Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sinistral
Jan 2, 2013

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

I am going to take bold and novel stance: I have more confidence in Orville being a good show than I do for Star Trek: Discovery

I'm pretty confident that no matter how bad Discovery is, it will at least be better then McFarlane's warmed over TNG self insert fan fiction.

EDIT: Also lol why am I not surprised that goons are lapping up the show starring a mediocre as gently caress white dude while actively wishing for the failure of the show led by two women of color

Sinistral fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Sep 18, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

I am going to take bold and novel stance: I have more confidence in Orville being a good show than I do for Star Trek: Discovery

Your stance is neither bold nor novel.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Al Borland Corp. posted:

The positive reviews of the episode make it sound more cerebral than that.

Also the negative reviews seemed mainly about that it was clunky and preachy, not offensive.

A clunky, preachy episode of Star Trek? Such a thing has never been heard of!

Sinistral posted:

I'm pretty confident that no matter how bad Discovery is, it will at least be better then McFarlane's warmed over TNG self insert fan fiction.

EDIT: Also lol why am I not surprised that goons are lapping up the show starring a mediocre as gently caress white dude while actively wishing for the failure of the show led by two women of color

Ahh, there it is. "You only like The Orville because a white guy is in charge." I fully expect one of the critics (probably i09) to run with that soon.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Sinistral posted:

I really don't think anyone wants Discovery to be bad so much as they're bracing for disappointment due to the review embargo and development issues.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Sinistral posted:

Of all the poo poo to zero in on with Star Trek...

Discovery looks like it's going to be a joyless, grimdark slog. If it isn't, I don't think anyone in this thread is going to continue hating it because the lead is the wrong shade.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

The Lord Bude posted:

Your stance is neither bold nor novel.

:thejoke:

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I would love for the first new TV trek in 12 years to be enjoyable, but there's so much working against it.

Grimdark tone
Development issues
Review embargo
Trope reuse (they are apparently going to the mirror universe in this first season already)
loving CBS all access

The last is the largest hurdle. If you expect me to subscribe to a sub par commercial infested streaming service, I need to be really invested in what you are trying to sell me.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The new star trek can be worse than the worst of Enterprise and Voyager and I would still probably give it a shot, but not with this CBS all access bullshit.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Eh, the demographics for the show were 35+ year olds who were around in Treks prime days. The reviewers who are bashing it are mostly millennials that never got to be part of that, and generally ragged on Family Guy for the same things. The 80s. They don't get it.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Sinteres posted:

I really don't think anyone wants Discovery to be bad so much as they're bracing for disappointment due to the review embargo and development issues.

Definitely this (combined with CBS' streaming service). I can't think of any examples of a review embargo being "Our show is so amazingly awesome we want everyone to be surprised and delighted without being spoiled by reviews" instead of "Our show is so mindbogglingly bad we want to trick people into paying for a single month of our service to make a little money off of it before the reviews drive everyone away".

Personally I'm never going to subscribe to the CBS streaming service, and I got rid of all my :filez: infrastructure years ago and I'm not going to get it set back up for Star Trek so unless it appears on Netflix, Prime, or Hulu at some point I'll never see Discovery anyway. At that point the only reason I'd be "rooting for it to fail" is so maybe CBS says "Man, if Star Trek can't even get people to subscribe to our service maybe we should rethink it" (as if that'll happen).

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
The next episode's probably gonna be about Wortus' strangely gendered child so it's probably the one that made critics think the show was too preachy. Not that Star Trek shouldn't be preachy.

Azhais posted:

Definitely this (combined with CBS' streaming service). I can't think of any examples of a review embargo being "Our show is so amazingly awesome we want everyone to be surprised and delighted without being spoiled by reviews" instead of "Our show is so mindbogglingly bad we want to trick people into paying for a single month of our service to make a little money off of it before the reviews drive everyone away".

Personally I'm never going to subscribe to the CBS streaming service, and I got rid of all my :filez: infrastructure years ago and I'm not going to get it set back up for Star Trek so unless it appears on Netflix, Prime, or Hulu at some point I'll never see Discovery anyway. At that point the only reason I'd be "rooting for it to fail" is so maybe CBS says "Man, if Star Trek can't even get people to subscribe to our service maybe we should rethink it" (as if that'll happen).

