Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Leraika posted:

Yeah, I was gonna comment on that, too. It seems a profoundly stupid idea to make the stat that gets lost first the preferred stat of the guy who's gonna be in the middle of combat all the time.

But that's just your fault for playing a dumb jock when you could play a cool technowizard :smuggo:

The thing is, Traveller (and I bet some other games) also does "damage goes right to stats so you don't have a separate HP stat", but Traveller also doesn't make you spend your stats to help you succeed at things.

You can almost see where the design fits together where the goal is to only ever attempt things that you will automatically succeed at (by reducing the difficulty to zero) so that you never roll and thus can't get any Nat 1 Intrusions, but the moment you have to push yourself to using Effort to do that, you're draining your own HP anyway.

I suppose it's possible that we're overstating this and it actually all works out in the end, but I'm really disappointed that they never even tried to modify it even slightly for the "2nd Edition".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The next stage of evolution.
Yeah, this isn't even a 1.5 - this is a glorified reprint with a setting book attached. Even Call of Cthulhu editions changed more.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

gradenko_2000 posted:

The thing is, Traveller (and I bet some other games) also does "damage goes right to stats so you don't have a separate HP stat", but Traveller also doesn't make you spend your stats to help you succeed at things.

You can almost see where the design fits together where the goal is to only ever attempt things that you will automatically succeed at (by reducing the difficulty to zero) so that you never roll and thus can't get any Nat 1 Intrusions, but the moment you have to push yourself to using Effort to do that, you're draining your own HP anyway.

I suppose it's possible that we're overstating this and it actually all works out in the end, but I'm really disappointed that they never even tried to modify it even slightly for the "2nd Edition".

I imagine that in those cases, you either had a choice of which stat got burnt or different abilities drained different stats, right?

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

occamsnailfile posted:

Of course, these are just the beginning characters, the disparity will grow over time. Also guess which stat Glaives have to spend to power their abilities? The one that takes damage first.

Starfinger has you spend "Resolve Points" to activate your strongest abilities. Resolve Points are also what you use for out-of-combat healing and to avoid dying when put into a downed state.

This sort of bush league mechanic is gonna be with us for awhile, it looks like.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

In fairness, Blades in the Dark lets you take stress to get bonuses, too, but it does it...actually well?

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

Halloween Jack posted:

This case study of "What if FATE but D&D" run back and forth through Google Translate is fascinating.

And is it Fate or FATE? I'm still not sure about that. Is it just stylized in all caps like KENTA and Japanese idol bands?

It used to be FATE and now it's Fate.

On the subject of Numenera, one of the things they changed for the video game was the introduction of a more traditional hit point bar -- so MCG have a concrete example of how the game might play if they threw out their death spiral mechanic, they just chose not to implement it for version 2.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Warhammer Fantasy: Realm of the Ice Queen

Men sing songs of better days, and wait for the taint to kill them.

Praag is marked by its great bridges and massive walls. The city has always been under siege in one capacity or another, being a big bastion of wealth and trade, and after every sack and fall they have rebuilt the walls before anything else. The southern gate is also the city's river-dock, because Praag is on the north-eastern run of the Lynsk river (one thing I've always appreciated in Hams is that they understand how important river and sea travel are compared to road travel in the time/context they're written for), which allows goods to flow out the south towards Erengrad and the sea. To the east is the great Mountain Gate, leading out onto the trade roads that will cross both the World's Edge Mountains and the Darklands to Cathay. And in the north is the Gate of Gargoyles, a long-suffering gate that has fallen many times over the centuries. Ever since the 2302 sack, people say the gargoyles are haunted, and that if anyone accidentally looks one in the eye it will hunt you down that night. No-one knows of this is true, but given all the other awful things Chaos dumped on Praag this wouldn't be out of sorts. The two great bridges of Old Town lead across the Lynsk, within the original city walls rather than the 16th century expansion walls. One is Karlsbridge, named for a great Ungol leader who first tried to lead Praag to secession from Gospodar domination. It was built by dwarven craftsmen, and so has never fallen in any of the sacks, despite the damage Chaos has tried to inflict on it. The northernmost bridge, the Bridge of Death, is so called because it leads directly to the training grounds and barracks of the city's citadel. Men and women cross it to become soldiers, and in Kislevite tradition, this is seen as going to your death until proven otherwise by surviving it. This bridge is haunted; anyone crossing at night will feel someone following them, and if they look back, a cloaked figure will draw nearer and nearer as they get further along the bridge, though it never catches up.

