Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull
There's this Akitio enclosure (they also make a 4 bay 3.5" enclosure).

https://www.amazon.com/Thunder3-Qua...nder3+quad+mini

I don't have any direct experience with Akitio so I don't know how good/bad they are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

BobHoward posted:

I don't have any direct experience with Akitio so I don't know how good/bad they are.
They make great eGPU Thunderbolt enclosures, so I'd consider buying one of their Thunderbolt HDD enclosures if I needed one. For now I'm still getting by with an old WD Thunderbolt dual bay enclosure that I've upgraded to 2x12TB drives. I can't find many reasons to replace it.

jawbroken
Aug 13, 2007

messmate king

EL BROMANCE posted:

Powered by SoftRAID puts me off immediately. Had nothing but problems with that software on a fresh system. Other than that it sounds good.

Yeah, I would never use SoftRAID (or hardware raid at this level). DkHelmet asked for JBOD, anyway. I bought the non-RAID version, which just doesn't come with software, and use mine for RAIDZ pools using the macOS OpenZFS port. Here is my fileserver:

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

BobHoward posted:

There's this Akitio enclosure (they also make a 4 bay 3.5" enclosure).

https://www.amazon.com/Thunder3-Qua...nder3+quad+mini

The current 3.5” enclosure is not Mac compatible. They have a new one “coming soon” that will be though.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

jawbroken posted:

Yeah, I would never use SoftRAID (or hardware raid at this level). DkHelmet asked for JBOD, anyway. I bought the non-RAID version, which just doesn't come with software, and use mine for RAIDZ pools using the macOS OpenZFS port. Here is my fileserver:

what if files, but too much?

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

I need a new 13" MacBook Pro, not a fan of the lack of useable ports on the current models but none of the PC laptops I've seen appeal to me and half have the same problem.

It's basically between a base model model on the refurb store with a 512 GB SSD or the one with the touchbar and what I'd gather is a faster processor and better graphics capabilites with a 256.

two vs four ports is irrelavant now as I'd need a hub regardless but I might be pissed not to have two extra in the future if they'd actually become useful at some point.

Is the upgraded processor/graphcs processor actually better? the benchmarks I've seen seem to rate the two computers fairly equally. What do you guys with the touchbar think of it?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Do you do a lot of ms office or like wysiwyg text work in safari? I find those TB shortcuts really useful! Chrome support isn't really there yet and I don't really like the photoshop integrations.

I actually like the ports, but I've been using display dongles for the MBA for years now so that doesn't really bother me and I like the plugging in one thing convenience tradeoff.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

What are you planning to use the ports for? The philosophy behind fewer better ports is that you should be doing almost everything wirelessly unless you need a superfast connection.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

The more i've read I'm almost certain I'm going with the touchbar model, now just need to decide on color.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

What are you planning to use the ports for? The philosophy behind fewer better ports is that you should be doing almost everything wirelessly unless you need a superfast connection.

hard drives/flash drives mostly, but I also occasionally use a mouse with a usb dongle for certain things. I'll be able to make it work with a hub but it's annoying to have to use one to transfer a file to or from a flash drive.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Thauros posted:

The more i've read I'm almost certain I'm going with the touchbar model, now just need to decide on color.

hard drives/flash drives mostly, but I also occasionally use a mouse with a usb dongle for certain things. I'll be able to make it work with a hub but it's annoying to have to use one to transfer a file to or from a flash drive.

Oh, Bluetooth peripherals are a worthwhile investment, in my opinion. There are also these if an adaptor bothers you a lot: http://shop.sandisk.com/store/sdiskus/en_US/list/parentCategoryID.11442900/categoryID.4834724000

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Thauros posted:

Dongles aren't that annoying with USB hard drives but for flash drives or wireless mouse receivers, they're annoying.

My biggest complaint is that this piece of poo poo:

Doesn't work with most external HD's

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Bob Morales posted:

Dongles aren't that annoying with USB hard drives but for flash drives or wireless mouse receivers, they're annoying.