Have you tried having your files infrastructure be a single program and a google search

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Am I the only one wondering if they're just going to leave the possibly thousands+ of prisoners in the zoo without a second thought or am I just not used to (mostly) non-serialization any more? TNG certainly left some episodes unintentionally hanging on some potentially troublesome notes. Maybe there'll be a throwaway line in another episode.

It's probably not going away but I'm skipping my way through anything that resembles the marriage drama in the zoo that was in this episode. The shuttle part was watchable but fuuuck anything that goes beyond that.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Kibayasu posted:

Am I the only one wondering if they're just going to leave the possibly thousands+ of prisoners in the zoo without a second thought or am I just not used to (mostly) non-serialization any more? TNG certainly left some episodes unintentionally hanging on some potentially troublesome notes. Maybe there'll be a throwaway line in another episode.

It's probably not going away but I'm skipping my way through anything that resembles the marriage drama in the zoo that was in this episode. The shuttle part was watchable but fuuuck anything that goes beyond that.

Didn't the zookeeper agree to trade the entire zoo for the reality TV for some reason? I figured that was why the child was free, to show it wasn't just the humans.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Kibayasu posted:

I thought the marriage drama was fine to the extent that it established it won't be an ongoing plot thread for a while at least, since they got any regret out of their systems. If it does come back immediately, it was worthless. Even if they end up together at some point, they need to spend more time interacting with other characters for now instead of being stuck in their own couple poo poo while the show's developing its ensemble.

I'd be fine with them just abandoning that plot thread altogether, but I can't imagine they were introduced that way unless it's something that's going to be revisited eventually. I just don't want it to be soon.

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Sep 18, 2017

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

I'm really hoping the realization that their relationship simply couldn't work is gonna lead to them becoming friends who've truly forgiven each other and can work together on the Orville but they never fall back in love. If the show did that I'd forgive it for a lot.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Yeah, I really hope their relationship settles on something fairly amicable but not romantic. If they keep pulling the will they/won't they crap indefinitely or if they actually get back together, though, that would suck.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

In fact I think how they handle MacFarlane&Wife's relationship is gonna be a litmus test for whether he can be truly subversive like Roddenberry or he's just a fanboy ill-suited to helm this project. 99% of TV shows with this setup would end up having the two back together by the end. So MacFarlane has a chance to defy TV conventions and show something that's never shown, and present it in a positive way. Like, becoming friends isn't a disappointment, it's their happy ending.

But Seth MacFarlane is the kind of person who would have Peter say "Boy Lois, that's less likely than a straight man and a straight women being platonic friends" and then it cuts away to a humorous example of that failing to happen.

And if he doesn't do it what's the point of even having the relationship? How does it fit in with the high concept or purpose of the show? If it ends in them being reunited it'd just feel like something that was superfluous and obligatory, like the show had to have romance so here it is. And it'd go against the show serving as an example of future people dealing with their problems in healthy ways, because I can tell you from personal experience that getting back together with your ex is not healthy.

Pakled posted:

Yeah, I really hope their relationship settles on something fairly amicable but not romantic. If they keep pulling the will they/won't they crap indefinitely or if they actually get back together, though, that would suck.

A small amount of will-they-or-won't-they would be fine and maybe even help the setup for the subversion, but yeah, if they do get back together or keep hinting they will throughout the whole thing I might stop watching just because of that.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Episode was good clean fun. I liked Alara's performance, especially the moments directly following a shot of "Selayan tequila." (She did a good job playing lightly sedated.) I think I dig it the most when it's basically blue collar Star Trek Voyager where they give the characters permission to talk like regular lowbrow human beings.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Jeb! Repetition posted:

And if he doesn't do it what's the point of even having the relationship? How does it fit in with the high concept or purpose of the show? If it ends in them being reunited it'd just feel like something that was superfluous and obligatory, like the show had to have romance so here it is. And it'd go against the show serving as an example of future people dealing with their problems in healthy ways, because I can tell you from personal experience that getting back together with your ex is not healthy.

