wish the spirits of the cards good luck.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

ChorpSaway posted:

Oh, and no low-effort “CARD GAMES ON MOTORCYCLES” posts. We get it.

That's fine but can I mention how it's time to ddddddduel?

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.
I'm so upset there's no voice acting because I'm not sure what the point in 5Ds is without the dulcet tones of Jack Atlas constantly screaming for no reason.

Please tell me someone at least says "Master Of Faster" at some point.

(I can't believe this game exists and I'm looking forward to watching it!)

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
What determines how much damage you do to somebody? In those two fights it seems like your opponents took no damage at all and then were suddenly at 0.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Is "equal to 1900 or more" one of those translation irregularities you talked about, or is that standard Yugioh phrasing?

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

FractalSandwich posted:

Is "equal to 1900 or more" one of those translation irregularities you talked about, or is that standard Yugioh phrasing?

The former. The same effect in the TCG is written as "Cannot be destroyed by battle with a monster that has 1900 or more ATK."

ChorpSaway
Oct 9, 2012

Glazius posted:

What determines how much damage you do to somebody? In those two fights it seems like your opponents took no damage at all and then were suddenly at 0.

The monster's ATK stat, no modifiers, as far as I'm aware. DEF I think has something to do with extra health, but nothing in the game or the manual actually says anything about that.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Cops probably do need cards in addition to guns. I mean, I've only seen the first anime and part of GX, but IIRC in those shows the holographic monsters sure seemed to kick the poo poo out of people whenever they lost duels.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Count me in as another person who had no clue this game existed. This is gonna be an interesting ride.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

AlphaKretin posted:

This is gonna be an interesting ride.

Was that intentional?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Larryb posted:

Yeah, despite his design Rally is officially a boy (and to be fair he does at least kind of sound like one in the Japanese version)

Son of a bitch, I can't believe I got Haku'd again.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Yu-Gi-Oh's 5 D's

1. Drive
2. Drift
3. Duel
4. Dodge
5. Drive

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Dragon Ball
Duel Masters
Diamond is Unbreakable
Dandy, Space
Detective Conan

NejD
Oct 3, 2013
Do they have any kind of deck theme synergies or is it just shove the best cards into a deck?

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

The 5D's stand for Doing Drifts During Deck Development.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

NejD posted:

Do they have any kind of deck theme synergies or is it just shove the best cards into a deck?

Sometimes the latter *coughbeatdowndeckscough* and mostly the former. That's not even getting into the poo poo the actual card game can let you do these days (with some combos letting you draw -your entire deck- to summon exodia for an instant win, though that one seems to be a Japan-Only deck right now, depends on the next ban list for the TCG)

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

JordanKai posted:

The 5D's stand for Doing Drifts During Deck Development.

Hey don't spoil the LP! :mad:

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Children's card games on motorcycles? How is that safe? Who even gave those kids licenses? Get off that motorbikes you crazy kids, you're not old enough to drive.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Leal posted:

Children's card games on motorcycles? How is that safe? Who even gave those kids licenses? Get off that motorbikes you crazy kids, you're not old enough to drive.

Old enough to win a children's card game, old enough to drive.

ChorpSaway
Oct 9, 2012

Leal posted:

Turbo Duels, and by extension Wheelie Breakers, is a sport for grown-rear end adults to compete in. Kids can duel the boring old-fashioned way until they grow up or get the Turbo Duel hoverboard.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Dirty
Deeds
Done
Dirt
Dheap

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Leal posted:

I'm pretty sure everyone who gets on a D-Wheel is actually old enough to drive. Yusei is 18 when the series begins (which is roughly right now in the game), with the other important characters that get to drive being clearly of the same age or older. The kids don't get Riding Duels, except for one occasion and it was rather different.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad
Until this video the only thing I knew about Yu-Gi-Oh was that it involves cards.

Apparently there are also people driving motorcycles backwards at slow speed too, so that's cool.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Yu-Gi-Oh's 5 D's

1. Dumbly
2. Dressed
3. Dorks
4. Duel
5. Drive

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

EasilyConfused posted:

Until this video the only thing I knew about Yu-Gi-Oh was that it involves cards.

Apparently there are also people driving motorcycles backwards at slow speed too, so that's cool.

yugioh's cool as gently caress, me and chorps have been watching the first series and its amazing. people getting murdered because they lose at a card game, who later on gets possessed by an angry egyptian teenager who is in turn possessed by his evil side. the first villain is a 50 year old glamrock-looking billionaire who loves his dead wife and cartoons. at one point, the main character's monsters get mad at him sacrificing them despite it being a main mechanic of the game.

and thats not even talking about season 0 which doesn't involve the card game but involves a number of games and over-the-top ironic punishments to people because they were kind of a dick

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

FutureFriend posted:

and thats not even talking about season 0 which doesn't involve the card game but involves a number of games and over-the-top ironic punishments to people because they were kind of a dick

Season 0 is kind of like SAW in that way, huh?

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

ChorpSaway posted:

Turbo Duels, and by extension Wheelie Breakers, is a sport for grown-rear end adults to compete in. Kids can duel the boring old-fashioned way until they grow up or get the Turbo Duel hoverboard.

For anyone curious, Chorps is referring to the Duel Boards:

Fun fact about the Duel Runners, or D-Wheels as they are known as in the Japanese version: The main characters' Duel Runners each have a unique name:

• Yusei Go obviously belongs to Yusei.

• Phoenix Whirlwind, known as Wheel of Fortune and later Volcanic Wheel of Fortune in the Japanese version, which belongs to Jack Atlas.

• Bloody Kiss belongs to Akiza/Aki Izinski.

• Blackbird belongs to Crow Hogan.
There are other named ones as well such as Sturm und Drang, German for Storm and Surge, which belongs to Sherry LeBlanc, Greiger's Duel Runner which named The Beast in the dub and is unnamed in the Japanese version, and Delta Eagle which belongs to Antinomy:

Chimera-gui fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Nov 20, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Season 0 was the best for how insane Yugi was, and it's a shame it went away once the series focused on card games. Not to mention how Kaiba's idea of revenge was to build a death trap tower, hire a serial killer to guard one of its areas, and invent the 3D hologram technology just so he could inflict the mindfuck he received on Yugi and his grandpa. :allears:

• Locked thread