What USB 3.0'hub would you guys recommend? Being able to use a USB 3.0 hard drive is very important

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Thauros posted:

What USB 3.0'hub would you guys recommend? Being able to use a USB 3.0 hard drive is very important

Disclaimer: That thing still doesn't work with a hub

The Apple USB-C to USB thing works perfectly, but you of course then can't charge or use your monitor on that USB-C port

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

Bob Morales posted:

Maybe pluggables version works? http://plugable.com/2017/08/28/plugables-usb-c-mini-dock-with-hdmi-usb-3-0-and-pass-through-charging/

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Hyperdrive

https://www.hypershop.com/collections/vendors?q=hyperdrive

they have different configs but the one that takes up 2 usb-c ports on the new macbooks has 2 available usb3.1 ports

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Strong Sauce posted:

Hyperdrive

they have different configs but the one that takes up 2 usb-c ports on the new macbooks has 2 available usb3.1 ports

Not much better. Very easy to bump it and lose your connections and incompatible with stuff as well.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Bob Morales posted:

Disclaimer: That thing still doesn't work with a hub

The Apple USB-C to USB thing works perfectly, but you of course then can't charge or use your monitor on that USB-C port

ugh, so I need to get the one that's just one individual port? I'm fine with losing a port since I'd be getting a version with four, but I'd like to be able to use two USB A devices at once

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Strong Sauce posted:

Hyperdrive

I had one of these and it was janky.

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

Bob Morales posted:

You're kidding me right? Like I wouldn't be able to plug in the USB hub cable from my Dell monitor into this that I currently use to connect my tablet & external HD?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Phoenixan posted:

You're kidding me right? Like I wouldn't be able to plug in the USB hub cable from my Dell monitor into this that I currently use to connect my tablet & external HD?

That's probably a powered hub, so it should be fine. I use the Amazon basics powered hub into a dodocool hub and it works perfectly. Plugging a hdd straight into it works fine too.

This one: dodocool USB-C Hub Type C Charger with Power Delivery Charging Port ( 3 USB 3.0 Ports, 4K Video HD/VGA Output Port, Gigabit Ethernet Adapter ) for Mac https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B06WWRDMKP/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apip_9qTk9eyywtH44

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Phoenixan posted:

You might be able to...depends on the drive though. Example:

Out of these three drives, only one works. The others show up in Finder but won't list any files, mysteriously disconnect, then hangs the loving computer so when you force it to shut down you can't power it up without some kind of voodoo. All 3 drives work great on their own with the Apple USB-C to USB adapter, and all 3 drives behave the same strange way if you plug them into the powered hub or directly into the HDMI adapter. If you look in System Profiler the built-in USB port on the adapter shows up as USB 2.0 (using the working drive).

I can plug two of the drives into my 2014 15" MBP and they also work fine.

Apple's USB-C to HDMI adapter has a 2 star rating. Half because of USB devices not working, the other half being display quirks and people not realizing it won't push a 5k monitor or 60hz 4k on some models.

https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MJ1K2AM/A/usb-c-digital-av-multiport-adapter

Some USB drives might not appear in the Finder when you plug them in. Try plugging the drive into the adapter before plugging the adapter into your Mac. Or try connecting the drive through a powered USB-A hub.
The following drives aren't compatible with the USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter or USB-C VGA Multiport Adapter:
G-Tech G-DRIVE mobile USB 3.0 Hard Drive
Apple USB SuperDrive manufactured before Fall 2010 (learn more)

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Is the new file system gonna make our Macs faster like iOS 11? Cause holy hell my iPad and iPhone got hella snappy.

