Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Crabtree posted:

And speaking of that, did they ever do anything with Apple and Onion, Craig of the Creek and Summer Camp Island or did those get shitcanned?

They're all supposed to be 2018 releases.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

Crabtree posted:

None of the other 2016 era shows have lasted as long as NuPPG

actually Mighty Magiswords (and technically the Ben 10 reboot) is still around (though like nuPPG it doesn't air unless it gets new episodes).

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

The Ayshkerbundy posted:

actually Mighty Magiswords (and technically the Ben 10 reboot) is still around (though like nuPPG it doesn't air unless it gets new episodes).

Magiswords is sort of dead as I don't see them hocking the download codes anymore or put download blurbs on TV so it may or may not have lasted longer than power puff. That thing was always more bad phone game than show, like how I thought they'd be treating OK KO. NuBen10 is only lasting because of international appeal apparently. But it came out later than PPG 2016 so it has time to last technically longer than either show depending on if it even has toy lines and if it just goes into a several year long comatose with brief remissions of new episode bombs. But all three of them are more in states of unlife than actually mattering as kids entertainment.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I think NuPPG only lasted this long because they bought two seasons right off the bat; given the reception, I doubt it'll last much longer than that.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Watching CBeebies with my son this morning and seeing a genuinely funny piss-take of the "red wire? Blue wire?" trope followed by a Last Crusade joke on Hey Duggie made me wonder, weirdly, about what must it be like to be a writer on something like Everything's Rosie instead: where everything about the show is almost aggressively banal and simplistic and mind-numbing, with no humour and no action.

I'm a writer myself, and I've done my share of work-for-cash in my time, but never where there wasn't an opportunity to have some fun with what I was doing. But nothing I've ever had to sit through on Everything's Rosie (which even my 2-year-old now walks away from, and he'll spend 20 minutes transfixed by home-made CGI Thomas the Tank Engine knock-offs on YouTube where literally nothing happens) has shown the slightest spark of enthusiasm. I can't help thinking that the writers are sitting there going "gently caress, I wish I was writing Octonauts." It must be dispiriting as hell.

Small Strange Bird fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Sep 11, 2017

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Reminds me of the great moment in Trumbo: "Who wants to write a Gorilla Movie~!?" "Who doesn't? :haw:"

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Payndz posted:

Watching CBeebies with my son this morning and seeing a genuinely funny piss-take of the "red wire? Blue wire?" trope followed by a Last Crusade joke on Hey Duggie made me wonder, weirdly, about what must it be like to be a writer on something like Everything's Rosie instead: where everything about the show is almost aggressively banal and simplistic and mind-numbing, with no humour and no action.

I'm a writer myself, and I've done my share of work-for-cash in my time, but never where there wasn't an opportunity to have some fun with what I was doing. But nothing I've ever had to sit through on Everything's Rosie (which even my 2-year-old now walks away from, and he'll spend 20 minutes transfixed by home-made CGI Thomas the Tank Engine knock-offs on YouTube where literally nothing happens) has shown the slightest spark of enthusiasm. I can't help thinking that the writers are sitting there going "gently caress, I wish I was writing Octonauts." It must be dispiriting as hell.

I imagine the writers' room for a show like Caillou has Foxconn style suicide nets outside the windows.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I know on Rugrats, they had the infamous storyboard jam, where they'd just The Aristocrats up a mock storyboard to get all that frustration out.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

raditts posted:

I imagine the writers' room for a show like Caillou has Foxconn style suicide nets outside the windows.

Alright, just spitballing here, but what if in this episode someone else was Calliou? Really gently caress with their expectations.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.

Payndz posted:

Tons of new Miraculous details

Man, I knew I shouldn't have read that big of a spoiler block, but all the same I'm even more excited than I was before. It's gonna be great to have some longer, ongoing storylines. I loving love this stupid cute franime too, buddy.

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

ĄTerrible es el Guerrero de Tortuga!

