Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Josh Lyman posted:

You mean like the DX Racer? Not really. But I know the car seat in my Prius is pretty comfortable for a 6 hour drive.

DX racers are race styled computer seats, which are different to the race styled car seats you see in sporty cars like a wrx, which are an order of magnitude different to buckets. Buckets are real bad to sit in, sporty car seats range from bad to okay.

the ergonomics of driving are very different to a computer. for starters, racy seats like that are designed to support against lateral forces while cornering. You also need a lot more movement while driving and you sit a lot more reclined than you would at a computer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!
Also good car seats cost upwards of $600, DX racer chairs are garbage in comparison to just about any car seat.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Also good car seats cost upwards of $600
Not if you get them from a junkyard from a car that just showed up 2 days ago

Which was literally something I was thinking of doing with a 2008 Prius leather seat last month. Would have been $49.50 plus tax.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Josh Lyman posted:

Not if you get them from a junkyard from a car that just showed up 2 days ago

Which was literally something I was thinking of doing with a 2008 Prius leather seat last month. Would have been $49.50 plus tax.

Yes, obviously salvage is cheap, I was talking about brand new, and the point was that they cost that much for good reason, mainly that they are built to last much longer than a DX racer chair.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Yes, obviously salvage is cheap, I was talking about brand new, and the point was that they cost that much for good reason, mainly that they are built to last much longer than a DX racer chair.
I'm not advocating for a DX racer since I've never sat in one. Just wondering why a car chair DIY isn't more popular.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

I think the big thing is that the way you sit in a car seat is pretty different from how you should be sitting in front of a computer. Also, in the realm of race sims it's certainly very popular. I've seen people that went to junkyards to get seats from Corvettes and Porsches and whatever favorite car they have to round out their cockpit.

Mofabio
May 15, 2003
(y - mx)*(1/(inf))*(PV/RT)*(2.718)*(V/I)
Looking to get a gamer chair to increase the length and intensity of my masturbations. My preference lies with "racer" designs, orange detail, adjustable arm rests. My budget is $3000.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Anyone try this chair? Costco has it for 100, pretty comfortable at the store

https://www.amazon.com/Bayside-Metrex-Mesh-Office-Chair/dp/B00IIP3KLU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Mofabio posted:

Looking to get a gamer chair to increase the length and intensity of my masturbations. My preference lies with "racer" designs, orange detail, adjustable arm rests. My budget is $3000.
You definitely want something with a mesh seat and back. Need to maintain airflow to prevent overheating during those long, hard masturbation sessions.

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.

Mofabio posted:

I have the perfect chair for you, it can handle this and more! For only $2950 I shall outfit you with a tried and tested chair that will exceed every expectation. Payment required in Bitcoin.

succ
Nov 11, 2016

by Cyrano4747

The Slack Lagoon posted:

Anyone try this chair? Costco has it for 100, pretty comfortable at the store

https://www.amazon.com/Bayside-Metrex-Mesh-Office-Chair/dp/B00IIP3KLU

thought about that but im sure the mesh would collapse after about 6 months

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Josh Lyman posted:

You definitely want something with a mesh seat and back. Need to maintain airflow to prevent overheating during those long, hard masturbation sessions.

I also recommend Pennzoil Ultra Platinum™ Full Synthetic oil for all your reciprocating surfaces. It keeps things up to 25% cleaner than the nearest competitor!

Mofabio
May 15, 2003
(y - mx)*(1/(inf))*(PV/RT)*(2.718)*(V/I)

VostokProgram posted:

I also recommend Pennzoil Ultra Platinum™ Full Synthetic oil for all your reciprocating surfaces. It keeps things up to 25% cleaner than the nearest competitor!

using that with an all leather exterior and custom plates

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

Josh Lyman posted:

I'm not advocating for a DX racer since I've never sat in one. Just wondering why a car chair DIY isn't more popular.