The Old Town is the core of Praag, and was spared the worst in 2302 because it was behind a second set of walls and defenses. Despite Kul's desire to destroy the city utterly, he did not have infinite time and settled for planting seeds of taint rather than the utter devastation visited on Novygrad. This area is safe enough, even at night, though the people can seem a little strange and forlorn. Old Town is marked by the original city walls, and its buildings have always been tight-packed to represent how people tried to use all available space before expanding the city and having to build a second set of walls 8 centuries back. Rebuilding proceeds apace here, both from the 2302 horror and the latest, lighter damage inflicted by the Storm. The area is still marked by the taint of Chaos, and mutation is much more common in the Praag Old Town than it is in most of the Old World. Those who remain...presentable are simply allowed to exist, because trying to kill everyone with a minor deformity like a simple third eye or extra finger would depopulate the city. Here in the Praag Old Town, you can find all manner of goods from Cathay, Ind, Nippon and beyond, as well as dark and forbidden relics and books, strange art objects, and exotic magical ingredients.

Novygrad is a nightmare. The region close to the north gate, packed with the poorest and newest citizens of the city, it was the first to be put to the corrupting touch of evil in 2302. It suffered so badly that the people of Praag have simply had to wall it up. Even burning the place to the ground, multiple times, has not quite erased the deep and abiding darkness visited upon the land. This is a place for cultists, criminals, outcasts, and rebels, because no sane person enters Novygrad during the day, and even the mad scurry back out of it at night. Sunworms, Chaos Slime, and other threats still live, oozing out of the basements where whole families were sacrificed by the invaders when the sun goes down. Wandering Noygrad at night is like a small taste of being in the Chaos Wastes; the streets will change where they go and where they lead. Buildings shift and move places. What looked like road becomes deadly quicksand. Obviously, this is an excellent place to strand PCs for awhile, looking for some lost valuable from centuries ago! The garrison tries to clear the place out occasionally, or put down the worst nests of corruption, but by this point it's just accepted that Novygrad may well be lost for good.

The Deep City, or Glubograd, was built ages ago by dwarf allies of the city and then promptly lost to the ages. The area beneath the town's citadel is full of vast catacombs, constructed on the order of Z'ra Zoltan, one of the city's past leaders. He believed that with sufficient engineering and aid from the dwarfs, shelters could be built that could protect thousands of people even if the city's walls fell and a siege or sack lasted for years. To that end, he asked his personal Ice Witch assistant, Walpurga, to research how they could replicate the sun down below in order to farm and grow crops, in case of needing to live there for extended times. Legend has it that she succeeded, and that down in the true Deeps of the city there are catacombs with sun and food and water, but that she also discovered some kind of strange and terrible power deep at the heart of the stone beneath the city. Something that made sure all maps to this 'True Deep' were destroyed, both in the Great War and before it. No-one knows what might really be waiting down beneath the salt-soaked crags, in those blackened arcades of antiquity... And if that isn't an adventure hook, what the hell is?

The Noble Quarter sits in the south east of the city, and as such has always been the least touched when Chaos damages the place. This is home to some of the greatest artists, museums, and architecture in all of Kislev. It is also where one finds the Great Opera House. Praag's Opera House is one of the joys of the city, and performances have resumed as soon as possible after every sack and every war. The people of Praag believe that their art, their poetry, and their opera are one of the ways to show they defy the Dark Gods' desire to destroy their city, and the Opera House is the most world-famous focal point of that struggle. The Druzhina of the city consider this one of their duties, and they pour gold into patronage and elaborate public festivals to keep the city from falling completely into despair. This is one of the parts that makes Praag my favorite of the various cursed and ruined places in the great human nations.