Waffleman_ posted:

I know on Rugrats, they had the infamous storyboard jam, where they'd just The Aristocrats up a mock storyboard to get all that frustration out.

I need to hear more about this.

OptimusShr
Mar 1, 2008
:dukedog:

El Tortuga posted:

I need to hear more about this.

Here.It's realy hosed up sp :nws: and :nms: just to be safe: http://lostmediaarchive.wikia.com/wiki/Rugrats_%22Incredible_Storyboard_Jam%22_(1998_Banned_In-House_Comic)

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

ĄTerrible es el Guerrero de Tortuga!

Holy poo poo. I knew what to expect and that still surprised me.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Cartoon Network has been occasionally teasing Captain Planet things floating around in the bottom of their IPs.

The Planeteer outfits have kinda held up well at least for being distinctive without necessarily being stupid.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
So I don't go out of my way to watch Gumball but I just saw The Best and holy poo poo this show's the best.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Waffleman_ posted:

Magic School Bus!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GoiTW2zw80c

Eeeeeeh. It seems pretty....ugly.

Man, I thought we were done with that garbage flash animation stuff. I mean, compare this to the currently running (I think?) Curious George cartoon. Night and goddamned day.

Hell, Netflix might as well have just hired the studio that did the animation for Bojack Horseman.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Flash is the modern equivalent of Filmation or Hanna-Barbera Cartoon Hour, it's never going away until a cheaper option is available.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
"Flash" can look perfectly fine. What's bad is being lazy, like excessive tweening without tweaks.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Yeah Flash can be done well. The problem is that it's just frequently not.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

TwoPair posted:

So I don't go out of my way to watch Gumball but I just saw The Best and holy poo poo this show's the best.

Gumball fuckin' rules.

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe
Wakfu season 3 ended today and that certainly was ending.

Season spoilers:
Oropo was literally behind every villain in the franchises history, also he "wins" by creating a blackhole that destroys the planet. Season ends with I think the BoT becoming actual gods, I'm not sure.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

So CN didn't even have a countdown bug for the PPG event, which is another nail in the coffin of "They don't really care about PPG anymore."

Also this special is pretty underwhelming so far.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

I can't believe Bliss had to leave because her planet needed her.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Gumball's the best. I love the planet sketch, it's one of those brief glimpses at the fact that the makers of the show are English.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1UzSrPmgVA&t=28s

SlothfulCobra fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Sep 18, 2017

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
I just finished watching all of Voltron: Legendary Defender that is currently on Netflix.
It's not brilliant, but it's good for what it is. It's a fun kids show that does all the tropes, but with pretty good animation, solid voice acting, and some character development, sometimes. I think the biggest issue in the first run of episodes was that Keith was not well-defined, and Shiro was kinda boring. the academy three got a good long bit to establish themselves, and have more cartoonish personalities, so it was easier to connect to them. in late season 2 and season 3 Keith really comes into focus, and the telling becomes showing regarding his temperamental qualities.
Also the Voltron crew is way more interesting with Shiro out.
I really appreciate how active and competent Allura is, while at the same time having obvious personality flaws like the rest of the crew.
Really, there must have been some production issues, because season 3 is half of a season, and ends in a weird spot. Granted, it leaves on an interesting note. I didn't see the witch being Zarkon's wife and Lotar's mother coming. Speaking of mothers...I have a dumb, possibly wrong theory about Keith's mother. mostly due to Conservation of Characters theory, but there's already a connection between the characters, plot-wise. Anyway, I think Acxa could be Keith's mom. also Shiro has totally been Manchurian-candidated, and the Black Lion sensed it. also also, knowing Lotar is half-Altean...could he control the castle? final also...Lotar is somebody on the writing staff's ORIGINAL CHARACTER DO NOT STEAL. I described him to someone as "what if Admiral Thrawn was an anime bishounen".
Looking forward to season 4.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
NuPowerpuffs is just so... bad. Not even Olivia Olson can save them.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Like I've said, the show's basically been dead in the water for a couple months now in a dead-end slot.

