Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

It's a promotion that car dealerships put on, instead of just saying "save 10%" or "save $3000" it's just "save money with employee pricing". (Might just be a USA thing?) The idea is that employees of the car dealership get a discount on buying cars there, and for this week only so can you!!!

I don't know anything about it but the entire American car retail system is ridiculous. This American Life did an episode about all the wacky incentives that dealerships try and exploit, I learned a few things listening to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Lutha Mahtin posted:

It's a promotion that car dealerships put on, instead of just saying "save 10%" or "save $3000" it's just "save money with employee pricing". (Might just be a USA thing?) The idea is that employees of the car dealership get a discount on buying cars there, and for this week only so can you!!!

I don't know anything about it but the entire American car retail system is ridiculous. This American Life did an episode about all the wacky incentives that dealerships try and exploit, I learned a few things listening to it.

One I got schooled up on when I was car buying is the difference between a factory/manufacturers incentive vs a dealer incentive. To put it simply don't factor in the manufacturer's incentive and focus on what the dealer is willing to take off the price of the car first. Instead of 2 grand I got 3 grand off the price of my car which was interestingly enough a grand below what True Price said was a fair price people were paying for the car.

EDIT: Im sure they still got plenty off me regardless.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Lutha Mahtin posted:

This is a great link, drat. I never thought to factor in when I went to buy a car and how it plays a part in how taken advantage of you were. I'm blown away that dealers actually take a lose on cars.

Also, car selling sounds like it's scammers scamming scammers scamming scammers, all while being scammed by the manufacturers.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I'm listening to TAL's "I Am Not A Pirate" episode and drat Somalian pirates are terrible at scamming. Why do they demand exorbitant, insane amounts instead of reasonable ransoms that people will quietly pay instead of going to the government and waiting months, if not years, to get them back?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Professor Shark posted:

I'm listening to TAL's "I Am Not A Pirate" episode and drat Somalian pirates are terrible at scamming. Why do they demand exorbitant, insane amounts instead of reasonable ransoms that people will quietly pay instead of going to the government and waiting months, if not years, to get them back?

If I had to guess, I'd say they're looking for that one big hit and get out. As opposed to having to make it a career of small paydays.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

If you're living in Somalia you could probably live like a king for the rest of your days off a $10k ransom, but people are greedy.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Collateral Damage posted:

If you're living in Somalia you could probably live like a king for the rest of your days off a $10k ransom, but people are greedy.

It doesn't quite work like that. If you're some dude with $10k in Somalia you're kind of hosed. That isn't enough to set yourself up as a warlord but enough that people with access to militias, guns, etc are going to want your poo poo. The end goal for these people isn't to live like a king in Somalia, it's to get enough money that they can GTFO of Somalia and live a decent lifestyle somewhere else. Give every person on your 25 man pirate crew $1 million and all of a sudden it becomes possible to for everyone to get set up somewhere else.

This is also why they need that single big cash out. If you take a $500k ransom for that ship you just jacked it isn't enough to pay out your crew, but it's drat sure enough that Al-Shabaab or someone else is going to come calling. Taking a bunch of smaller amounts in multiple hijackings to add up to that large sum isn't really an option.

Cyrano4747 fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Sep 17, 2017

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Cyrano4747 posted:

It doesn't quite work like that. If you're some dude with $10k in Somalia you're kind of hosed. That isn't enough to set yourself up as a warlord but enough that people with access to militias, guns, etc are going to want your poo poo. The end goal for these people isn't to live like a king in Somalia, it's to get enough money that they can GTFO of Somalia and live a decent lifestyle somewhere else. Give every person on your 25 man pirate crew $1 million and all of a sudden it becomes possible to for everyone to get set up somewhere else.

This is also why they need that single big cash out. If you take a $500k ransom for that ship you just jacked it isn't enough to pay out your crew, but it's drat sure enough that Al-Shabaab or someone else is going to come calling. Taking a bunch of smaller amounts in multiple hijackings to add up to that large sum isn't really an option.
these guys and my guys would have some interesting loving conversations

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

HEY GAIL posted:

these guys and my guys would have some interesting loving conversations

Seriously, I keep finding out the weirdest connections between 30YW mercs and the modern world. Maybe some mercenary company PMC can bring back poofy sleeves and ruffles as part of their uniform.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Don Gato posted:

Seriously, I keep finding out the weirdest connections between 30YW mercs and the modern world. Maybe some mercenary company PMC can bring back poofy sleeves and ruffles as part of their uniform.
It's because the 17th century was before the creation of a bunch of things (the modern nation state, the modern standing army, the governmental monopoly on violence, the belief that war is immoral and should be illegal), and we are seeing their dissolution

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Lutha Mahtin posted:

Pretty hosed up that legally you're mandated to deal with this scammy system if you want to buy a new vehicle.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

as a person who never leaves my house i've done pretty well for myself.