Because regardless of whether you use a timber or metal base it takes a moderate amount of effort to get the thing together and stable enough so it doesn't tip over. It's much easier (and about the same cost) to just buy a chair instead.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
My new job gave me a Steelcase leap plus because I'm real tall and have wide hips and it's loving amazing. Best chair I've ever had as a 6'4" person. The increased seat width makes a huge difference for my si joint. If you're or have wider hips I'd seriously recommend trying one.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I have a Steelcase Think and the width of the seat was the first thing I noticed about it. Doesn't sag in the middle and try to squeeze your hips together.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

The thrift store chair I snagged after moving a few months ago has seen much better days and I'm in need of something else ASAP.

There's a Staples near me that carries these two, gonna try them out and whatever else they have on hand tomorrow but opinions are appreciated.

https://www.staples.com/Staples-Kroy-Mesh-Task-Chair-Black/product_2260271

https://www.staples.com/Staples-Hyken-Technical-Mesh-Task-Chair-Black/product_SS2041594

In reality I want the Celle we use at work, but that price tag. :stonklol:

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

iastudent posted:

The thrift store chair I snagged after moving a few months ago has seen much better days and I'm in need of something else ASAP.

There's a Staples near me that carries these two, gonna try them out and whatever else they have on hand tomorrow but opinions are appreciated.

https://www.staples.com/Staples-Hyken-Technical-Mesh-Task-Chair-Black/product_SS2041594

Office chairs are one of those things where you pretty much get what you pay for, there are some exceptions like the Ikea Markus but that is by far the cheapest decent chair I know of.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

iastudent posted:

Pick your poison. They are both going to break down fairly soon.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
I found a Craigslist listing for brand new Aeron's that came off a show room floor. Intact warranty, and at least one of them is the refreshed model. He's asking $500 ea., which seems like a decent price. I'm considering checking them out, anything I should be aware of?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Anti-Hero posted:

I found a Craigslist listing for brand new Aeron's that came off a show room floor. Intact warranty, and at least one of them is the refreshed model. He's asking $500 ea., which seems like a decent price. I'm considering checking them out, anything I should be aware of?

Herman Miller warranties don't transfer over though if the showroom floor is also the seller and they are an authorized Herman Miller reseller, it might be fine.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:
I just picked up some chairs a library was giving away, but one is missing a part and I'm not sure how to identify it.
(feat high quality Craigslist photos~)

The chair:

Side view:

Missing part:

The only product name I could find on it was "Northfield Metal Products" on the base, but that seems to just be a company that makes tilters and bases and whatnot, not the actual chairs. Anyone have any idea what kind of chair this might be/what the missing part is?

e: Fwiw, a lot of the chairs that they weren't giving away are Steelcase, but as far as I can tell these ones aren't (although I really only know what the Leap looks like).

foutre fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Aug 29, 2017

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Herman Miller warranties don't transfer over though if the showroom floor is also the seller and they are an authorized Herman Miller reseller, it might be fine.

So what you are saying is verify the seller is an authorized reseller, and not some dude who got them off the back of a truck?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Anti-Hero posted:

So what you are saying is verify the seller is an authorized reseller, and not some dude who got them off the back of a truck?

In so many words, yes.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Post to ease finding old post.

edit: Guess I never posted my desk in this thread.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

don't buy a DX Racer, they're loving trash. Bad design, bad materials, bad construction and kind of a lovely company. They look kinda neat but seriously don't.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.

Thanks Ants posted:

I have a Steelcase Think and the width of the seat was the first thing I noticed about it. Doesn't sag in the middle and try to squeeze your hips together.

I have one of these at work and I'm pretty sure I'm gonna pick one up for home, I'm just balking a bit at the $900 price tag.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I had no idea they were that expensive - I paid £500 for five used ones about six years ago. For $900 I'd probably take a Mirra 2 over a Think.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl
For $900 you can probably get an Embody

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

evol262 posted:

For $900 you can probably get an Embody

This is the correct answer.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.
I'll have to try it out, I just really like the Think.

Blackfyre
Jul 8, 2012

I want wings.
Hi guys looking for a good chair, was looking at used aerons but after trying a new one with the new posturefit I was wondering about waiting for it. Looking to move soon so would be getting something to get me through a year roughly until all the moving and work done and I can get the Aeron then.

