Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
If you include the Darkwing Duck comic from a few years ago, which was definitely intended to come across as being canon to the old series, it gets much more explicit about them being in the same universe, with stuff like Negaduck, Magica DeSpell, and the Phantom Blot teaming up, and Scrooge, Donald, and the nephews helping. It ran for 18 issues and was pretty fun, all things considered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Ballz posted:

Short answer: Yes!

Longer answer: A lot of stuff is now out of print so it can be a little confusing about what to look for and how much money you want to drop on it.

The one thing that will probably be repeatedly referenced in this thread is Don Rosa's "Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck." It's a multi-part series Rosa did in the 90s (and won him an Eisner Award) that follows Scrooge from being a Glasgow pauper to richest duck in the world. The new DuckTales series is taking inspiration from a lot of this, although it's not an adaptation.

There've been a couple of trade paperbacks devoted exclusively to this series, but they're out of print, so they tend to be overpriced. If you want the original comics, you'll find it in Uncle Scrooge #285 through #296. Go digging in your local comic store's back issues, they'll probably be fairly cheap (incidentally you'll find a few of my letters to the editor in a couple of those issues :shobon:)

But good news, there's an easier way! Fantagraphics is releasing a 10-volume hardcover collection compiling every Don Rosa comic. I think we're up to volume 7 now, and each go for about 20 bucks. If you're looking for just the original Life of Scrooge series, it's in volumes 4 and 5. But seriously just get all of them, all of his stories are excellent.

Next we go to Carl Barks, the "Duck Man" who created Scrooge, Glomgold, the grand-nephews, Magic De Spell, etc. etc. etc. Barks wrote hundreds of comics from 1943 to 1967. There's a metric fuckton of his work available in all kinds of collections and compilations. If you want to go the pricey collector route, there's a 10-volume 7,000+ page giant hardcover collection from the 1980s called the Carl Barks Library. That'll only set you back about $2,000 on eBay.

But like the Don Rosa Library, Fantagraphics is again doing their own complete compilation. But whereas the Rosa collection is 10 volumes, Barks was a bit more prolific and when finished, will be in the neighborhood of 30 books. I don't think we're even at the halfway mark for it.

If you don't know where to start for Barks, I recommend Only a Poor Old Man (the beginning of the "classic" era of Scrooge comics) or Lost in the Andes arguably the single best comic Barks ever wrote. It was certainly his personal favorite.

btw the above is obviously from a North American collector's perspective. Lord knows what you can get in Europe, where Barks and Rosa are basically celebrities.

This saved my life, my mom is a huge fan of the Scrooge McDuck comics from when she was a little girl so this is great to hear.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

HIJK posted:

This saved my life, my mom is a huge fan of the Scrooge McDuck comics from when she was a little girl so this is great to hear.

:shobon:

My parents were too, back in the 50s. Barks wasn't allowed to sign his name on his comics so they didn't know who he was back then, only that he was the "good" artist in the Disney comics. They both loved stories like In Old California or Tra-La-La and when the original DuckTales came out in the 80s, they decided to start buying me Duck comics... and ended up re-reading them themselves.

Which is why I'm here today posting in the Something Awful DuckTales thread, jonesing hard for a new episode. We're still like what, a week and a half out? Sigh...

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.
Ooh! Just saw some vids of what appears to be DuckTales (2017) dubbed for my country. Scrooge even appears to be using the same voice as in our dub of the original DuckTales which is kinda sweet.

Though, our dubbed version is slated for October.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Ballz posted:

Which is why I'm here today posting in the Something Awful DuckTales thread, jonesing hard for a new episode. We're still like what, a week and a half out? Sigh...

The next episode should be out on the 23rd if I remember right. Though fortunately after that the episodes will be released weekly from then on.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

There's a clip out of Gyro Gearloose's introduction.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9PsPxWqWbNk

Interesting note: the map in the background is an ocean-oriented Goode projection.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Interesting note: the map in the background is an ocean-oriented Goode projection.

Yes, good. More rear end in a top hat Gyro, please.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
He does not look quite right without red hair.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Is that Jim Rash? Because he is nailing it.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
Just finished the Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck and knowing this is part of the basis of the new series really puts a lot of the pilot in perspective. If they use even half of it they'll have lots of material to work with. And Scrooge himself, oof. The loneliness in the first episode seems a lot more like karmic retribution after reading that. I mean poor guy, but geez he does a lot to bring all this trouble on himself.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

As someone familiar with the comics (and the original DuckTales), Gyro is going to take some time getting used to, though I don't think it's a bad portrayal.

HIJK posted:

Just finished the Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck and knowing this is part of the basis of the new series really puts a lot of the pilot in perspective. If they use even half of it they'll have lots of material to work with. And Scrooge himself, oof. The loneliness in the first episode seems a lot more like karmic retribution after reading that. I mean poor guy, but geez he does a lot to bring all this trouble on himself.

