Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Phantom character of the year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

GreenNight posted:

What, you can respec characters in Rabbits?

You can literally do it inside battles (but only during the opening tactics screen). Basically if you look at a map and decide you want a certain skill for it you can do it right there.

I think for some of the challenges I would respec on the start menu right away.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I do not understand the challenges where you have 1 turn to get a character to a certain square and the map is jam packed with enemies and ability shot chances are turned up.

All that matters is if you have enough movement to get in position to team jump to the spot, the enemies or ability shots are completely pointless. The only exception I've seen to that so far was one where you had to have Mario bounce off a guy to reach his spot.

I don't mind these challenges because they're easy, but usually marked as the hardest, so I'm not sure I get the gimmick or if there's some tougher more thoughtful way these are supposed to be approached other than "Max out Luigi"

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
Gal Metal Teaser

I hope this comes to the West.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

That's a Wii U game, you can't fool me!

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

I could only ever finish RPGs on the DS/3DS so I gave Octopath a try since it'll be portable and it's drat fun. Looking forward to it and XC2

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I do not understand the challenges where you have 1 turn to get a character to a certain square and the map is jam packed with enemies and ability shot chances are turned up.

All that matters is if you have enough movement to get in position to team jump to the spot, the enemies or ability shots are completely pointless. The only exception I've seen to that so far was one where you had to have Mario bounce off a guy to reach his spot.

I don't mind these challenges because they're easy, but usually marked as the hardest, so I'm not sure I get the gimmick or if there's some tougher more thoughtful way these are supposed to be approached other than "Max out Luigi"

The ability shots are important. I've only seen one so far 1-3, you need to have the enemy hit Mario to bounce him into position.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Tender Bender posted:

The ability shots are important. I've only seen one so far 1-3, you need to have the enemy hit Mario to bounce him into position.

Hah, I just got a maxed out Luigi over there with itchy feet and team jumping.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Speedy Luigi breaks every "reach area" challenge.

E: put Phantom in Smash

Dr Cheeto fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Sep 19, 2017

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

He can move 12 spaces, and jump twice, up to seven or eight spaces for each of those. He's a golden god.

I am disappointed Mario doesn't have a "jump off consecutive enemies" skill though. That's a character trademark. Maybe it would be too powerful.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

lol in 20 years are we gonna be seeing our next generation of kids discussing Rabbid Phantom as a weird, obscure Mario character, or as a first appearance of a beloved character?

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Al Borland Corp. posted:

There is one challenge where this is not true in world 4. But yeah Luigi trivializes a lot of those

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

There are a couple where Luigi is Not Enough. I also like that pipe exit movement is separate from normal movement range so there are some maps where Itchy Feet is not an "I Win" button and there are other characters worth using.

well why not posted:

lol in 20 years are we gonna be seeing our next generation of kids discussing Rabbid Phantom as a weird, obscure Mario character, or as a first appearance of a beloved character?

Beep-0's total credulity over "Tom Phan" was where I turned around on the character and also when I realized the writing in the game was actually great

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

This is Canada. It snows nine months of the year, and hails the other three.

Black King Conga posted:

Sooo I guess I am buying a Switch. I have never owned a nintendo console ever and thought this is the perfect time to jump in. I will definitely get Zelda but am torn between Mario Kart 8 and that Mario + Rabbids game. I will be getting one or the other in the future anyway so, my question is, which one should I get first?

Also a glass screen protector is a must I assume? I've heard the screen can get scratches quite easily.

I play an unhealthy amount of Mario Kart, and I would recommend it to anyone. However, if either of you used Automatic drifting in previous games it is no longer an option, which pisses off my girlfriend to no end.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Jade Mage posted:

I play an unhealthy amount of Mario Kart, and I would recommend it to anyone. However, if either of you used Automatic drifting in previous games it is no longer an option, which pisses off my girlfriend to no end.

That sounds like it would suck all the fun out of the game. All you gotta do to drift is just hop... then fiddle with the analog stick...

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Jade Mage posted:

Smart steering and auto-accelerate options too kiddy for her?

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Luigi is Not Enough.

The Rabbids will return in You Only Fart Twice.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

enojy posted:

That sounds like it would suck all the fun out of the game. All you gotta do to drift is just hop... then fiddle with the analog stick...

Fiddling isn't even required!

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

Coaaab posted:

Smart steering and auto-accelerate options too kiddy for her?

Smart steering is a partial solution she does use, but it makes all of her turns always go pretty wide because it won't kick in until it thinks you're gonna go off the course.

She was a terrifying force to be reckoned with when playing Mario Kart wii on automatic (I could beat her maybe one in ten times), now she's got to relearn how to drive.

While I wouldn't find automatic drifting fun, she does, and so it was lovely to see something so trivial ruin someone's experience in a game.

Edit: also she put like 200+ hours into playing Mario Kart with an option that no longer exists. That would suck for anyone in any game I think we could all agree

Jade Mage fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Sep 19, 2017

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

What the heck is automatic drifting?