Given Seth I'd give it about 40% this is the end of it and they're just a good working team from now on/40% they get back together with the finale of season 1 ending with Ed walking in on Kelly and Yaphit/20% continuing with the will they-won't they-oh god it sounded like a good idea but definitely isn't gimmick

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Ratings last night were good again. Only down %10 from the premeire and only down %3 in 'the demo' from the premeire, despite being delayed for football and the Emmys being last night. Guess we'll see Friday how it performed in its true Thursday time slot.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
I think, "blue-collar Voyager," is my favorite description so far.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Sinistral posted:

It's weird how you have no posts in the Star Trek thread :iiam:

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 days!
I want 3.75 inch action figures of Alara and Isaac and I want them now.

CassandraZara
Oct 21, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Beachcomber posted:

It's "impossible" because you can't make a qd chromosome set with 2 sets of qq chromosomes.

quantum anomaly blah blah
temporal inversion etc etc
exposure to Norm MacDonald's species and so on and so forth

edit: also two men are xy in humans so they could make xx

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

CassandraZara posted:

quantum anomaly blah blah
temporal inversion etc etc
exposure to Norm MacDonald's species and so on and so forth

edit: also two men are xy in humans so they could make xx

I didn't say it was impossible, the characters did.

CassandraZara
Oct 21, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
it's also impossible to teleport someone at warp speed but how many times did star trek do it?

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
The original question was "how did they know it's a female instead of a mutant".

I guessed "they used to have them in ancient history, but now they're gone, and a male/male mating shouldn't have been able to produce one"

I have no doubt there is a technobabble reason this happened. If they go with "sometimes poo poo just happens" that would be amazing, though

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

Sinistral posted:

It's true, you have seen to the heart of me. I am a super racist who only likes shows made by white dudes from Rhode Island.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

I am wholeheartedly expecting that all those skeezy turbochud critics were edging themselves hoping that the end of the next episode would involve a post-partum abortion because Family Guy In Space, and that actually we're going to get Bortus' partner taking the girl and leaving the ship to raise her in the utmost care of their culture or something like that.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Ramen Pride! posted:

Now I really need a toy or model of the ship to add to my spaceship collection. Because I think this show has legs and will stick around for at least two seasons.

It's an eclectic collection.

Same here. I have a bunch of Trek stuff and just got the Protector from Galaxy Quest.

I like the going-to-warp effect.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Didn't the zookeeper agree to trade the entire zoo for the reality TV for some reason? I figured that was why the child was free, to show it wasn't just the humans.

You could see spikey guy in the background when everyone was around the screen. Not a huge deal considering the tone of the show though.

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004
Am I the only one that noticed that the director was the actor who played Tom Paris, who was obsessed with vintage TV? Then the aliens ended up obsessed with vintage TV?
I really liked that.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Sinistral posted:

Lol

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Can everyone please start saying "MacFarlane & Wife"

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Sinistral posted:

This is literally the worst post I've read in over a week and I mostly read D&D and games.

Beachcomber posted:

If they go with "sometimes poo poo just happens" that would be amazing, though

Bortus' daughter is reverse Gannondorf

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I'm kind of wondering if they're maybe lying about their species being all-male. Maybe female babies are known to happen and are a source of great shame or something.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

CPColin posted:

I'm kind of wondering if they're maybe lying about their species being all-male. Maybe female babies are known to happen and are a source of great shame or something.

The Chinese Alien

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Selachian posted:

They've mentioned two other Union ships so far and they were both named for early aviation pioneers: the Chanute last episode, and the fake transport in tonight's episode was the Bleriot.

Anyway, this episode was a lot of fun, although I wish they'd found a better way to end it than a "reality television haha" joke.

That's an interesting detail, though it makes you wonder why one of the worst ships in the fleet is named after one of the most prominent aviation pioneers. Maybe in the future, they recognize Santos-Dumont's flight as the first and the Wrights are just footnotes in history.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Pakled posted:

That's an interesting detail, though it makes you wonder why one of the worst ships in the fleet is named after one of the most prominent aviation pioneers. Maybe in the future, they recognize Santos-Dumont's flight as the first and the Wrights are just footnotes in history.

They name them based on ancient aviation history, with ship performance loosely based on how well ancient aircraft performed.

The only crew in the fleet worse off than the Orville's are those poor bastards aboard the F-35

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

This episode felt more family guy then the last just with the like 50 modern day references, still has potential but I feel it's going the wrong way.