Bob Sanders
Jun 21, 2009

Housh posted:

Is the new file system gonna make our Macs faster like iOS 11? Cause holy hell my iPad and iPhone got hella snappy.

iOS already converted to APFS back in March with the iOS 10.3 release.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

I’m bad at google, does anyone know if anyone sells a reliable US adapter for a MacBook Pro 15 inch 2016 charger?

https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MD837AM/A/apple-world-travel-adapter-kit?fnode=8b

This is the only official Apple product I can find but I just want the US adapter.

https://www.amazon.com/Replacement-922-9173-Macbook-Adapter-Extension/dp/B00BUA91TA

This should work right?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Social Animal posted:

I’m bad at google, does anyone know if anyone sells a reliable US adapter for a MacBook Pro 15 inch 2016 charger?

https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MD837AM/A/apple-world-travel-adapter-kit?fnode=8b

This is the only official Apple product I can find but I just want the US adapter.

https://www.amazon.com/Replacement-922-9173-Macbook-Adapter-Extension/dp/B00BUA91TA

This should work right?

Yeah the extension will work, but the one you linked is almost guaranteed to be a Chinese knock-off at that price. I'd be leery of it since the part that connects to the transformer usually has a really poor or non-existant ground connector on counterfeits (it's in the channel the ground peg on the transformer slides into). Even when you buy direct form Amazon it can be a crap-shoot at times. When I bought mine, I just purchased it direct form the online Apple Store.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Social Animal posted:

This should work right?

You want a 'Duckhead' or the extension cable

You can find them on eBay for $4 or someone that's into Macs would probably give you one for free. The cord might be a little more but they're also easy to find

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

When I moved to the US I bought a cord in Best Buy, as Apple sell them separately and they’ll fit a power brick from any country. Can’t remember how much it was, I’m sure it’s the most expensive 2 core cable on the market though.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull
There's a cheap option that you can buy at probably any electronics store in the US or online. Once you remove the "duckhead" block, what's exposed is an IEC C8 receptacle (accepts IEC C7 plugs) and a custom Apple designed grounding tab. So, if you don't care about grounding (and you don't have to, the standard Apple designed US duckhead doesn't have a ground connection anyways) and you don't care about it looking odd, you can use any standard IEC C7 to NEMA 1-15P appliance power cable. Example:

https://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters-2-Pack-2-Slot-Power/dp/B0153T1L46/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1505928025&sr=8-2&keywords=iec+c7

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Plus you could always spray paint it white if you find it offends your sensibilities..

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I'm helping my ex buy a Mac laptop and I could use some advice, I haven't bought a Mac in 15 years.

She's going to be taking courses in Photoshop, illustrator, and indesign but she's limited in what she can spend on a laptop and also she wants something small because she's got back problems.

I know that's not the ideal situation for buying a Mac, but could any of these do the job?

I'd think maybe the pro, but 128gb seems too small for the big files I'm assuming she'll have. And is the $889 air too weak with 4gb ram? Thanks.

$889
Refurbished 13.3-inch MacBook Air 1.6GHz Dual-core Intel Core i5
Originally released March 2015
13.3-inch (diagonal) LED-backlit glossy widescreen display with support for millions of colors
4GB of 1600MHz LPDDR3 onboard memory
256GB PCIe-based flash storage
720p FaceTime HD Camera
Intel HD Graphics 6000

$979
Refurbished 13.3-inch MacBook Air 1.6GHz Dual-core Intel Core i5
Originally released March 2015
13.3-inch (diagonal) LED-backlit glossy widescreen display with support for millions of colors
8GB of 1600MHz LPDDR3 onboard memory
256GB PCIe-based flash storage
720p FaceTime HD Camera
Intel HD Graphics 6000

$1019
Refurbished 12-inch MacBook 1.1GHz Dual-core Intel Core m3- Space Gray
Originally released April 2016
12-inch (diagonal) LED-backlit display; 2304-by-1440 resolution at 226 pixels per inch
8GB of 1866MHz LPDDR3 onboard memory
256GB PCIe-based onboard flash storage
480p FaceTime Camera
Intel HD Graphics 515

