Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
This set design is awesome, wish it didn't have Seth MacFarlane in the middle of it

The cheating with alien thing is lame but the squawk it makes I actually laughed out loud at

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

MacFarlane's used to not having to move his face when he voice acts

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Durrr, those are marbles, I funnee show

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
btw, zoos are pretty hosed up

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Okay I like the idea of him being the worst captain on the lowest ship as an inversion of how it goes on Star Trek

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Okay I like the idea of him being the worst captain on the lowest ship as an inversion of how it goes on Star Trek

Captain Ed "2.0 is good to go" Mercer

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

I enjoyed this second episode a lot more than the pilot. If this show continues to trend upwards... maybe it could jump start a new mainstream space related sci-fi movement? I really hope the rest of the season can bring it home. I've already met a real life stranger that watched the pilot and turned out to be a huge Trek fan. I hope we can bring more people out of the woodwork.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Durrr, those are marbles, I funnee show

I really liked that joke because of how fast paced it was. No exaggerated delay with contorting faces or pauses for laughter. Just Ed picks up a marble while asking for a mint, throws it in his mouth, Admiral says "those are marbles", and before he finishes his sentence, Ed spits it perfectly back into the bowl.

Man it feels weird being the target audience for a Seth MacFarlane show.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Done with the first episode. Pretty mediocre. I don't mind jokes but a lot of them felt so forced or out of place. Also if you want to make an optimistic show about people dealing with their problems in healthy ways, maybe don't have MacFarlane fall back in loves with his ex-wife. If they avert that somehow I'll have a lot more respect for it.

Kazinsal posted:

I really liked that joke because of how fast paced it was. No exaggerated delay with contorting faces or pauses for laughter. Just Ed picks up a marble while asking for a mint, throws it in his mouth, Admiral says "those are marbles", and before he finishes his sentence, Ed spits it perfectly back into the bowl.

Man it feels weird being the target audience for a Seth MacFarlane show.

Alright yeah the timing is perfect, I'd just seen the joke too many times before.

Jewel Repetition fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Sep 18, 2017

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
After two episodes I think this show does "light space opera with some jokes" better than Stargate did; I demand at least 3 seasons.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
"I'm going to the bathroom to read!" got a good chuckle out of me.

Okay, McFarlane. I'll bite on this show.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Second episode was a lot better but it's not inconceivable to me that the third could end up being bad enough to sour someone's opinion completely.

Argyle
Jun 7, 2001

Critics have been saying that the 3rd ep is the most troublesome.

...which might mean it's the best episode yet, because they were way off the mark with eps 1 and 2.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

I like that MacFarlane's got the whole "expectation fakeout" thing down to a fuckin tee. The dude who is derided constantly for cutaway gags set up an entire scene that played off the fact that it could have been a cutaway gag in Family Guy but was actually just two people drunkenly reminiscing, like actual people. And the fakeout where everyone's going "oh no Ed don't try to get back together with Kelly" and then, well, the scene with the cereal and the beer.

I dunno if I'm reading too hard into it or not. I'm just happy we have some good, enjoyable science fiction that balances the drama with lightheartedness. It's like mid-series M*A*S*H without the laugh track.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Argyle posted:

Critics have been saying that the 3rd ep is the most troublesome.

...which might mean it's the best episode yet, because they were way off the mark with eps 1 and 2.

It must have been some expectations thing, like the episodes got sent to reviewers with a "The hilarious laugh a minute new MacFarlane comedy!" release and the critics rightly noticed that the show isn't actually that funny. Surely critics should weigh "it's charming and a bit different" higher than they have been if nothing else.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

xerxus posted:

I this show.

I had a legitimate laugh when they traded the captain for reality television. Most of the other 'jokes' did not land at all, but I think I really miss "star trek".

If you were to watch a bad episode of star trek now, you wouldn't have such a negative reaction to it. You can probably just excise the bad parts with saying "it was a producto f the times. " This show evokes so much of that, that I'm willing to forgive many of its faults.

I still think that I would enjoy a Star Trek show with the ethos of the "Orville". No reason why every single Star Fleet captain is sane.

So you want a show set on The Hood

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I can see how the next episode is going to have issues if heteronormativity is such a universal constant that a biologically monogender species spontaneously produces something that is immediately identifiable as female, despite that word having no meaning to their race.

Like, what makes it female? Is it smaller? Does it have different primary characteristics? Why would that make a species with no natural gender think "girl" and not "mutant"? Do I trust this show to deal with any of these questions in any kind of decent way?
The treatment is already bizarre and ham-handed and it's been going on for about five seconds, so I can imagine how the actual episode turned people off!

Caphi fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Sep 18, 2017

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

Was I the only one weirded out by the fact that Alara suddenly has eyebrows? I mean, it is a massive improvement and looks so much better with the prosthetics... but I spent the whole episode questioning if I could possibly have misremembered that from just a week ago and had to double-check the pilot after this one was over. :ohdear:

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Generic American posted:

Was I the only one weirded out by the fact that Alara suddenly has eyebrows? I mean, it is a massive improvement and looks so much better with the prosthetics... but I spent the whole episode questioning if I could possibly have misremembered that from just a week ago and had to double-check the pilot after this one was over. :ohdear:
They even photoshopped her eyebrows back on in production stills from the pilot.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Mountaineer posted:

I kinda like the running gag that humans keep making references that the alien characters don't understand in the slightest.

