Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
I'm quite certain that cargo explicitly doesn't rot on the station pad, which is why full load is actually cool and good in the first place.

It shouldn't be used at first, though, otherwise your ratings will be bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mynameisbatman
Oct 3, 2008

If you could find a nice map of the Iberian peninsula with portugal and spain that would be nice. Barring that I'd love a map of Europe.

But yeah gently caress that mars poo poo and all those crazy rear end future trains. Let's just work with some nice chilled out trains.

Atown
Aug 10, 2011
I was out of town the last week, but I'm looking forward to the next map. The maps based on real places (north america, japan) were cool. It would be cool to do another one like that.

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

mynameisbatman posted:

If you could find a nice map of the Iberian peninsula with portugal and spain that would be nice. Barring that I'd love a map of Europe.

But yeah gently caress that mars poo poo and all those crazy rear end future trains. Let's just work with some nice chilled out trains.
There used to be these really nice portuguese resources for TTD but I don't know if they're OpenTTD-compatible: https://web.archive.org/web/20160325195854/http://adcosta.home.sapo.pt/index_p.html

Failing that, there seems to be a bunch of european maps already in the online content.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Mar 23, 2021

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Every week sounds good to me right now. Just please make the reset on a weekend so those who want to dedicate some time have a better chance of getting in early, regardless of time zones :)
(It's 7:30 in Western Europe right now, Monday, I'll be at work for the next 8 hours. Most of a game could already have passed by the time I get home.)

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Ah yes, Swansea, Europe's second largest city:

Also a Gordian knot of railways choking up the Valleys :v:.

mynameisbatman
Oct 3, 2008

Yeah poo poo Swansea got it going on. I'm turning Barcelona and Paris into paradises and I also came and stole London. :smug:

I also got this cool island in the Mediterranean and linked up the 3 towns with passenger trains and made an airport. it's a cool place to go on holiday I bet.

I'm really starting to hate ships and Tankers and stuff though. Seriously it's the one industry I can't stand or ever seem to make money from.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

mynameisbatman
Oct 3, 2008

Holy poo poo this is so cool, So I can see that my tourists are coming from Barcelona airport to the island (god knows which one it is but I will find out) and then taking the trains and buses to go on holiday. I love how the game tracks the tourists.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

#paris

mynameisbatman
Oct 3, 2008

Paris was my idea :frogout:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I logged in just now and a ton of my mines and woods have disappeared with trains waiting forever on the stations. Bah. :effort:

mynameisbatman
Oct 3, 2008

Poil posted:

I logged in just now and a ton of my mines and woods have disappeared with trains waiting forever on the stations. Bah. :effort:

I hate when that poo poo happens, the amount of times I've been building a track between two places and then the resources disappear just before I finish.

Does anyone know what exactly causes this to happen? Like are there hidden in game variables or something that might have any telltale signs that something will close so you know to avoid it?

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

mynameisbatman posted:

I hate when that poo poo happens, the amount of times I've been building a track between two places and then the resources disappear just before I finish.

Does anyone know what exactly causes this to happen? Like are there hidden in game variables or something that might have any telltale signs that something will close so you know to avoid it?
Industries that aren't serviced will eventually disappear, so it's best to put a train parking the industry before you finish your route. I believe raw material industries eventually run out as well, but there's no way to predict this.

There's a mod to control this (available in Online Content) but I've never tried it, it might just result in a glut of industries: http://dev.openttdcoop.org/projects/manindu

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

According to the official wiki, only the service quality should affect industries increasing or decreasing production. Basically there's 3 levels of service quality (% of production transported), low medium or high, and every month one or more industries are selected to change their production. If an industry is chosen to change production, its current service level affects the chance of production increasing or decreasing. If an industry runs a lowest production for a while it will eventually close.
I'm not sure how it works for secondary industries, since those stay open even if you don't take their production away but just deliver to them. They probably look at number of months passed since last delivery.

But basically, if you can keep servicing an industry well to keep station ratings above 75% the industry should have very little risk of closing down, and should most likely increase production until it maxes out. (The maximum production of a primary industry is between 2000-2400 units/month.)

mynameisbatman
Oct 3, 2008

Oh also I was reading the OpenTTD wiki about all the different options and stuff, and I assume breakdowns and stuff are switched off on this server, does that mean I don't need to get new vehicles when I get the popups saying my vehicles are getting old?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Yeah when breakdowns are turned off (they are here) vehicle age doesn't actually matter much, apart from there probably being better alternatives available.
The only place vehicle age stays relevant is in the cargo rating calculation on stations, and that's just a boost to the rating for having brand new (less than 2 years old) vehicles visiting.

mynameisbatman
Oct 3, 2008

I have 2 passenger trains stopping at one station and picking up passengers, but when they go to the other station they just literally go in and straight back out without stopping or dropping anything off. What's up with that?