Professor Shark posted:

This is a great link, drat. I never thought to factor in when I went to buy a car and how it plays a part in how taken advantage of you were. I'm blown away that dealers actually take a lose on cars.

So wait, when do I want to buy a car?

Look for the worst salesman near the end of the month?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Platystemon posted:

Walk in at the end of the month, find the guy who looks most stressed out, give him an insane lowball offer and a throwaway email address, and walk away.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

Tunicate posted:

Walk in at the end of the month, find the guy who looks most stressed out, give him an insane lowball offer and a throwaway email address, and walk away.

Hmm, could work.

Maybe use a burner phone instead so you can pointedly ignore a call and hear him sweat on voicemail.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

HEY GAIL posted:

..., the belief that war is immoral and should be illegal), ...

Where exactly is this the standard belief?

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.

Platystemon posted:

My dad’s strategy was to bundle up, walk in on the coldest day of the winter, and keep walking around the lot with the salesman until he was so cold that he’d agree to anything just to get back indoors.

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Probably an implied *unjust there.

But to yank war into topicality: https://ratical.org/ratville/CAH/warisaracket.html

sweart gliwere fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Sep 18, 2017

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Blue Footed Booby posted:

https://www.theguardian.com/news/2017/sep/14/making-war-illegal-changed-the-world-but-its-becoming-too-easy-to-break-the-law

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

RE: TV licensing in the UK

You only need to have a licence if you want to watch broadcast TV or the BBC's catch up service (Iplayer). You don't need one to own a TV. So, if you don't watch TV (or Iplayer) you need to fill out a little form on the website and they leave you alone forever. Or at least until you move, because the whole TV detector van thing is bullshit; they have a list of properties in the UK, and they have a list of addresses that have TV licences. Then there's a list of people that filled out the form on the website. Doesn't take a genius to figure out which ones you need to send letters to, and if they ignore those letters then send someone round. There are at least three letters that tell you to go to the website or use the pre-paid envelope and provided form to apply for exemption.

Basically people whining about being harassed over the TV licence are either too loving lazy to fill out a very short form, or they have a financial interest in getting rid of the BBC, so they come up with all sorts of elaborate conspiracy theories about why the BBC are evil and out to send old ladies to prison or whatever.

Trouble is, a lot of the UK is dumb enough to fall for this poo poo.

edit: this isn't to say that you should let Capita's goons into your house. Absolutely don't do that. It's hosed up that the TV licensing thing resorts to that, but seriously: spend like five minutes filling out the form and they won't bother you. It's been like fifteen years and four different addresses and I've never once had a letter, let alone a visit, because I fill out the drat form when I move in.

Quote-Unquote fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Sep 18, 2017

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer

Quote-Unquote posted:

RE: TV licensing in the UK

You only need to have a licence if you want to watch broadcast TV or the BBC's catch up service (Iplayer). You don't need one to own a TV. So, if you don't watch TV (or Iplayer) you need to fill out a little form on the website and they leave you alone forever. Or at least until you move, because the whole TV detector van thing is bullshit; they have a list of properties in the UK, and they have a list of addresses that have TV licences. Then there's a list of people that filled out the form on the website. Doesn't take a genius to figure out which ones you need to send letters to, and if they ignore those letters then send someone round. There are at least three letters that tell you to go to the website or use the pre-paid envelope and provided form to apply for exemption.

Basically people whining about being harassed over the TV licence are either too loving lazy to fill out a very short form, or they have a financial interest in getting rid of the BBC, so they come up with all sorts of elaborate conspiracy theories about why the BBC are evil and out to send old ladies to prison or whatever.

Trouble is, a lot of the UK is dumb enough to fall for this poo poo.

edit: this isn't to say that you should let Capita's goons into your house. Absolutely don't do that. It's hosed up that the TV licensing thing resorts to that, but seriously: spend like five minutes filling out the form and they won't bother you. It's been like fifteen years and four different addresses and I've never once had a letter, let alone a visit, because I fill out the drat form when I move in.

I guess the only part of this that really puzzles me is why they didn't just make it a tax-funded thing, even the US funded PBS for a while. It still technically does, though it's a tiny fraction of its budget. People whinging about 'well I don't watch BBC' are welcome to otherwise shove it up their rear end along with 'i don't have kids in school' and 'why should i pay for roads i won't drive on'.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

What's crazy is that the BBC is awesome.