Well, they're probably not going to use the chapter about Scrooge becoming a robber baron and alienating his entire family because this Scrooge appears to have kept in touch with his nephew and niece. Or maybe they'll change the cause of the fallout instead to suit this new adventures-hungry treasure hunting Scrooge since it's implied in this continuity that something that happened on one of his adventures that caused Donald, and potentially others in his family, to not want anything to do with him up until now.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

Folt The Bolt posted:

Well, they're probably not going to use the chapter about Scrooge becoming a robber baron and alienating his entire family because this Scrooge appears to have kept in touch with his nephew and niece. Or maybe they'll change the cause of the fallout instead to suit this new adventures-hungry treasure hunting Scrooge since it's implied in this continuity that something that happened on one of his adventures that caused Donald, and potentially others in his family, to not want anything to do with him up until now.

Impossible to know but I meant it more in a meta-sense. Scrooge is a gently caress up and he has lots of history to back that up in several canons, make the little bastard suffer. :v:

As it relates to the reboot they might work it into the show somehow. We know that Donald is not Scrooge's only family which is presumably still around in some fashion but there is a rift between Scrooge and those people as well. If they want to ask the question where is Matilda? they could bring it in. According to the nebulous internet rumor mill the comic was required reading for all cast members so they're certainly aware.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

HIJK posted:

Impossible to know but I meant it more in a meta-sense. Scrooge is a gently caress up and he has lots of history to back that up in several canons, make the little bastard suffer. :v:

As it relates to the reboot they might work it into the show somehow. We know that Donald is not Scrooge's only family which is presumably still around in some fashion but there is a rift between Scrooge and those people as well. If they want to ask the question where is Matilda? they could bring it in. According to the nebulous internet rumor mill the comic was required reading for all cast members so they're certainly aware.

True, though I think that they could potentially change the cause of the fallout instead to whatever caused Donald to cut ties with Scrooge and not talk to him for so long that these versions of Hewey, Dewey, and Lewey don't even know that Scrooge is their granduncle. As in, whatever happened could have caused Scrooge's sisters to break ties with him as well.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I get the impression that whatever happened to Della is going to be significant in this version. It does seem implied that, while there isn't a complete lack of trust and respect between Donald and Scrooge, Scrooge screwed up and he knows it.

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

HIJK posted:

Have you read the story in which Scrooge reunites with Matilda? Things got really emotional and Scrooge really explains what it was in Donald and the triplets that really got him going again, and it is beautiful.

Sometimes I wish for Don Rosa stories set after Scrooge's death, to see how everyone else deals with it and how Scrooge prepared his grand-nephews to succeed him at the head of his business empire.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

One of my all time favorites right there. It actually brought me to tears first time I read it.

Rosa really knows how to weave a story. His eyes may be blown to hell but I wish he'd still write and have someone else take on the art duties (is Daan Jippes still around? He's probably the most Barksian cartoonist outside the Duck Man himself)

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

X_Toad posted:

Have you read the story in which Scrooge reunites with Matilda? Things got really emotional and Scrooge really explains what it was in Donald and the triplets that really got him going again, and it is beautiful.

Sometimes I wish for Don Rosa stories set after Scrooge's death, to see how everyone else deals with it and how Scrooge prepared his grand-nephews to succeed him at the head of his business empire.

I have it in written format to be read at my leisure. I agree it is very good. I find it interesting that despite Scrooge essentially striking Donald off from his list of heirs to his wealth and fortune, he has come to value his company and deep down loves and respects him as a family. There are times reading Don Rosa comics where I wonder if it's not so much Donald trying to earn Scrooge's respect as it's the opposite. Then again, maybe I'm reading too much into it.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

X_Toad posted:

Not yet! Life and Times is the first Scrooge comic I've read that wasn't my mom's comics from 60s Amsterdam. That story sounds really poignant, I'll track it down.

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

Ballz posted:

One of my all time favorites right there. It actually brought me to tears first time I read it.

Rosa really knows how to weave a story. His eyes may be blown to hell but I wish he'd still write and have someone else take on the art duties (is Daan Jippes still around? He's probably the most Barksian cartoonist outside the Duck Man himself)
I don't know... I love Don Rosa's art. I just can't imagine a Duck comic with his writing but not his art.

Folt The Bolt posted:

I have it in written format to be read at my leisure. I agree it is very good. I find it interesting that despite Scrooge essentially striking Donald off from his list of heirs to his wealth and fortune, he has come to value his company and deep down loves and respects him as a family. There are times reading Don Rosa comics where I wonder if it's not so much Donald trying to earn Scrooge's respect as it's the opposite. Then again, maybe I'm reading too much into it.

I think that although Scrooge has stroke off Donald off that list, he still loves him as family and doesn't underestimate the way his parenting shaped the boys, whom he seems to consider his natural heirs. As for your last point, I don't think that Donald cares about gaining his uncle's respect, so I think that the reverse is actually true. I mean, think about what exactly brings about the reunion between Scrooge and Matilda : Donald hopes to reconcile them!