The Merchant Quarter is in chaos, as the refugees from the northern parts of the city that *aren't* Novygrad fled the attack by Archaon and took over abandoned warehouses and businesses to live in. The local merchants, whose trade is essential to the survival of the city (even before the corruption, Praag couldn't feed itself and the land around it was always terrible for agriculture), are mixed on whether this represents a wonderful opportunity or an unwanted intrusion. Some of the worst have turned to the flesh trade, selling refugees as debtor-laborers and slaves to the passing caravans. Considering that one of the races waiting in the Darklands on the caravan route is the Chaos Dwarfs...this is, uh, bad. The Merchant Quarter of Praag is usually not so dark, though. The furriers, silversmiths, and sellers of exotic goods are more common than the slavers, though crime is rampant wherever there is so much money to be made or lost. The Merchant Quarter of Praag is also unique for being rife with Ogres. Ogre mercenaries and laborers often accompany the caravans, because Ogres aren't evil, just very hungry. As long as the merchants can keep them in good food, a giant, boisterous mountain of muscle can be a good thing to have around.

Next: The Place of the Cursed City.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Mors Rattus posted:

In fairness, Blades in the Dark lets you take stress to get bonuses, too, but it does it...actually well?

I don't know about BitD, but balancing different choices of where to spend your resources is a fine mechanic that plenty of good games benefit from. It's more of an issue when the sole penalty for failing to balance properly means either losing your character or having to sit out on gameplay for an extended time. It's not a terribly interesting penalty to apply, particularly when there's no escalation or warning mechanics to give some indication of when you need to preserve your resources more carefully.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Mors Rattus posted:

Stress is a pool, not an attribute. You never resolve a roll against stress.

In Numenera your pools ARE attributes. This is the kind of thing that's so dumb you should try it out for one round of play testing and then trash it, but here it is in the successor of a popular? completed game.

E: Surely, Monte Cook has written a design blog on this bizarre decision. I'd love to read it.

DalaranJ fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Sep 18, 2017

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Numenera is a perfect storm of D&D sacred cows and bad design decisions.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.

wiegieman posted:

Numenera is a perfect storm of D&D sacred cows and bad design decisions.
The ultimate Monte Cooke production.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

but it doesn't come with a plastic hand statue to jack off with

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Numenera is yet another game that just staggers me with its lack of innovation. You're reality-hopping bearers of the secret power underlying all reality, who twist causality itself to your whim and change identities like coats... and just by pure coincidence the archetypes your mystical power can manifest in are exactly The Fighter, The Rogue, and The Wizard, and the primary thing you do in the multiverse is collect Magic Items that let you do things like see in the dark or shoot fireballs.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

megane posted:

Numenera is yet another game that just staggers me with its lack of innovation. You're reality-hopping bearers of the secret power underlying all reality, who twist causality itself to your whim and change identities like coats... and just by pure coincidence the archetypes your mystical power can manifest in are exactly The Fighter, The Rogue, and The Wizard, and the primary thing you do in the multiverse is collect Magic Items that let you do things like see in the dark or shoot fireballs.

That's actually a different game entirely, called The Strange.

Well, different game, same engine, and really nothing you said changes at all.

I'm actually kind of amazed they made it worse in v2. Wizard spells had fixed costs. Skill checks, which the not-wizards would be making, were made easier by spending Effort, and now dropping multiple levels of it is actually more expensive.

Unless they've changed the level-up math? Or it wasn't mentioned in the quickstart, because you can only put out 1 level at level 1.

