Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Cojawfee posted:

What? Why? What if you've been using the sprayer and then need to use the spare tire?

The sprayer doesn't use much air. You were expected to check the tire pressure regularly.

Old VWs had no fuel gauges, either. They had an emergency tank to get you to a gas station when the main one ran out. There was a switch on the floor you could kick to change tanks. Again, you were expected to keep track of how many miles you'd driven and have an idea of how much gas you had left.

Old cars had a lot of stuff like that because they were cheap and electromechanical stuff was unreliable unless you spent a lot of money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Tell him about the crotch cooler!

And the spark plug tire inflator!

ionn
Jan 23, 2004

Din morsa.
Grimey Drawer

Deteriorata posted:

The sprayer doesn't use much air. You were expected to check the tire pressure regularly.

If you checked the spare tire pressure whenever filling washer fluid you're good, and I think it also came with a manual pump to fill things up if needed. Also many people overinflated the spare to get a stronger spray.

Deteriorata posted:

Old VWs had no fuel gauges, either. They had an emergency tank to get you to a gas station when the main one ran out. There was a switch on the floor you could kick to change tanks. Again, you were expected to keep track of how many miles you'd driven and have an idea of how much gas you had left.

It wasn't a separate tank, but rather a little bowl inside the tank that you would tip over by turning a handle, to pour the reserve out where it could be used.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

ionn posted:

If you checked the spare tire pressure whenever filling washer fluid you're good, and I think it also came with a manual pump to fill things up if needed. Also many people overinflated the spare to get a stronger spray.

It wasn't a separate tank, but rather a little bowl inside the tank that you would tip over by turning a handle, to pour the reserve out where it could be used.

I know about the foot switch thing because my parents had a Beetle when I was little. One time my Dad accidentally kicked the switch and as a result ran out of gas completely on a trip to my grandparents' house. My mother hasn't let him forget it nearly 60 years later.

The Twinkie Czar
Dec 31, 2004
I went for super stud.
I think the windshield washer system had a pressure regulator that was supposed to keep the pressure reaching the sprayers consistent and would stop leaching off the spare tire after it reached a minimum pressure. The Beetles made in the 80s and 90s for Mexico and Brazil eventually got an electric pump.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Deteriorata posted:

Old cars had a lot of stuff like that because they were cheap and electromechanical stuff was unreliable unless you spent a lot of money.

My go-to example for this is the "fuel gauge" on the Lightburn Zeta, c. 1963.

Wikipedia posted:

Fuel was delivered by gravity feed from a tank behind the dashboard. The fuel gauge was a plastic pipe running from the top to the bottom of the tank with a graduated glass tube section on the dashboard. As a Wheels road test in 1974 put it: "it read anywhere from full to empty depending on gradient, throttle and probably Greenwich mean time".

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

ionn posted:

I love this concept so much. So much.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Also, on the beetles, IIRC, the fuel gauge was a rod with markings on it that sat in a holder in the frunk. You then dipped it into the tank, took it back out, and did a reading.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
What the gently caress? Was that like the first beetle ever? Because even 50s ones had a fuel gauge.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

What the gently caress? Was that like the first beetle ever? Because even 50s ones had a fuel gauge.

My Dad's was a '57 and had no gauge. It may have been available as an option, though, I don't know.

Edit: per Wikipedia

quote:

For 1962, the Beetle received a mechanical fuel level gauge in place of the former fuel tap. The Standard model continued without a gas gauge until the end of the 1965 model year.

Deteriorata fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Sep 17, 2017

The Twinkie Czar
Dec 31, 2004
I went for super stud.
When Beetles got fuel gauges they had an R instead of an E. I'm not sure if that's a nod to the reserve lever of just a German thing. Until 1968 it was a mechanical sender, causing the gauge to move with hills and acceleration. But because of how disturbingly close the dashboard was to the fuel tank the cable was only a couple feet long.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters

The Twinkie Czar posted:

When Beetles got fuel gauges they had an R instead of an E. I'm not sure if that's a nod to the reserve lever of just a German thing. Until 1968 it was a mechanical sender, causing the gauge to move with hills and acceleration. But because of how disturbingly close the dashboard was to the fuel tank the cable was only a couple feet long.

The belt tension pic reminds me of the obligatory 30 sec bug belt change video

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BQhfcdQf1QA

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Ah, I had the year wrong. Good to know.