There was a local Aeron that was £250 with just the lumbar support but was an older one, was tempted but thought it might be a waste at this point. Anyone recommend a decent fairly priced seat in the UK? Only thing is with the move I'd like it to not be so huge so it looks nicer than what I have now (an awful racing chair I hate) and can slip under the desk. This means I'd like to really be able to lower the arms.

Thanks!

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.
I have this IKEA chair and I find it comfortable to sit in for several hours at a time. It has adjustable arms and lumbar support is managed using the adjustable height of the back of the chair. http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/products/chairs-stools-benches/office-chairs/volmar-swivel-chair-with-armrests-black-spr-89137245/

I like it, though I understand it might be a bit too plain or just not have enough adjustment for some.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

Budgie posted:

I have this IKEA chair and I find it comfortable to sit in for several hours at a time. It has adjustable arms and lumbar support is managed using the adjustable height of the back of the chair. http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/products/chairs-stools-benches/office-chairs/volmar-swivel-chair-with-armrests-black-spr-89137245/

I like it, though I understand it might be a bit too plain or just not have enough adjustment for some.

That's what I just got. Girlfriend and I both sat in Markus and we didn't like it that much. From what the salesperson told me they are being discontinued and I managed to snag the last one they had. I also remember seeing a version with headrest for bit more that was nowhere to be found now, which made me think it was just in my head. When we were going through the store there was one of the sale spots they have all over the place and lo and behold, there were 3 of them with headrests. I guess they sold badly so first they cut the headrests, and now they're cutting the series completely.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
Does anyone here have the Markus? I tried it out last time i was in Ikea and I couldn't get a sense of how comfortable it'd be a couple hours at a time. I've come to appreciate firmness in a chair but it might be the stiffest office chair I've ever sat in aside from ultra cheapo task chairs.

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.

lordfrikk posted:

That's what I just got. Girlfriend and I both sat in Markus and we didn't like it that much. From what the salesperson told me they are being discontinued and I managed to snag the last one they had. I also remember seeing a version with headrest for bit more that was nowhere to be found now, which made me think it was just in my head. When we were going through the store there was one of the sale spots they have all over the place and lo and behold, there were 3 of them with headrests. I guess they sold badly so first they cut the headrests, and now they're cutting the series completely.

I have the headrest on mine, it's not as comfortable as the rest of the chair and allegedly headrests make your neck weak from the laziness of resting against them. I usually sit too far forward to lean against it anyway. It's still a pretty great office chair. I wonder what they're replacing it with because it comes with a 10 year guarantee and if it fails in the next 8 years I'd like to know what to expect instead...

the1onewolf
Dec 19, 2013

Architect of all things Timey-Wimey
https://www.massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-flex-task-chair?utm_source=linkshare&referer=8LV8NS
You guys think this chair will be any good? Seems like a good bang for buck.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I can't see that link, assuming it's this - https://www.massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-flex-task-chair

Then it looks like a pretty standard Chinese mesh chair. There's no real hidden gem that exists here - things that are cheaper than the high end chairs are not as good as them.

Womens Jeans
Sep 13, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I work from home, so I want to get an Eames Lounge chair with the ottoman, then somehow have two floating VESA mounts letting me work while reclining. Any suggestions on some sort of desk that would work for this plan?

I ordered an http://altwork.com but they pushed their shipping back by a year, locked down their social media pages, and take over 2 months to reply to customer service inquiries, so I'm trying to get a refund from them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Womens Jeans posted:

I work from home, so I want to get an Eames Lounge chair with the ottoman, then somehow have two floating VESA mounts letting me work while reclining. Any suggestions on some sort of desk that would work for this plan?

I ordered an http://altwork.com but they pushed their shipping back by a year, locked down their social media pages, and take over 2 months to reply to customer service inquiries, so I'm trying to get a refund from them.

My suggestion is to get a Ekornes Stressless instead.