Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
The forehead aliens are better than the new klingons and 90% of trek critters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
If they're in a zoo, who has to clean up the human poo poo?

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

The Bloop posted:

Seriously gently caress University of Pheonix for having good commercials that give me feels and then slap you with GET AN EXPENSIVE FAKE DEGREE

I teared up a little before I saw their logo for their fake school to rob poor people.

Edit: the "omelet" and "want eggs now" jokes were sickening

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.

Beachcomber posted:

I teared up a little before I saw their logo for their fake school to rob poor people.

The egg jokes were portrayed as wildly inappropriate so :shrug:

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp
"you're in charge lol"

ok that owns

e: "Woof."

aaaand oops

Polygynous fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Sep 18, 2017

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
"Thanks, dick."

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
I am enjoying the hell out of this show, and it's just episode two. Don't screw this one up, Fox.

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp
alright that was worth the trip

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up
That was a glorious twist.

edit: double twist, even better

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.
That was great.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
THAT was the controversial "transgender baby" people were griping about? LMAO

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

MillennialVulcan posted:

THAT was the controversial "transgender baby" people were griping about? LMAO

No that's all episode 3.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Episode 2 was definitely better than episode one.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I feel dumb I just realized the ship is named for Orville Wright

They've mentioned two other Union ships so far and they were both named for early aviation pioneers: the Chanute last episode, and the fake transport in tonight's episode was the Bleriot.

Anyway, this episode was a lot of fun, although I wish they'd found a better way to end it than a "reality television haha" joke.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

That episode was great. I'm really into this now. Still a few real stinkers as far as jokes went but I had quite a few more good laughs and am starting to get attached to several of the characters.

try the new taco place
Jan 4, 2004

hey mister... can u play drums while I sing and play plastic guitar???
It felt like the dumb married couple bickering was relegated to almost the C-plot this episode, which was really nice. Totally not surprised the director was a Voyager veteran, and I don't mean that as an insult.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

try the new taco place posted:

It felt like the dumb married couple bickering was relegated to almost the C-plot this episode, which was really nice. Totally not surprised the director was a Voyager veteran, and I don't mean that as an insult.

Yea, a lesser show would have focused more on the "lead" couple's plot. Really, it's Alara's episode. Great to see that happening right off the bat, bodes well for the ensemble.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
Definitely liked ep 2 better than the pilot. It is becoming somewhat watchable faster than TNG did, so I guess that's something

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
I kinda like the running gag that humans keep making references that the alien characters don't understand in the slightest.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

This was a really good episode. The critics are both out of touch and loving retarded.

Ramen Pride!
Jan 13, 2001
Now I really need a toy or model of the ship to add to my spaceship collection. Because I think this show has legs and will stick around for at least two seasons.

It's an eclectic collection.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I thought this episode was good. I think people are just upset that Seth Macfarlane makes better Star Trek than Star Trek people.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Beachcomber posted:

I liked the "want eggs now" joke, because you can tell he's disgusted by craving eggs.

I can sympathize with Alara. Pretty sure if I was randomly put into command of a spaceship, my reactions would be to run away and/or do a shot.

E: it's kinda viscerally surprising me they decided to actually get into civilian clothing. Trek never does that.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Sep 18, 2017

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up
The critics are up their rear end cause that was good fun sci-fi.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

MisterBibs posted:

I liked the "want eggs now" joke, because you can tell he's disgusted by craving eggs.

I can sympathize with Alara. Pretty sure if I was randomly put into command of a spaceship, my reactions would be to run away and/or do a shot.

E: it's kinda viscerally surprising me they decided to actually get into civilian clothing. Trek never does that.

Trek does do that, but they tried so hard to make it look like future clothes that it was weird and jarring.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Cojawfee posted:

Trek does do that, but they tried so hard to make it look like future clothes that it was weird and jarring.

Gentlemen, return to the oven. You're not done baking yet.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Cojawfee posted:

Ok, sure, they sometimes put the cast into future clothes, but it never felt like a common thing. Picard would've never just randomly put on the clothes found in the place he was trapped in.

Just finished the episode, but I think that they should've had the been-there-31-years monster go free too, and not just the scared alien boy.

And why the hell did they not have a "Why is my desk crumbled into pieces and vomit in the corner?" joke at the end?

e: Oh and I guess Kari Byron from Mythbusters was one of the aliens:

https://twitter.com/KariByron/status/909621366512422912

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Sep 18, 2017

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

Soothing Vapors posted:

Definitely liked ep 2 better than the pilot. It is becoming somewhat watchable faster than TNG did, so I guess that's something

That's not a high bar. TNG season 1 and season 2 were really, really bad.

I'm liking The Orville a lot so far though.

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

The critics saw 3 episodes, right? The next one has to be a special kind of terrible to deserve the reviews this show got.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I don't know how it could be so bad that it cancels out the first two episodes. Maybe if it's just 40 minutes of watching Seth Macfarlane poo poo or something.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
This was a fantastic episode. It has all the excitement of a better TNG episode, and some humor to go on top.

It's hilarious that in Trek, everyone is always in awe of sitting in the Captain's chair. In this, everyone is dreading it. I love the B-Team reality.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Philthy posted:

This was a fantastic episode. It has all the excitement of a better TNG episode, and some humor to go on top.

It's hilarious that in Trek, everyone is always in awe of sitting in the Captain's chair. In this, everyone is dreading it. I love the B-Team reality.

I think that makes it more realistic. So far, the interactions in this show have appeared to be more realistic than what you normally get in Star Trek. Humans make references, an alien says "what the hell is that?" and instead of explaining it in boring detail, they just move on. People have casual asides with the people they are working near.

xerxus
Apr 24, 2010
Grimey Drawer
I this show.

I had a legitimate laugh when they traded the captain for reality television. Most of the other 'jokes' did not land at all, but I think I really miss "star trek".

If you were to watch a bad episode of star trek now, you wouldn't have such a negative reaction to it. You can probably just excise the bad parts with saying "it was a producto f the times. " This show evokes so much of that, that I'm willing to forgive many of its faults.

I still think that I would enjoy a Star Trek show with the ethos of the "Orville". No reason why every single Star Fleet captain is sane.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Who's the composer for the show? I feel like they're really killing it on the music.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

pyrotek posted:

The critics saw 3 episodes, right? The next one has to be a special kind of terrible to deserve the reviews this show got.

I'm bracing myself; it's the one that some of the critics seemed to focus on.

kickascii
Mar 30, 2010

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Who's the composer for the show? I feel like they're really killing it on the music.

The music is a big part of the nostalgia kick, there was a segment that had a really nice TOS vibe.

BTW, Picard was wasting a lot of time with earl grey tea, who knew you could get pot cookies out of a replicator?

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
I honestly get seaQuest DSV vibes off the score sometimes.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Mr. Fowl posted:

I'm bracing myself; it's the one that some of the critics seemed to focus on.

Yeah, the rumor seems to be that the third episode is TNG "Code of Honor"-level lovely. We'll see if Seth can blow the goodwill this show has built up so far ...

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Judging by critical expectation for the first two episodes ("what, this isn't Family Guy in Space? 1/10!") I have hopes that the third episode is peak mid-series TNG cerebral and the critics were seething about that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Ah gently caress the reaction to ep 2 is gonna make me watch this