RedSnapper
Nov 22, 2016

Night10194 posted:

The Deep City, or Glubograd, was built ages ago by dwarf allies of the city and then promptly lost to the ages. The area beneath the town's citadel is full of vast catacombs, constructed on the order of Z'ra Zoltan, one of the city's past leaders. He believed that with sufficient engineering and aid from the dwarfs, shelters could be built that could protect thousands of people even if the city's walls fell and a siege or sack lasted for years. To that end, he asked his personal Ice Witch assistant, Walpurga, to research how they could replicate the sun down below in order to farm and grow crops, in case of needing to live there for extended times. Legend has it that she succeeded, and that down in the true Deeps of the city there are catacombs with sun and food and water, but that she also discovered some kind of strange and terrible power deep at the heart of the stone beneath the city. Something that made sure all maps to this 'True Deep' were destroyed, both in the Great War and before it. No-one knows what might really be waiting down beneath the salt-soaked crags, in those blackened arcades of antiquity... And if that isn't an adventure hook, what the hell is?

Back in the dark, forgotten era of 1st ed. when the gods of Order were still a thing, wasn't Praag where Arianka was (supposedly) imprisoned?

Fake edit, after a quick googling: yes, yes it was!

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

RedSnapper posted:

Back in the dark, forgotten era of 1st ed. when the gods of Order were still a thing, wasn't Praag where Arianka was (supposedly) imprisoned?

I had no idea this was a thing in a prior edition (I don't know 1e well, it's literally as old as me) but it remains with the famed opera The Lady In Glass. An epic about a cursed Chaos Warrior who laments his fate, and who is drawn down to the deepest part of Praag to meet a beautiful woman imprisoned in a glass box who can only be awakened by his kiss. Even knowing she will destroy all Chaos afflicting Praag, and that that includes him, he falls in love and accepts his redemption by annihilation, saving the city by freeing the Goddess. Locals usually assume the Lady is Shallya or something. Locals also like to scam adventurers by telling them they know where the real Lady is, and by hiring unmarried women to sit in glass boxes for hours as attractions for the con.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

The gods are deffo still a thing in 2e, just...different gods. (So not Arianka.)

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I wouldn't really call them Gods of Order so much as normal pantheons of Gods that normal people would worship, as opposed to the crazy 'Kill everyone then yourself' Chaos Gods.

E: Yeah, looking her up, there's nothing like her in 2e. Just 'Normal Polytheistic Pantheon' vs. 'The Devil But Actually It's 4 Devils'

Night10194 fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Sep 18, 2017

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Oh yeah, there's no overarching 'everyone who is good and just worships these gods' gods.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Glazius posted:

That's actually a different game entirely, called The Strange.

Well, different game, same engine, and really nothing you said changes at all.

I'm actually kind of amazed they made it worse in v2. Wizard spells had fixed costs. Skill checks, which the not-wizards would be making, were made easier by spending Effort, and now dropping multiple levels of it is actually more expensive.

Unless they've changed the level-up math? Or it wasn't mentioned in the quickstart, because you can only put out 1 level at level 1.

The Strange and Numenera are pretty interchangeable. About as much as 1e and 2e Numenera, it seems. The big add-ons to The Strange are the ability to swap the adjective and the reality-jumping mechanics which is a glorified skill check with a big table of random crit fails.

Numenera is even suggested as an alternative prime world instead of Earth, and possibly a place you can travel to through the Strange Starjammer-style.

Speaking of The Strange I swear I'll keep going with my writeup now that I'm caught up on the thread again. Got 30 pages beind at one point.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

They kept the same mindbogglingly stupid health pool system from the first version. How does that even happen? Ive never encountered a person who seeing that doesnt instantly realize how dumb it is. The video game doesnt even use that and it slavishly kept several other dumb mechanical rules from the tabletop.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Barudak posted:

They kept the same mindbogglingly stupid health pool system from the first version. How does that even happen? Ive never encountered a person who seeing that doesnt instantly realize how dumb it is. The video game doesnt even use that and it slavishly kept several other dumb mechanical rules from the tabletop.

