Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

I'm not sure what your obsession is with Keane, professor. I think you may need some professional help. :)

##veto Professor Mudd

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VivaNova
Sep 12, 2009

The most epic adventure ever undertaken
nah, Keane's the worst.

##approve Mudd

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

##approve Professor Burgundy
##approve Professor Podima
##approve Professor Novis

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie
Keane has been sent to Professor Mudd's detention !

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie
:siren:Month 7 results
Hufflepuff were awarded +20 points
Gryffindor were awarded +20 points
Slytherin were awarded +20 points

Month 7 Event 1 - Druidic Patchall Paste - Duel
With life starting to return back to Hogwarts after a nice break. it didn't take too long for the first hitch to occur with Keane and Octavius each seeking to prove to the whole school that their recipe source was truest!
Gryffindor and Hufflepuff pored over their notes, and eventually elected Chaoslord to get up and speak to everyone about what they found out.
"Um.. hi... well uh, Keane's 'book' was uh really cool and... yes what was that Trevor? no shut up i'm getting to that!.. anyway yeah the book was like, good and stuff and GRYFFINDOR RULEZ PEACE." and farted out a few orange sparks from his sad looking wand and ran away giggling.
Ravenclaw and Slytherin didn't know what to make of it. Poor Octavius was scrabbling on parchment and didn't pay any attention. his face was completely focused, and with a sigh, he handed it over to Mulberry to present

"Hellllloooooooooooooooooo everyone my name is Mulberry Evergreen and you know i'm really happy to be up here and talking to you because talking is sooooooo fun and i love it and i know that um whatever all this paper says is suuuper interesting and you'll love it and then we'll all be friends! Yay!!! Well lets start from the top then "As you can see from Albertus Scimpii in 300AD, it is clear that druidic herbology and potioncraft is much intertwined..."
Mulberry went on in a very animated fashion for over 20 minutes reading from the paper. "... and so we can deduce that this recipe is the one true recipe. The end! Wow that was fantastic! i mean, i didn't understand anything of what i just said but i'm sure it was really cool and we're all super smart and everything and yay us! Woo!" and she skipped off throwing her parchment into the air, Octavius looking at his work puddled on the floor in horror.

Headmaster busb appeared from the side and piped up"Great work everyone! What fascinating presentations. +15 Points to Slytherin! Oh and +5 points to Ravenclaw i'm sure they put in some work, but great speech Mulberry!"

Month 7 Event 2 - Moonlighting - Individual
Professor Mudd was very keen to test if people were still paying attention to his classes after the gluttony of xmas (which he definitely didn't partake in himself, oh no).
Researching into what phase of the moon werewolfs are most fierce at and how to best counteract them proved to be a contentious task. After mulling over the proposed solutions to his problem, he smiled and patted newcomer Aedon on the head, and proclaimed "+20 points to Slytherin, that is a very solid report son, great job!"

Quidditch Month 7 - Ravenclaw vs Gryffindor
While to the kids, excitement was in the air for the return to Quidditch and half of the competition to go, the Professors looked on with a wary eye, as the teams both looked a bit tired from their xmas overexertions.
While some kids shouted encouragement to Ravenclaw given the detention of Keane, Ravenclaw showed exactly what they were made of.
As quaffle after quaffle passed through their goals, all they absentmindedly attempted was to point the Gryffindor seeker in the direction of the snitch, so they could think about the best thing in the world... studying for the yearly exams!
Gryffindor won 150-0

Gryffindor has won +40 points

House Cup status:
Slytherin: 395
Gryffindor: 345
Hufflepuff: 235
Ravenclaw: 225

busb fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Sep 18, 2017

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie

Month 8
1d10=3
1d10=3 Charms Double Event!
Month 8 Event 1 - Trumpeting Totes
Professor Mudd, always keen to keep students on their toes in his classes, decided that he would like nothing better, than for his favourite tune to be played every time he walked past students across the school! The spell would not be easy, but to sweeten the deal, Mudd offered what he didn't love most (that was pork pies and delicious vintage fizzwhisky), but instead points!
The students could definitely see how important these points could end up being, and none of them even considered making their bags sound like farts!