And yeah, it was reserve. The fuel gauge on my bus went to "R" about 3 gallons from dry. I'm convinced it's because they wanted to use a shorter, cheaper sender arm that simply wouldn't reach the bottom.

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters

And yeah, it was reserve. The fuel gauge on my bus went to "R" about 3 gallons from dry. I'm convinced it's because they wanted to use a shorter, cheaper sender arm that simply wouldn't reach the bottom.

Thats probably true because the porsche units fit the same hole and thats a tube style instead of an arm. Much easier to rebuild and more stable but at the time maybe it cost more because they use a lot of metal and are way overbuilt. Now i think its roughly the same replacement cost but it probably wasnt then.

E: eh looked it up the 356 used the arm, the tube came out in the 70's. A testament to how well the tube worked they used the same unit till 95.

DogonCrook fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Sep 17, 2017

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

Yeah, pre-62 there was no fuel gauge. Here's a guy selling the measurement stick: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1890438

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

$70 for an engraved stick.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Is it meant to be engraved aluminium? Or pressed steel?

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

cakesmith handyman posted:

$70 for an engraved stick.
While that's bad one of the stupider ones I'm aware of the BWM S14 factory spark plug wrench which usually sells around $400 - http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-E30-M3-...bdWJJw8&vxp=mtr

This is about median price since BMW did a short production run a couple years ago but the new one's don't fit as well and are thinner metal. Some people have found special sockets that fit but since the plug is so far down and there's so little clearance there's only a couple that fit.

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

They want people to freak out and run to the gas station instead of running the pump dry and damaging it. You can go a long way even on a modern car with the tank at "E".

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Well, depends on the car. The first day I had my Blazer I found out the hard way that the engine shuts off as soon as that needle touches the "E" line.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Basic math works, look up the capacity of your vehicle's fuel tank. Take note of how much you put in when near empty. A little subtraction and you know how much gas you have left at that point on the dial!

Though obviously you need more than one day with the vehicle to determine this. :v:

My prius starts nagging when it has a gallon of gas left. Which seems like a little premature but whatever.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

Memento posted:

Fuel was delivered by gravity feed from a tank behind the dashboard. The fuel gauge was a plastic pipe running from the top to the bottom of the tank with a graduated glass tube section on the dashboard. As a Wheels road test in 1974 put it: "it read anywhere from full to empty depending on gradient, throttle and probably Greenwich mean time".
Trigger warning that, as a former 4th gen Firebird owner that brought back memories of it's terrible gas gauge, a fault caused by the tank having a sloped bottom.

Anymore now I only put in $10 a week into my Impala and that gets the needle back to 3/8 to a 1/2 just depending on how low it was when I filled up and the current price of gas. I think I spend most of my time with the needle on the 1/8 tank line but it still scares me, I just can never fully trust a fuel gauge again after the Firebird experience.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

xzzy posted:

My prius starts nagging when it has a gallon of gas left. Which seems like a little premature but whatever.

One gallon is pretty standard. The Priusv makes its first and only nag at 8 miles to empty based on current consumption. It's a bit of a lie since we ran it uphill at "---" miles to empty for at least a mile, but most idiot lights I have experience with come on at 30 miles to empty or one gallon. This was neither.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

H110Hawk posted:

One gallon is pretty standard. The Priusv makes its first and only nag at 8 miles to empty based on current consumption. It's a bit of a lie since we ran it uphill at "---" miles to empty for at least a mile, but most idiot lights I have experience with come on at 30 miles to empty or one gallon. This was neither.

That's because the cruising range estimate hits 0 when you have a gallon of gas left.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

OTOH, I have an expedition that turns on the low fuel light with 5 gallons left in the tank.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Crotch Fruit posted:

Trigger warning that, as a former 4th gen Firebird owner that brought back memories of it's terrible gas gauge, a fault caused by the tank having a sloped bottom.

Anymore now I only put in $10 a week into my Impala and that gets the needle back to 3/8 to a 1/2 just depending on how low it was when I filled up and the current price of gas. I think I spend most of my time with the needle on the 1/8 tank line but it still scares me, I just can never fully trust a fuel gauge again after the Firebird experience.

Lol, for lovely fuel level senders look no further than GM. My god you turn a corner and it would go from full zero to full.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

SlapActionJackson posted:

OTOH, I have an expedition that turns on the low fuel light with 5 gallons left in the tank.