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

Takoluka posted:

What the heck is automatic drifting?

Instead of pressing a button to turn more, you just steer. The more you push a direction, the more it turns. It just simplifies it.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
She sounds like a scrub.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

She sounds like a scrub.

200 hours without learning how to actually play....*shakes head sadly*

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
That's a complete non issue for anyone posting on video game forums more than likely

Rabbids looks cool but Mario Kart is chock full of content and a gold standard Nintendo title

I got Zelda plus Mario Kart as my inagural titles and it's such a fantastic package, I'm curious about rabbids and will eventually play it because it looks great but I doubt it comes close to these new nintendo classics

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

KingSlime posted:

That's a complete non issue for anyone posting on video game forums more than likely

Rabbids looks cool but Mario Kart is chock full of content and a gold standard Nintendo title

I got Zelda plus Mario Kart as my inagural titles and it's such a fantastic package, I'm curious about rabbids and will eventually play it because it looks great but I doubt it comes close to these new nintendo classics

If you have people to play locally with, Kart is a game that will never get old. It is a game that makes the portability worth it alone and tempts me constantly to get a second dock.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

Nephzinho posted:

If you have people to play locally with, Kart is a game that will never get old. It is a game that makes the portability worth it alone and tempts me constantly to get a second dock.

Hell yeah, that plus the switch being bundled with two "controllers" made Mario kart a no brainier for me

Also why I chose digital for MK. I might sell Zelda once I get my fill but sheeeit I'm gonna have MK perma installed on my switch forever and ever because multiplayer and online

Where's smash Bros dx??

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Yeah, smart steering/auto accelerate/ auto drift are literally designed for kids who don't have the coordination.

If your grown rear end girlfriend can't figure out how to drift that's on her. Assuming you're not constantly playing on 200cc. An adult can figure out how to drift just by playing time trial two or three times.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Yeah if you have Zelda you can probably hold off on Rabbids. I have too many games for my Switch and new ones just keep getting priority over old ones. :( I did clear Sonic Mania last week, but I don't have all the emeralds (and probably haven't faced the true Final Boss. Rabbids I've played a couple of times but I'm still in Chapter 1 or whatever.

Everything is pretty much on hold now though because of Samus Returns. :(

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Yeah I didn't wanna be mean but it really sounds like a personal problem.

It's not really a tall order for any half coordinated human over the age of 8, let alone someone who has played these games for over 100 hours as we ARE talking about a Nintendo car game here...

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Auto-accelerate isn't really a crutch I'd say, it's just that on anything below 200cc you're gonna have a vice grip on the accelerator anyhow.

Drifting is a big hurdle for people who don't play Mario Kart a lot and I for one would really like to see more options that allow my drunk friends to complete with me.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Beastie posted:

If your grown rear end girlfriend can't figure out how to drift that's on her. Assuming you're not constantly playing on 200cc. An adult can figure out how to drift just by playing time trial two or three times.

I know multiple people who just don't "get" video games and feel left out any time they come out, steering assist doesn't exactly make them competitive but it keeps them from being lapped and feel like they can at least play the game. Even playing on 150cc some people are just bad at games.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

My girlfriend learned how to semi-reliably drift in two laps of time trial. Ever since then our games on 150cc are a hell of a lot closer.

She will never win.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*
I don't have any issues with Auto-drifting or any handicap mechanics they'll put in to help. But if you're gonna invest 200 hours into a game and don't have an actual physical need to use those (which would be a big deal, but it doesn't sound like that's the case here)....then yeah she should just learn to git gud.

Though I also don't really think it excuses not putting it in when it was in a previous game. Nothing wrong with retaining accessibility functions.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Autoaccelerate is really nice for when you're just playing on a single JoyCon. It helps stave off cramps for a long time.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Jade Mage posted:

That would suck for anyone in any game I think we could all agree

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

She sounds like a scrub.

Wendell posted:

200 hours without learning how to actually play....*shakes head sadly*

Beastie posted:

If your grown rear end girlfriend can't figure out how to drift that's on her.

KingSlime posted:

Yeah I didn't wanna be mean but it really sounds like a personal problem.

It's not really a tall order for any half coordinated human over the age of 8, let alone someone who has played these games for over 100 hours as we ARE talking about a Nintendo car game here...

lmao

You seem to have touched a nerve with your anecdote.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Chieves posted:

Autoaccelerate is really nice for when you're just playing on a single JoyCon. It helps stave off cramps for a long time.

It's always nice! I even used it through all of 200cc, since braking still works.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

If me and my friends are that drunk we just make a rule that says 150cc no drifting to even the playing field.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
All this Mario Kart talk made me break down and buy it. Curse my slow internet, I have to wait an hour to play :argh:

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I wish auto accelerate was more like an 'invert accelerate' where you could press A to turn the accelerater off, as a half-braking method.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

well why not posted:

I wish auto accelerate was more like an 'invert accelerate' where you could press A to turn the accelerater off, as a half-braking method.

Some sort of half-A press? :can:

• Locked thread