This event will test your: =(Effort + Charms + Empathy) + (Effort+Astronomy) + (Effort+Cunning) + 4Duellist, +4Pranking, +4Bullying
The House with the largest combined total wins +30 points
The individual with the largest contribution wins +10 points
A tied result means all tying houses win +40 points

Hogsmeade is closed for Students, but still open for Professors.
* Colin Creevy’s Notes (43 available) - 40G - while in possession, the notes’ owner lets them take 1 other student and/or Professor to the Room of Requirement for the entire month(private discord channel)
* Sparker 290 - 10g - This broom adds a player's Empathy to their Flying skill in all Quidditch games
* Polyjuice potion (3 available) - 30g - (Professor only) - While in possession, this Professor may PM the mod to pick one Event per month and will contribute the same amount as the lowest contributor of the target player's house to their Event contribution total.

busb fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Sep 18, 2017

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie
Deadline will be Thursday EST so like 3 days 4 hours from now.

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie
Given the extended deadline and single event, there is a purse of Galleons sitting on my desk that I have earned throughout the year.

It would be my privilege to hand it over to a deserving player. What makes can a deserving player? Well I need your help to figure that out. Players may nominate a player from a different house who deserves a prize. Entries must be less than 200 words in this thread describing why they are a benefit to Hogwarts, a shining example of their house, or anything else.

If professors nominate a student it must be one they are not aligned with.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Grandicap is just generally a very cool person.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

An ever-honest pacifist with no mind for tricks.

busb posted:

Entries must be less than 200 words

:eng99:

peramene
Oct 13, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie
Okay fine make them a novel then if you want to!

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

busb posted:

Okay fine make them a novel then if you want to!

Haha no I will keep it within reason :peanut:

I want to nominate Keane - I really like hanging out in the commons and getting to know the other non-Slytherins, and of everyone I feel like Keane is the person that I've gotten to know best. I've learned so much about giants since we became friends! I honestly like all of the Gryffindors that I've gotten to know, but admittedly I tend to appreciate people who can keep the pace with me when it comes to conversation and so I think he deserves it.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner
I'm going to nominate Deena for managing to actually do well at two subjects! With all the PLOTTING and PLANNING and CONSPIRACIES it's nice to see people remembering to go to class.

peramene
Oct 13, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

xiw posted:

I'm going to nominate Deena for managing to actually do well at two subjects! With all the PLOTTING and PLANNING and CONSPIRACIES it's nice to see people remembering to go to class.

Aww. I'm happy to discover I've made an impression. It has certainly been my best effort to keep up my attendance and to help struggling students. However -

I must confess that all this inter-house competition has flown right over my head. After all that nasty business at the beginning of the year, I'd decided to throw myself into my studies and while yes, I certainly hope it does pay off for my presently under-performing House, what are we here to do except to learn?

In that vein, I'd like to express a fair amount of disappointment at my inability to nominate my Housemate Nintholomew, who has been an absolute slave to the intricacies of the inter-house rivalries and has been doing his absolute best to attempt to secure the Cup for Ravenclaw. That perseverance in the face of what you will no doubt grant me appears to be considerable adversity is always admirable.

I would consider it quite the boon if someone from another House would take the time to nominate him in my stead. There's no self-serving element to this request - I believe, individual to individual, that he's earned it. I know he'll end up spending it on trying to beat your House somehow - let us both come to that simple fact with open arms - but I wish he'd spend it on something nice for himself instead. (You should see the state of his robes, what with all his running around.)

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

peramene posted:

Aww. I'm happy to discover I've made an impression. It has certainly been my best effort to keep up my attendance and to help struggling students. However -

I must confess that all this inter-house competition has flown right over my head. After all that nasty business at the beginning of the year, I'd decided to throw myself into my studies and while yes, I certainly hope it does pay off for my presently under-performing House, what are we here to do except to learn?

In that vein, I'd like to express a fair amount of disappointment at my inability to nominate my Housemate Nintholomew, who has been an absolute slave to the intricacies of the inter-house rivalries and has been doing his absolute best to attempt to secure the Cup for Ravenclaw. That perseverance in the face of what you will no doubt grant me appears to be considerable adversity is always admirable.

I would consider it quite the boon if someone from another House would take the time to nominate him in my stead. There's no self-serving element to this request - I believe, individual to individual, that he's earned it. I know he'll end up spending it on trying to beat your House somehow - let us both come to that simple fact with open arms - but I wish he'd spend it on something nice for himself instead. (You should see the state of his robes, what with all his running around.)

This is a fairly weak attempt at subverting the spirit of the headmaster's challenge. I'm disappointed in you. Consider what you could instead be doing to advance intra-house relations, like your peers!

peramene
Oct 13, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Podima posted:

This is a fairly weak attempt at subverting the spirit of the headmaster's challenge. I'm disappointed in you. Consider what you could instead be doing to advance intra-house relations, like your peers!

