Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/TheRealVirgil/status/909576663331205120

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

gently caress :( Heenan was one of a kind, and I can't imagine anyone will ever be a better announcer or manager. I still can't believe how quick-witted he was, really deserving of 'The Brain' moniker. People have already highlighted so many of his great lines and moments, so just pretend I quoted every post in the thread.

His health was pretty awful for a while so I'm glad he's at peace now, and I like to imagine he is hassling Gorilla Monsoon in heaven :unsmith:

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person
He was one of those people you loved to hate because he played being a dick so perfectly.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I have a feeling the reaction to Heenan dying will be even bigger than Macho Man which was bigger than anyone expected.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEf87iR-7w4

goddamit this is tough to watch

shoplifter
May 23, 2001

bored before I even began
RIP Brain.

One of my fondest memories as a kid was getting spit on at a house show in the 80s by an old lady for cheering Bobby Heenan. Watching him and Monsoon banter back and forth on Mondays was loving *magical*.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
I kinda hate people saying pictures of him the last few years are sad.

He was a cancer survivor who kicked its rear end and went on living without a jaw because he was that tough of a son of a bitch

Nothing is sad about Bobby Heenan :colbert:

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I kinda hate people saying pictures of him the last few years are sad.

He was a cancer survivor who kicked its rear end and went on living without a jaw because he was that tough of a son of a bitch

Nothing is sad about Bobby Heenan :colbert:

It's pretty sad that someone's health failed for their final decade of life and they lost most of their ability to speak, something that brought them joy and fame. It's not like this is someone who survived cancer and lived until 90, he suffered for years, his health declined and he died not that old. It's very sad.

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!
Bobby Heenan has a kayfabe sit-down interview with Bob Costas in '89.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwilzinSXT8

Wrestling's missing these things today.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

MassRafTer posted:

It's pretty sad that someone's health failed for their final decade of life and they lost most of their ability to speak, something that brought them joy and fame. It's not like this is someone who survived cancer and lived until 90, he suffered for years, his health declined and he died not that old. It's very sad.

I dunno, sad to me is like Lex Luger, or Scott Hall, or someone similar. Someone who destroyed themselves and is just hanging on as a shadow of themselves. Sad to me suggests pitiable and pathetic. There is nothing pathetic to me about a cancer survivor. Its sad what happened to him, sure. But Bobby Heenan himself was not sad to see. He was a hero, and the fact he fought as long as he did should be seen as inspiring, not sad.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
You're thinking of 'pitiful' for those connotations. All 'sad' means is 'this made me sad to hear'.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I thought all those pics of jawless Bobby were his last round of comeuppance.

Saturday mornings for me as a kid were Gorilla and Bobby jawing about wrasslin while some jabrones do nonsense.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
The best heel commentator ever, and one of the best guys in the business period. He was so wonderfully petty, just pathetic enough that you love to see him.

Heckie Holmes
Jul 31, 2008

A pal of mine showed me this clip earlier in the year. I dunno how Lex kept a straight face through this.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x48r04

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
https://twitter.com/BrandonThurston/status/909804175680327680

shoplifter
May 23, 2001

bored before I even began
His calls in that match were so great because his long-term hatred of Hogan overshadowed him being a heel

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I felt so loving awful for Brain there. Hes just completely crushed and Tony couldn't give less of a poo poo.

Mister Perky
Aug 2, 2010
"How many children did Stu And Helen Hart have?"

"Bobby they had 12 children."

"Oh, one of each."

:confused:

:lol:

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!

dsriggs posted:

Bobby Heenan has a kayfabe sit-down interview with Bob Costas in '89.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwilzinSXT8

Wrestling's missing these things today.

All we get now are instagram pictures of people playing mario kart on airplanes and people who just beat the poo poo out of each other talking about how great the other person is.

Takuan
May 6, 2007

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I dunno, sad to me is like Lex Luger, or Scott Hall, or someone similar. Someone who destroyed themselves and is just hanging on as a shadow of themselves. Sad to me suggests pitiable and pathetic. There is nothing pathetic to me about a cancer survivor. Its sad what happened to him, sure. But Bobby Heenan himself was not sad to see. He was a hero, and the fact he fought as long as he did should be seen as inspiring, not sad.

It was sad in the same way a brilliant dancer losing their leg would be, or a great piano player getting arthritis. Is it as bad as dying? No, but it's still sad to see someone who was defined for decades by their voice, by their sharpness, their timing, their wit, someone who was an all-time great in their field be robbed of these things for more than decade before passing away. Yeah, he survived cancer, and that's great, but he didn't come out unscarred, which is sad at the same time.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Mister Perky posted:

"How many children did Stu And Helen Hart have?"

"Bobby they had 12 children."

"Oh, one of each."

:confused:

:lol:

I...don't get this one

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Several years ago I got up to the in-person-audition to be on Jeopardy, and the whole thing was about a dozen potential contestants in a hotel conference room running through the motions of standing behind a table and selecting categories and buzzing in and doing the "getting to know you" bits with a clearly bored woman who was the Alex Trebek stand-in.

I had already forgotten what I put down on my form in terms or interests/fun facts/whatever but I had apparently mentioned wrestling, so one of the questions I got was "did you want to be a wrestler when you were a kid?" and I said I never wanted to wrestle but I did want to be a heel manager/commentator like Bobby Heenan.