In Canada we just tax everyone to fund the CBC, which is a pale comparison.

CBC Radio is pretty great, at least.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Yeah the relatively peaceful post ww2 conditions enjoyed in the power blocs were totally because of strong institutions of international law and not the result of stability enforced by threat of global atomic holocaust.

Plus that period definitely wasn't ripe with nonstop postcolonial genocide everywhere in the southern hemisphere.

Teh Grauniad is just adorable.

E: legit thought this was the GiP Current Events thread please let this derail die

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Sep 19, 2017

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

What the crap are you talking about

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom

occamsnailfile posted:

I guess the only part of this that really puzzles me is why they didn't just make it a tax-funded thing, even the US funded PBS for a while. It still technically does, though it's a tiny fraction of its budget. People whinging about 'well I don't watch BBC' are welcome to otherwise shove it up their rear end along with 'i don't have kids in school' and 'why should i pay for roads i won't drive on'.

It's been covered in this thread before, but it's mainly to prevent threatening to reduce the BBC's budget by self-interested political parties in power.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

Quote-Unquote posted:

Just accept it and feed the bureaucracy! FEED IT

If this post had a mention of tea and cricket and were a touch less aggressive, it would be one of the most English things I've read on SA.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

U.S. Department of Justice
950 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW
Washington, DC 20535-0001

INTERPOL is the world’s largest international police organization, with 190
Member countries.
Our role is to enable police around the world to work together to make the
world a safer place. Our high-tech infrastructure of technical and operational
support helps meet the growing challenges of fighting crime in the 21st
century.
Email: https://www.interpolpolice56

Urgent Attention

We have this morning discovered that you have been making foreign legal
transactions with Western Unions, Money Grams, Diplomatic Agents and Banks with
West African Countries (Benin, Nigeria, Ghana etc.). We went further with the
investigations we found out that you don't have Money Laundering Clearance
Certificate, which is a major Federal Offence. You have violated the World
Federal Law, which constituted against smuggling of large amount of money and
trafficking of drug e.t.c., without having Money Laundering Clearance
Certificate before you commenced the transaction. You want to receive such huge
amount of money from UPS DHL FEDEX WESTERN UNION AND MONEY GRAM HEAD Quarter's
Benin Republic which is a foreign Delivery. Meanwhile we have stopped the
Delivery, not only the ATM CARD was stopped but the total Transaction of the sum
of ($2.7 million dollars)

Furthermore, be advised that according to the World Wide Law Enforcement Agency
together with the FBI rules and regulations, you are to obtain the document
from the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) Benin Republic which
is the origin of the fund in question. Also Note that you are to take care of
the documentation to be issued to you right away, because due to the content of
the document and how importance and secured the document is, you are to take
care of the document by sending them the sum of $85.00 US Dollars only to the
Economic and Financial Crimes Commission Benin Republic for issuing of the
document right away and your Payment will be release to you. That is the only
way the Economic and Financial Crime Commission Benin Republic will issue you
the document, because they are going to issue you the Authentic and Original
copy of the documents.

Note that your rights are limited; anything you SAY or DO will be used as
evidence against you in the court of Law. You have the full rights to remain
silent and obey the Law. Don't think we don’t know you or your address. We will
get you arrested if you fail to provide the document or pay for it to be
obtained from Benin Republic. The Arrest Warrant can only be withdrawn once the
document is obtained. There are three charges against you, which are:

1. Smuggling of a huge amount of money into your country without Money
Laundering Clearance Certificate is a violation to Federal Law. 2. Smuggling of
a huge amount of money into your country without a proper documentation is a
violation 2003 Federal Constitution, otherwise, called illegal transaction. 3.
it’s a Conspiracy, a Criminal Attempt and Disobedience to the Federal Law,
which will eventually lead you to 5-year imprisonment.

You Should Send The Money Direct To The Country Of Origin Of The Fund In Question
through western union or money gram money transfer system:

State/City: Cotonou
Text Q.: info
Answer: Yes
Amount;;;;;;$85
Receiver Name:EBELE OHIDE
Sender name: and MTCN is needed;

Once, you make the payment, attach and send to us the copy of the payment slip
for verification before sending it to the Economic Financial Crime Commission
(EFCC) Benin Republic.

WARNING: Failure to pay for this documentation is a confirmation that you
wanted to smuggle the funds into the country which is a federal offense and a
gross violation of the Patriot Act and legal action will be taken immediately
by arresting and detaining you and if found guilty, you will be jailed As
terrorism, drug trafficking and money laundering is a serious problem in our
community today. The UNITED STATE INTERPOL world’s largest international police
organization will not stop at any length in tracing you down and prosecuting
any criminal who indulge in this criminal act.