EDIT: One of them seemed to stop but the other one won't, and it's carrying full carriages of people from the other station. There are literally only 2 stations on the track and each train has it's own separate track.

EDIT: The station is flagged as not accepting passengers? What the gently caress?

mynameisbatman fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Sep 19, 2017

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Does the orders list have both stations listed? And no special load/unload orders on any of them?

E: Yeah if it doesn't accept passengers you need to get it closer to houses that do take passengers. You can e.g. build a bus station nearby, if you hold Ctrl while placing the bus station it will ask if you want to join it to an existing station nearby. You can extend the catchment area that way.

mynameisbatman
Oct 3, 2008

Yeah I already had a bus station next to it to take people to the airport, and I have no idea what happened but the trains suddenly just decided to start stopping there. Weird.

Oh well at least it works now. :toot:

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

dat income graph is gross smh gang

Protips to ya'll tho; I notice a few realllly long bridges or tunnels, you want to avoid this! You cannot put a signal on a bridge or tunnel, so the signal only pops up at the start or end of it. This can slow things down drastically. A tunnel is preferable to a bridge as it has no speed limit outside of the potential slow down on a slope, though that's usually true of a bridge as well, but the real preference is just flattening the land. Still, if you have to use a tunnel or bridge make sure you put down a "regular" track every now and then; tunnels are, again, best for this, as you can just dig down a bit to expose a track tile and then go back to tunneling every 6-8 tiles.

Also, boats! Boats are bad you need to watch out with boats because they kinda sorta have collision with each other. They won't wreck or something, but if you get a bazillion boats like a certain red player has all swimming through a single tile they'll start flipping out and doing loops. If you go absolute ham with boats make sure you give them space; I flattened a good bit of the area and gave it back to the sea, bridge permitting, to free up the jam but you really probably only need two tiles.

Atown
Aug 10, 2011

Gamerofthegame posted:

dat income graph is gross smh gang

The settings on the latest map seemed a little too easy. I kind of like it when it's a little more strategic to make a functional transport network.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

TTD isn't a difficult game, if you know what you're doing you'll take off. VIVA transport had the gimmick of (mostly) being constricted to France and made a billion off connecting forests to a sawmill and basically just had two networks before I got bored and made a cross map passenger service for the extra kick.There being terrain etc is just a frustrating manner of figuring out what's do-able for a quick buck before you can level the mountain down.

If you want something more involved, you'll want to turn on FIRS.

mynameisbatman
Oct 3, 2008

I wish we had a :frogout: that said full load instead.

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

Looks like someone invented the legendary boatrain:

SupSuper fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Sep 20, 2017

mynameisbatman
Oct 3, 2008

Yeah jesus someone is invading my beloved Barcelona with hovercraft. I wonder if they're earning much money.

EDIT: Wow they're making a really really nice amount of money.

Cool I'm making my own hovercraft army. gently caress you France.

Also we should play a map of North Korea.

mynameisbatman fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Sep 20, 2017

Atown
Aug 10, 2011
I see I accomplished my goal of making Berlin the world's largest city. Though regrettably I can't take all the credit.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Everyone boxed in Paris to prevent it from growing, jerks.

mynameisbatman posted:

Yeah jesus someone is invading my beloved Barcelona with hovercraft. I wonder if they're earning much money.

EDIT: Wow they're making a really really nice amount of money.

Cool I'm making my own hovercraft army. gently caress you France.

Also we should play a map of North Korea.

Weirdly, passenger boats almost always work out, mostly because passengers always work, just not necessarily well. Hovercrafts are easily the best boats cuz they're hella fast and the second one actually holds a large amount of people, too. If you start the game late enough for hovercraft they can replace coal->power as your quick entry buck, mid-sized cities on the ocean permitting, though the craft themselves are pricey. They are the planes on water, but cheaper and easier to get.

Also cuz boats can all swarm on a pier as seen by the hoverblobs it's pretty fire and forget. Hovercraft own.

Never use any other boat tho.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Gamerofthegame posted:

Never use any other boat tho.

Oil carriers are okay until you can afford to fill in the ocean around oil rigs.

Darth Llama
Aug 13, 2004

Server is down for me. Anyone else?

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Too many ships again?

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I really wish it wasn't eleven in the evening so I could play. :v:

We need an iceberg disaster that randomly crashes ships to cull their numbers.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Someone didn't read the rules.

Encrypted
Feb 25, 2016

My bad :v: Was dicking around for a bit when there's not much else to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

sincx posted:

I re-enabled yearly autosaves to allow for easier crash recovery. At the beginning of each game year, the server may not respond for a few seconds, but should not disconnect you. If you do get disconnected, let me know.
It does disconnect you, for reference, I guess it takes longer than the client waits around.