My favourite version of this joke is in the 1985 movie Enemy Mine where the alien character assumed that Mickey Mouse was a "great human teacher" which led to this great confrontation later on:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHN7_LiESzk&t=1442s
(lovely video, it was the best copy I could find on youtube)

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Cojawfee posted:

I don't know how it could be so bad that it cancels out the first two episodes. Maybe if it's just 40 minutes of watching Seth Macfarlane poo poo or something.

I'm increasingly convinced the reviews were "we, the intellectual Critics, hate Seth MacFarlane" and had nothing at all to do with the show.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Seth Macfarlane gets very little pass or benefit of doubt on gender identity issues after the episode of Family Guy with Quagmire's mom. It's really, really, really bad. Now he didn't write it. He hasn't written for the show at all since 2010. But he did approve it and voiced both Quagmire and Brian, and tried to defend it in interviews.

So if Orville has an episode about similar issues it is automatically having to contend with the context of that terrible episode.

It may be fine, or even good, but for a lot of people that will taint it.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Jeb! Repetition posted:

This is part of the appeal for me. In Star Trek we generally had the story from the greatest captain in the federation, in their flagship. In the Orville we've got a middling vessel being sent off on unimportant missions with a captain who the brass doesn't like, and he was only ever made a captain in the first place on a plea from a respected officer.

The first episode was cringey at times, but that was probably unavoidable if the main two characters are going to be a divorced couple.

Rigel fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Sep 18, 2017

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

My only complaint about the episode was that the loyalty of the crew in not only being willing to risk their lives for the captain but being furious that someone would obey an order not to seemed a bit unearned this early on (everyone seemed to be focusing on how it would affect her career rather than any risk to the ship and its crew), but otherwise I agree with everyone that it was better than the pilot.

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Sep 18, 2017

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Caphi posted:

I can see how the next episode is going to have issues if heteronormativity is such a universal constant that a biologically monogender species spontaneously produces something that is immediately identifiable as female, despite that word having no meaning to their race.

Like, what makes it female? Is it smaller? Does it have different primary characteristics? Why would that make a species with no natural gender think "girl" and not "mutant"? Do I trust this show to deal with any of these questions in any kind of decent way?
The treatment is already bizarre and ham-handed and it's been going on for about five seconds, so I can imagine how the actual episode turned people off!

Maybe they had a gender war in their historical past, and so could identify one easily. It's "impossible" because you can't make a qd chromosome set with 2 sets of qq chromosomes.

Just spitballin'

Episode 2 was good and 1 is better on a rewatch

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Oh, I'm also glad the zoo situation wasn't used as an excuse to get them to hook up, and hope that's backgrounded for a while, but I'll be very surprised if it never comes up again. I don't really even mind if it does, I just think the show needs to establish more of a baseline before going there.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
Yeah, it was weird that everyone was like "gently caress yeah, ignore the fleet admiral orders and go rescue our awesome captain... uh, you know, the one we've only known for a couple of weeks".

I guess we don't know how time is passing between episodes (it was long enough for Alara to grow eyebrows!) and also we're probably thinking way harder about this than necessary for this kind of show.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
I really, really don't trust MacFarlane to handle issues of sexuality well and if episode 3 is as bad as the critics say it is then I'm concerned it'll go like "Bortus tries to pass off his daughter as male but in the end learns that it's best for your gender expression to match your genitals" which would be rather unfortunate. I hope I'm wrong.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

There were other visual changes since the pilot too. I noticed that the captain and first officer chairs were different on the bridge.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The positive reviews of the episode make it sound more cerebral than that.

Also the negative reviews seemed mainly about that it was clunky and preachy, not offensive.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

It seems a lot more likely that the message will be that it's up to the child to decide who she is, not for the parents or culture or tradition to decide for her.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Sinteres posted:

It seems a lot more likely that the message will be that it's up to the child to decide who she is, not for the parents or culture or tradition to decide for her.

No, you see, Seth MacFarlane did a questionable thing once and it's inconceivable that he will ever change or grow as a person. It's definitely a good idea to get very angry at our imagination of what he may or may not have done before we see any evidence.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
I've enjoyed both episodes so far. It has made me laugh a good amount.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Same

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I wonder what some of those "it isn't what we expected!" reviewers were thinking, since so far it's literally just TNG with the serial numbers filed off + some jokes which is exactly what I figured it'd be.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Grand Fromage posted:

I wonder what some of those "it isn't what we expected!" reviewers were thinking, since so far it's literally just TNG with the serial numbers filed off + some jokes which is exactly what I figured it'd be.

They were expecting it to be parody instead of mimicry.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

The ridiculous situations are by far the best jokes; McFarlane's character is kinda supposed to be an unfunny dork. We're meant to groan at his egg crack.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Lol, egg crack

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I felt like his quip about not joking with Bortus anymore was a nod at the audience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
I am going to take bold and novel stance: I have more confidence in Orville being a good show than I do for Star Trek: Discovery