Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Last night I dreamed both Canelo and Golovkin bought adjacent Hollywood Hills mansions and Canelo exploited a zoning technicality to build a huge driveway through Golovkin's yard. I need to email Teddy Atlas and find out what it means.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed
Lost in all this madness is that Wilder-Ortiz is official until Ortiz's urine gives the tester radiation poisoning.

https://twitter.com/ShowtimeBoxing/status/909885112854155267

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

You don't yank on the Spine of God

The SituAsian posted:

Lost in all this madness is that Wilder-Ortiz is official until Ortiz's urine gives the tester radiation poisoning.

Please God, let this fight come together :pray:

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

hexwren posted:

I hate being right.

you agreed canelo was gonna be given the decision, so uhhhhh you were wrong

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

The SituAsian posted:

The stated undercard looks good:

Dominic Breazeale vs Bermane Stiverne
Daniel Jacobs vs TBA
Sergey Lipinets vs TBA (potentially for the vacant IBF light welterweight title)

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-41330470

Glad they banned this Floyd Mayweather ad before anyone got to see it a month ago

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!

Josuke Higashikata posted:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-41330470

Glad they banned this Floyd Mayweather ad before anyone got to see it a month ago
I'm more offended that they're stealing lines from Passenger 57.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Jake LaMotta passed away yesterday. Rest in peace Raging Bull.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
He's using mistaken guilt to fuel a masochistic career in heaven now.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The SituAsian posted:

this + Loma/Rigo seems too good to be true. One will get canned and the other will end with a bad ref stoppage because boxing is the sport that forever disappoints.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

The Ninth Layer posted:

Jake LaMotta passed away yesterday. Rest in peace Raging Bull.

I was stunned he was still alive when I saw him a couple/three years ago watching someone or other being inducted into the boxing HoF. Other than being older than dirt he was in stunningly good shape for a guy who made his living and reputation doing nothing but eating punches. Seemed to be able to walk ok, his speech wasn't terribly slurred or anything.

:rip:

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Grittybeard posted:

I was stunned he was still alive when I saw him a couple/three years ago watching someone or other being inducted into the boxing HoF. Other than being older than dirt he was in stunningly good shape for a guy who made his living and reputation doing nothing but eating punches. Seemed to be able to walk ok, his speech wasn't terribly slurred or anything.

:rip:

I think we both saw him at the same thing, and I think it was the mike tyson induction.

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

andre ward has- much like his passport over his career- retired. rip in peace

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

Let the P4P arguments intensify.

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

thehappyprince posted:

andre ward has- much like his passport over his career- retired. rip in peace

:byewhore:

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

He died as he fought - with a decision few people saw.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

Terence Crawford is definitely P4P for me, right now. Only person close is Lomachenko.

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

straight up brolic posted:

Terence Crawford is definitely P4P for me, right now. Only person close is Lomachenko.

I feel like that's gotta be the consensus right now.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

Maybe throw Anthony Joshua in the mix as well.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

sportsgenius86 posted:

Haha

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

sportsgenius86 posted:

Nice.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
RIP Occasional Boxer Andre Ward, I guess.

He was a dirty fucker but he was so good at it that I rather liked him for it.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
https://twitter.com/FoloPunch/status/910896663828549640

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

Make that Mayweather money last, Chino :unsmith:

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Ward is great, and retiring is probably a smart decision based on his reasoning.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

There's nothing left for Ward to prove. He conquered 168 lb and defeated the big boogeyman at 175 lb to become light heavyweight champ. The only big outstanding threat to Ward is Adonis Stevenson, a historical nightmare to negotiate with; everything after that is small potatoes. Cruiserweight would be a HUGE weight jump for Ward, I think I posted the physical dimensions of a lot of the cruisers a while ago but beyond that it's just a massive jump up in weight, as the 25 lb gap between light heavy and cruiser is the biggest in all of boxing. At some point every fighter hits their limit and for Ward that limit is competing in a weight class 30+ pounds above where he originally made his name.

Ward has a great legacy that will look better and better with age. He went into the Super Six a huge underdog in a stacked contest and came out of it as undisputed, undefeated champion at super middleweight. His win over Carl Froch in the tournament finals is a huge legacy win, he's arguably the only guy who beat the Cobra clearly and without controversy. Beating undefeated Chad Dawson was a great win at the time that has only lost its luster in hindsight because of how drastically Dawson's career cratered following that first loss. I still feel both Kovalev fights were competitive, but with distance taking the sting out of that bad second fight stoppage it's a lot easier to give Ward credit for pulling away against a tough opponent. He undoubtedly won the second fight and that will ultimately matter more than any lingering arguments over the first fight's decision.

Like all fighters, there are some fights that never came off for Ward that would have strengthened his legacy had they happened. A fight with Andre Dirrell in the Super Six was close to coming off and would have pit two very skilled American fighters against each other, but Dirrell left the sport for health reasons instead. Ward chased Gennady Golovkin for a while during his promotional down-years, but the smaller Golovkin was not interested in moving up to 168 lb or even meeting at a catchweight. Ward also sought Carl Froch for what may have been a big money rematch, but there wasn't much interest from fans or even Froch himself, perhaps because the general consensus was the rematch would end the same way as the first fight. Bernard Hopkins would have been a great feather on Ward's cap but he arrived at light heavyweight too late for the fight to happen. Other outstanding names that would have been good fights for Ward include James DeGale, George Groves, and Lucian Bute at super middleweight, and Adonis Stevenson and Badou Jack at light heavyweight. Oh, and Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. too for whatever that's worth.