As a fellow expedition owner, that is a good thing because you really do need to get gas at that point. :v:

The only time I was really really stressed for gas was in my Expedition. I'm the type that knows "yeah, I got so much right now in the tank, gas station nearby, etc." no big deal. Drives my wife nuts because she has the opposite mentality.

Anyways, road trip, unfamiliar territory, construction, just standing still in traffic with no shoulder or wherever to pullover in a 5 mile traffic jam in case I ran out of gas while the needle is pointing at E was not fun.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Colostomy Bag posted:

Lol, for lovely fuel level senders look no further than GM. My god you turn a corner and it would go from full zero to full.

Yep, the low fuel warning light on mine is supposed to come on with 2-3 gallons left, but if I'm anywhere under a quarter and go up a steep hill, it beeps at me. And it's the same beep as, "your engine is about to grenade," so it's not a great experience.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

xzzy posted:

That's because the cruising range estimate hits 0 when you have a gallon of gas left.

Well then, that's way better than what the dash was telling us. The light came on basically as we passed the last gas before going through the pass from the 10 freeway to Joshua Tree.

Content, only 646 units affected at the time of the recall, but those airbag replacements are the gift that keeps on killinggiving

NHTSA posted:

NHTSA Recall ID Number : 17V545
Manufacturer : Honda (American Honda Motor Co.)
Subject : Incorrectly Installed Replacement Air Bag

In the event of a crash, an incorrectly installed passenger frontal air bag inflator may deploy the air bag improperly, increasing the risk of injury.

Make Model Model Years
HONDA ACCORD 2008-2012
HONDA ACCORD CROSSTOUR 2010, 2012
HONDA CIVIC 2006-2011
HONDA CR-V 2007-2011
HONDA FIT 2009-2012
HONDA INSIGHT 2010-2012
HONDA PILOT 2009-2012

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Memento posted:

My go-to example for this is the "fuel gauge" on the Lightburn Zeta, c. 1963.

That's more of a sight glass than a gage. Also that's the same way you checked water level in a steam locomotive boiler. Except if you ran low on water instead of stopping you blew up.

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!

Deteriorata posted:

This really isn't that crazy if you regularly ride a motorcycle, though. You just got to remember to check the trip odometer and reset it every fill-up.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

xergm posted:

This really isn't that crazy if you regularly ride a motorcycle, though. You just got to remember to check the trip odometer and reset it every fill-up.

And learn how to turn the fuel tap to reserve midway through a dangerous overtake that is suddenly without power.

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy

spog posted:

And learn how to turn the fuel tap to reserve midway through a dangerous overtake that is suddenly without power.

QFT.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

That's more of a sight glass than a gage. Also that's the same way you checked water level in a steam locomotive boiler. Except if you ran low on water instead of stopping you blew up.

Well, it was graduated, so it at least had pretentions to being a real gauge.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

spog posted:

My dad had old Beetles. Apparently it's better than the scooters with a fuel tap right under your date's thigh.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
From a page back or two, but seeing the stock headers of a modern Porsche is quite depressing. I mean, at least the french try.

This is how the stock exhaust manifold looks on a Peugeot 306 GTi6.

Fake edit: It's not a mechanical failure, btw. XU10J4RS, 2 liter NA 170hp.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
1) It's not a mechanical failure yet.
2) "Oh poo poo, this gearbox is too big, reduce the steering lock in one direction to clear it"

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

Dave Inc. posted:

They want people to freak out and run to the gas station instead of running the pump dry and damaging it. You can go a long way even on a modern car with the tank at "E".

My mazda 626 would do at least 40 or 50 miles on empty with the warning lights. My a4, when the estimated range left is zero... it isnt loving around. Zero miles were indeed left.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Colostomy Bag posted:

The worst were the Blazers in the 90s that had the anti-slosh module that always either hosed up or came slightly unplugged. I fixed so many of those in a year of working on car electronics. We used to stock both those and ignitions because GM is a terrible, terrible company.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

charliemonster42
Sep 14, 2005

InitialDave posted:

1) It's not a mechanical failure yet.
2) "Oh poo poo, this gearbox is too big, reduce the steering lock in one direction to clear it"

If it was anything other than a Peugeot I would say #2 would have to be total bollocks, but I know better than that...