I disagree entirely! If one of our House is to stand, it should be he - not me. Doubly - nay, triply! - so for choosing who might be worthy of a proper Ravenclaw nomination. It would be preposterous of me to attempt to do such a thing.

Further, Professor, if I could be accused of anything, it would in fact be advancing intra-house relations, rather than inter-house relations. The reality is quite the opposite - though perhaps my intent would be better put this way? Headmaster, should you consider my nomination worthy of reward, please instead distribute your prize to Nintholomew, with stern instructions to get himself something nice.

Indeed, were I to hazard a nomination, it would only be to seek the favor of my intended companion for the year-end formal, which is certainly not what the Headmaster seeks to reward. Presumably. Now if you'll excuse me, my crop of Venemous Tentacula are almost ready for... heh heh... field testing.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
Blatant manipulation aside, I really would like to nominate Nintholomew, for being willing to forgive. Everyone knows that we failed Ravenclaw rather spectacularly in the past, and I shoulder a fair portion of that blame. I would 'ave understood if 'e 'ad wanted nothing more to do with our 'ouse from that point onward; 'e would 'ave been quite justified in it! But 'e didn't take the easy way, or give in to anger. 'E was understanding about the fact that we made an 'onest, disastrous mistake, and was willing to move forward. For that, I really am incredibly grateful towards 'im. Thank you, Nintholomew, and the rest of Ravenclaw as well.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

##Detention Chao Slord

He knows what he did.

VivaNova
Sep 12, 2009

My office now young lady!

detention mulberry
confiscate sparker 290

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I say, I've got a bit of a Kneazle infestation this month, and I could use a good stick to calm 'em down. You there! Would you mind helping me out?

##detention Hepzibah

##confiscate Bamstick

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

I may regret this, but if your demeanor will improve by this then I will play along...
###Detention Alasdair

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie

AnAnonymousIdiot posted:

I may regret this, but if your demeanor will improve by this then I will play along...
###Detention Alasdair

This action just missed the professor deadline and is not valid.

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie

King Burgundy posted:

##Detention Chao Slord

He knows what he did.

Chao Slord has been sent to Detention!

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I've had quite enough of you targeting poor Mulberry!

##veto Prof. Novis

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

I had thought we'd stop with detentioning. You all agreed that It's not working.

##veto Burgundy

Wait...

##veto Novis

AnAnonymousIdiot fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Sep 22, 2017

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

##Veto Professor Vivan

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

If it's not too late to nominate someone for the gold award, I'd like to nominate Dārta from Hufflepuff. At a time when I felt short of friends Dārta was there for me, someone to count on when I needed help with coursework or dating advice, someone I could relate to, someone who has made my stay at Hogwarts more enjoyable for being here.

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie

VivaNova posted:

detention mulberry
confiscate sparker 290

Mulberry's detention had been vetoed!

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie

Podima posted:

I say, I've got a bit of a Kneazle infestation this month, and I could use a good stick to calm 'em down. You there! Would you mind helping me out?

##detention Hepzibah

##confiscate Bamstick

Hepzibah has been sent to Detention!

Podimas search fails to turn up contraband

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

VivaNova posted:

detention mulberry
confiscate sparker 290

Podima posted:

I've had quite enough of you targeting poor Mulberry!

##veto Prof. Novis

AnAnonymousIdiot posted:

I had thought we'd stop with detentioning. You all agreed that It's not working.

##veto Burgundy

Wait...

##veto Novis

King Burgundy posted:

##Veto Professor Vivan

*looks uncomfortable at the thought of causing disagreement amongst the Professors*

I apologize for if I did anything wrong! :ohdear:

peramene
Oct 13, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

leave mulberry alone

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie
Month 8 Results:
Month 8 Event 1+2 - Trumpeting Totes
Musical notes played throughout the school, but the best charmed totes turned out to be a lovely chorus of slyphic prog-wing-chanting from Ravenclaw!
But the best individual tune was Celestine's gorgeous rendition of La Vie en Rose - played on a tricoleure bumbag,
Unfortunately it was to be part of a chorus, but due to some strangely animated totes, her comrades were too busy sitting on them to muffle their incessant yelling of "HEADMASTER busb SMELLS FUNNY PAAARP:gary:"

Ravenclaw has been awarded +30 points
Slytherin has been awarded +10points

Quidditch Round 8
With a lot to play for, the Slytherin team took to running a huge offensive game. Whatever they tried to do however, Hufflepuff matched them, and the first period o fthe match saw Hufflepuff creep to a 90-80 lead. Quaffle after quaffle seemed to bamboozle the Slytherin goalie, and even with some sharp beater action, the lead kept increasing, until the final whistle blew, leaving the Hufflepuffs victorious once again in a 340-100 smashing. Can anybody stop this late season juggernaut? Truly Gryffindor vs Hufflepuff willon the return leg will be a fascinating spectacle!