Because Monte "I would be flattered if the group bought this game for me, as it means that they think I'm a good enough DM to take on such a challenge." Cook is in charge.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
So, I parsed a few posts wrong...

Mors Rattus posted:

but it doesn't come with a plastic hand statue to jack off with

Glazius posted:

That's actually a different game entirely, called The Stranger.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Glazius posted:

I didn't put in the costs in the write-up because I didn't want to get too detailed, but Onslaught still costs 1 Intellect, same as it did in the first version.

For that matter, Bash and Thrust also continue to cost 1 Might point to use, though in all cases, Edge will reduce these costs (to zero).

Using Effort is less expensive. Whereas in Numenera 1, the cost of applying Effort is [2 + level of Effort], in Numenera 2, it's just a flat 3 Effort every time (with Edge also applying).

In both cases, there is a maximum amount of Effort you can apply, but these quickstart rules don't include leveling up.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
The damage system explicitly loving over melee then range then wizards is absolutely hilarious. Fragged Empire does the Stats as HP thing, but you have an ablative shield before that, which is easy to recharge, and also it's randomised what stats get dunked on so it's hard to feel too intentionally hosed over.

2menera posted:

* Rolling a natural 17 or 18 grants +2 damage. Rolling a natural 19 grants +3 damage, or a "minor" effect. Rolling a natural 20 grants +4 damage, or a "major" effect. Those effects are things you're supposed to make up yourself.

Could be exciting, are there no examples of major effect?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

So, I finally got hold of one of the few WHFRP books I didn't have, the Warhammer Companion, which I had thought had playable Ogres in it.

It does not have playable Ogres.

It is also the worst sourcebook in the line. Like, full stop. I suppose the random bits on a couple Tilean cities might be useful but all the rest of the 'articles' in it are stuff like 'Extremely complicated rules for running trade routes' or 'Suddenly we declare all Shallyans are poo poo at medicine but also here's 'realistic' medicine rules whereby you have to check for Quack and Infection and clean your wounds or cauterize them with gunpowder or-' or 'Hey here's rules for telling players they have to spend Fate to attempt to use Social skills'

It's awful. Absolutely worthless. It's hilarious. It's all the sort of super-detailed stuff no GM has ever used. And where all the 'detail' translates to 'gently caress your players'.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Cassa posted:

Could be exciting, are there no examples of major effect?

quote:

When you roll a natural 19 (the d20 shows “19”) and the roll is a success, you also have a minor effect. In combat, a minor effect inflicts 3 additional points of damage with your attack, or, if you’d prefer a special result, you could decide instead that you knock the foe back, distract him, or something similar. When not in combat, a minor effect could mean that you perform the action with particular grace. For example, when jumping down from a ledge, you land smoothly on your feet, or when trying to persuade someone, you convince them that you’re smarter than you really are. In other words, you not only succeed but also go a bit further.

When you roll a natural 20 (the d20 shows “20”) and the roll is a success, you also have a major effect. This is similar to a minor effect, but the results are more remarkable. In combat, a major effect inflicts 4 additional points of damage with your attack, but again, you can choose instead to introduce a dramatic event such as knocking down your foe, stunning them, or taking an extra action. Outside of combat, a major effect means that something beneficial happens based on the circumstance. For example, when climbing up a cliff wall, you make the ascent twice as fast. When a roll grants you a major effect, you can choose to use a minor effect instead if you prefer.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
So Monte Cooke believes that players should be able to have a cool narrative influence over the game about 10% of time. Truly a ground-breaking system.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Rolling very high on a die is an important part of a narrative, right?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Strange Matter posted:

So Monte Cooke believes that players should be able to have a cool narrative influence over the game about 10% of time. Truly a ground-breaking system.

Don't forget that Monte is the guy who defended his ludicrously expensive game by saying that play groups should band together to buy it as a "reward" for their DM's, completely ignoring the fact that some/most DM's run the games they like/feel comfortable with and getting a three hundred dollar game sight unseen is a gigantic imposition.
When asked about that he just went off on a self fellating spree about how this was the best game ever and any DM worth their salt should feel honored that their group considers them mature enough to handle Monte Cook's Plastic Hand.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Night10194 posted:

Rolling very high on a die is an important part of a narrative, right?