I think Ward will have trouble comparing to other all-time-greats just on general lack of activity. He was never well-promoted and had to spend several years fighting to buck his contract with Gary Shaw, and unfortunately never gained the mainstream sports recognition he probably deserved as an undefeated pro with an Olympic gold medal. He also will suffer from having no major career rivals until Kovalev at light heavyweight, and how his legacy will be remembered may depend somewhat on what Kovalev accomplishes going forward. If Ward stays retired then questions will linger of how he would have fared had he continued pushing himself against other heavyweights like Stevenson and Jack, or whether he could have made the jump to cruiserweight, even against a "weak" titleholer like Tony Bellew. There's no question that Ward is one of the greatest of his era though. He emerged as the clear best fighter in an extremely competitive division and defeated against several fighters considered among the top pound-for-pound. He's retiring undefeated and at the height of his career, in good health and hopefully with financial security from the Kovalev matches, it really can't end any better for him than that.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

The Ninth Layer posted:

Ward has a great legacy that will look better and better with age. He went into the Super Six a huge underdog in a stacked contest and came out of it as undisputed, undefeated champion at super middleweight. His win over Carl Froch in the tournament finals is a huge legacy win, he's arguably the only guy who beat the Cobra clearly and without controversy. Beating undefeated Chad Dawson was a great win at the time that has only lost its luster in hindsight because of how drastically Dawson's career cratered following that first loss. I still feel both Kovalev fights were competitive, but with distance taking the sting out of that bad second fight stoppage it's a lot easier to give Ward credit for pulling away against a tough opponent. He undoubtedly won the second fight and that will ultimately matter more than any lingering arguments over the first fight's decision.

See, I'll never suggest that I know more about pro boxing than you do, but there's no way I can agree with this. I'm a Kovalev fan, and I'm more willing to concede the decision in the first than the stoppage in the second. Every time I see a replay of that finish it looks worse and worse to me, and my feeling is that Ward only began to pull ahead when he realized that he could punch Kovalev in the dick without being penalized. Is it the reffing equivalent of 118-110 Canelo? Probably not. But that doesn't mean it was good reffing or a clean win.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

CommonShore posted:

See, I'll never suggest that I know more about pro boxing than you do, but there's no way I can agree with this. I'm a Kovalev fan, and I'm more willing to concede the decision in the first than the stoppage in the second. Every time I see a replay of that finish it looks worse and worse to me, and my feeling is that Ward only began to pull ahead when he realized that he could punch Kovalev in the dick without being penalized. Is it the reffing equivalent of 118-110 Canelo? Probably not. But that doesn't mean it was good reffing or a clean win.

:agreed: the stoppage was the opposite of convincing.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

Neither of the Kovalev fights were convincing at all

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
i thought the first one was a clear win for ward and a big drama show in general. that second stoppage though straight up shouldn't count. atrocious officiating.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Fwiw I felt like Ward was robbed of the decisive finish he was looking for in the second fight. The ending should have been officiated a lot better, but I don't think kovalev was taking kindly to the body shots even before the low blow.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
I'm inclined to say this sticks like Bradley. Both have done great jobs getting paydays and, near as has been reported, both take care of themselves very well. As unsatisfying as the 2nd Kovalev win was there was no doubt that Kovalev was on the way out anyways and-while I think he always would have won-the thought of Adonis Stevenson catching him with something crazy would kill me inside so :tipshat: Bon Voyage Mr. Ward.

balancedbias
May 2, 2009
$$$$$$$$$

The SituAsian posted:

I'm inclined to say this sticks like Bradley. Both have done great jobs getting paydays and, near as has been reported, both take care of themselves very well. As unsatisfying as the 2nd Kovalev win was there was no doubt that Kovalev was on the way out anyways and-while I think he always would have won-the thought of Adonis Stevenson catching him with something crazy would kill me inside so :tipshat: Bon Voyage Mr. Ward.

So...has anybody mentioned that Kovalev's own trainer thought Ward would take him to school with body shots because Kovalev was getting too egocentric? I know the ending was bad, but it didn't seem out of nowhere.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

balancedbias posted:

So...has anybody mentioned that Kovalev's own trainer thought Ward would take him to school with body shots because Kovalev was getting too egocentric? I know the ending was bad, but it didn't seem out of nowhere.

That would be worth mentioning if the low blow at the ending had been the only low blows in the fight, which they weren't.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

CommonShore posted:

That would be worth mentioning if the low blow at the ending had been the only low blows in the fight, which they weren't.

I mean there were like 2 notable low blows in that fight, both in the last round

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Putting aside how I feel about the stoppage I thought Kovalev was gassed and had maybe another round in him. Maybe with a ref that gave him 5 minutes instead of stopping him he may have recovered, but I think by the time the fight was stopped Ward had him figured out for a while.

The stoppage itself was atrocious but that's not Ward's fault, I don't think Ward was throwing intentionally low either.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

ward was very likely on the cusp of winning anyway, but retiring after a questionable stoppage is pretty lol

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Protect your balls at all times.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I would have liked to see the Stevenson fight if nothing else. That'd be a fun way to roll out, but I'm not the dude who would have to get punched in the head by Stevenson so you know

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

I find your lack of faith... disturbing
lol

https://twitter.com/EditinKing/status/910845941745438720