Hufflepuff has been awarded +40 points!

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie

Month 9
(1d10=7) Month 9 Event 1 - Tomes the Think Engine
Professor Podimahas found a fascinating tome espousing the greatest magical thinkers of the past 500 years. Translating its pages will surely be well rewarded by the professor!
This event tests your= (Effort + History of Magic) + (Effort + Empathy) + 6Studious
The house with the highest combined total will receive +20 points!

(1d10=2) Month 9 Event 2 - Slightly Premented individual
Professor Burgundy has set students to consider what to do if ever they come across the gaolers of Azkaban prison - the newly formed Prementors! While they look somewhat like Dementors, their horrific visage and effect has been replaced by that that somewhat reminds those that encounter them as an old wizened man brewing tea. Because thats what they are. Winning with kindness is the ticket! But what can you do if they brew you cursed tea?? Only the best from each House could ever hope to fix a Prementor Cuppatea...

This event tests your= (Defence against the Dark arts * (Effort + Bravery)) + Charms + 6 Duellist
The highest individual score wins their house +20 points, as well as a really fantastic cup of tea!

Hogsmeade is CLOSED, however there is a sign on the Three Broomsticks that its renovations will be complete next month and open for business!

Current standings:
Slytherin: 405
Gryffindor: 345
Hufflepuff: 275
Ravenclaw: 255

busb fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Sep 25, 2017

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie
Deadline is in 36 hours (Monday evening EST)

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie
Also thank you to all the letters of interhouse support! The entries were great, but the nomination that won the hearts and minds was to award Keane with the purse.

VivaNova
Sep 12, 2009

The offer of points for this puzzle is expiring at 9pm EST! (You are still welcome to request hints).

VivaNova posted:

A Potion for Potter

Quiet reigned in most of Hogwarts, but down in the potions dungeon, Professor Novis created quite the racket as she magically flung cabinets open in search of dusty bottles and allowed the ones she was uninterested in to smash on the floor. This created a situation where some of the First Year's shoes became stuck to the floor with a bubbling, purple ooze, but Novis seemed not to notice. Finally she chose five bottles and excitedly began to lecture.

"Consider yourselves fortunate you attended my class today. For our subject is one of the simplest, yet most useful potions to master. It combines not only a knowledge of potion making, but a bit of herbology and one other subject. You'll recall from One Thousan`d Magical Herbs and Fungi that all herbs have certain properties and even the most common of them may yield a fantastic potion if combined in just the right amounts."

The professor waved her hand to indicate the five large, dark bottles on her desk. Their aged and scribbled labels could just be perceived: Allimus, Carei, Hyssopi, Pastinacae and Hordei.

"Take these five ingredients. Nothing fancy here, even my dear muggle Grandfather, the famous Nicholas Culpeper, would have known of their properties. Yet these five mundane substances will produce a potion that will revitalize and enhance any person's natural abilities. Just one simple fact about the individual we are brewing the potion for will provide the key to revealing the exact amounts of each! Now, students, select a person to use as an example".

Keane blurted out the first person he could think of, "Harry Potter!"

"Potter, Potter.... the guy who defeated some dark lord a few years back? Or wait, is he the guy from Coldplay? Blast, I can't quite recall at the moment, but no matter, he will serve perfectly fine for this experiment. Now, get busy and the student who first supplies me with the correct potion will be rewarded!"

Professor Novis exited the dungeon with an expert cape flare.

"Uhh..did she finish giving us instructions?" Barius asked. Darta shrugged and continued fixing her eyeliner. Mulberry was already scribbling down ideas for her potion. No one was exactly sure if Novis had simply forgotten to finish her lesson or if she had high expectations of the students.

~~~
The first person to tell me how much of each ingredient to use in the Potter potion will receive 20 points. Only the first submission from each student will be considered.

~This assignment might prove difficult, so I'm offering hints. Send me the standard 2G fee and an owl with an unambiguous yes or no question about the assignment and I'll answer you in the thread.~

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Good work not being sent to detention this month Chao. Always nice to see improvement.

##Award Gryffindor

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
((^^^ hahahaha))

Tough luck on that Quidditch loss, Slytherin - but keep your chins up! Here's a bit of encouragement.

##award Slytherin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

• Locked thread