You joke, but there's no shortage of "and then ... he rolled a natural 20! oh man it was the best!" stories across this hobby.

I mean, that's no excuse for the design, but some people genuinely believe that.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

gradenko_2000 posted:

You joke, but there's no shortage of "and then ... he rolled a natural 20! oh man it was the best!" stories across this hobby.

I mean, that's no excuse for the design, but some people genuinely believe that.
So basically then the system is designed to codify those stories as core game mechanics, whereas every tabletop group in history has been doing that since the dawn of the medium.

It's such a shame too since the Numenera game world is so cool. I'd love to run it in, say, Reign or something similar (which actually HAS balanced Martial vs Magical mechanics!)

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

gradenko_2000 posted:

I mean, if we're being honest, one of my favorite gaming stories involves my character getting several critical successes in a row and divine-smiting the gently caress out of the climactic final boss of an adventure after literally kicking in the 3 story tall stone door of his temple.

Though that may be because the DM allowed for such insanity to resolve in the first place.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Kurieg posted:

Don't forget that Monte is the guy who defended his ludicrously expensive game by saying that play groups should band together to buy it as a "reward" for their DM's, completely ignoring the fact that some/most DM's run the games they like/feel comfortable with and getting a three hundred dollar game sight unseen is a gigantic imposition.
When asked about that he just went off on a self fellating spree about how this was the best game ever and any DM worth their salt should feel honored that their group considers them mature enough to handle Monte Cook's Plastic Hand.

Whoawhoawhat??? Numenara costs $300?!? :psyboom:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

SirPhoebos posted:

No. Monte Cook's Invisible Sun costs 300 bucks. That's the one that Cook was saying players should buy for their GM as a gift.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

gradenko_2000 posted:

No. Monte Cook's Invisible Sun costs 300 bucks. That's the one that Cook was saying players should buy for their GM as a gift.
Has there been a Fatal and Friends on Invisible Sun? I feel like I've seen one and just laughed at how important and beloved Monte Cooke thinks he is. He's like the American McGee of tabletop games.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Strange Matter posted:

Has there been a Fatal and Friends on Invisible Sun? I feel like I've seen one and just laughed at how important and beloved Monte Cooke thinks he is. He's like the American McGee of tabletop games.

It's not out yet -- scheduled for next spring.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Also someone would have to have paid for it to be able to review it, unless it gets leaked/pirated.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

SirPhoebos posted:

Kurieg posted:

In other news: Monte Cook's latest kickstarter is up, and it's a doozy.

This is the minimum tier, what do you get for all that?

My favorite is the plastic hand.

but it gets better, for $540 plus shipping you can have Monte Cook send you poo poo personally.

quote:

Pledge $539 or more
Control the Black Cube

I summon and control the infamous Black Cube from the void. I receive one copy of the Invisible Sun game, including one of eight random sun medallions. This spell also grants me a special secret of the setting tied to the sun that is active when I make my pledge.

I also gain access to the Directed Campaign run by Monte, which includes 12 months of material handouts and secret packages, sent to me and the other players in my group (see the Directed Campaign for more details).

Further, I get all the stretch goal rewards unlocked in this campaign, including new hardbound supplements, additional materials, and more.
Includes

• Copy of the game
• The Directed Campaign
• All Stretch Goal books and other items unlocked
• Medallion
• Sun-based secret

Estimated delivery Nov 2017

quote:

Imagine this: you’ve decided to run an Invisible Sun campaign. The rules aren’t too hard to learn, the setting material is easy to reference, and there’s some great introductory stuff, so you’re off to a great start. But what’s next? What if Monte himself provided you with a bunch of unique ideas? And those ideas came with new artwork, maps, and handouts for your players, and even a few new clues to mysteries in the game besides? And what if, month after month, he kept sending them to you, and occasionally sent you physical packages with even more deluxe props and cool stuff for your game?