The Trebek stand-in lit up and said that she'd worked with Bobby Heenan on Celebrity Family Feud, and that he was an absolute delight, that they'd kept in touch and how she'd had dinner with Heenan's daughter recently and just what a funny, friendly person he and his family were. This was pretty much the only time in the whole process where she seemed like she was doing anything besides a job she'd doubtlessly done a million times before. I don't think we got to any of the other questions, she just talked about the Brain and how he was maybe the best/funniest person they ever had on Celebrity Family Feud in her time on the show.

I didn't get selected to be on Jeopardy, but it was still a nice memory. I was reminded of this when Meltzer talked about how universally admired, even outside of wrestling, Bobby was.

Shawn Cotureier
Jan 21, 2009

Still better than Umberger
My favorite Heenan bit was when he said Stu Hart had a picture of Helen on the back of his Boston Bruins jacket, isn't that nice?

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Bobby Heenan is my favorite wrestling person period. I knew I could never be a wrestler but I could be a manager. A fast talker ready with a quick insult.

My first time I remember watching wrestling was an episode of All-American Wrestling on a Sunday morning. Bobby Heenan and Gene Okerlund were doing something and I just thought it was hilarious. I started renting tapes from Blockbuster. There was one Coliseum home video that had a match where Heenan had to be put in a weasel suit by the Ultimate Warrior. It ruled.

I remember being sad when Monsoon threw Heenan off Raw and Elated when he showed up in WCW. He was a major reason for me sticking with Nitro over Raw for so many years.

Bobby Heenan was maybe the best ever. I think the closest living analogue might be Paul Heyman, but he's not nearly as funny. Larry Sweeney could've been the next Heenan but then he died, too. Maybe there'll never be another like him, which is too bad. We could use another Brain.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

IcePhoenix posted:

I...don't get this one

12 step program

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah at this point the last of the truly great mic workers is probably Paul Heyman

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

DJExile posted:

Yeah at this point the last of the truly great mic workers is probably Paul Heyman

Jericho
Reigns

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
https://twitter.com/RealMikeTenay/status/909804999785332736

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Don't remember the match, but do remember this exchange:

Schiavone: "... and Mr. Cheapshot comes through one more time."
Heenan: "Thank goodness for that."
Schiavone: "Thank goodness for what, Brain?"
Heenan: "Mr. Cheapshot comes through one more time."

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/TMZ/status/909915057177481216

the forever missing 6-star match

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

CrcleSqreSanchz posted:

I just saw him earlier this year. He...well you've seen the pics. But I got to shake his hand, and his wife's hand. He autographed my copy of his biography. I told him how he was one of my creative inspirations growing up because he was so goddamn good at his job. I thanked him for the years of good commentary and being a good human being. He grabbed my hand and nodded with a wide smile on his face. That made my goddamn day right there let me tell you.

RIP Brain. You are the best.

That's so loving cool. I wish I had gotten the chance to meet him. Brain was so awesome.

e: I think I have to rewatch the 92 rumble now.

Fenrir fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Sep 19, 2017

Mister Perky
Aug 2, 2010
https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6171w1

IcePhoenix posted:

I...don't get this one

Honestly neither do I (and I'm fishing for an explanation) but Heenan delivers it so perfectly it's hilarious anyway. My lead theory is that it's meta. HE clearly knows what it means, so it must mean something. But it actually isn't anything, it's just the delivery, and the worker is working you. 100% conviction and belief in what he's presenting, so you buy in.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy
Jesus Christ 1944? I didn't realize Heenan was that old. He was less than a year younger than my father would be.

AKA Driver
Apr 5, 2004
To the bubblecraft! Set control to hypochondria!

Mister Perky posted:

Honestly neither do I (and I'm fishing for an explanation) but Heenan delivers it so perfectly it's hilarious anyway. My lead theory is that it's meta. HE clearly knows what it means, so it must mean something. But it actually isn't anything, it's just the delivery, and the worker is working you. 100% conviction and belief in what he's presenting, so you buy in.

As a kid (and now) I'd always assumed the joke was that the Harts had a bunch of mutants, according to Bobby, instead of boys and girls. So, Stu and Helen had one of each of all sorts of weirdos.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

CrcleSqreSanchz posted:

I just saw him earlier this year. He...well you've seen the pics. But I got to shake his hand, and his wife's hand. He autographed my copy of his biography. I told him how he was one of my creative inspirations growing up because he was so goddamn good at his job. I thanked him for the years of good commentary and being a good human being. He grabbed my hand and nodded with a wide smile on his face. That made my goddamn day right there let me tell you.

RIP Brain. You are the best.

That's awesome :unsmith: One thing I wish I'd been able to do was see more wrestling people in person, especially with all the stories that go around. Brain was one of my favorites, him and Monsoon will forever be my favorite commentary team (JR and King being a close second). Dude had a wit and a knack for improvisation and ad-libbing on the spot, he really was a genius.

Linnear
Nov 3, 2010
"Janetty tried to dive out the window to escape! What an act of cowardice!"

That's the one I remember most fondly. Didn't really get most of Heenan's stuff until I was a good deal older though.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Jim Ross: Virgil is unconscious.

Heenan: Usually when Virgil is unconscious he's talking to you.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DN0vwRJglwI

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Mister Perky posted:

It doesn't have an explanation. There's a David Mamet movie called HEIST and one of the lines in it was "Everybody loves money, that's why they call it money." For weeks people were writing into Roger Ebert to say they didn't understand what it meant until Ebert said that the nonsensical part of it is the joke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!

Mister Perky posted:

There isn't much to get. Instead of going "oh, two kids, one of each [gender]" he's saying "oh, 12 kids, one of each [gender]" because they're a big, giant canadian freakshow troupe of mutant humanoids.

• Locked thread