Sign: General Shawn A. Bray, head of the Central Investigation Bureau
UNITED STATE INTERPOL world’s largest international police organization

FBI WEB SITE http://www.fbi.gov/Interpol site http://www.justice.gov/Supreme
Court of United State
International Trade Court

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

And the footer of spam from loanequitymagazine.com

The only course is to try by all means, direct that. dogs by marrying their mistresses; the fine old-blooded idiocy of young Take the key, I say. absorbed Phileas Fogg until a quarter before four, whilst the Standard, I took a breathing space, set my teeth, and again The slave was back for another, the day after to-morrow, as brazen as alabaster. You were had been carefully oiled and cleaned. in phials, and quarrels with everybody, that end in your dying were as exciting a topic as the Reform Bill or the imminent horrors of Sikes and the Jew were talking, but they paused to listen. water-drinking kind. carriage, had had a chill in it. All the rest is to show what sort of intense disgust about his mouth. length combined, and came upon me, armed with sticks, stones, and heavy I never see such an out-and-out young wagabond, your worship,' Bulstrode He tottered across the lawn; circles of Middlemarchers who made no part of her life. hours together; but nothing was to be descried from it but a confused IN WHICH A SLIGHT GLIMPSE IS HAD OF SAN FRANCISCO melodrama which he had already seen several times; attracted, not by speaking nor spoken to, by any one who passed. She seized Mr. Again papa was silent. He left the letter at the office, ordering the messenger to tempest of snow, as if to pierce the mist which narrowed the horizon shut. Casaubon's uneasiness. disagreeable imputations--perhaps even in her mind, which others might "Ah! Come now, my friend--you will help? The calm of evening was upon the world as I emerged from the great to the Grange to-day as if nothing new had happened. father, or what was his mother's settlement, name, or condition. accountable beings. assure you it was rather comic: Fielding would have made something of associated with the work. Countrymen, butchers, drovers, hawkers, boys, thieves, idlers, and a bedroom-door, 'let us hear what you think of him. You refer to the possible hindrances from want of health? naked--no shoes, no stockings, no jacket, no trousers, nothing on but a Casaubon had been a dragon who had carried her off to his the entire width of the United States. would bless them in basket and store! one knew whence came his riches, and was mysterious and imperable in Why not to China? Hawley. anything the matter? Bowyer, I suppose--just as moaning wind. appearances of the trampling of men in hurried flight. We never undertook to do any thing, of any importance, things," he added, looking at Lydgate, "would be to me such relaxation apply to the regulation mode of cutting the hair: which he held to be volume.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

peanut posted:

U.S. Department of Justice
950 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW
Washington, DC 20535-0001

INTERPOL is the world’s largest international police organization, with 190
Member countries.
Our role is to enable police around the world to work together to make the
world a safer place. Our high-tech infrastructure of technical and operational
support helps meet the growing challenges of fighting crime in the 21st
century.
Email: https://www.interpolpolice56

Urgent Attention

We have this morning discovered that you have been making foreign legal
transactions with Western Unions, Money Grams, Diplomatic Agents and Banks with
West African Countries (Benin, Nigeria, Ghana etc.). We went further with the
investigations we found out that you don't have Money Laundering Clearance
Certificate, which is a major Federal Offence. You have violated the World
Federal Law, which constituted against smuggling of large amount of money and
trafficking of drug e.t.c., without having Money Laundering Clearance
Certificate before you commenced the transaction. You want to receive such huge
amount of money from UPS DHL FEDEX WESTERN UNION AND MONEY GRAM HEAD Quarter's
Benin Republic which is a foreign Delivery. Meanwhile we have stopped the
Delivery, not only the ATM CARD was stopped but the total Transaction of the sum
of ($2.7 million dollars)

Furthermore, be advised that according to the World Wide Law Enforcement Agency
together with the FBI rules and regulations, you are to obtain the document
from the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) Benin Republic which
is the origin of the fund in question. Also Note that you are to take care of
the documentation to be issued to you right away, because due to the content of
the document and how importance and secured the document is, you are to take
care of the document by sending them the sum of $85.00 US Dollars only to the
Economic and Financial Crimes Commission Benin Republic for issuing of the
document right away and your Payment will be release to you. That is the only
way the Economic and Financial Crime Commission Benin Republic will issue you
the document, because they are going to issue you the Authentic and Original
copy of the documents.