Or imagine this: you’re a player in an Invisible Sun campaign. One day, you go to your mailbox and there’s a letter addressed to your character. Inside is an in-world missive about a new opportunity for your character—an invitation to an exclusive party, a welcome letter to a hidden society, or a love letter from a secret admirer who would like to meet your character. You show up at the next game session with this, and suddenly it becomes a part of the game, and a part of your character’s story arc.
You also gain access to the stretch goals only if you back at the $540 tier or higher.

Did i mention that there's a higher?

quote:

Pledge $1,475 or more
Master the Black Cube

I summon and control the infamous Black Cube from the void. In this world of secrets, I will possess secrets that no one else has. I receive a unique copy of the Invisible Sun game.

The unique game includes a personalized note that Monte writes to me, including a singular secret of the setting that only I will ever have access to. The box is signed and personalized, and also includes a unique, secret element that will only be true for my copy.

I also gain access to the Directed Campaign run by Monte and all the stretch goal rewards unlocked in this campaign, including new hardbound supplements, additions to the box, and more.

My conjuration also includes all eight sun medallions and a special medallion keyed to the Invisible Sun itself. Only 17 (plus one that Monte will have) of these special medallions will be made. I also gain all the sun-based secrets of the setting, regardless of when I make my pledge.

Plus, I get early access to the game’s rules and can be a part of the playtest, providing feedback. During this process, I’ll provide a character name that will be incorporated into the setting (probably with a spell named after me).

This incredibly potent spell also summons Monte himself for a one-on-one Skype chat with me where I can ask him questions and he reveals secrets of the setting and game available nowhere else.
Includes

• Unique copy of the game signed and personalized by Monte
• The Directed Campaign
• Character/spell named after me
• One-on-one chat with Monte
• Early playtest access
• Medallion (x8)
• Special 9th Invisible Sun medallion
• All Sun-based secrets

Ships to Anywhere in the world
This is also the first level you gain Playtest access at, Or you can add it on.

And if you're absolutely insane?

quote:

Pledge $5,912 or more
Merge With the Black Cube

I summon and merge with the infamous Black Cube from the void. I become one with it. I receive a unique copy of the Invisible Sun game.

The box of this unique copy of the game includes my name in red foil and a special foil symbol found nowhere else—one of the Invisible Sun artists designs it just for me. It includes a personalized note that Monte writes to me, including a singular secret of the setting that only I will ever have access to. The box is signed and personalized, and also includes a unique, secret element that will be true only for my copy.

I also gain access to the Directed Campaign run by Monte, including direct contact with Monte to gain advice and suggestions just for me. I receive all the stretch goal rewards unlocked in this campaign, including new hardbound supplements, additions to the box, and more.

My conjuration includes special bronze versions of all eight sun medallions and the Invisible Sun medallion. No more than 3 (plus one that Monte will have) of these special medallion sets will be made. I also gain all the sun-based secrets of the setting, regardless of when I make my pledge.

I get early access to the game’s rules and can be a part of the playtest, providing feedback. During this process, I’ll provide a character name that will be incorporated into the setting (probably with a spell named after me).

With the power of this spell I will meet with Monte and the entire Monte Cook Games design team for an in-person game session in Seattle. (Travel expenses to Seattle not included.) After this game, Monte will reveal secrets of the setting and game available nowhere else.
Includes

• Unique copy of the game signed and personalized by Monte
• Special access version of the Directed Campaign
• Character/spell named after me
• Early playtest access
• Special bronze medallions (x9)
• Game with the MCG design team
• All Sun-based secrets

That is unless you're a verfied retailer, then you get 3 copies of the game at half off.

Mors Rattus posted:

Also someone would have to have paid for it to be able to review it, unless it gets leaked/pirated.

That would be a lot of pirating, remember?
https://i.imgur.com/4FJGjov.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

Wouldn't you give this man your money?