$1099
Refurbished 13.3-inch MacBook Pro 2.3GHz dual-core Intel Core i5 with Retina display - Silver
Originally released June 2017
13.3-inch (diagonal) LED-backlit display with IPS technology; 2560-by-1600 native resolution at 227 pixels per inch
8GB of 2133MHz LPDDR3 onboard memory
128GB PCIe-based onboard SSD
720p FaceTime HD Camera
Intel Iris Plus Graphics 640

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Tell her to get the cheapest one and sever. It absolutely won't be adequate but whatever. Sever.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
[quote="“Snowy”" post="“476598886”"]
I’m helping my ex buy a Mac laptop and I could use some advice, I haven’t bought a Mac in 15 years.

She’s going to be taking courses in Photoshop, illustrator, and indesign but she’s limited in what she can spend on a laptop and also she wants something small because she’s got back problems.

I know that’s not the ideal situation for buying a Mac, but could any of these do the job?

I’d think maybe the pro, but 128gb seems too small for the big files I’m assuming she’ll have. And is the $889 air too weak with 4gb ram? Thanks.

$1019
Refurbished 12-inch MacBook 1.1GHz Dual-core Intel Core m3- Space Gray
Originally released April 2016
12-inch (diagonal) LED-backlit display; 2304-by-1440 resolution at 226 pixels per inch
8GB of 1866MHz LPDDR3 onboard memory
256GB PCIe-based onboard flash storage
480p FaceTime Camera
Intel HD Graphics 515

$1099
Refurbished 13.3-inch MacBook Pro 2.3GHz dual-core Intel Core i5 with Retina display - Silver
Originally released June 2017
13.3-inch (diagonal) LED-backlit display with IPS technology; 2560-by-1600 native resolution at 227 pixels per inch
8GB of 2133MHz LPDDR3 onboard memory
128GB PCIe-based onboard SSD
720p FaceTime HD Camera
Intel Iris Plus Graphics 640
[/quote]

One of these two. The screen on the air sucks and she’s doing design work. 4GB isn’t enough and the ~$200 price jump buys you longevity—i wouldn’t buy anything with less than 8 GB RAM as a daily driver today.

Of those two, I’d lean toward the 12” for her but 13.3” for myself, but some people hate the 12” keyboard or if she has wide shoulders bending over it could also not help her back.

Edit: forget my answer, the poster above is far more knowledgable than I.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Snowy posted:

I'm helping my ex

lol

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Snowy posted:

she wants something small because she's got back problems.

She's addicted to pain killers. Sever the relationship ASAP.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Grassy Knowles posted:

One of these two. The screen on the air sucks and she’s doing design work. 4GB isn’t enough and the ~$200 price jump buys you longevity—i wouldn’t buy anything with less than 8 GB RAM as a daily driver today.

Of those two, I’d lean toward the 12” for her but 13.3” for myself, but some people hate the 12” keyboard or if she has wide shoulders bending over it could also not help her back.

Cool thank you.

Luckily I'm already way past the severing, just trying to help her get her poo poo together.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Snowy posted:

I'm helping my ex buy a Mac laptop and I could use some advice

Snowy posted:

Luckily I’m already way past the severing

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Snowy posted:

Luckily I'm already way past the severing, just trying to help her get her poo poo together.

:thunk:

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

ASK ME ABOUT BEING A GROWNUP WHO FUCKS A REAL DOLL

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

Tell your ex to get a used Pro 15" from 2013 onwards for $500. Desktop publishing (yeah I said it, unless she's working with 8K 360 maps) is not that taxing. So long as she's using a desk and not her lap to design on, the extra real estate is going to help her not strain. Or you could go over there and massage her back I guess. Is that what she's really asking?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

I interpreted that as OP helping her pick, not buying it for her.

That said, don't make being tech support for your ex become a thing.

[quote="“GutBomb”" post="“476599135”"]
Tell her to get the cheapest one and sever. It absolutely won’t be adequate but whatever. Sever.
[/quote]