Note that your rights are limited; anything you SAY or DO will be used as
evidence against you in the court of Law. You have the full rights to remain
silent and obey the Law. Don't think we don’t know you or your address. We will
get you arrested if you fail to provide the document or pay for it to be
obtained from Benin Republic. The Arrest Warrant can only be withdrawn once the
document is obtained. There are three charges against you, which are:

1. Smuggling of a huge amount of money into your country without Money
Laundering Clearance Certificate is a violation to Federal Law. 2. Smuggling of
a huge amount of money into your country without a proper documentation is a
violation 2003 Federal Constitution, otherwise, called illegal transaction. 3.
it’s a Conspiracy, a Criminal Attempt and Disobedience to the Federal Law,
which will eventually lead you to 5-year imprisonment.

You Should Send The Money Direct To The Country Of Origin Of The Fund In Question
through western union or money gram money transfer system:

State/City: Cotonou
Text Q.: info
Answer: Yes
Amount;;;;;;$85
Receiver Name:EBELE OHIDE
Sender name: and MTCN is needed;

Once, you make the payment, attach and send to us the copy of the payment slip
for verification before sending it to the Economic Financial Crime Commission
(EFCC) Benin Republic.

WARNING: Failure to pay for this documentation is a confirmation that you
wanted to smuggle the funds into the country which is a federal offense and a
gross violation of the Patriot Act and legal action will be taken immediately
by arresting and detaining you and if found guilty, you will be jailed As
terrorism, drug trafficking and money laundering is a serious problem in our
community today. The UNITED STATE INTERPOL world’s largest international police
organization will not stop at any length in tracing you down and prosecuting
any criminal who indulge in this criminal act.

Sign: General Shawn A. Bray, head of the Central Investigation Bureau
UNITED STATE INTERPOL world’s largest international police organization

FBI WEB SITE http://www.fbi.gov/Interpol site http://www.justice.gov/Supreme
Court of United State
International Trade Court

Oh no, not the world wide law enforcement agency!

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
Dropping out of college and getting my Money Laundering Clearance Certificate was the smartest decision I ever made!

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

is the whole point of that to make it sound "dangerous". hey buddy it's legal to get shitloads of money, all you need is an american money laundering license. but if you don't get one the international trade court (is this even a real thing?) will haul you to PRISON!!

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice
Do these people not have access to native English speakers? Hell, for $100 paid in advance I would clean that up and make it at least read correctly. The first paragraph sounded good, but it reads like someone was having a stroke or getting hit on the head repeatedly as it went on. The English just gets less and less comprehensible as it goes on.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

MANime in the sheets posted:

Do these people not have access to native English speakers? Hell, for $100 paid in advance I would clean that up and make it at least read correctly. The first paragraph sounded good, but it reads like someone was having a stroke or getting hit on the head repeatedly as it went on. The English just gets less and less comprehensible as it goes on.

The whole bad grammar and slightly off phrases and spelling are a gatekeeper as well. It's very effective at weeding out all but the people most likely to fall for these.

To most people, it's a hilariously bad attempt to scam money so it gets deleted without further thought. A more well-crafted entreaty would probably garner more scrutiny and investigation from skeptics with the aim of loving with their revenue stream. The way it currently is, only the credulous follow up.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Send ;;;;;$85 to my account and I will proofread in 24 hours!!!!!

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
I'm gonna start writing all of my RFPs to sound like a weird scam email.

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug

Proteus Jones posted:

The whole bad grammar and slightly off phrases and spelling are a gatekeeper as well. It's very effective at weeding out all but the people most likely to fall for these.

To most people, it's a hilariously bad attempt to scam money so it gets deleted without further thought. A more well-crafted entreaty would probably garner more scrutiny and investigation from skeptics with the aim of loving with their revenue stream. The way it currently is, only the credulous follow up.

That one was so badly composed, though. Like maybe a patient but low-functioning schizophrenic could fall for it, but there's enough word salad that a regular dumb person or gullible auntie might not parse it.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I gotta wonder if the only people that fall for the "CHILD PORN DETECTED! Pay $1,000 in Apple Gift Cards or be sentence to one billion years jail time in pound-me-in-the-rear end prison." actually have child pornography on their computer.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

I’m the hard line breaks.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

The remote virus removal/help desk company I used to work for got a call for one of those scams but with the added benefit of the malware putting actual child porn on the computer. We didn't work on it because we didn't need that poo poo in our internal logs.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

goatsestretchgoals posted:

The remote virus removal/help desk company I used to work for got a call for one of those scams but with the added benefit of the malware putting actual child porn on the computer. We didn't work on it because we didn't need that poo poo in our internal logs.

Yup, this happened once to me in Geek Squad. It was on the lock screen of this dudes laptop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

Slag it on site, buy new hardware, and restore from backup.