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I've seen a fair bit of anger over changing Gyro's personality... but inversely people are praising the show for doing the same with Beakley, Webby, and two thirds of the triplets. Not sure what to think about that.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

TFRazorsaw posted:

I've seen a fair bit of anger over changing Gyro's personality... but inversely people are praising the show for doing the same with Beakley, Webby, and two thirds of the triplets. Not sure what to think about that.

Gyro's a beloved Barks character, while Beakly and Webby were oft-disliked show characters. Different levels of what's considered "sacred"

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

well, I also mentioned the triplets.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
The main thrust of the complaints seem to be "too much like Sheldon Cooper" which is a character with a big hatedom.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

TFRazorsaw posted:

they weren't barks but pre-barks theatrical shorts characters, and Quack Pack already showed how low the bar could go

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Sheldon didn't really invent the whole "insufferable genius who isn't good with people" character type. That comparison feels like a stretch.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Besides which, the clip seems to suggest a more "condescending" kind of insufferable.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Well, they also changed Beakley, Webby, and the triplets to be cooler, while Gyro is being changed into a less likeable figure, so there's that.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

well, it depends on what they do with it. Gyro never really felt like a very engaging character to me before, either.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Is it better for the guy who keeps making inventions that almost destroy the world to be a lovable idiot goof or a jerk who everybody hates but for some reason never faces reprisal?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

well, we don't really know how everyone feels about him, other than the fact that the vulture businessmen react to him with incredulity.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

TFRazorsaw posted:

well, we don't really know how everyone feels about him, other than the fact that the vulture businessmen react to him with incredulity.

They're wondering why he's still around when in the first episode they said they'd cut the R&D division. Vultures, they don't know a thing about growing a business. :rolleyes:

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

TFRazorsaw posted:

Please. They're clearly vulture capitalists.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
I'm really impressed with how much personality they're giving to the triplets. Even in that Gyro clip, [quote] seeing Louie light up at the end at "You'll never have to do anything yourself again!" was pretty great.[/spoiler]

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

SlothfulCobra posted:

Is it better for the guy who keeps making inventions that almost destroy the world to be a lovable idiot goof or a jerk who everybody hates but for some reason never faces reprisal?

Usually because he's got absolutely zero common sense, business acumen, or ability to figure out sensible use cases for his inventions, like nearly Aperture Science-tier.

At least being stubborn and suffering from 'smartest guy in the room syndrome' might make him come off more as someone who has trouble learning from mistakes rather than someone who seems to have some kind of learning disability.

That said, I think fans are rightly more skeptical of 'change the personality of someone with an established personality', while 'Give a character with no personality, or a disliked personality, a new personality'.

On the above note of Scrooge's heirs, it does kinda tie in with how even the comics often hinted that the triplets are closer to Scrooge in personality and abilities (Which this show takes further, with each triplet having an exaggerated version of one of Scrooge's characteristics) and would be more of a fit for taking over his business empire, while he and Donald both know that Donald would run it into the ground in record time.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I imagine the change in Gyro's personality may be to give Fenton someone more acerbic to play off of, given he's his assistant. Two happy go lucky savants is kind of not the most interesting dynamic.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

TFRazorsaw posted:

I imagine the change in Gyro's personality may be to give Fenton someone more acerbic to play off of, given he's his assistant. Two happy go lucky savants is kind of not the most interesting dynamic.

That would make a lot of sense, especially given the show is combining characters from different adaptations with similar roles. As well as fleshing out the triplets; when you have multiple too-similar characters, the obvious answer is to change one or all of them to a different role.

(Oh wow, if Gyro becomes Gizmoduck, he and Darkwing are NOT going to get along)

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Funny enough in the original show when I re watched some episodes. Fenton had very little respect for Gyro.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

TFRazorsaw posted:

In the original show and comics, the triplets were pretty much interchangeable and even in Barks comics their "personality" would often change from comic to comic and be anywhere from a foil to Donald to encyclopedic resources with their Junior Woodchuck's Guidebook.

They fit the role for whatever the plot needed them to be so while essential to the stories, their characterization was often pretty thin.

That's why a lot of us are excited to see them each have their own unique identities in the new show. In fact it seems their sometimes contradictory personalities in the comics will instead be divided up between each of them in the show; Dewey is more confrontational and more likely to butt heads with his uncles while Huey is more resourceful and willing to go by the Junior Woodchuck's Guidebook for example. Previously that could refer to any (or all) of them in any given story. In the new show we now can expect which nephew to behave in which way.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The triplets were always sort of a gestalt, all sharing the same will and intent throughout three bodies.

From what I've seen of the old show, Webby was normally more competent than the three of them, and got more characterization, although that characterization was mostly "stereotypical girl who likes things girls like."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
This semi-cryptic tweet bids good news. hopefully.

https://twitter.com/DisneyTVA/status/909891933719416834