Chibs
Jun 28, 2004

bring it back :guillotine:

Spatula City posted:

also...Lotar is somebody on the writing staff's ORIGINAL CHARACTER DO NOT STEAL.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
What's the point of replacing Ms Frizzle

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Macaluso posted:

What's the point of replacing Ms Frizzle

Edit: Woops, thought you said Miss Bellum. Um, I guess they couldn't get anyone to sound like the original Frizzle so just write her off?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Why even mention her then or have the same kids? Why not just take the core concept and just full reboot with a new cast of kids?

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?

Man, I wish Zarkon had that silly crown in the new show.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Crabtree posted:

Edit: Woops, thought you said Miss Bellum. Um, I guess they couldn't get anyone to sound like the original Frizzle so just write her off?j

Except they have Lily Tomlin as Valerie Frizzle in the show. She's just not the teacher anymore and is doing her own thing.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Waffleman_ posted:

Except they have Lily Tomlin as Valerie Frizzle in the show. She's just not the teacher anymore and is doing her own thing.

She's going to be in the Halloween episode where she teaches all about black magic as she calls upon the spirits of the damned to build her a new bus.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Spatula City posted:

I just finished watching all of Voltron: Legendary Defender that is currently on Netflix.
It's not brilliant, but it's good for what it is. It's a fun kids show that does all the tropes, but with pretty good animation, solid voice acting, and some character development, sometimes. I think the biggest issue in the first run of episodes was that Keith was not well-defined, and Shiro was kinda boring. the academy three got a good long bit to establish themselves, and have more cartoonish personalities, so it was easier to connect to them. in late season 2 and season 3 Keith really comes into focus, and the telling becomes showing regarding his temperamental qualities.
Also the Voltron crew is way more interesting with Shiro out.
I really appreciate how active and competent Allura is, while at the same time having obvious personality flaws like the rest of the crew.
Really, there must have been some production issues, because season 3 is half of a season, and ends in a weird spot. Granted, it leaves on an interesting note. I didn't see the witch being Zarkon's wife and Lotar's mother coming. Speaking of mothers...I have a dumb, possibly wrong theory about Keith's mother. mostly due to Conservation of Characters theory, but there's already a connection between the characters, plot-wise. Anyway, I think Acxa could be Keith's mom. also Shiro has totally been Manchurian-candidated, and the Black Lion sensed it. also also, knowing Lotar is half-Altean...could he control the castle? final also...Lotar is somebody on the writing staff's ORIGINAL CHARACTER DO NOT STEAL. I described him to someone as "what if Admiral Thrawn was an anime bishounen".
Looking forward to season 4.

There were some scenes in the initial trailers for Season 3 that never materialized in what aired, so the original Season 3 was probably cut in half. Which is why Season 4's air date is only two months away from Season 3's, compared to the seven month gaps prior.

It doesn't explicitly state that Haggar is Lotor's mother. Of course, she probably is, but there's a chance for vagueness (like the original) or a curve ball.

Rhonne posted:

Man, I wish Zarkon had that silly crown in the new show.

I want the weird finger scepter.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Just got round to watching the first few eps of OK KO and oh boy is it charming. You can tell Jim Cummings is having the time of his life basicly being Adventures of Sonic The Hedgehog's version of Robotnik with Boxman.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Sep 18, 2017

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I thoroughly believe that Season 3 of Voltron simply wasn't completed in time, and someone, somewhere, decided that you don't have to delay a season if you split it in half.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
I guess original Teen Titans is here to stay. That's cool with me since it's stopped the bitching about TTG.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

I thoroughly believe that Season 3 of Voltron simply wasn't completed in time, and someone, somewhere, decided that you don't have to delay a season if you split it in half.

The producers said in some convention interview that the executives just wanted shorter waits between episode releases, to keep interest in the show up. So they'll just be releasing in 7-6 episode batches from here on out.